Who is really holding the industry back?

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Is it consoles? Casuals? Publishers? Devs? Outdated hardware? Gaming sites and zines? Fanbases?

Discuss.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Fanboys, and hype.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Fanbases imo.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I don't really have a good answer to that question. I do think that design philosophy is losing out to other superficial things however. Not to say that games are poorly designed now a days, they are still just as well done and often better but a lot of the care and detail now doesn't seem to be there as much. I think the console model is broken also, I think it needs to change.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
What are you talking about? The Industry is growing and is one of the biggest entertainment industries in the WORLD, if not, the number one. No one is holding it back... The direction, is a different question and you didn't ask that sooo, yea.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Stupid developers and greedy publishers. Oh, and the sheep that buy bad games because of the hype.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
Would have to say us gamers.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Forgot to add: pirates and non-gamers :P

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ActicEdge

Stupid developers and greedy publishers. Oh, and the sheep that buy bad games because of the hype.

DarkLink77

Are you actually trying to tell people that their taste should be defined by what you think is good and not on what they like? Are you trying to tell me how to spend my money?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Publishers more than anything. Developers/Fanbases have an equal share as well though...

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

ActicEdge

Are you actually trying to tell people that their taste should be defined by what you think is good and not on what they like? Are you trying to tell me how to spend my money?

Nope. I'm talking about the people who don't know better and buy things because they're popular.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Espada12

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

ActicEdge

I don't think he meant sheep as in SW sheep! I think he was more so talking about those people who prove that effective marketing has more to do with the success of a game or console rather than how good it is.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

If anything's holding it back, it's probably piracy and annual rehashes.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
In what way is the industry being held back?
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
The industry isn't being held back at all.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Budgets.

Large budget game = low risk. You wouldn't try something really unique with a 20 million dollar budget.

We are seeing an increase in PSN. XBLA, and PC indie games because of this. They seem to be more unique and innovative that most of the big budget titles.

Last gen game budgets weren't nearly as large as our expectations for quality weren't as hard. A game today needs to have certain production standards to be pasable by audiences and that costs money. It's much more difficult for a publisher to invest in a game that has some really unique stuff going on and could be a massive flop gameplay wise.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Espada12

I don't think he meant sheep as in SW sheep! I think he was more so talking about those people who prove that effective marketing has more to do with the success of a game or console rather than how good it is.

I know he didn't mean sheep literally :P

I meant that its ridiculous to apply an indiividual standard of good and bad to everyone. I also think the idea that people who buy things off hype are a problem is ridiculous. Again, they aren't buying to impress anyone, who are you to tell them they are wasting money or that how they judge "worth a purchase" is wrong? I think the mentality that you have the right to judge how other people spend their money that they go out and work their asses off foris really shallow.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Espada12

In what way is the industry being held back?IronBass

Lack of risk taking by major devs and publishers?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="IronBass"]In what way is the industry being held back?Espada12

That would be true under the (unrealistic) sceneario that a risky game is automatically a better game than a conservative one, or that major devs are the only ones who move the industry.

But that's not the case.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I meant that its ridiculous to apply an indiividual standard of good and bad to everyone. I also think the idea that people who buy things off hype are a problem is ridiculous. Again, they aren't buying to impress anyone, who are you to tell them they are wasting money or that how they judge "worth a purchase" is wrong? I think the mentality that you have the right to judge how other people spend their money that they go out and work their asses off foris really shallow.

They're entitled to spend their money however they want, and I'm entitled to think that the fact that they only buy annual franchises that are being cloned left and right to make a quick buck because that's what sells is bad for the industry.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Nope. I'm talking about the people who don't know better and buy things because they're popular.

This applies to every industry. That said who's to say they didn't enjoy their buy? Who's to say they have expectations as high as you? who's to say they care for gaming enough to follow news and look at reviews? Who's to say that want to take the opinion of some forum or website into account? Who's to say that they justwant to see what all the hype is about? Is there anything wrong with that? You're simplifying and its extremely bad.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Budget

Budget because it costs more to develop games this gen so most developers aren't taking a risk the only ones that are taking risks are indie developers or developers for handheld systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Video game budgets.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

DarkLink77

They're entitled to spend their money however they want, and I'm entitled to think that the fact that they only buy annual franchises that are being cloned left and right to make a quick buck because that's what sells is bad for the industry.

