When talking about RPGs nobody talks about the wii.... why?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

I am not interested in Fire emblem,but I have come to realise there aren't any high profile JRPGs or WRPGscoming to the wii. Why is that. People in these forum claims the wii has great third party support, but I don't see it in this genre. Spore is a glimmer of hope that third parties will support the wii, but where are the high profile RPGS on the wii. Anybody think Camelot will skip making a Golden Sun game for the DS and put it on wii? Also I know there was a rumor of Skies of Arcadia 2 coming to the wii. If true then I have a RPg to look forward too.

PS. Please do not mention Project O I have no interest in that game. When I say high Profile I mean development on the level of WKS, LO, BD, FFXIII, Mass Effect, and Bioshock.

xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xDonRobx
Member since 2007 • 1586 Posts

Its teh kiddy!

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

wii simply isnt the home for third p[arty support its that simple.

And given the fact that nintendo has never made a huge rpg franchise, you're stuck with Fire emblem and Crystal bearers.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

With the recent weakness in the Wii's Japanese sales, I think Japanese devs are waiting until after the holiday season and SMG to see if the Wii has any legs in Japan before officially committing to the system. The Wii's software attach rate is atrocious in Japan (less than 2, when you take out WiiSports and WiiPlay), whereas it's actually comparable to the 360 here in the US and Europe. As for WRPGs, with BioWare now in EA's hands, a WRPG is all but unavoidable on the Wii. But WRPGs are much less common than JRPGs.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
3rd party games on wii = no
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 too_much_eslim

Its teh kiddy!

xDonRobx
ah come on man. At least give an educate dopinion that there is some hope for that genre on the wii.
SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts
Fire Emblem is the best rpg out there, so the Wii wins by default.
DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Well when the Japanese sensation that is Monster Hunter comes to the Wii I pretty sure they'll be some people talking about it.
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

And given the fact that nintendo has never made a huge rpg franchise, you're stuck with Fire emblem and Crystal bearers.

JPOBS

hmmm Final Fantasy,Chrono Trigger?

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 too_much_eslim

JPOBS
So basically the Wii will still forever be a first party system. this is really sad.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 too_much_eslim
Well when the Japanese sensation that is Monster Hunter comes to the Wii I pretty sure they'll be some people talking about it.DaysAirlines
lol. I love your humor man.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts
Right now the RPG situation isn't looking too good. The Wii has yet to prove itself as a platform for long, story driven games.But atleast the future holds a bit of hope. Fire Emblem with no doubt be great just like the rest of the series; there's the Crystal Chronicle games (both the downloadable one and the retail one); Tales of Symphonia II; a few new obscure looking ones such as King's Story (I think that's the name?) and Opoona. Also with MonolithSoft a subsidaryof Nintendo, maybe we'll see some further RPG support, and also Square's warming up to Nintendo once again is a good sign.
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
[QUOTE="JPOBS"]

Lidve

Crystal bearers is final fantasy...

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
Monster Lab. Or I think that is what it is called.
Just_in

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Just_in
Member since 2006 • 696 Posts

Tales Of Symphonia: Knight Of Ratatosk .. Thats pretty much it. *shrugs*

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
Well, I personaly couldn't care less about the wii (currently). To me it's not considered in the same race as the 360 and PS3, and thats not just because "OMG IT R SELLING TEH MOAR". I honestly don't think the wii deserves to be called "current/next gen". It is NEW gen, and as such, in a category of its own. This isn't bad, perse. It seems to be doing well on its own. And maybe some day I will own one (doubtful), but for now, to say the Wii will ever have anything to rival the likes of Last remnant, or FFXIII/Vs is simply absurd. I think the best the wii will get as far as JRPG's go are older FF ports/spinoffs, or DS ports.

Though, I must admit, the prospect of SMG, and SSBB seems promising.

