Whats wrong with the industry?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Vectah_Sigma
Member since 2007 • 1104 Posts

What's wrong with the industry today? Not too long ago Fighters, RPG's, plat formers, sports, Racing, Hack-in-slash, adventure games (a lot of people were playing Tomb Raider type games) and even puzzle games was "Wuz Poppin". Now all you see is FPS's (thanks on-line multi-player). Companies know that FPS's are money makers and companies don't wanna take a chance on anything new, by new I mean games other then FPS because they're shook of the game being labeled a "flop". The industry is stuck in a "FPS box" right now and companies need to start thinking outside the box.

How does everyone else feel about this, do you feel that the industry is stuck in a box?

zorbmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 zorbmeister
Member since 2004 • 99 Posts

People like you who look at the past through rose-tinted glasses are what's wrong with the industry!

Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
I dont think it's a problem. Sure, last year was full of shooters, but this year is pretty much fighter based. it's always been this way. i mean look how many platformers emerged in the 16bit era.
Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vectah_Sigma

People like you who look at the past through rose-tinted glasses are what's wrong with the industry!

zorbmeister

And?

zorbmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zorbmeister
Member since 2004 • 99 Posts
That's enough for now old man
Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vectah_Sigma

I dont think it's a problem. Sure, last year was full of shooters, but this year is pretty much fighter based. it's always been this way. i mean look how many platformers emerged in the 16bit era.Shazenab

I hope fighter come back.

Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vectah_Sigma

That's enough for now old manzorbmeister

Who said anything about being old?

ng1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ng1234
Member since 2007 • 596 Posts
This is why I bought a Wii. And enjoying it more then ever.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts

[QUOTE="Shazenab"]I dont think it's a problem. Sure, last year was full of shooters, but this year is pretty much fighter based. it's always been this way. i mean look how many platformers emerged in the 16bit era.Vectah_Sigma

They already are. Tekken 6, SCIV, King of Fighters, street Fighter IV and SSBB are all out this year.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Production costs got to high, risks went down.
eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 eklineage
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

What's wrong with the industry? Gaming has become too much graphics based. Shooters... yes there are alot of them. RPGS are in the making. Very few games are unique and fresh. Not to mention, it's taking forever for the three systems to pump out alot of games. Most noticably the ps3.

My japanese friend recently told me to try to get the ps3 games in Japan. It's way better apparently.

Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vectah_Sigma
[QUOTE="Vectah_Sigma"]

[QUOTE="Shazenab"]I dont think it's a problem. Sure, last year was full of shooters, but this year is pretty much fighter based. it's always been this way. i mean look how many platformers emerged in the 16bit era.Shazenab

They already are. Tekken 6, SCIV, King of Fighters, street Fighter IV and SSBB are all out this year.

I was waiting for Tekken and Soul Caliber, Street Fighter is only gonna be in the arcade.......but I see your point.

Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vectah_Sigma

My japanese friend recently told me to try to get the ps3 games in Japan. It's way better apparently.

eklineage

I got my PS2 modded for Japanesse games and got a Japan Dreamcast, and the Japan white PS (Fat) personal I think the games are better. But there are not for everyone.

pieatorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 pieatorium
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts

I'm sorry but i can't really see what you see, yes shooters are the current dominant genre but there are still plenty of games including high profile ones in other genres just like the way it was back in your glory days when every second game release was a platformer.

The Witcher

Lost Odysey

Oblivion

Mass Effect

Super Mario Galaxy

GT5p

Forza 2

PGR4

Zelda

SSBB

SOASE

DoW

Mario Kart Wii

just a handful to spring to mind of currently released non shooters

a few upcoming releases

New Banjo game

Dragon Age

DoW2

Starcraft 2

Age of Conan

Warhammer Online

Spore

FFXIII + VSXIII

White Knight Cronicles(or is it story?)

Fable 2

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
What's so ironic about it is these kids playing all these shooters think they are hardcore.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
buy a DS
Avatar image for JonJonJohnnyJon
JonJonJohnnyJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JonJonJohnnyJon
Member since 2005 • 216 Posts

Now all you see is FPS's (thanks on-line multi-player).

Vectah_Sigma

That is part of the problem. People are craving online modes in games, and shooters are one of the easier genres to incorporate the online multiplayer (sports including racing being another), which is why shooters are so prevelent.

eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 eklineage
yep i agree. Too many kids who probably aren't even teens trying to think they are hardcore. Immature not to mention pathetic if they are teens acting like that.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
i do wish that there were more fighters out.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

People think if it's not AAA and doesn't sell millions it must suck. The videogame business is turning into the movie business. If it's not a blockbuster like Transformers then your movie sucks.

It's sad....

