Who said Crysis couldn't be done on consoles?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaGamingGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DaGamingGod
Member since 2008 • 1041 Posts

I stated months ago that Crysis COULD be done on consoles and I got "owned" by a bunch of folks claiming that Crysis as we know it, could never run on the Xbox 360 or PS3. Guess some folks don't know as much as they think they do....

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
Consoles lack the necessary amount of ram to run Crysis.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

I stated months ago that Crysis COULD be done on consoles and I got "owned" by a bunch of folks claiming that Crysis as we know it, could never run on the Xbox 360 or PS3. Guess some folks don't know as much as they think they do....

DaGamingGod

which console have you played Crysis on?

DaGamingGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaGamingGod

[QUOTE="DaGamingGod"]

Fizzman

When did I mention anything about playing a console version of Crysis? I'm not sure if they'll ever port Crysis over to the consoles but if they chose to do so, they can obviously get the job done.

"In an in-depth look at CryEngine 3 (the latest iteration of Crytek's incredible tech) in this month's Edge magazine, Mark Atkinson, Crytek's director of technology, has plenty to say about the hugely promising console versions of the engine. "Everyone said we couldn't do this on a console," he said to Edge, "We did it." Claiming the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of CryEngine 3 are "equivalent to medium- to high-spec PC settings" and coming complete with all the dynamic scenery and destructability from its big brother, we have high hopes for the first games to use this beast."

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 DeckardLee
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

The environments are not as big and CryEngine 3 is a pathetic engine on consoles when compared to CryEngine 2. Of course, they can make a watered-down port run. I don't think anyone denied that.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="DaGamingGod"]

DaGamingGod

When did I mention anything about playing a console version of Crysis?

"In an in-depth look at CryEngine 3 (the latest iteration of Crytek's incredible tech) in this month's Edge magazine, Mark Atkinson, Crytek's director of technology, has plenty to say about the hugely promising console versions of the engine. "Everyone said we couldn't do this on a console," he said to Edge, "We did it." Claiming the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of CryEngine 3 are "equivalent to medium- to high-spec PC settings" and coming complete with all the dynamic scenery and destructibility from its big brother, we have high hopes for the first games to use this beast."

You missed out the bit where Crytech said that Crysis would never be ported because so much would have to be removed it would not be the same game, the Crysis thing was a tech demo for the engine. You simply can't have a continuous landscape at the necessary graphical fidelity.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

1. Consoles lack the ram necessary to run Crysis as it currently is on PC.

2. Cry Engine 3 looks good, don't get me wrong. I personally want to see something other than a watered down version of it though. In other words, wait till you see the PC iteration of the engine. Crytek already said it'll blow away the other iterations.

3. Crysis isn't on consoles...get over it. How long does this have to be pointed out?

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="DaGamingGod"]

DaGamingGod

When did I mention anything about playing a console version of Crysis? I'm not sure if they'll ever port Crysis over to the consoles but if they chose to do so, they can obviously get the job done.

"In an in-depth look at CryEngine 3 (the latest iteration of Crytek's incredible tech) in this month's Edge magazine, Mark Atkinson, Crytek's director of technology, has plenty to say about the hugely promising console versions of the engine. "Everyone said we couldn't do this on a console," he said to Edge, "We did it." Claiming the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of CryEngine 3 are "equivalent to medium- to high-spec PC settings" and coming complete with all the dynamic scenery and destructability from its big brother, we have high hopes for the first games to use this beast."

maybe you missed the video...where it was pretty clear that the console versions werent even close to the PC versions.

or do you not remember this.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

Consoles lack a lot of things to run Crysis, just because a form of Cryengine is on consoles doesn't mean Crysis is coming to consoles or that the games that do use it will be very good.

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DeckardLee

The more I read that quote the more I'm convinced that they flat-out told you that Crysis as it is on PC cannot be done on consoles. I find it hilarious that you don't see this.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -snorlax-
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

crysis can run on cosoles and the "downgrade" wouldnt be all the noticable if crytek did a really good job porting it.

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
Well I believe it was Crytek themselves who said it couldn't run it its current form on consoles due to memory restrictions so don't blame us if they lied. Tho I think it was pretty obvious that if they wanted they could do it just by adding some checkpoints, changing some of the things with the AI and stuff like that. But I think the point always was that it couldn't be done the same way as on a high-end PC and I think that's still true, I've played Crysis on medium-to-high settings and I wasn't too impressed.
DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DeckardLee

@-snorlax-: Learn technology please. They've demonstrated themselves that it cannot be done. If it could, they would've ported it.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

DaGamingGod

CryEngine 3 tech demo =/= Crysis.

What's sad is we have been explaining the memory issue since 2007 and console users STILL don't get it.

DaGamingGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaGamingGod

The environments are not as big and CryEngine 3 is a pathetic engine on consoles when compared to CryEngine 2. Of course, they can make a watered-down port run. I don't think anyone denied that.

