Whats so good about the Grand Theft Auto series anyways?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts

They come out every 2-5 years, and its the same thing. You are some guy in the criminal underworld, and you rise to the top. Why do they keep copying and pasting Scarface? Going around stealing cars and shooting random people goes stale after a while because, its meaningless. I really dont get the appeal.

Why are you all hyped up for GTV 5? Its going to be exactly what you expect.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

It didn't get owned by a group of 20 fodder:twisted:

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

Because after you recieve a bull sh!t ticket from a cop IRL, you probably want to do some damage to them in a video game.

That by itself is a reason to buy GTA.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

I'm glad you don't get the games,otherwise I would have to stop playing them.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Don't like them neither.
Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts
I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

They come out every 2-5 years, and its the same thing. You are some guy in the criminal underworld, and you rise to the top. Why do they keep copying and pasting Scarface? Going around stealing cars and shooting random people goes stale after a while because, its meaningless. I really dont get the appeal.

Second_Hokage

Clearly TC has only played Vice city.

Your a pretty poor troll matey.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!Xaero_Gravity
This has absolutely no connection to this thread yet it is my favorite comment so far.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts
I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!Xaero_Gravity
Live free or die. Fvck yeah. They're back.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Second_Hokage

http://www.gamespot.com/grand-theft-auto-iv/reviews/grand-theft-auto-iv-review-6190025/read

and the most recent GTAs have been taking around 4 years each to make

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

High levels of polish,large production values,great stories and writting(sometime racial stereotypes are a bit overused here and there,but not a big issue for me),well designed and expansive gaming worlds(a satirical display of American society),great gameplay mechanics,variety and signifficant improvements over sequels,etc..

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

You can do most of the illegal things you would like to, without fear of getting in trouble. Plus, hookers give you health back. It's a perfect world

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
It's a pretty ignorant question. It's like the common "What's so great about Shakespeare anyway." Shakespeare essentially handed us the English language. LIkewise, Grand Theft Auto essentially gave us action adventure template used since 2001. It would be a very different industry without Grand Theft Auto.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Eh, I may not be interested in the GTA series myself, but I can see why people like it (heck, even I admit to liking a few of it's concepts). With the open world (I like), having the want to go on a rampage (meh), and having a wide variety of vehicles to choose from to explore (that I like).

Though right now, the closest thing to GTA I'm playing is True Crime: Streets of LA (PS2). SW may not like it and see it as a poor GTA clone, but I think it's pretty fun.

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
i think your thread was aimed at FPS not GTA
whiteboyrep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whiteboyrep
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
i think you're a moron
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Damn lazy trolls in SW these days.

cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

Hmm now that I think about it, a Breaking Bad game would be awesome.

"Telltale, get on it, stat!"

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

SPYDER0416

Yeah,another quality Second_Hokage thread :lol:

Have you ever seen that guy respond to the posts made in his threads?

Thinking of it,I never did :?

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

[QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"]I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!cabose38

Hmm now that I think about it, a Breaking Bad game would be awesome.

"Telltale, get on it, stat!"

Tony Hawk HD lets you use your avatar as a character, so this is what I'm using. :D
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Eh, I may not be interested in the GTA series myself, but I can see why people like it (heck, even I admit to liking a few of it's concepts). With the open world (I like), having the want to go on a rampage (meh), and having a wide variety of vehicles to choose from to explore (that I like).

Though right now, the closest thing to GTA I'm playing is True Crime: Streets of LA (PS2). SW may not like it and see it as a poor GTA clone, but I think it's pretty fun.

nintendoboy16

Have you beat Street of LA before? and if not, how far are you?

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Rocker6

Yeah,another quality Second_Hokage thread :lol:

Have you ever seen that guy respond to the posts made in his threads?

Thinking of it,I never did :?

Well actually...

There was this one time....

Oh.

You're right, I'm trying to remember but he just fire and forgets really

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

the_bi99man

Nope, got to mission three sometime ago on the main branch. Mostly, I just wander around and solve street crimes.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

nintendoboy16

Nope, got to mission three sometime ago on the main branch. Mostly, I just wander around and solve street crimes.

Ah, then I won't give away any story spoilers. Despite it's faults, I actually had a lot of fun with that game way back in the day. It did feel like something of a GTA clone, but the fighting and gunplay is actually really deep.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

They are fun

/end thread

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

I have never understood the appeal either. I did like Red Dead Redemption. Something about GTA just feels wrong. I am all for violance and boobs but I don't see the point in having those things for shock value. GTA just seems to be poor taste. I do think GTA4 solved that in a way but it just was not a very good game in my opinion. I think Max Payne 3 and RDR beats the hell out of it.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

well sandbox and mindless violence takes a part

and nikko and cj being criminals never made it to the top of the underworld or drug trade.they kinda just went on with their lives

Dubaholick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dubaholick
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts
I don't mind GTA for a few mindless hours, driving around and doing whatever crazy shenanigans my mind desires. But after those first few hours it is rare for me to go any further as I have no interest in completing any of the storyline, hence the reason I haven't bought a GTA title since San Andreas.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34766 Posts

You can do a lot of things in a city that you would like to do. That's probably the reason. Freedom. It's just too bad it's not that fun to do stuff in the games. I remember GTA1 and GTA2 when I actually had fun with the series. GTA: Chinatown Wars was excellent as well.