Oh woops. It just seems I can't talk about the wii without bashing it. I don't know why.
DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
[QUOTE="DaysAirlines"]Well when the Japanese sensation that is Monster Hunter comes to the Wii I pretty sure they'll be some people talking about it.too_much_eslim

This was a rare momment in which I was being absolutely serious. Monster Hunter is HUUGGEEE in Japan.
xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xDonRobx
Member since 2007 • 1586 Posts
[QUOTE="xDonRobx"]

Its teh kiddy!

too_much_eslim

ah come on man. At least give an educate dopinion that there is some hope for that genre on the wii.

I was just saying, thats what most people on here would say.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 too_much_eslim
Right now the RPG situation isn't looking too good. The Wii has yet to prove itself as a platform for long, story driven games.But atleast the future holds a bit of hope. Fire Emblem with no doubt be great just like the rest of the series; there's the Crystal Chronicle games (both the downloadable one and the retail one); Tales of Symphonia II; a few new obscure looking ones such as King's Story (I think that's the name?) and Opoona. Also with MonolithSoft a subsidaryof Nintendo, maybe we'll see some further RPG support, and also Square's warming up to Nintendo once again is a good sign. _BlueDuck_
Sighso theRPG genre is going to be stale on the Wii unless something major is announced soon.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _BlueDuck_

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]Right now the RPG situation isn't looking too good. The Wii has yet to prove itself as a platform for long, story driven games.But atleast the future holds a bit of hope. Fire Emblem with no doubt be great just like the rest of the series; there's the Crystal Chronicle games (both the downloadable one and the retail one); Tales of Symphonia II; a few new obscure looking ones such as King's Story (I think that's the name?) and Opoona. Also with MonolithSoft a subsidaryof Nintendo, maybe we'll see some further RPG support, and also Square's warming up to Nintendo once again is a good sign. too_much_eslim
Sighso theRPG genre is going to be stale on the Wii unless something major is announced soon.

Perhaps. But look at the DS; for the first part of its lifespan it was pretty much void of anything for the RPG fanbase (or pretty muchany fanbase for that matter), but now its slowly turning into an RPG powerhouse.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="DaysAirlines"]Well when the Japanese sensation that is Monster Hunter comes to the Wii I pretty sure they'll be some people talking about it.DaysAirlines

This was a rare momment in which I was being absolutely serious. Monster Hunter is HUUGGEEE in Japan.

True, but it sells under 1.5 million per installment(i believe, not sure). While yes it is good sales wise ,The wii is going to need more than just Monster Hunter.
Meech101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Meech101
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Fire Emblem is the best rpg out there, so the Wii wins by default.SER69

thats ur opinion nota fact...get over urself

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
Eh, I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who bought a Wii could care less about RPG's, me included.
--ProtoMan--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 --ProtoMan--
Member since 2007 • 1376 Posts

I'm pretty excited about the new Crystal Chronicles, but from what I understand, it's more of a real-time adventure than an RPG. I agree, the Wii lacks RPG's.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 too_much_eslim
Eh, I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who bought a Wii could care less about RPG's, me included.sexy_chimp
Why? The wii is supposed to be a gaming console. So it should be diverse to appeal to all types of gamers. To not have high profile games in this genre means the wii is lacking and is not a system one should only own. For people to say the wii has great third party support, and is still lacking in genre certain genres does not go well for that arguement.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sexy_chimp

Are you saying that the 360 and PS3 have every single genre covered with a high profile game? O.o

So far the Wii has the best variety. Basically the only thing its missing is a high profile FPS and RPG.

--ProtoMan--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 --ProtoMan--

[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Eh, I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who bought a Wii could care less about RPG's, me included.too_much_eslim
Why? The wii is supposed to be a gaming console. So it should be diverse to appeal to all types of gamers. To not have high profile games in this genre means the wii is lacking and is not a system one should only own. For people to say the wii has great third party support, and is still lacking in genre certain genres does not go well for that arguement.