You're entitled to that thought (even if its extremely flawed) but you should probably explain to me how its bad for the industry. Right now your explanation is just noise, why is this bad again?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]In what way is the industry being held back?IronBass

That would be true under the (unrealistic) sceneario that a risky game is automatically a better game than a conservative one. But that's not the case.

I am not saying that innovation = teh better, I've always argued against that, but no one but indie devs are taking risks and not only that, the bigger devs are being forced by publishers to make their games similar to the top selling ones. It is honestly making gaming quite a bit stale in that regard. Though I still have fun with them I can't shake the been there done that feel with alot of games.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Budget

Budget because it costs more to develop games this gen so most developers aren't taking a risk the only ones that are taking risks are indie developers or developers for handheld systems.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Exactly what I said. It's unfortunate, but we've set standards for video games that are difficult to meet with smaller budgets.

However there are still games like Red Orchestra 2 on the way which go against the grain quite well.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Consoles have a lot of problems.

Casuals normally don't search up on games and buy simple games.

Publishers are greedy.

Devs are lazy.

Outdated hardware prevents games from looking better, which is why I game on PC.

Gaming journalism is laughable these days and have some contradictions.

Fanbases whine too much.

Fanboys are selfish.

Hype makes games better than they should be when a lot of them don't live up to the hype.

Budgets affect the success of certain games.

DLC is a rip off half the time, just an excuse to take stuff out and charge later.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

You're entitled to that thought (even if its extremely flawed) but you should probably explain to me how its bad for the industry. Right now your explanation is just noise, why is this bad again?

I have to explain why the flood of mediocre, cash-in shooters and franchises losing their identity to be just like Call of Duty (and that's just one example) is a bad thing?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ActicEdge

To everyone saying budgeting, how do you propose that this issue is fixed. You want to reduce budget you need to reduce work load and that means you need to make games easier to build. You can't make something easier to build if technology is pushing forward and everyone wants to out do each other.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63f6895020e66

I am not saying that innovation = teh better, I've always argued against that, but no one but indie devs are taking risks and not only that, the bigger devs are being forced by publishers to make their games similar to the top selling ones. It is honestly making gaming quite a bit stale in that regard. Though I still have fun with them I can't shake the been there done that feel with alot of games.Espada12

That's nothing new. Developers trying to make games similar to the most popular ones have existed since the beginning of gaming.

On that regard, gaming has moved forward a lot this gen thanks to the increasing popularity of indie games and cheaper platforms to develop for like XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/AppStore, etc.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkLink77

To everyone saying budgeting, how do you propose that this issue is fixed. You want to reduce budget you need to reduce work load and that means you need to make games easier to build. You can't make something easier to build if technology is pushing forward and everyone wants to out do each other.

ActicEdge
Make smaller, downloadable games? Make retro style games? Those games can still be amazing and not break the bank.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 i5750at4Ghz
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] They're entitled to spend their money however they want, and I'm entitled to think that the fact that they only buy annual franchises that are being cloned left and right to make a quick buck because that's what sells is bad for the industry.DarkLink77

I have to explain why the flood of mediocre, cash-in shooters and franchises losing their identity to be just like Call of Duty (and that's just one example) is a bad thing?

Considering the vast majority of gamers enjoy COD, yeah you do. Bad for you != bad for gamers in general.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] They're entitled to spend their money however they want, and I'm entitled to think that the fact that they only buy annual franchises that are being cloned left and right to make a quick buck because that's what sells is bad for the industry.DarkLink77

Yes. Last time I checked franchises rise and fall all the time and mediocore cash in games have existed far longer then COD has. Yet in the SNES days and even PS1 I would hardly say this industry was heading for stormy seas.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Make smaller, downloadable games? Make retro style games? Those games can still be amazing and not break the bank.DarkLink77
And we've got a lot of them this gen. So where's the problem?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Make smaller, downloadable games? Make retro style games? Those games can still be amazing and not break the bank.IronBass

You'll notice I didn't say budget was the problem. I was just answering a question.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Make smaller, downloadable games? Make retro style games? Those games can still be amazing and not break the bank.IronBass

I feel like if there is one problem with this industry its that its difficult to allow anyone willing to buy a game have the ability to do so. That's my biggest issue. I think games cost too much money (and yeah I know they use to be even more expesive but in the same notion the market did grow when games became cheaper whether that is a linear correlation or not remains to be seen) both to make and to buy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63f6895020e66
You'll notice I didn't say budget was the problem. I was just answering a question.DarkLink77
A question directed to those who think budget was a problem. If you don't think that, then ignore my question.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkLink77

i5750at4Ghz

Considering the vast majority of gamers enjoy COD, yeah you do. Bad for you != bad for gamers in general.

