Which of the big three will be the first to close down?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

Poll Which of the big three will be the first to close down? (60 votes)

Sony 30%
Microsoft 52%
Nintendo 18%

Which of these three gaming giants will be the first to close its games division? It almost seems as if three three have been at it forever, with sony winning some and Nintendo others but Microsoft none. Considering how they seem to care very little about games it appears they are starting to lose interest in their games division.

My picks is that next gen they sell the xbox brand to a new competitor. Probably Amazon.

• 
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

Seriously dude, give it a rest.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9818 Posts

Honestly. You need healing, as well as a life.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

microflop

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9818 Posts

@samfisher56: Genius... You come up with that yourself?

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Microsoft would never sell the Xbox brand but I can see them stepping out of the console market and rebranding Xbox as a PC gaming platform/service potentially, although even then I don't see it happening any time soon.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8477 Posts

All 3. Eventually they will all stop manufacturing hardware and shift to the services model.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

If one of them does, there will be plenty of fanboys around here that will Needhealing.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44100 Posts

Phony, the one and only is the correct answer. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

MS hopefully.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Do you get paid for thread views? No? Then why do you need a new poll every single day?

PouriaRj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PouriaRj
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

@undefined: Microsoft has so much money that they can easily buy the biggest publishers while Sony is losing money on literally all of their other divisions so if they make even one little mistake they'll go bankrupt.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Just be thankful theyre still in the console gaming market and not on smart phone games... but in saying that, I wouldnt miss MS' gaming products.

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

I'm going to take the unpopular vote and go with Nintendo. As much as I love their games, Microsoft and Sony have their electronics to fall back on if they ever drop out of the gaming market.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Techhog89

@johndmgs said:

I'm going to take the unpopular vote and go with Nintendo. As much as I love their games, Microsoft and Sony have their electronics to fall back on if they ever drop out of the gaming market.

You didn't read the OP, but I guess you just wanted to avoid catching OP's dumb.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@techhog89 said:

Do you get paid for thread views? No? Then why do you need a new poll every single day?

You need healing.

@sealionact said:

Honestly. You need healing, as well as a life.

You need healing.

@hrt_rulz01 said:

You need healing.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9403 Posts

Microsoft and Sony have too much other stuff going on outside of gaming.

Nintendo doesn't really do much else. You could argue that they're already not relevant anymore.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Microsoft will never close down, they have their fingers in too many pies, Sony's gaming division is making too much money...... so......

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

@johndmgs said:

Ah, the "I'm not X, but..." excuse.

@pyro1245 said:

Microsoft and Sony have too much other stuff going on outside of gaming.

Nintendo doesn't really do much else. You could argue that they're already not relevant anymore.

Then comes the Switch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

Nobody isn't closing shop anytime soon not when the money is booming my fellow gamer :)

@hrt_rulz01 said:

No way. We need more thread makers in SW unless you wanna start making threads here that is :P

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

None. Microsoft is all about games right now and its gaming division is doing pretty well. Even if it failed hard in the console space, it still has PC gaming to fall back on. Gaming is the most lucrative division of Sony's business right now (don't even start to talk about how badly its movie division is doing). Nintendo has always been all about games. Even if it somehow suffered a Sega-esque fall from grace in the console business, do you really think the market for Mario/Zelda/Starfox/Metroid/Pokemon/Smash Brothers is ever going to die off? Worst case scenario they end up like Sega, making games but not consoles.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think it's possible that Microsoft may continue making consoles well after the Xbox One and it may even try launching a different brand name. The living room is too important to Microsoft as a service and content delivery vehicle. Whether or not they continue with the Xbox brand name probably has a lot to do with how well the next generation console is received.

There is a lot of talk about other companies vying to make this a Big Four race from now on.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nintendoboy16

@theone86 said:

None. Microsoft is all about games right now and its gaming division is doing pretty well. Even if it failed hard in the console space, it still has PC gaming to fall back on. Gaming is the most lucrative division of Sony's business right now (don't even start to talk about how badly its movie division is doing). Nintendo has always been all about games. Even if it somehow suffered a Sega-esque fall from grace in the console business, do you really think the market for Mario/Zelda/Starfox/Metroid/Pokemon/Smash Brothers is ever going to die off? Worst case scenario they end up like Sega, making games but not consoles.

