Which fighting franchise is the MOST technical?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 insomnia37
Member since 2004 • 1442 Posts

By most technical I mean deep in detail, moderate learning curve and variety in fighting styles.

To make this really simple: In the ______________ franchise, who is more likely to win? The intermidiate player or the novice/button masher player??

For me it would be the Tekken franchise. There are lots of characters with unique fighting styles and each have lots of moves. It's easy to get into this game but very hard to master. I think the advanced player has a very very good chance at beating a buttom masher. Maybe 85% for the tekken head. But I have to admite there are some characters you can buttom mash with and do a good job with.

There was a review I watched for VF and he claimed that button mashing won't get you anywhere b/c it's all about timing. If this is true I would have to say this is the deepest and most advanced fighting game, but unfortunately I have yet to see for my self.

Another game would be SF. The learning curve for the special moves and learning to use them instantley is important but this means it gets repetitive. But a button masher doesn't stand much of a chance.

Well that's my opinions what's yours?!!

P.S I wanted to add more games to the poll but couldn't!!

I wanted to add DoA, Blazblue, Fight Night, UFC & MK vs DC.

cdav89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cdav89
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

Why is Guilty Gear/Blazblue not on this list?!

Edit: Soz lol I just saw that at the end of your post. But yeah I believe Blazblue is the most technical fighting game

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
VF
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

Virtua Fighter of course

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Edit: Soz lol I just saw that at the end of your post. But yeah I believe Blazblue is the most technical fighting game

cdav89

If anyone knows anything about fighting games, then they would know that GG/BB have probably some of the most advance technical techniques ever. Another worthy mention would be SSBM.

As for 3d. I give the nod to VF though Tekken does have its tricks.

KittyHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KittyHeart
Member since 2009 • 1340 Posts

it is virtua fighter... not opinion but fact

ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts
Tekken!! :twisted: And horay for the Smashing Pumpkins mexicangordo!...WTF is billy trying to do in that picture? :?
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

The whole list is laughable because there is no Guilty Gear/Blaz Blue. Guilty Gear is also the most balanced fighting game series.

insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 insomnia37

it is virtua fighter... not opinion but fact

KittyHeart
As I mentioned I saw some reviews claiming it is very advanced. I am a huge 3D fighting fan and will check this one out!!!
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mexicangordo

Tekken!! :twisted: And horay for the Smashing Pumpkins mexicangordo!...WTF is billy trying to do in that picture? :?ImOldGreg
A nod to the Pumpkins on SW? Thats a first. And that picture was taken in 1995 when Billy was losing his hair, during the Mellon Collie era. He has his arm's shaped like an O to represent Zero, which no one knew at the time. ;)

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mexicangordo

The whole list is laughable because there is no Guilty Gear/Blaz Blue. Guilty Gear is also the most balanced fighting game series.

Burning-Sludge

Eddy says hello... Though it is one of the more balanced fighters.

insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 insomnia37

[QUOTE="cdav89"]

mexicangordo

If anyone knows anything about fighting games, then they would know that GG/BB have probably some of the most advance technical techniques ever. Another worthy mention would be SSBM.

I would have to disagree with SSBB. To me that was button masher paradise.
insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 insomnia37

Burning-Sludge
I couldn't add it to the poll but I mentioned it in the post script!!!
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="cdav89"]

insomnia37

I would have to disagree with SSBB. To me that was button masher paradise.

Good thing I said SSBM, and SSBB is still pretty advanced.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Scoob64

Burning-Sludge

have you seen the moves list for Virtua Fighter 5?

OPuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OPuniverse
Member since 2009 • 1943 Posts

I gotta go with SF. It is the most easy to pick up yet hard to master type of game. Very well rounded game. Blazblue take a considerable amount of time to learn the complexity of it (not very users friendly who are new). As for button mashing, I dont think it will get you anywhere when you are facing an experience player in all fighting games. Any new SF players can pick up and do this:

But It probably wont get you far. I was once a victim of this :P.

icygangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 icygangsta
Member since 2006 • 2897 Posts

It's definetely NOT tekken it's not easy at all to beat a SKILLED player - unless your whoring out with Eddy or Christie.

sonic_xa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sonic_xa
Member since 2005 • 163 Posts

anyone would know its virtua fighter for 3d fighter...its not just the move list the properties and the number of uses each move has is beyond any other 3d fighter...2D fighters would be more of a matter of preference between guilty gear and SF they both offer good variety yet have different strengths and weakness...i personally prefer SF

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

For 3d fighters its Virtua fighter

For 2D the guilty gear series is miles above the titles you named in that pathetic poll.

I cant wait to see what the Blazblue series will shape up to

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hot114

I guess this chart gives a good display of what any fighter feels like haha

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts

[QUOTE="ImOldGreg"]Tekken!! :twisted: And horay for the Smashing Pumpkins mexicangordo!...WTF is billy trying to do in that picture? :?mexicangordo

A nod to the Pumpkins on SW? Thats a first. And that picture was taken in 1995 when Billy was losing his hair, during the Mellon Collie era. He has his arm's shaped like an O to represent Zero, which no one knew at the time. ;)

I love Smashing Pumpkins... Now playing 1979 and Bullet with Butterfly Wings.
xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xxThyLordxx
Member since 2007 • 3200 Posts
Guilty Gear/BlazBlue. its not even up for debate. also 3D fighters can never be technical as 2D.
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Guilty Gear is.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Scoob64

Tekken is winning this poll- this shows the insane amount of fail in this message board... 90% of these kids probably haven't ever played a Virtua Fighter game...this is the FPS gen, arcade fighters are left in the cold...

ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="ImOldGreg"]Tekken!! :twisted: And horay for the Smashing Pumpkins mexicangordo!...WTF is billy trying to do in that picture? :?raskullibur

Big fan of them myself, From Rhinoceros to Try try try to Billy's solo work and Zwan. Though I thought I didn't know he actually lost his hair, I thought it was his own choice to get rid of those long lusterous locks of his! :P Where they ever featured in a guitar hero or rock band?
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Scoob64

Guilty Gear/BlazBlue. its not even up for debate. also 3D fighters can never be technical as 2D.xxThyLordxx

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... okay, I'm done.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hot114
Guilty Gear/BlazBlue. its not even up for debate. also 3D fighters can never be technical as 2D.xxThyLordxx
ignorance is... bliss?
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Scoob64

A few quotes I found on teh awnlinez...

"It is extremely difficult to fully master all 13 characters, all of them with speed, weight, power, defense and reversal techniques that completely vary, add the 100 per character moves, and it is truly difficult to simply take all of the characters at once." - LINK

"The Virtua Fighter series has been known as one of the most technical and advanced fighting games ever, only rivaled by the likes of the Soul Calibur and Tekken series. These days, VF seems to be the only 3D fighting game left that is actually going for "realism."" - LINK

"You know those 3D fighting games that are so popular nowadays? Well all of them -- Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive -- owe their inspiration to SEGA's Virtua Fighter. VF wasn't only the first 3D fighter, it was, and remains, one of the most technical fighters you'll ever play. Fireballs and fantastic creatures are eschewed in favor of mostly realistic fighting moves." - LINK

""SEGA delivers the most technical fighting game experience on Xbox 360 with this installment of the award-winning Virtua Fighter series,"" - LINK

"Otherwise, those who don't have as much experience with the coin-op will discover that Virtua Fighter 2 is hardly a mindless action game but rather a highly technical and totally fast-paced battle of wits. If you're a fighting game fan or if you're wondering what the fuss is all about, don't pass it up." - LINK

Try mastering Akira, then tell me this is not the most complex, technical fighting game out there...

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Scoob64

[QUOTE="xxThyLordxx"]Guilty Gear/BlazBlue. its not even up for debate. also 3D fighters can never be technical as 2D.hot114
ignorance is... bliss?

not sure how they could say that :\

Avatar image for SLIisaownsystem
SLIisaownsystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SLIisaownsystem
Member since 2009 • 964 Posts

tekken 6 it has motion blur on the movements. Soul Calibur has nice graphics too.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

VF. If you dont know the move spread **** buttont for button theres no point in playing. Thats why I never really liked it. It forces you to learn all the moves button for button. I dont mind learing some moves,but dam if your not precised with VF it wont come out. I like fighters thats easy to jump in,but you can still become a monster in it if you wish. Which VF doesint fall under that.

insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 insomnia37

"It is extremely difficult to fully master all 13 characters, all of them with speed, weight, power, defense and reversal techniques that completely vary, add the 100 per character moves, and it is truly difficult to simply take all of the characters at once." - LINK

"The Virtua Fighter series has been known as one of the most technical and advanced fighting games ever, only rivaled by the likes of the Soul Calibur and Tekken series. These days, VF seems to be the only 3D fighting game left that is actually going for "realism."" - LINK

"You know those 3D fighting games that are so popular nowadays? Well all of them -- Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive -- owe their inspiration to SEGA's Virtua Fighter. VF wasn't only the first 3D fighter, it was, and remains, one of the most technical fighters you'll ever play. Fireballs and fantastic creatures are eschewed in favor of mostly realistic fighting moves." - LINK

""SEGA delivers the most technical fighting game experience on Xbox 360 with this installment of the award-winning Virtua Fighter series,"" - LINK

"Otherwise, those who don't have as much experience with the coin-op will discover that Virtua Fighter 2 is hardly a mindless action game but rather a highly technical and totally fast-paced battle of wits. If you're a fighting game fan or if you're wondering what the fuss is all about, don't pass it up." - LINK

Try mastering Akira, then tell me this is not the most complex, technical fighting game out there...

Scoob64

hmmmmm more reviews on VF that make me want to try it out. But sad to say I still got my hands full with Tekken 6 & FN4. If I pick this game up any recommendations on which fighter I should start out with?

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Scoob64

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

insomnia37

hmmmmm more reviews on VF that make me want to try it out. But sad to say I still got my hands full with Tekken 6 & FN4. If I pick this game up any recommendations on which fighter I should start out with?

start out in training mode first of all... and the most accessible ones IMO to start off with are definitely Jackie and Sarah- but Kage and Pai can be accessible... I'm probably not the best to ask though b/c I started playing Virtua Fighter on the Saturn so at this point all the base chars are fairly accessible... I just remember Akira being the hardest to become familiar with...

sonic_xa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sonic_xa

tekken 6 it has motion blur on the movements. Soul Calibur has nice graphics too.