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

The only reason there is so many poor games is because the vast majority of publishers are ones with low budgets that try to jump on the bandwagon, or ones like EA that just look for the fads. The big developers like Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Blizzard and LucasArts are still showing plenty of innovation.

Avatar image for TimeToPartyHard
TimeToPartyHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TimeToPartyHard
Member since 2004 • 1963 Posts
Yes, it's a huge problem. I grew up gaming and will probably die gaming. If not for the Wii though I doubt I'd be doing much gaming at all since the 360 and PS3 have similar libraries and don't offer enough quality titles in multiple genres, let alone the ones I'm greatly interested in.
Avatar image for JonJonJohnnyJon
JonJonJohnnyJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JonJonJohnnyJon
Member since 2005 • 216 Posts

People think if it's not AAA and doesn't sell millions it must suck. The videogame business is turning into the movie business. If it's not a blockbuster like Transformers then your movie sucks.

It's sad....

EmperorSupreme

Truth.

I am probably an average gamer (in skill and amount of games I play), so I still like to play games that are not labeled as AAA. For example: Army of Two was a lot of fun for me (beat it a few times), but most people say its too short and/or the online sucks too much, but I still love it.

sps9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sps9
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts

buy a Wii and you will feel much much better about the industry

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

yeah, too many generic FPSs

even good FPS devs like Free Radical are coming up with stuff like Haze!

i don't mind when we get variety in the genre .. like with Bioshock last year

standarddamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#27 standarddamage
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts

sps9

No offence intended to any Wii owners, especially as I own one, but I fail to see how the Wii is supposed to make us feel better about the industry. Not only has there been tons of shovelware, but the gamers sucking these consoles up have been primary casuals. And outside of the controls, there was no other true innovation put into that console.

eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 eklineage
[QUOTE="sps9"]

standarddamage

No offence intended to any Wii owners, especially as I own one, but I fail to see how the Wii is supposed to make us feel better about the industry. Not only has there been tons of shovelware, but the gamers sucking these consoles up have been primary casuals. And outside of the controls, there was no other true innovation put into that console.

what defines a hardcore gamer then? I would really like your input.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bigboi500
[QUOTE="sps9"]

standarddamage

Nintendo's non-gamer casuals are no more so than Sony's Blu ray casuals. :|
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Great_Ragnarok
Member since 2007 • 3069 Posts

What's so ironic about it is these kids playing all these shooters think they are hardcore.Bigboi500

er what now????

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts

What's wrong with the industry? Gaming has become too much graphics based. Shooters... yes there are alot of them. RPGS are in the making. Very few games are unique and fresh. Not to mention, it's taking forever for the three systems to pump out alot of games. Most noticably the ps3.

eklineage

These arguments are getting a little old.

Gaming is still a very young medium but ten years ago it will still barely out of the gate. That is like saying there are not very many fresh and unique books written. Another mystery novel? Why can't someone create a new genre.

How many games are made every year? The days of totally revolutionary games are over. It is all going to be small steps. They made a new controller for the Wii but they have not created any new genre's to go with it. But that does not make it any less unique.

eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 eklineage
[QUOTE="eklineage"]

Coyo7e

Gaming is still a very young medium but ten years ago it will still barely out of the gate. That is like saying there are not very many fresh and unique books written. Another mystery novel? Why can't someone create a new genre.

How many games are made every year? The days of totally revolutionary games are over. It is all going to be small steps. They made a new controller for the Wii but they have not created any new genre's to go with it. But that does not make it any less unique.

well I'm not arguing I'm just pointing out stuff. I'm right though still. Btw there will ALWAYS be ways to totally revolutionize games. I can guarantee you that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]What's so ironic about it is these kids playing all these shooters think they are hardcore.Great_Ragnarok

er what now????

Shooters are not hardcore.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

What's wrong with the industry today? Not too long ago Fighters, RPG's, plat formers, sports, Racing, Hack-in-slash, adventure games (a lot of people were playing Tomb Raider type games) and even puzzle games was "Wuz Poppin". Now all you see is FPS's (thanks on-line multi-player). Companies know that FPS's are money makers and companies don't wanna take a chance on anything new, by new I mean games other then FPS because they're shook of the game being labeled a "flop". The industry is stuck in a "FPS box" right now and companies need to start thinking outside the box.

How does everyone else feel about this, do you feel that the industry is stuck in a box?

Vectah_Sigma

I don't think the market is stearing more towards FPSs, I just think us console gamers now finally have the opportunity to get FPS because our systems are closer to PCs and include online. There are still hack and slash, puzzle games, etc.. we just notice more FPS because our systems are not compatible with them.

I am not a huge FPS fan but I welcome them, I still have my uncharted, HS, Rachet and Clank, MGS 4, GOW 3, etc..

