Whats nintendo without mario?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

MOst people buy their console just to play mario. 

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Whats ms without halo?

Whats sony without god of war?

whats alienware without extra zero in the price?

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

I'm personaly more of a Zelda fan than a Mario fan.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

still got pokemon and zelda

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Nintendo without Mario.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
How should we know? We're not from an alternate timeline.
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Yeah, take one of the biggest selling points away from any product and they might suck.  

THOSE LOSERS!

Its like that time I bought a TV with no screen.  F*cking sucked.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

In my opinion better.   :lol:

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

and the handhelds for Pokemon. They got lucky... 2 of the most successful franchises on the planet belong to them. Sony has none and M$ has Halo. edit: Forgot that Sony has GT.

Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

whats you without your parents?

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Alienware_fan

whats you without your parents?

Dark_man123

you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Several other great IPs.
Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Alienware_fan

Several other great IPs. darkspineslayer
Yeah.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Everyone is mad that SMG and SMG2 are the highest rated exclusives this gen. Real, real mad.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 timbers_WSU

I am actually not joking. Without Mario Nintendo would use a Hell of a lot more of their back catalog. And the best thing is they can still have Mario Kart and Smash Brothers. Just throw someone else's name on Mario Kart. (Diddy Kong Racing anyone?)

Fvck Mario.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner

I am actually not joking. Without Mario Nintendo would use a Hell of a lot more of their back catalog. And the best thing is they can still have Mario Kart and Smash Brothers. Just throw someone else's name on Mario Kart. (Diddy Kong Racing anyone?)

Fvck Mario.

timbers_WSU

Haha, so mad!  

Gotta give you props for not hiding the fact, you just laid it all out on the table.

"I'm extremely butthurt" ~ Timbers

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 timbers_WSU

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

I am actually not joking. Without Mario Nintendo would use a Hell of a lot more of their back catalog. And the best thing is they can still have Mario Kart and Smash Brothers. Just throw someone else's name in Mario Kart. (Diddy Kong Racing anyone?)

Fvck Mario.

ConanTheStoner

Haha, so mad!  

Gotta give you props for not hiding the fact, you just laid it all out on the table.

Hey I like Nintendo. I hate seeing them throw it all away. Now Sheep? They all are about out of things to defend at this point. If anyone is gonna need some ass rubbing liquid it will be them. Kuraimen has some they can borrow.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts
use Wikipedia.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 timbers_WSU

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

Fvck Mario.

ConanTheStoner

Haha, so mad!  

Also- What is there to be butthurt about? People over use it anyways but in this case it makes no sense.
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

Fvck Mario.

timbers_WSU

Haha, so mad!  

Hey I like Nintendo. I hate seeing them throw it all away. Now Sheep? They all are about out of things to defend at this point. If anyone os gonna need some ass rubbing liquid it will be them. Kuraimen has some they can borrow.

Well I dont see them throwing it all away like you said.  

But yeah, I can get were you're coming from with Sheep.  Overly defensive at times.

I'm kind of the same way with Sony.  Love the consoles!  Hate the fans lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

Fvck Mario.

timbers_WSU

Haha, so mad!  

Also- What is there to be butthurt about? People over use it anyways but in this case it makes no sense.

Eh, its just a catch all phrase for trolling.  But really, you did seem upset about some Mario lol.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
really? ive never bought a nintendo system for mario. Smash and pokemon though...
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

Erm...not...Nintendo , perhaps?Seriously though , they have other 1st party franchises , 360 is pretty much nothing without Halo ; and we can safely say that although Sony doesn't have a single flagship title their 1st party support is what made the ps3 successful.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 timbers_WSU

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

Haha, so mad!  

ConanTheStoner

Eh, its just a catch all phrase for trolling.  But really, you did seem upset about some Mario lol.

