What's the main reason why to buy a console?

• 194 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Exclusives, of course. You buy a PS3 for Gran Turismo and Uncharted, a 360 for Halo and Gears of War and a Wii for Zelda and Mario. 3rd party games matter too but not all that much. If you look at video game sales, the most heavy-hitter exclusives shipped the most consoles. People were buying Atari because of Pac-Man. Nintendo because of Mario. Sega because of Sonic. PlayStation because of Gran Turismo and GTA. Xbox because of Halo and Call of Duty. The real winner will be the company which will secure exclusive deals with heavy-hitter franchises (like Call of Duty and GTA are).

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Because many 3rd party titles don't come to PC.
Avatar image for ratmanaustin123
ratmanaustin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ratmanaustin123
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Exclusives, of course. You buy a PS3 for Gran Turismo and Uncharted, a 360 for Halo and Gears of War and a Wii for Zelda and Mario. 3rd party games matter too but not all that much. If you look at video game sales, the most heavy-hitter exclusives shipped the most consoles. People were buying Atari because of Pac-Man. Nintendo because of Mario. Sega because of Sonic. PlayStation because of Gran Turismo and GTA. Xbox because of Halo and Call of Duty. The real winner will be the company which will secure exclusive deals with heavy-hitter franchises (like Call of Duty and GTA are).

nameless12345
I have to agree, butt also some 3rd party games may be better on some consoles than others
ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ehussein1379
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts
PS3 is an awesome Netflix player. Consoles games are kinda shoddy IMO, but gaming is better than not gaming so meh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#5 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Because many 3rd party titles don't come to PC. NerubianWeaver

Exactly!

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
The man speaks truth.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

to play final fantasy, zelda, pokemon and sonic games

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Games would be my guess.
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
O you know, the obvious.. GAMES.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Playing with friends, console exclusives, in that order.

Monkey_N1nga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Monkey_N1nga
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts
Entertainment maybe... i dont know just shootin spitballs here
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

O you know, the obvious.. GAMES.Dr_Snood

Nonsense. They do it for teh ladies. 8)

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

To watch Blu-Ray movies obviously.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

I didn't buy it specifically for them, but consoles dominate the market for fighting games.

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Convinence. More accurately, the ability to play games that they want to play, which, more often than not, aren't exclusives, as easily and cheaply as they can. Generally, it tends to boil down to 'free online vs Halo and Gears' rather than 'Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid vs Halo and Gears'.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

I buught a PS3 for exclusives it had and not every game comes out for the PC. I still enjoy playing some games on my PC.

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

Exclusives and lower intial cost.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Ze games!
Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

Game accessibility. Sometimes its nice to just pick up a controller and go.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts
Target practice.
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Because PCs can't play a vast number of great franchises like Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, God of War, Infamous, Killzone, Resistance, Vanquish, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Red Dead Redemption...

It's beyond me how anyone can play games exclusively on a PC. Talk about missing out on the cream of the crop.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
Certain games that aren't on PC. Ease of use.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Mostly because I enjoy split-screen and local co-op. Some of the best fun I've ever had.

loveless9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loveless9
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

If it supports Youtube.

Kimimaro_DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kimimaro_DS
Member since 2011 • 129 Posts
Games games games.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#27 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Exclusives, the third party games that don't see the PC.

Also the thought that you good/great (not very best) graphic and performance out of games, and you put it in and 9 out of 10 it WORKS with little to no problems.

yeah those are pretty good reaons if you ask me.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

Far less of a pain games will be made for it for 5 years plus and the second hand market

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
I don't get the point of this thread? You answered your own question. Unless you're saying sales don't matter at all, and in fact, third place is the new 1st
Game_On_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Game_On_
Member since 2011 • 60 Posts

So that I have something to fill the middle shelf in my entertainment center. Oh, and the handful of exclusives that are worth playing.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Because PCs can't play a vast number of great franchises like Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, God of War, Infamous, Killzone, Resistance, Vanquish, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Red Dead Redemption...

It's beyond me how anyone can play games exclusively on a PC. Talk about missing out on the cream of the crop.

arkephonic

The same like consoles can't play a vast number of great franchises like Total War,Starcraft , Crysis, World in Conflict stalker, wow, Civilization, Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire, Warhammer 40,000, Amnesia, fsx, Witcher, Cryostasis, ARMA II...