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Coyo7e
[QUOTE="Coyo7e"][QUOTE="eklineage"]

What's wrong with the industry? Gaming has become too much graphics based. Shooters... yes there are alot of them. RPGS are in the making. Very few games are unique and fresh.Not to mention, it's taking forever for the three systems to pump out alot of games. Most noticably the ps3.

eklineage

well I'm not arguing I'm just pointing out stuff. I'm right though still. Btw there will ALWAYS be ways to totally revolutionize games. I can guarantee you that.

None of it will happen over night. That is absurd.

Besides, a game does not need to turn the industry on its head to be entertaining and fun. Get over it.

Are you developing games? Or sitting on the sidelines saying you can do it better? If you have that next great idea that will change everything then get out there and do it.

Crying about the kind of games that are being made, and acting like you are to special and smart to enjoy a shooter, or getting upset that the industry makes a lot of money of them just because you think they should not, is less original then any game out there.

I dare you to just go invent new game-play. The industry is slowly evolving by building of its past. Even a major break through or change owes a debt of gratitude to the past. The Wii-mote did not fall out of a vacuum. The Wii-mote is a lot more clever then it is inventive.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Shazenab"]I dont think it's a problem. Sure, last year was full of shooters, but this year is pretty much fighter based. it's always been this way. i mean look how many platformers emerged in the 16bit era.Vectah_Sigma

There are so many Fighters that will release this year and Next Year and a few years ago Fighters where Almost extinct but I hope they have a lot more Platformers since that is my favorite Genre.
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Coyo7e
[QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]What's so ironic about it is these kids playing all these shooters think they are hardcore.Bigboi500

er what now????

Thanks for lettings us all know what is cool and what is not.

MP shooters have a very rabid and hardcore base, get over it. And it seems, if as you say the market is saturated with them, there are a lot more of them then there are of you. You should feel good because you are so cool and special that you are to good for them.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bigboi500
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]What's so ironic about it is these kids playing all these shooters think they are hardcore.Coyo7e

er what now????

MP shooters have a very rabid and hardcore base, get over it. And it seems, if as you say the market is saturated with them, there are a lot more of them then there are of you. You should feel good because you are so cool and special that you are to good for them.

I'm just saying that playing shooters on live all day don't make you hardcore. Any casual or non gamer can pick up a shooter and jump, hide, shoot, rinse, repeat.
Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts

FPS's are the best genre to showcase today's systems technology, "realistic" graphics, online, and the like. not to mention that's what the masses want...

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Coyo7e
[QUOTE="Coyo7e"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]What's so ironic about it is these kids playing all these shooters think they are hardcore.Bigboi500

er what now????

I'm just saying that playing shooters on live all day don't make you hardcore. Any casual or non gamer can pick up a shooter and jump, hide, shoot, rinse, repeat.

People who approach shooters casually dont really enjoy getting there ass handed to them by people who, as you say, play them all day.

Anyone who plays any type of game that much is pretty hardcore. FPS is the major genre in the e-sport arena (witch I think is a little absurd, e-"sports" in general I mean) for obvious reasons.

You can reduce any genre like that. Mario SMG, jump, spin, rinse, repeat. As long as you ignore a lot of what makes each game unique and fun. You really need to take your own tastes in gaming less seriously, and stop bashing people for theirs.

Honestly, you come off like a gamer who gets his/her ass kicked online and decides its because the genre sucks, not you.

I hope one day you realize how obnoxious, arrogant, and just flat out rude, your statements are.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Coyo7e

FPS's are the best genre to showcase today's systems technology, "realistic" graphics, online, and the like. not to mention that's what the masses want...

Oscar-Wilde

I will offer you a shield. Because to be a "cool" gamer you need to hate the genre and despise the industry for not pulling a rabbit out of its hat with every release.

Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vectah_Sigma
[QUOTE="Vectah_Sigma"]

JonJonJohnnyJon

That is part of the problem. People are craving online modes in games, and shooters are one of the easier genres to incorporate the online multiplayer (sports including racing being another), which is why shooters are so prevelent.

I hate it when a game is centered around its on-line mode and make the campaign mode like a warm up just to get on-line, it feels like a waste of money......to me anyway

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bigboi500
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Coyo7e"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"]

er what now????

Coyo7e

People who approach shooters casually dont really enjoy getting there ass handed to them by people who, as you say, play them all day.

Anyone who plays any type of game that much is pretty hardcore. FPS is the major genre in the e-sport arena (witch I think is a little absurd, e-"sports" in general I mean) for obvious reasons.

You can reduce any genre like that. Mario SMG, jump, spin, rinse, repeat. As long as you ignore a lot of what makes each game unique and fun. You really need to take your own tastes in gaming less seriously, and stop bashing people for theirs.