Lack of variety is bad for gamers in general, I don't care what you enjoy. Everything being the same is not good.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

DarkLink77

Make smaller, downloadable games? Make retro style games? Those games can still be amazing and not break the bank.

I love retro style games and smaller games but really, I know people aren't going to be satisfied just playing smaller games forever. I'm talking about a solution to reduce budget while keepinggames moving forward in technology. (I actually don't care for this route but this has been pushed by SW so I want a SW answer)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Fanboyism, hype, review scores, trends, commercialism, pirates, hackers, dlc, corporate greed, bias, racism, capitalism, elitism, ignorance, lack of broadband growth, national economies, and so on.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I have to explain why the flood of mediocre, cash-in shooters and franchises losing their identity to be just like Call of Duty (and that's just one example) is a bad thing?DarkLink77

Lack of variety is bad for gamers in general, I don't care what you enjoy. Everything being the same is not good.

Since when is everything the same? Since when is there a lack of variety in games? You're simply talking about games taking features from other popular games. Which is a smart thing to do.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkLink77

ActicEdge

I love retro style games and smaller games but really, I know people aren't going to be satisfied just playing smaller games forever. I'm talking about a solution to reduce budget while keepinggames moving forward in technology. (I actually don't care for this route but this has been pushed by SW so I want a SW answer)

No idea, but then again, I'm not really concerned with budget size as an issue. It's manageable.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Development costs. Developers can't afford to take big risks to appeal to a niche audience anymore, not when the price of making a game is sky rocketing and they can't guarantee a return.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 i5750at4Ghz
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]Development costs. Developers can't afford to take big risks to appeal to a niche audience anymore, not when the price of making a game is sky rocketing and they can't guarantee a return.

Just a quick question. When has this ever not been true?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] Considering the vast majority of gamers enjoy COD, yeah you do. Bad for you != bad for gamers in general.i5750at4Ghz

Since when is everything the same? Since when is there a lack of variety in games? You're simply talking about games taking features from other popular games. Which is a smart thing to do.

Not if it means losing the identity of that series. Borrowing is okay in moderation, like everything else.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Make smaller, downloadable games? Make retro style games? Those games can still be amazing and not break the bank.DarkLink77

No idea, but then again, I'm not really concerned with budget size as an issue. It's manageable.

Fair enough, I think its an issue, I think that if games weren't so expensive to make, they could be sold for cheaper and the market could be expanded. I'd buy a lot of games at $30, I won't buy many games at a $60 price point.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarkLink77

ActicEdge

Fair enough, I think its an issue, I think that if games weren't so expensive to make, they could be sold for cheaper and the market could be expanded. I'd buy a lot of games at $30, I won't buy many games at a $60 price point.

I think, for certain titles, that's a really good solution. There are so many games I'd buy at say $30-40, as opposed to $60, and I don't think I'm alone there.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 i5750at4Ghz
[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Not if it means losing the identity of that series. Borrowing is okay in moderation, like everything else.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but what series lost it's identity?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]

i5750at4Ghz

Sorry to keep asking questions, but what series lost it's identity?

From what I've played/seen, Crysis has lost what made it Crysis in many regards. I can't say for certain as I have not played the full game, but it looks that way. I also believe that Dragon Age lost a lot of what made it Dragon Age when it tried to be like Mass Effect.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I have to explain why the flood of mediocre, cash-in shooters and franchises losing their identity to be just like Call of Duty (and that's just one example) is a bad thing?DarkLink77

what about during the NES/SNES era when 2d platformers ruled the gaming industry? was the industry being held back then? seems we came out of that ok...

this is no different.