No, if you remember what happened to SEGA and Atari at all, it gets worse.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theone86

@nintendoboy16 said:
@theone86 said:

No, if you remember what happened to SEGA and Atari, it gets worse.

I'm a bit too young to remember Atari, but all I remember about Sega is they sold off their console business and made a bunch of bad games. Maybe their quality isn't what it was back in the Dreamcast days (but honestly, Sonic was getting to be pretty bad even then), but my point is they're still making games.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Where is the option for none of them. You fucking fanboys are the worse!

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9403 Posts

@nintendoboy16: I stand by my statement.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@pyro1245: the switch is selling like hot cakes nes and SNES classics sold like hot cakes and the 3ds sold like hot cakes I would Hardly call that irrelevant that said im going to go with Xbox Because they have yet to even see the market lead the closest they had was the 360 but everything did good last gen

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

@Xabiss said:

Welcome to System Wars. I'm DaVillain and I'll be your tour guide what we do here :)

Seriously, did you expect anything from the users you know to be any different?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

"Close down"? Since MSFT dwarfs the other 2 companies, it won't be them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nintendoboy16

@theone86 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@theone86 said:

I'm a bit too young to remember Atari, but all I remember about Sega is they sold off their console business and made a bunch of bad games. Maybe their quality isn't what it was back in the Dreamcast days (but honestly, Sonic was getting to be pretty bad even then), but my point is they're still making games.

Hence why it gets worse. SEGA releasing a ton of bad games after their last console was nuked out of the competition basically amounted to them being a shadow of their former self. Hell, two years into the mobile market and that's already proven to be a shitshow for Nintendo.

Besides, even if Nintendo games still got good reviews as a third party developer, there's still the sales and audience. And a game like Breath of the Wild would be considered shit compared to what other devs have brought.

Better to pull out with whatever semblence of positive reception they have left.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 theone86

@nintendoboy16 said:
@theone86 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@theone86 said:

Hence why it gets worse. SEGA releasing a ton of bad games after their last console was nuked out of the competition basically amounted to them being a shadow of their former self. Hell, two years into the mobile market and that's already proven to be a shitshow for Nintendo.

Besides, even if Nintendo games still got good reviews as a third party developer, there's still the sales and audience. And a game like Breath of the Wild would be considered shit compared to what other devs have brought.

Better to pull out with whatever semblence of positive reception they have left.

I think Nintendo would probably go a different route. Right now they outsource the development on most of their franchises and just distribute, while spending most of their resources developing a couple of big titles (usually Mario and Zelda). If they lost their console business I think it would mean fewer franchises (no more yearly Kirby releases), but more frequent titles for most of them (no more 10+ years between sequels to games like Starfox and Metroid Prime). I don't know that it would be better than what they're doing now, I'm not rooting for them to fail, but I don't think it would be as bad as Sega. Like I said, their most bankable franchise was already declining in quality before they sold off their console business.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Xabiss said:

Welcome to System Wars. I'm DaVillain and I'll be your tour guide what we do here :)

Seriously, did you expect anything from the users you know to be any different?

And I stand by my statement that fanboys are the worse.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

@theone86 said:

Microsoft is all about games right now

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17434 Posts

Market Cap (How much a publicly traded company is worth)

Microsoft: 716.6 Billion

Nintendo: 54.05 Bilion

Sony : 62.65 Billion.

The possibility that ANY of them going out of business is very slim considering their market cap, stock price, and the fact that they all are turning a profit.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

It's a hard call but I'm going with Sony,

They relay on their gaming division to stay a float, so if they ever had a fail similar to the Wii U they'd be toast

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theone86

@samfisher56 said:
@theone86 said:

Microsoft is all about games right now

https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/27/microsofts-xbox-gaming-division-generated-1-9-billion-last-quarter/

"The company reported the results of its fiscal Q3 today, and it revealed that it generated $1.928 billion in revenues from Xbox and Windows 10 gaming. That is up 4 percent year-over-year, according to Microsoft."