DeckardLee

Seems like you're the only person that understood my statement. Crysis CAN be done on consoles. I'm sure it would be watered-down though.

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeckardLee

So why would you bother playing a watered-down port when you can buy a PC that maxes Crysis at medium resolution for so cheap now; especially, when the new AMD CPUs come out and the DX11 cards which will make past CPUs and graphics cards that max Crysis a lot cheaper.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -snorlax-

^ Learn technology please. They've demonstrated themselves that it cannot be done. If it could, they would've ported it.

DeckardLee
didnt say it would run 100% like on the pc but a port can be done. read better plz
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Crysis as we know it can't be done on consoles.

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DeckardLee

[QUOTE="DeckardLee"]

^ Learn technology please. They've demonstrated themselves that it cannot be done. If it could, they would've ported it.

-snorlax-

didnt say it would run 100% like on the pc but a port can be done. read better plz

Fine. If by "port well" you meant remove half the map and make a lot of the rest uninteractable then sure, it can be done. Easily.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -snorlax-

So why would you bother playing a watered-down port when you can buy a PC that maxes Crysis at medium resolution for so cheap now; especially, when the new AMD CPUs come out and the DX11 cards which will make past CPUs and graphics cards that max Crysis a lot cheaper.

DeckardLee

personally i dont care for the game. i think it got all the initial hype becuz of its graphics and dx10. im sure its a good game but i have plenty of fps that i enjoy that dont require my pc to become a nuclear powerplant. im exaggerating of course but u get the picture

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

[QUOTE="DeckardLee"]

-snorlax-

A port can always be done. They could put it on the Wii if they wanted to. Thing is, it wouldn't be Crysis as we know it. ;)

It wouldn't run anywhere near 100% like on the PC. It would be EXTREMELY watered down on PS3/360/or Wii. Anyone who played both FarCry on PC and then Farcry Instincts on the Xbox will know what i'm talking about. Two completely different games.

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
Did you know the Wii can run almost every engine that the PS3/360 can run? Do you think the Wii will ever have as good looking as games as either the PS3/360?
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="DeckardLee"]

DeckardLee

Fine. If by "port well" you meant remove half the map and make a lot of the rest uninteractable then sure, it can be done. Easily.

a console port of Crysis would basically make it a linear shooter with "levels" and no backtracking. SOUNDS AWESOME already heading over to EBgames to preorder mine........

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="DeckardLee"]

-snorlax-

personally i dont care for the game. i think its all hype becuz of its graphics. im sure its a good game but i have plenty of fps that i enjoy that dont require my pc to become a nuclear powerplant. im exaggerating of course but u get the picture

Well as valid as that is, it's pointless in this thread. Crysis as it is can't be done on a console.

I'm still looking foreward to my anual bonus so I can get a proper gaming rig. After that the 360 will be useless, the Wii will be as useless as always and the PS3 will be a glorified Blu-Ray player with a few must-have exclusives.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#25 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Although the graphics can be downgraded the big issue is not because of the graphics but because of the scale of the levels. Everything in Crysis can be inerative from 1000 feet away and consoles just don't have enough power to handle all that physics.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -snorlax-

[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="DeckardLee"]

Filthybastrd

personally i dont care for the game. i think its all hype becuz of its graphics. im sure its a good game but i have plenty of fps that i enjoy that dont require my pc to become a nuclear powerplant. im exaggerating of course but u get the picture

Well as valid as that is, it's pointless in this thread. Crysis as it is can't be done on a console.

I'm still looking foreward to my anual bonus so I can get a proper gaming rig. After that the 360 will be useless, the Wii will be as useless as always and the PS3 will be a glorified Blu-Ray player with a few must-have exclusives.

pointless? all im saying is that it can... it just wouldnt be "up to snuff" to the pc enthusiasts.
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="DaGamingGod"]

DaGamingGod

Alright!!! I love playing crysis on medium-high specs!!!! Especially with that really sexy draw distance they are gonna have with such a small amount of ram to work with... woot????
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

http://www.pcplay.hr/modules.php?r=23&id=15

PC Play:You confirmed that it's impossible to make Crysis run on an console, but yet there are constant rumors that it's nearly inevitable. Can you finally give us, our readers, and the industry the final answer on that matter? Is Crysis going to be ported to a console?

Cevat Yerli: Crysis as we have seen is impossible. Crysis would have to be largely changed to bring it to Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Crysis is designed to be PC Exclusive. Our internal focus is not linked to bring Crysis to consoles.
Article

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BoloTheGreat

maybe you missed the video...where it was pretty clear that the console versions werent even close to the PC versions.

cobrax75

Let's do a fun comparison :twisted:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2596/crysis2008011001532504hf8.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2294/crysis2008011204422151ku4.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4374/crysis2008011213535078ep3.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6769/crysis2008011213561882cy1.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5623/crysis2008011205030632yd8.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6158/crysis2008042703173895xa6.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2015/screenshot0343fu6.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9213/crysis2008042703154103ta2.jpg

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

BoloTheGreat

Let's do a fun comparison :twisted:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2596/crysis2008011001532504hf8.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2294/crysis2008011204422151ku4.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4374/crysis2008011213535078ep3.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6769/crysis2008011213561882cy1.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5623/crysis2008011205030632yd8.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6158/crysis2008042703173895xa6.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2015/screenshot0343fu6.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9213/crysis2008042703154103ta2.jpg

I assume those pics are with mods? That looks amazing,

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

The CEO of Crytek talking about the Crysis console problem in 2007.

