Who invented region-locking of digital content and to what purpose?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I just bought Crysis 2 digital download for 360 for a bit less than 10 bucks and it only works in the USA but the seller didn't disclose it (after all I was buying it from Polish auction site, and I live in Poland)...I cannot download it due to the region-lock (it turns out it's for the USA) but I wonder why the hell they invented such thing as a region-lock of digital content in the first place? It's not even a video where certain countries have different copyrights, etc. It's a game that should work in any country in the world!!! Give me just 1 logical reason. (BTW you can also PM me if you're interested in getting the game...)

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

Some games cant be certified or rated in certain countries. Sometimes that content cant be edited out without changing the game significantly

Sometimes its just that the fees, taxes, and tarifs on video games are so high that it isnt worth it

Sometimes piracy is very high in that country that it isnt worth it

Sometimes its up to the publisher, etc.

Most digital games are subject to the same rules and physical copies, so it may just come down to the publisher choice, or content in the game.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

Some games cant be certified or rated in certain countries. Sometimes that content cant be edited out without changing the game significantly

Sometimes its just that the fees, taxes, and tarifs on video games are so high that it isnt worth it

Most digital games are subject to the same rules and physical copies, so it may just come down to the publisher choice, or content in the game.

navyguy21
this, plus it allows for region specific pricing.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Import galore, game price in Japan is quite expensive.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

LoG-Sacrament

Yep, well put.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

LoG-Sacrament

I was reading the other day that many Japanese otakus are importing anime blu-rays from America because they are way cheaper than in Japan and now some anime companies want to region lock the content to force them to buy the stuff locally. But if you ask me the only thing this will do is to encourage piracy... But who can blame them? The exchange rates between Japan and America are crazy high, this is one of the reasons of why Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, etc. are near bankruptcy.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

navyguy21

Bolded is not a reason for region locking.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GD1551

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="navyguy21"]

Gue1

I was reading the other day that many Japanese otakus are importing anime blu-rays from America because they are way cheaper than in Japan and now some anime companies want to region lock the content to force them to buy the stuff locally. But if you ask me the only thing this will do is to encourage piracy... But who can blame them? The exchange rates between Japan and America are crazy high, this is one of the reasons of why Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, etc. are near bankruptcy.

Heh anime prices are ridiculous in the US, I can only imagine what they are paying if it's cheaper to buy and import to japan.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

The simple answer would be the parties in that region want their hands in the cookie jar as well.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"] this, plus it allows for region specific pricing.GD1551

Heh anime prices are ridiculous in the US, I can only imagine what they are paying if it's cheaper to buy and import to japan.

Hundreds of dollars for a normal length show.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
Seriously? Seriously, you don't know the answer to this question? If systems weren't region-locked, countries that pay more for their games would import from other countries. And the Germans would not have their games censored and start World War III. They would just import gory games from Austria with the German language in tact and probably jerk off when they play really violent games like Dead Space... It's disgusting.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

LoG-Sacrament

In Oz, I find some of Valve's Steam prices to be ripoff compared to cdwow.com.au

For example

cdwow.com.au's FarCry 3 PC = $31.96 AUD

Valve Steam's FarCry 3 PC = $69.99 AUD

----

cdwow.com.au's Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 PC = $52.76 AUD

Valve Steam's Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 PC = $ $89.99 AUD

Our Aussie dollar(AUD) is on par with USD... Valve Steam in Oz = fail

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#13 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"] this, plus it allows for region specific pricing.GD1551

Anime expensive in the US? Not really. That is unless you get all your anime from best buy or suncoast (are they even still around? I just remember them being ridiculously overpriced). But right stuf has most of their anime really cheap. Some of their prices are sliced in half from the retail price. A $64 dvd will sometimes be $38 (like Deadman Wonderland).

But shoot, if anime is hundreds of dollars for an average length anime in Japan, then it makes sense to take either price over that.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Loads a money!
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
there was actually a thread about region-locking in general on GAF 2 days ago that has a lot of information: but most of the reasons have been listed here.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

im willing to bet it was done by a douche in suit.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GD1551

Anime expensive in the US? Not really. That is unless you get all your anime from best buy or suncoast (are they even still around? I just remember them being ridiculously overpriced). But right stuf has most of their anime really cheap. Some of their prices are sliced in half from the retail price. A $64 dvd will sometimes be $38 (like Deadman Wonderland).

But shoot, if anime is hundreds of dollars for an average length anime in Japan, then it makes sense to take either price over that.

Lucky_Krystal

Fate/Zero is still $370 US on that website and steins gate is 80..

DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

There is a way to trick your crap-box with the IP ! Search youtube !

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

It is BS, just that greedy companies want you to pay more in your region than others.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts

Because companies are run by a bunch of hypocrite @ssholes in suits that are proponent of globalisation only when it profit themselves but never the consumers. It's only normal for them to buy materials and get goods manufactured wherever it's the cheapest for them, but it would be an abomination for us consumers to want to buy from other countries when it profit us financialy.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
I know for fact there were some console bundles in Romania or Sweden which had like 2 boxed games and code for Crysis 2 digital download, and guess what - the code didn't work for them either :D Nice bundle, right?