What's a game so good that it ruined other games for you?

• 51 results
Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

There's a couple for me but I have to say my main one has to be Battlefield 2. Every other MP game since then has felt sub-par since sure graphics look better on the newer games but that's about it. For me no other MP game has come close to how good BF2 gameplay is what about you?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I wouldn't say any game has ruined others for me, but I judge all arcade racing games to Forza Horizon and they never really come close :(

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Dreams.

I don't think i ever spent a day in the last 3 decades without playing videogames (other than vacations and weekends out). Since Dreams beta came out, about a year ago, i haven't played almost anything else.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Diablo 2. Blizzard absolutely nailed the ol lootin n levellin in D2 and i cant find anything better released since. Torchlight 1 and 2 were good. Diablo 3 was meh. Victor Vran was ok for a while but becomes a bit of a slog. Borderlands nailed the Guns side of the looting but (probably due to it being first person) didnt really have the armour side and character customisation side.

The genre hasn't really had anything amazing since. Its a genre that is now rife with attached strings like obligatory online play and MTXs out the wazoo. accountants now seem to design these games.

I just want to come home after work, boot up a game, smash some monsters up, get some loot and level up with an enjoyable but not overly complex combat system and maybe connect to my mates PC from time to time so we can go lootin and levellin together. am i asking to much?

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

HL2 and Bioshock ruined all singleplayer shooters for me.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

Disco Elysium made The Outer Worlds a lot less substantial. Disco is my GOTY.

Overall, I guess Fallout 2 ruined many RPGs for me. The Witcher 3 ruined all fantasy RPG games except for Dark Souls. Every other fantasy RPG is kinda crap compared to Witcher 3. Lol Especially Dragon Age Inquisition. Origins might still be okay, but haven't revisited it after TW3.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#7 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Don't think there has one to be honest. Mario Odyssey really wowed me in recent years though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70393 Posts

Dishonored. The combat, powers and the pure non lethal option really have affected my view of other stealth games.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts
  1. Bad Company series
  2. FF series during the PS era
  3. KotOR 1 and 2
  4. Mass Effect 1 and 2
  5. Arkham Asylum
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59314 Posts

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

From Software games ruined other games for me.

It made me find less satisfaction in games that have gameplay mechanics that have no nuance or depth.

Dark Souls and Skyrim came out around the same time, and after beating Dark Souls I picked up Skyrim. It took me less than two hours of playing it before realizing how much I was hating the gameplay. After those two hours I never booted up Skyrim ever again and I've avoided Bethesda games in general like the plague (cause their games have always been shitty).

Same goes with ruining Assassin's Creed. I bought Black Flag and subsequently I realized how shitty the Assassin's Creed franchise has always been and I couldn't bring myself to play far into that game either. I never bought an Assassin's Creed game ever again.

Thank you, From Software, for helping me find my standards in games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17692 Posts

TLoU’s combat.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9432 Posts

Supreme Commander is the only competitive RTS needed.

Blizzard RTS games are bad.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Sim City 2000 made Sim City a joke compared.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17904 Posts

Ocarina of Time. Such a revolutionary and amazing game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16017 Posts
  • Persona 3
  • Bloodborne
  • Starcraft.

Persona 3 although not the first is very influential in combining dating sim and Jrpg. Now we have Legend of Heroes series, fire emblem and bunch other jrpg using this mechanic and honestly it got so normalized it kinds of ruins my enjoyment of those game cause I always compares those to Persona.

Starcraft is the best RTS game I have ever played and when I buy a strategy game, I expect it to play like Starcraft.

Bloodborne is just special. No game this gen can come close to what bloodborne combat, lore and world building offered to me. To me Bloodborne ruined souls for good. If I want to play a "souls like" game, I dont actually want to play souls but more like bloodborne. From Soft and Sony suspend whatever you doing and make Bloodborne 2 plis.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Quake III Arena. Everything after it pales in comparison as far as I am concerned. Since Q3A iv only been able to get into two other competitive FPS games, TF2 and Tribes Ascend (Also Arma 1,2,3 but those are tactical shooters).

Also, Everquest 1 set the standard for all other MMOS that followed, I struggled to enjoy any other MMO I have played and nowadays I skip them entirely because they just aren't Everquest. Everquest spoiled me rotten, it was so good.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1615 Posts

Demon's Souls basically took out every other game for years for me.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@osan0: I think Silent Hill 2 has ruined all other horror games for me. There simply hasn't been a better horror game since.

The Mario Kart games per generation seems to have destroyed all the other Kart games (but admittedly I have not played any of the recent Sonic Kart games).

I think Street Fighter 3 Third Strike still beats all the other side-scrolling one on one fighting games. I still hope they do a re-make.

Otherwise, I think each generation seems to beat the prequels.

Ithrewupfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ithrewupfire
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts

Halo 3

4 player coop, splitscreen, fun campaing and good length , tons mp modes and maps , forge , theater, etc...

Games today don't launch with all that.

Rocket league also ruined all other sports games for me.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Europa Universalis 4 basically made me stop caring about Civilization and Total War, despite not really being all that similar. I just can't go back to the level of diplomacy in those games.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

BFBC2 & Bf4 for FPS

Uncharted 2 for TPS

Oblivion for RPG

Skate series any extreme sports

Tiger Woods 2007 and Hot Shots Golf for sports

Mass Effect 2 for PVE

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Persona 3, until then I had not really given a damn about JRPGs, but I really enjoyed it and it opened me up to the thought of playing more JRPGs, problem was though nearly everything else seemed like crap by comparison.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#26 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5183 Posts

Hydro Thunder for Arcade Racers. No modern games come close to the ridiculous fun.