I don't think it's gaming division is likely to crash anytime soon, it's a very profitable part of their business.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

None of them. Anybody who wishes any of them to go, especially MS, is a crybaby pathetic miserable butthurt fanboy too scared of competition, especially when MS are involved.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44576 Posts

Sony mostly, since they're in the most precarious financial situation given the weight of the whole company rests on the shoulders of the gaming division. It isn't enough that their gaming division is successful on its own, it has to carry the entire company, and make up for the losses in its other divisions. That's a lot of responsibility. Just a lull in the divisions performance between generations could cause them to rush another console to market prematurely, and any misstep there could spell disaster if mismanaged.

I don't see Microsoft conceding this anytime soon considering that they recently gave Phil Spencer a seat at the big table as part of its senior leadership team, giving him more say in how the company uses its considerable resources. And given Nintendo's successful gambit by going the hybrid route, I don't see them leaving industry any time soon either, and given its handheld nature I expect it to attract more Japanese third party support in time, possibly taking from Sony of its advantages over the XB1 with regard to its third party exclusives it gets by default.

I was more thinking to myself the last few weeks that say if by 2030, if we were to work of the premise that neither of these companies would be around because they'd be bought out by other large companies, who would buy who? For that, I'd guess, Amazon would buy Microsoft, Sony would be bought out by Samsung, and Apple would buy Nintendo.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Sony and Microsoft both have other forms of revenue to compensate for lack of sales for several generations, Nintendo on the other hand doesn't so the only logical answer is Nintendo since if they fail to make sales of the consoles and games for a long enough period it could force them to close up shop.

Now I am not saying its GOING to happen I am saying its the more likely one out of the three because everything revolves around money, its like asking who would lose their house first if they get fired the guy with 10k savings or the guy with 3k savings?...

No company lasts forever, at some point the economy will take a dive and or a ceo could make a mistake or get greedy you never really know what can happen, just look at the PC gaming market DRAM shortages and low stock GPU's with high demand due to mining has cause PC gaming to momentarily fall head first into concrete.

I don't have a crystal ball but no company is exempt from failure but as long as you have enough headroom to survive like Microsoft and Sony you should be okay like Playstation and Xbox might die but Sony and Microsoft aren't going away any time soon but Nintendo if they fail they are gone completely.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I don't see either of them going out any time soon, nor would I want them to. It's a healthy, diverse, and competitive industry just the way things are right now.

Talking companies as a whole, MS is definitely here to stay. Stupid obvious.

But if we're strictly talking game divisions, specifically consoles, I'd guess that MS would be the first to bow out. Not because they'd have to, but because console gaming is chump change to them. For Sony and especially Nintendo, console (and handheld) gaming is their breadwinner. MS simply doesn't need it and aren't as invested in it.

Outside of consoles though, MS will always have a hand in PC gaming. Whereas Sony and Nintendo could (more) easily flop their way out of the gaming market with a string of poor choices.

In short, I think Nintendo is at the greatest risk for the long term, though MS would be more likely to pull the plug on their console business without flinching.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#40 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Steam.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

LOL is this guy for real?

I know system wars have had their crazies but this is just bad.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

Yawn.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Techhog89

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Sony and Microsoft both have other forms of revenue to compensate for lack of sales for several generations, Nintendo on the other hand doesn't so the only logical answer is Nintendo since if they fail to make sales of the consoles and games for a long enough period it could force them to close up shop.

Now I am not saying its GOING to happen I am saying its the more likely one out of the three because everything revolves around money, its like asking who would lose their house first if they get fired the guy with 10k savings or the guy with 3k savings?...

No company lasts forever, at some point the economy will take a dive and or a ceo could make a mistake or get greedy you never really know what can happen, just look at the PC gaming market DRAM shortages and low stock GPU's with high demand due to mining has cause PC gaming to momentarily fall head first into concrete.

I don't have a crystal ball but no company is exempt from failure but as long as you have enough headroom to survive like Microsoft and Sony you should be okay like Playstation and Xbox might die but Sony and Microsoft aren't going away any time soon but Nintendo if they fail they are gone completely.

You didn't read the OP. And Nintendo has been branching out and has the cash reserves to survive and shift to another industry anyway.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Microsoft isn't going anywhere due to their software division. As long as every business in the world uses Windows, Microsoft will be around. Even if they scrap Xbox, they will likely maintain their gaming division to publish for the PC.

Nintendo is extremely profitable and finds ways to sell even a turd (like the Wii). They're essentially the Apple of gaming.

Sony is the most precarious company of the three.