It's beyond me how anyone can play games exclusively on a consoles. They missing of the best games and on top of that thay get the worst version of multiplats...

not to mention that console games play games with 1280x720(or lower), 25-30fps, average graphics, badgame play(because of the 25-30fps, controller, small fov, no dedicated servers, etc)

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

MK-Professor

The same like consoles can't play a vast number of great franchises like Total War,Starcraft , Crysis, World in Conflict stalker, wow, Civilization, Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire, Warhammer 40,000, Amnesia, fsx, Witcher, Cryostasis, ARMA II...

It's beyond me how anyone can play games exclusively on a consoles. They missing of the best games and on top of that thay get the worst version of multiplats...

not to mention that console games play games with 1280x720(or lower), 25-30fps, average graphics, badgame play(because of the 25-30fps, controller, small fov, no dedicated servers, etc)

Anyone that limits their gaming choices is doing it wrong. Doesn't matter where or or not they are limiting themselves to a particular console or the PC - as a gamer one should be trying to experience as many games and worlds as possible.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

Games.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Certain games that aren't on PC. Ease of use.Merex760

Those are my two top reasons, as well. PC doesn't get some games (I'm looking at you Demon Souls). Also, gaming on consoles is just simpler. I prefer PC gaming, but I understand the appeal of console gaming.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
Because many 3rd party titles don't come to PC. NerubianWeaver
Pretty much this if the pc got all the multiplatforms 360/ps3 a console wouldn't be needed imo as all they have then is exclusives.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#37 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Well not every game that comes out that I'm interested in is available on PC.

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

arkephonic

Because we're tired of playing the same games over and over again on consoles in the form of sequels and paying $60 for them. I wouldnt call half of those games "cream of the crop". We've got Starcraft 2, Portal 2 (the good version), Duke Nukem Forever (the good version), Left 4 Dead 2 (with plenty of mods), Metro 2033 (good version), the original Crysis and Crysis Warhead, and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Those are just a few of the ones that i'm currently playing not to mention the plethora of other excellent games.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

demonic_85

Because we're tired of playing the same games over and over again on consoles in the form of sequels and paying $60 for them. I wouldnt call half of those games "cream of the crop". We've got Starcraft 2, Portal 2 (the good version), Duke Nukem Forever (the good version), Left 4 Dead 2 (with plenty of mods), Metro 2033 (good version), the original Crysis and Crysis Warhead, and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Those are just a few of the ones that i'm currently playing not to mention the plethora of other excellent games.

Can I attempt to end this argument now and say that both consoles and PC have excellent games?

Cow_tipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cow_tipping
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

nameless12345

if 3rd part games dont matter then xbox360 would only release 1 to 3 games a year

ShyGuy0504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShyGuy0504
Member since 2009 • 1138 Posts

I might be wrong but I think the main reason someone would buy a console is because they want to play games.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 turtlethetaffer

I might be wrong but I think the main reason someone would buy a console is because they want to play games.

ShyGuy0504

Best answer I've heard in a while.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

All consoles Vs the PC again!

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I think its the combination of the upfront cost, social acceptability over pc gaming, and friends having them. I mean you can say its games, but in the end the console you choose is generally based off what your friends have, if you only buy one that is.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

Kickinurass

Anyone that limits their gaming choices is doing it wrong. Doesn't matter where or or not they are limiting themselves to a particular console or the PC - as a gamer one should be trying to experience as many games and worlds as possible.

You're limited no matter what decision you make. There's no way I can personally play every game the Wii has to offer, or the PS3, or the 360. Not even if I owned just a single platform could I play every game it offers me. The money I don't spend on a 360/PS3/Wii is money I can use to discover new games on the PC, and I don't need another electronic device to do so. I can live with not playing a game like Mortal Kombat, or LA Noire, just like I can live without playing the other hundreds of games I could never afford, or have time to play, on the consoles. In the end I'll just use that time, and money to find other entertainment readily available on my PC. Yes I do play exclusively on my PC, and I have no plans at all to purchase another console ever again. Feel sorry for me all you want that I won't play the next big console game, but I have never been more content with gaming in my entire life than I am right now, and that's all that matters to me.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I've been wondering that for the past few years, but I've always got at least one Nintendo or Sony console per gen, so I decided why break the habit. Also, Vaklyria Chronicles and Mega Man 9 aren't on the PC, so I didn't have much choice.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Because a small minority of the games I own are available on PC.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

All consoles Vs the PC again!

pelvist

That's how hermits here generally frame things.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

nameless12345
Nope. There was a poll taken on this and exclusives were at the bottom of the list for purchasing a console.