SLIisaownsystem

:roll: he didnt mean technically good graphics the TC is talking about technical gameplay ...i hope most of the people here arent voting for tekken because of technically good graphics ....

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hot114

[QUOTE="SLIisaownsystem"]

sonic_xa

:roll: he didnt mean technically good graphics the TC is talking about technical gameplay ...i hope most of the people here arent voting for tekken because of technically good graphics ....

nah tekken is just the most popular among them. People vote while never having experienced what the competition has to offer. hence why gamespot polls are always full of fail. Eveything gets reduced to a popularity contest

sonic_xa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sonic_xa

makes sense...you might as well put dragon ball in there am sure that ll get some votes as well :P

Avatar image for SLIisaownsystem
SLIisaownsystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SLIisaownsystem
Member since 2009 • 964 Posts

[QUOTE="SLIisaownsystem"]

sonic_xa

its all about the graphics or do you prefer DoA4 where Kasumis hair go into her body.

sonic_xa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sonic_xa

yea but the topic is about how technical the gameplay is not graphics..number of things u can do,game mechanics etc...even if kasumis hair went though her body if the gameplay was better it would be called the better fighter

TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Virtua Fighter with Tekken in close second.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
It's tekken for me, the others don't stand a chance at all imo.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="raskullibur"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] A nod to the Pumpkins on SW? Thats a first. And that picture was taken in 1995 when Billy was losing his hair, during the Mellon Collie era. He has his arm's shaped like an O to represent Zero, which no one knew at the time. ;)

ImOldGreg

Big fan of them myself, From Rhinoceros to Try try try to Billy's solo work and Zwan. Though I thought I didn't know he actually lost his hair, I thought it was his own choice to get rid of those long lusterous locks of his! :P Where they ever featured in a guitar hero or rock band?

Yea, Billy was getting stressed and pressured so it was making him lose his hair. But thats great too see another fan. Especially from their old stuff from Gish all the way to Zeitgeist. And yea. They were first in Guitar Hero 3 with the song Cherub Rock, then Rock Band had Cherub Rock as well and plus 2 downloadable songs. Siva, and Zero. Then Guitar Hero world tour features the band and you can play as Billy Corgan and has the exclusive song G.L.O.W, you could also download Today and 1979. Rock Band 2 also had Today as one of their songs, and the recent Guitar Hero 5 has Bullet With Butterfly Wings.... :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="insomnia37"]

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

Scoob64

start out in training mode first of all... and the most accessible ones IMO to start off with are definitely Jackie and Sarah- but Kage and Pai can be accessible... I'm probably not the best to ask though b/c I started playing Virtua Fighter on the Saturn so at this point all the base chars are fairly accessible... I just remember Akira being the hardest to become familiar with...

Yea that is the best way to get familiar with the game, and Pai and Kage are both good beginner choices, though being a veteran, I always used Wolf and in VF4 Vanessa. :P

SauhlGood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SauhlGood
Member since 2006 • 587 Posts

VF is dead unforturately, massive move lists per char ...stil...3rd strike,being played at major events such as EVO has got to be the most technical, thanks to its parry system there is not a situation you cannot survive if your skilled enough to anticipate and time the parries

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Street Fighter, namely 3rd Strike. I'd have said Virtua Fighter, but I swear it has been dumbed down over the years.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

There is no defined answer to that its all subjective inreality it depends more on the players of those games then it does the games themselves.
Its insane the amount of practice and frame reading that people will do on games like blazblue, street fighter hell even tekken. Just awesome the stuff in tournaments these people do.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
No doubt about it, Virtua Fighter is the clear winner. Its the most balanced and technical fighter from the lot, you can get far not knowing any characters in the other games but VF demands you learn a fighter or taste dirt.
Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts
Technical hm? No 3D fighter can touch Virtua Fighter when it comes to the technical aspects of the fighting, plus it's the most balanced 3D fighting game. 2D wise? Eh, I'm not sure, because it's a toss up between Guilty Gear and Mark of the wolves for me.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

This gen is easily Blazblue, each character is so different and so unique, mastering 2 or 3 characters requieres so much dedication, hell, mastering one single character can take you months of training, have any doubts? go on and pick Carl Clover.

Of all time, i'll go with Guilty Gear, is just like Blazblue but 10 more complex.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Virtua Fighter without a doubt. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't played VF or has no idea what the **** they are talking about. Honorable mention goes to Arc System Works game like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

This gen is easily Blazblue, each character is so different and so unique, mastering 2 or 3 characters requieres so much dedication, hell, mastering one single character can take you months of training, have any doubts? go on and pick Carl Clover.

Of all time, i'll go with Guilty Gear, is just like Blazblue but 10 more complex.

madsnakehhh

I'd say Arcana Heart 3 is more technical than Blazblue because of arcanas. Hell I'd say KOF13 is more complex than BB.

By the way, this is a old thread people.