Truth. The best 2-D game I have played in a long time is Donkey Kong Country Returns. Which is a Nintendo franchise. I liked Epic Yarn as well, or at least the concept. Iook at the 4 Mario games in the New series and then look at Rayman Origins and Donkey Kong and I am just like "Please? Milk Donkey Kong for a while!" Mario is good. But by now Nintendo has all the textures, level design, and backdrops stored on a PC. They can build Mario games in a month at this point. Their hardest problem with the game is figuring out how the Princess gets kidnapped. Just drop Mario and throw Starfox in it, That would be an improvement.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eddie-Murphy48
Member since 2013 • 939 Posts

Without Mario, the NES would have had more balance with tis thrid-party support, and once nintendos [ractices hwere deemed legal during the super nintendo, the N64 would have crashed, Nintendo would either cease or be third-party, then because of that, we would have no druken fans thinking nitnendo magically has some sort of charm in its games that are timeless and unique, and then unique games that get bad reps or don't sell on the better consoles would end up selling more and we would have new ideas instea of having a company rehash the same ideas over and over, and because it's the only console that has different games all it's games get above 9's. (lol smg is a good series?)

N64 is when Nintendo pretty much died anyway, the SNES only did good in Japan and the U.S., mostly the U.S. and when the N64 came out, they tried hardest to impress the U.S, audience, if they actually tried to equally market the N64 the N64 would have been the last Nintendo console outside of Gameboy.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"] Also- What is there to be butthurt about? People over use it anyways but in this case it makes no sense.timbers_WSU

Truth. The best 2-D game I have played in a long time is Donkey Kong Country Returns. Which is a Nintendo franchise. I liked Epic Yarn as well, or at least the concept. Iook at the 4 Mario games in the New series and then look at Rayman Origins and Donkey Kong and I am just like "Please? Milk Donkey Kong for a while!" Mario is good. But by now Nintendo has all the textures, level design, and backdrops stored on a PC. They can build Mario games in a month at this point. Their hardest problem with the game is figuring out how the Princess gets kidnapped. Just drop Mario and throw Starfox in it, That would be an improvement.

Yeah, DKCR is one of the best platformers ever.  Very under-appreciated when compared to a lot of other games in its genre and LEAGUES above any NSMB game imo.  Epic Yarn was also cool, but just way too easy.

I'll agree though.  The NSMB games, as rock solid as they are, have become very stale.  They feel like Mario games produced by a machine.  They hit all the right notes to be a top of the line platformer, but they lack any kind of soul or charm.  No risks whatsoever.

But the main Mario titles?  I have to say both of the Galaxy games are polar opposites of how I just described NSMB.  Top of the line quality platformers, but also inventive from beginning to end.  I cant even believe that one game studio could come up with so many brilliant ideas and make them all work together so well.

I get your overall point though.  Nintendo needs to even out the playing field with their stable of IPs.  Mario was too scarce for far too long.  Now they brought him back and its just too much.

Moderation Nintendo, treat your IPs with moderation!

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

MOst people buy their console just to play mario. 

Alienware_fan

Wow. Such an eloquent way to make such a profound point. I can tell you are REALLY educated about gaming and know exactly what you're talking about...:roll:

To answer your direct question; an amazing company. There. That was easy. Moving on....

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

timbers_WSU

The problem that comes with 'milking' Donkey Kong is that the franchise isn't anywhere near as successful, first of all. DKCR may have sold well, but compared to NSMB Wii, it's no contest and didn't make close to the same impact on the system's success. Furthermore, I doubt that it would have even been as successful if it wasn't for the nostalgic angle that came with the "Donkey Kong Country" angle, and it wasn't developed in-house by Nintendo itself, meaning that Nintendo itself didn't have to use its EAD resources on a DK game when Mario is almost always the better option from a commercial perspective. Sure, the 2D Mario games carried the same nostalgic branding, but it also managed to attract a more diverse following, including new players, that no DK game could hope to get.