TommyBarban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TommyBarban
Member since 2012 • 653 Posts

High levels of polish,large production values,great stories and writting(sometime racial stereotypes are a bit overused here and there,but not a big issue for me),well designed and expansive gaming worlds(a satirical display of American society),great gameplay mechanics,variety and signifficant improvements over sequels,etc..

Rocker6
BAM! What this Radical Ninja said.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

SPYDER0416

yeah failing at every lvl, there are no fun trolls in sw anymore just a bunch of morons

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Going around stealing cars and shooting random people goes stale after a while

Second_Hokage

Not really.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

The freedom to do everything you want, big open world, the humor is really funny imo, the city usually is very detailed for the time the game comes out, funny characters, good story, good music, good atmosphere, good physics (GTA IV and onward)...

And the devs never go the lazy route and just bring out yearly titles that have little to no new content. There are thousands of different pedestrian models in GTA, thousands speeches, thousands of animations and little details.

Just a couple of reasons why I think this is the best gaming series ever created.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

After reading the topic title I was prepared to write a very long post detailing exactly why GTA is by far the best game franchise of the 21st century. Then I read the first post and realised how obvious a troll thread this was, so I didn't bother.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts
I loved the original games and it took me a while to even want to get around to the games after the dramatic changes between GTA2 and GTA3, though I was pretty intrigued after a friend showed me Vice City and I've been a fan again since.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

I'm not too sure, I only ever got into GTA, GTA 3 and Vice City.

I have GTA 4, but to be honest I never really gave it much of a chance.

I couldn't get into San Andreas.

Although I remember this one awesome mission in GTA Vice City I think, where i'm supposed to chase this guy in a car and kill him and after one or so attempts I blocked his drive way with a big vehicle like a fire engine or something and just finished him as he struggled to get out lol, I was quite proud of that.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I didn't like GTA 4 but i'm still going to try GTAV when its released.

MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

GTA is fun, that's why.

And no it isn't the same thing every time around, maybe the base of the story and everything sure. But there's always new features or new mechanics that make the game play so much differently each time.

And there's more to do than just killing people you know, if that's all you choose to do that's your problem, I'd say every OTHER game is more of the same thing. All shooters and their sequels you shoot, racing games you race, etc. Whereas in GTA there are races, there are police missions, there's shooting, there's flying, there's exploring, you can do what a lot of people do and try to actually obey laws and be good, there's a ton of different things to do, it's probably one of the least repetitive if you don't play it the same way every time...It's all up to you.

But again, what's so good about GTA?...Fun is the answer to that.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
What's so good about the Call of Duty series, the Legend of Zelda series, the Metal Gear Solid series, the Resident Evil series, the Gears of War series, the Metroid series, the Uncharted series, the Crash Bandicoot series, or any other game series? TC - people have different tastes in what they like to play. I happen to enjoy the GTA series, while you seem to not enjoy the GTA series. That's absolutely a reason why I like gaming - there is variety enough that any gamer can find something that appeals to them.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Second_Hokage
I am not going to explain myself. If you don't understand by now, me explaining isn't going to change anything.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
The humor. Jason Sudeikis was great in GTA IV, Lazlow was hilarious in III, and the games' characters are almost always amusing. Even the rare miss, like Brucie, can be enjoyable (they really made a better character out of him in Gay Tony). Then there's the production value... no one makes a world filled with detail and as polished as Rockstar.
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

besides the driving, GTA games have always captured the open world experience better than any other modern game. (I had to say modern because Elder Scrolls is better)

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#43 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
you sure must never played... where u get that information from? off a McDonald cup while eating those foam fries?
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#44 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]It's a pretty ignorant question. It's like the common "What's so great about Shakespeare anyway." Shakespeare essentially handed us the English language. LIkewise, Grand Theft Auto essentially gave us action adventure template used since 2001. It would be a very different industry without Grand Theft Auto.

Agreed. I understand its a debate starter. But it's always been up there with arguing over visuals to me....................TC is essentially asking to be convinced he is wrong in his opinion about GTA. It makes no sense to me. I dont like RTS games. I never ask others to tell me what's so great about Starcraft.
Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts
[QUOTE="Second_Hokage"]

AmazonTreeBoa
I am not going to explain myself. If you don't understand by now, me explaining isn't going to change anything.

It might... please explain, i need convincing!
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Probably cause you don't have to go through the tedious process of aiming when you shoot
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

They're fun? That's what's 'so' good about them. Clumsy as goddamn hell though, makes me want to bash my head into my desk sometimes with how clumsy it is.

The game's are just as meaningless as any other game, or any other form of art for that matter.

K-E316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 K-E316
Member since 2007 • 1651 Posts

Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. The fact that you think they are all the same shows it. GTA revolutionized gaming in several ways.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Everything.

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts

SPYDER0416
+1 GTA V will be better than any game this gen.