Honestly, you come off like a gamer who gets his/her ass kicked online and decides its because the genre sucks, not you.

I hope one day you realize how obnoxious, arrogant, and just flat out rude, your statements are.

Well you're wrong pal, I've been playing games for decades. I have just as much right to state my opinion as you do, so deal with it. You're the flamer here.
Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts
[QUOTE="JonJonJohnnyJon"][QUOTE="Vectah_Sigma"]

Vectah_Sigma

I hate it when a game is centered around its on-line mode and make the campaign mode like a warm up just to get on-line, it feels like a waste of money......to me anyway

I hate it more when they tout their games as multiplayer awesomeness. yet they forgo split-screen entirely or make it be crappy as hell.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Coyo7e
[QUOTE="Coyo7e"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Coyo7e"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Great_Ragnarok"]

er what now????

Bigboi500

Well you're wrong pal, I've been playing games for decades. I have just as much right to state my opinion as you do, so deal with it. You're the flamer here.

Then come at us with something other then your opinion is the high and mighty one. I have been gaming since the 2600. Back when pen and paper gaming was still what being a gamer meant.

I dont like a lot of where the industry has gone either. But I am not going to say the entire market (witch is defined by what people like, and thus purchase) is wrong because I dont agree.

Crying about what is popular comes of like the emo kids. Standing on the sidelins filled with angst and anger and defining themselves by what they dont like rather then what they do.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Coyo7e
[QUOTE="Vectah_Sigma"][QUOTE="JonJonJohnnyJon"][QUOTE="Vectah_Sigma"]

Oscar-Wilde

I hate it more when they tout their games as multiplayer awesomeness. yet they forgo split-screen entirely or make it be crappy as hell.

I still think online MP is king, but latelty I have soured on it. Not because of the games themselves, but the online community's. If that is how people act it lowers my faith in humanity.

eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 eklineage
[QUOTE="eklineage"][QUOTE="Coyo7e"][QUOTE="eklineage"]

What's wrong with the industry? Gaming has become too much graphics based. Shooters... yes there are alot of them. RPGS are in the making. Very few games are unique and fresh.Not to mention, it's taking forever for the three systems to pump out alot of games. Most noticably the ps3.

Coyo7e

None of it will happen over night. That is absurd.

Besides, a game does not need to turn the industry on its head to be entertaining and fun. Get over it.

Are you developing games? Or sitting on the sidelines saying you can do it better? If you have that next great idea that will change everything then get out there and do it.

Crying about the kind of games that are being made, and acting like you are to special and smart to enjoy a shooter, or getting upset that the industry makes a lot of money of them just because you think they should not, is less original then any game out there.

I dare you to just go invent new game-play. The industry is slowly evolving by building of its past. Even a major break through or change owes a debt of gratitude to the past. The Wii-mote did not fall out of a vacuum. The Wii-mote is a lot more clever then it is inventive.

whoa whoa whoa... calm down. Crying? dude when was i crying .Absurd? well from your statement you clearly implied that it will NEVER happen. I never implied I could do better. I just pointed out there was a possibility. I never said games have to be unique and fresh to be great. I never criticized the wiimote. Too special to play fps? You think I'm god? I'm just an individual like you. Stop putting words in my mouth and stop being emotional about it. Even my very first post had a calm and collected tone to it. That's nowhere near crying. If you can't handle someone not liking shooters, then that's good for you. Complain to someone else about it. Want to put more stujff in my mouth? Go try it...seems you're good at that. Now when you've calmed down and stopped acting like a creature with a bad temper. Come talk to me.

No way did I come here to be insulted for stating an opinion of how I look at things. I don't consider myself to be above the rest. I treat others as equals. You just twist and turn my statements into your own image and just use that as your argument. In none of my posts did I outburst with childish comments. I never implied any of t he things you said. Good day.

eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 eklineage
[QUOTE="Coyo7e"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Coyo7e"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"][QUOTE="Coyo7e"]

Bigboi500

Then come at us with something other then your opinion is the high and mighty one. I have been gaming since the 2600. Back when pen and paper gaming was still what being a gamer meant.

I dont like a lot of where the industry has gone either. But I am not going to say the entire market (witch is defined by what people like, and thus purchase) is wrong because I dont agree.

Crying about what is popular comes of like the emo kids. Standing on the sidelins filled with angst and anger and defining themselves by what they dont like rather then what they do.

I don't know you, or care what you think, so get off my nuts. My opinion is just that, if you don't like it tough. This forum is filled with opinions that I don't like, but I don't flame or personally attack people for disagreeing with them so grow up and mind your own business.

ye the guy flames if he doesn't like opinions. He puts statements into people's mouths even though we didn't imply anything from it. The guy is pretty sensitive if you ask me.