Say what you will about how frequent the Mario games come. Heck, I thought releasing NSMB2 and NSMBU only a few months apart was overkill myself, which was clearly made evident in the Wii U game's sales. That said, Mario is about as reliable of a brand that you can have in this industry, especially if you're trying to attract new and lesser experienced gamers into the fold, while still being attractive to established fans. That's why Nintendo will continue to turn to him, as well as why it makes sense to resort to the brand whenever Nintendo needs a key software game. Other than Pokemon, everything else in Nintendo's arsenal is a shot in the woods that may or may not prove to work, depending on the idea and timing. Metroid, DK, Star Fox, and F-Zero are probably best at being once-in-a-while franchises at this point, while the likes of Zelda and Kirby are the consistent, but occasional gap-fillers in Nintendo's library.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

k2theswiss

:lol: Made looking at this thread worth it.

Nintendo has at least..... um.....three (?) other franchises to milk to hell and back. Nintendo has been relaying on these games for decades. And, while some are admittedly good, most of what they put out is casual crap or is tired and over used, Oh look, another Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong game. And look at all the..........small changes they made! YEAH! People rag on Call of Duty for being basically the same thing over countless iterations, but Nintendo is the real king of milkage and are far more guilty than Activision.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
Nintendo without mario.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

What's Nintendo without mario?

Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Starfox, Kid Icarus, LUIGIS MANSION AWW YEAH and countless others. Just naming stuff off the top of my head.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Like peanut butter without jelly. Like a fish without the sea. Like Hall without Oates.getyeryayasout

aka peanut butter, fish, and Hall

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

Whats ms without halo?

k2theswiss

Pretty weak argument. Halo and GoW isn't even close to what Mario is to Nintendo. They may be good games, but not pivotal in any way.

Quad4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Quad4Life
Member since 2013 • 776 Posts
Everyone is mad that SMG and SMG2 are the highest rated exclusives this gen. Real, real mad.princeofshapeir
Nobody is mad that a game who's score was adjusted for the low standards of the Wii scoring high. SMG on other platforms a 7.5 at best.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
At least they have a mascot lulz, Sony still struggling to find one.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Everyone is mad that SMG and SMG2 are the highest rated exclusives this gen. Real, real mad.Quad4Life
Nobody is mad that a game who's score was adjusted for the low standards of the Wii scoring high. SMG on other platforms a 7.5 at best.

Funny how lower standard games can still rake in GotY awards over their higher standard competitors.

And where do the other consoles fit into this standards bracket?  Or do you just ignore the PC in your standards argument?

Anyways.  Simply reading a review for either SMG game would tell you that you're wrong.  Actually playing the games would help as well.  They would probably be some of the best games you ever played, but you'll never know.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Mario = COD. The ironic thing is that its Nintendos other IPs vs Mario and none of them come close in sales. Maybe pokemon..

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Zelda > Mario

There I said it

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

Zelda > Mario

There I said it

Ballroompirate

I think many would agree. 

Zelda has been more consistent than Mario imo.  The SMG games are the only top notch Mario platformers to come out since SMW.  That's a crazy gap.  Of course I know many would say that Mario 64 is godly, but I never saw it that way.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

correction.

Where would Nintendo be without Miyamoto?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
OP still believes he has 6gb of GDDR5 :lol:
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Whats ms without halo?

k2theswiss

Huh? GOW isn't even the highest seller on Playstation lol.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Let's see:  F-Zero, Star Fox, Zelda, Metroid, Wario, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, the Wii-series, Punch-Out and Pokemon.

Yeah I'm not a fan of all of these franchises and some haven't seen many games lately but Nintendo has a lot of franchises under their belt other than Mario.  

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

Whats ms without halo?

Douevenlift_bro

Huh? GOW isn't even the highest seller on Playstation lol.

Really, Sony doesn't have that one iconic character synonymous character with their company because every gen they push new franchises. Honestly, it woulldn't surprise me if there wasn't any Uncharted games on the PS4. I guess you could make an argument for Kratos.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Alienware_fan

OP still believes he has 6gb of GDDR5 :lol:MonsieurX
drofl.:lol:

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Oh yeah, without Mario, Pikachu would become the defualt Nintendo mascot, not Link.