The CEO of Crytek talking about the Crysis console problem in 2008.

The CEO of Crytek talking about the Crysis console problem in 2009.

How long until this sinks in?

People who would have the game changed to make it work on consoles aren't interested in playing it, they only want something called Crysis on their system to gloat about.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BoloTheGreat
Filthy! Quick, delete all those pics fro, your post!! You will get modded so hard!
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Don't quote pictures guys...

Crysis in it's current form CAN NOT be done on consoles. There is not enough ram for that. It could run on Low-Medium if you get loading screens every few mintues...

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DeckardLee

No, those pictures are without mods. A modded Crysis looks far, far, far better.

DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DeckardLee

No, those pictures are without mods. A modded Crysis looks far, far, far better.

muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
IMO Cryengine 3 on consoles looks horrible. It seems every aspect got downgraded, textures, lighting, shaders, everything. After playing Crysis on PC and some of its mods, I can say that Cryengine 3 looks about 4x worse than CE2 on PC. No way can Crysis in its present for be done of any console, otherwise it wouldn't be Crysis.
BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BoloTheGreat

DeckardLee
Those pics are not modded but they are tweaked slightly (not mine but i do know the guy who's they are) Hell they are not even maxed, there is very little AA/AF in those pics.
BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BoloTheGreat

People who would have the game changed to make it work on consoles aren't interested in playing it, they only want something called Crysis on their system to gloat about.

AnnoyedDragon
Nice work, straight from the houses mouth. They should sticky this along with which some pics of "Clear Sky" so people can at least know what they are on about :P
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Filthybastrd

DeckardLee

Awesome.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

they could do it fine. it would just be missing the shock value you can get on a high end PC. that game truely does look "OMG"

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="DeckardLee"]

BoloTheGreat

Those pics are not modded but they are tweaked slightly (not mine but i do know the guy who's they are) Hell they are not even maxed, there is very little AA/AF in those pics.

The pics may not be set at the highest graphics, but they are using custom levels. Those aren't actual scenes in the game. Custom levels usually consist of smaller areas, but with either more vegetation and/or better placed vegetation and many custom levels look much better than the actual game levels.

Also, the use of sprites, the TOD and self-shadowed grass makes a big difference in performance/quality.

-Traveller-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Traveller-
Member since 2009 • 2477 Posts

Well I think it's been proven AGAIN that Crysis in it's current form, cannot be done on consoles.

Good job! :D

Night-Wolf93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Night-Wolf93
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts

Even if Crysis came out on consoles or even on a new consoles i would't care,,meh...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

AnnoyedDragon
Every time its posted, straight from the CEO himself. Fanboys refuse to listen.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="DeckardLee"]

DaGamingGod

Seems like you're the only person that understood my statement. Crysis CAN be done on consoles. I'm sure it would be watered-down though.

No... you said we could port Crysis like it is now on PC to Console... don't change your argument.

xscott1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xscott1018
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
it will never come to consoles.
Kicker_of_Cans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kicker_of_Cans
Member since 2009 • 444 Posts
It's funny that even a quote from the CEO himself is just ignored, and fanboys just continue their pointless bantering. Why do these threads still exist almost after 2 years Crysis was released? Don't you think it would've come to consoles by now if it was possible? Of course, let's just not listen to the CEO of Crytek because there's just no way that he can be right about his own engine :roll:
TemplaerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 TemplaerDude
Member since 2003 • 15254 Posts
It can't be done. Period.
GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts

The more I read that quote the more I'm convinced that they flat-out told you that Crysis as it is on PC cannot be done on consoles. I find it hilarious that you don't see this.

DeckardLee
Cevat Yerly , crytek's CEO said it himself, crysis as it is will NEVER exist on consoles, why do they keep asking? besides, they ALWAYS say "we dont care for crysis blah blah blah" but then, when you get a form of crysis on consoles, (a FORM, which is a kind word to say pathetic downgrade) you're all proud about it :roll:
GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
It's funny that even a quote from the CEO himself is just ignored, and fanboys just continue their pointless bantering. Why do these threads still exist almost after 2 years Crysis was released? Don't you think it would've come to consoles by now if it was possible? Of course, let's just not listen to the CEO of Crytek because there's just no way that he can be right about his own engine :roll:Kicker_of_Cans
seriously, are these guys blind? i mean seriously, it cant be done, cevat ****ing yerly said it, why arent they listening?