I see your point, but you definitely cannot deny that 360 and PS3 are lacking in some genres. Personally, I like 3D platformers and kart racing--each console (including Wii)has basically one major platformer coming out, and the only kart racing game I see is Mario Kart Wii. You can call me kiddy or whatever, but I'm being totally honest. I'm just not into most mature sci-fi and shooter games, and that's why Wii appeals to me the most. I prefer games that are funny, have creative characters, and don't take themselves too seriously.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 too_much_eslim

Are you saying that the 360 and PS3 have every single genre covered with a high profile game? O.o

So far the Wii has the best variety. Basically the only thing its missing is a high profile FPS and RPG.

sexy_chimp
PS3 actually have all genres covered except for RTSs and it does have at least 1 high profile WRPGand the 360 does too. I could survive with the PS3 or 360 alone. I can't say the same for the wii.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
[QUOTE="JPOBS"]

Lidve

lmfao what are you talking about.
--ProtoMan--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 --ProtoMan--
[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

too_much_eslim

PS3 actually have all genres covered except for RTSs and it does have at least 1 high profile WRPGand the 360 does too. I could survive with the PS3 or 360 alone. I can't say the same for the wii.

Well, you have to realize that it's all a matter of taste. I could livewith SMG, SSBB, and Mario Kart for a long time, but Iknow that most American gamers prefer FPS, RTS, RPG, sports, and racing sim games.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sexy_chimp
Well, high profile does not = Best. I'm sure all the lower-profile RPG's on the Wii could be just as good.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 too_much_eslim

[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]Eh, I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who bought a Wii could care less about RPG's, me included.--ProtoMan--

I see your point, but you definitely cannot deny that 360 and PS3 are lacking in some genres. Personally, I like 3D platformers and kart racing--each console (including Wii)has basically one major platformer coming out, and the only kart racing game I see is Mario Kart Wii. You can call me kiddy or whatever, but I'm being totally honest. I'm just not into most mature sci-fi and shooter games, and that's why Wii appeals to me the most. I prefer games that are funny, have creative characters, and don't take themselves too seriously.

The 360 and thePS3 has those type of games too they are just not being hyped up. I wouldn't call you kiddy. I love mario Kart too, but the wii is lacking. Each system has at least one or two major 3D platformer. The 360 really diversed itself with Viva Pinata and soon to be Banjo. It really a fun game and Viva Pinata: Party Animals is a lot of fun too. It is a combination of a kart/puzzle/minigame type of game. PS3 has always make some wierd game. You have LBP coming soon and many more.
Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts
I'm not sure if it's considered "high profile", but what about Oboro Muramasa Youtouden -- made by Vanillaware, and it's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Odin Sphere.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 _BlueDuck_
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

--ProtoMan--

Well, you have to realize that it's all a matter of taste. I could livewith SMG, SSBB, and Mario Kart for a long time, but Iknow that most American gamers prefer FPS, RTS, RPG, sports, and racing sim games.

Quite. It is all about taste. I would say (and many people would agree) That the Wii does have a high profile RPG (or will in a few days atleast) with Fire Emblem. I realise you are not interested in the game (unfortunate!), but that doesn't change the fact it is still there. I could easily say I am not interested in Oblivion, making the PS3 lacking in the RPG department as well.

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

--ProtoMan--

Those three games plus Zelda is the only reason I am getting a wii. I just want to be able to buy more than four games for the system.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sexy_chimp
Just because you don't like the games doesn't mean they're not there.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 too_much_eslim
Well, high profile does not = Best. I'm sure all the lower-profile RPG's on the Wii could be just as good.sexy_chimp
True, but I should be able to find at least one RPG i would like to play. On the other consoles you should be able to find one game in every genre you want to play. Somebody said they don't care for Oblivion than I guess there goes the PS3, but the 360 is the only system that has a major high profile game in every genre whether it is exclusive or not. The PS3 is the next best thing and the wii is far behind.
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
I wonder if anyone here remembers Oboro Muramasa Youtouden, which is by the creators of Odin Sphere if memory serves me well.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

I don't like SRPGs like Fire Emblem but i'm pretty excited for Crystal Bearers and Tales of Symphonia 2. I agree that wii lacks great RPGs. Maybe next year when Nintendo has already released their high profile 1st party titles, there will be announcements of new games for the wii from third party devs. There might be RPGs. There are games that are already in the making but not yet announced so we should wait and see what will happen for the wii. I'm an SP RPG lover and the PC provides my RPG gaming needs so I can wait for the wii to get great RPGs.

Nintendo acquired Monolith Soft and they are ex-Square employees. I hope they will make a great RPG for the wii after Disaster: Day of Crisis.

blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

You could also try investing in Super Paper Mario.

It's not a traditional RPG, in fact it is more of a platformer with RPG elements.. but it is quite unique, it has a great story, great characters, and amazing humour.

As for traditional or western style RPG's, there isn't really anything right now.. but crystal chronicles will be coming(isn't the wii getting both an original version and a downloadable CC game?). There's a few others too, but nothing too talked about.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
well cause we dont have any lol it doesnt bother me though the have never been my thing anyways
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 too_much_eslim
Just because you don't like the games doesn't mean they're not there.sexy_chimp
I said high profile games though. This means games with big budgets. It sin't there on the wii. I know there are some RPGs on the wii, but they are not something that gets me excited. Wii games seem to lack the high production values. For me Zelda is the closest thing to that, but I feel it fell short of that in TP.
Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts
It seems like none of the systems this gen have RPGS. 360 has a few, but they are weak and so are the PS3s. This gen is lagging behind all together in the RPG genre. Its not just the Wii.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 too_much_eslim
It seems like none of the systems this gen have RPGS. 360 has a few, but they are weak and so are the PS3s. This gen is lagging behind all together in the RPG genre. Its not just the Wii.Ramadear
Um how so? The 360 has Mass Effect, Oblivion, Elveon, Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Last remnant, Fable 2, and Cry On. The PS3 has oblivion, Last Remnant, WKS, FFXIII, FFXIIIversus, Star Ocean 4(rumor still), and Elveon. These are high profile RPGs coming to these systems. There are also some lesser profile RPGs on these systems too. The wii doesn't have any.
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts

It seems like none of the systems this gen have RPGS. 360 has a few, but they are weak and so are the PS3s. This gen is lagging behind all together in the RPG genre. Its not just the Wii.Ramadear

360 is releasing more rpg's then most systems do in the first few years.

I recall waiting a while for the ps2's rpg's to start rolling in.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Final Fantasy CC, Dragon Quest Swords, Tales of Symphonia 2, Oopona, King Story, Monster Hunter, Skies of Arcadia 2. Those are the ones coming or rumored to be coming so far.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts

I wonder if anyone here remembers Oboro Muramasa Youtouden, which is by the creators of Odin Sphere if memory serves me well.Technoweirdo

Thanks, I can't believe I forgot Oboro Muramasa Youtouden in my list.

tomhalsall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tomhalsall
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
because the wii sucks end of
Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts

[QUOTE="Ramadear"]It seems like none of the systems this gen have RPGS. 360 has a few, but they are weak and so are the PS3s. This gen is lagging behind all together in the RPG genre. Its not just the Wii.too_much_eslim
Um how so? The 360 has Mass Effect, Oblivion, Elveon, Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Last remnant, Fable 2, and Cry On. The PS3 has oblivion, Last Remnant, WKS, FFXIII, FFXIIIversus, Star Ocean 4(rumor still), and Elveon. These are high profile RPGs coming to these systems. There are also some lesser profile RPGs on these systems too. The wii doesn't have any.

Bioshock isn't a rpg, its a shooter with a few rpg elements tacted on. Anyhow, Zhengi seemed to answer the question. Except he forgot Fire Emblem.

marth6789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 marth6789
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Right now the RPG situation isn't looking too good. The Wii has yet to prove itself as a platform for long, story driven games.But atleast the future holds a bit of hope. Fire Emblem with no doubt be great just like the rest of the series; there's the Crystal Chronicle games (both the downloadable one and the retail one); Tales of Symphonia II; a few new obscure looking ones such as King's Story (I think that's the name?) and Opoona. Also with MonolithSoft a subsidaryof Nintendo, maybe we'll see some further RPG support, and also Square's warming up to Nintendo once again is a good sign. _BlueDuck_

the wii hasnt proven itself for long story driven games....

mp3= 15hrs

zack and wiki= 15 hrs

superpapermario= 20hrs

zelda= 40hrs

denial much?