Yakuza 0 for open world games. The story is great, the side missions are whacky, and the mini games give the world life and substance. And it gives you a break from the dramatic story missions.

Bloodborne for combat. It makes other games lack of combat depth really noticeable.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Vanquish. All other third person shooters felt like slogs through waist high mud after that.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

@narlymech said:

HL2 and Bioshock ruined all singleplayer shooters for me.

Yeah same... although I think games like the new Wolfensteins come close to giving me that same feeling.

@speeny said:

Don't think there has one to be honest. Mario Odyssey really wowed me in recent years though.

Was going to say Odyssey too. No game has made me smile so much in years.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Also like to add F.E.A.R. has ruined FPS for me nothing has come close to it's satisfying firefights.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17692 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

Tetris. Once you go block...

Heh.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yes a couple. Chrono Trigger ruined basically 90% of the turn based JRPG's for me. I cannot play a simple turn based combat system anymore. I even have trouble playing DQ11 on the PC because Chrono Trigger's action mode was just more fun for me.

I know Chrono Trigger's story isn't perhaps the best story ever told, BUT it ALSO ruined most video game stories for me. And that is because I went into Chrono Trigger blindly. I didn't know any of the praise it got prior to playing it, I didn't have any review of the game available to me. So I didn't expect Chrono Trigger to pay some attention to my actions. Or to have it become this grand adventure. Or to have it ask me to save Luca's mom (I didn't manage). I legit thought the game was going to end shortly after the first time period you visit. And it totally didn't.

It was the first video game that made me feel anything with its story. That made me feel anything for its characters. And to this day, most video games don't manage to make me care much. Most of video game stories have so little setup/context or are so Hollywood movie-esque (or just plain ridiculous playing fast and loose with their own rules) that they don't grab me at all. And I think that without Chrono Trigger I wouldn't be so harsh on video game stories and characters. Not because Chrono Trigger is the best story that can be told, or even told in the best way possible, but because of the impression it made on me when I first played it.

---

I think there is also a very old FPS franchise that ruined FPS campaigns for me. And I think it was Brothers In Arms. And you had the ability to control a fire team and a suppression team or something. And I remember thinking that this was going to be the future of FPS gaming. This game gave me the hope that FPS campaigns would involve sophisticated A.I. that you can tactically interact with and enemies that would somewhat strategically play around with you. None of that happened of course. FPS campaigns are the dumbest shit in gaming, to this day. I'm still sour at how the genre got stuck in time. And I'm not sure if that's fair, but I do blame COD for some of that. I haven't played the latest COD game yet and I hear it does have a decent campaign... I don't know that it will impress me.

---

BOTW hurt Horizon: Zero Dawn for me. And it's kind of funny because if I look at how it's put together there are many little flaws in BOTW. Like how people pop up in front of you while travelling. IMO it's not close to the technical achievement that Horizon is. (And Horizon even had a pretty cool story telling moment in it.) But after playing BOTW, Horizon just felt archaic. The lack or I should say restrictions in terms of jumping/climbing/interaction, the lack of exploration and dynamics, the whole static questing structure made me feel like I was sent 10 years back in time after witnessing how free and refreshing open world gaming could be. I still enjoyed it... and I think I gave it an 8 or something, but without BOTW I would have enjoyed it more.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Devil May Cry 5. I was already a snob about melee combat before, but holy shit did I forget how much I lowered my standards in the absence of proper DMC. Especially modded, I can only imagine how bad it's gonna be when community edition is done. Sekiro, which has good gameplay is kind of a slog at times, because that game is mad restrictive compared to what DMC5 offers, can you imagine all those baby games yall gas up with the shit tastic gameplay? **** outta here.

And I never grow tired of any cool tech shit people find

Loading Video...

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna go full shill for Nioh 2, but until then DEVIL MAY CRY IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts

None. games are constantly evolving. What was incredible ten years ago is dated today. There are very few games that have yet to be toppled. Only nostalgia would prevent people from saying otherwise.

With that said, if I had to pick one, I'd say Deus Ex. No first-person RPG with action elements has come close to combining all aspects of a game as perfectly as Deus Ex. Writing, characters, character development, choice, dialogue options, pacing, gameplay...all perfect.

Hope Cyberpunk dethrones it.

@Pedro said:

Dishonored. The combat, powers and the pure non lethal option really have affected my view of other stealth games.

Yeah if I a game could ruin other games it'd be this.

Or, interestingly enough, a lot of other stealth games. Thief 1 and 2, Splinter Cell, Hitman.

There's just something about stealth games that is just the best and nothing comes close.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 291 Posts

Grand Theft Auto :VIce city was the game that it did for me in 2002 until Fallout 3 came out

dude_sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dude_sh
Member since 2019 • 47 Posts

fear games, half life 2 (which unfortunately cant play it again, the fov and something about the movements or the game engine really made me feel sick. loved the game but couldent play it in long session. i know a lot of other people felt the same way.)

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

TW3 and Breath of The Wild ruined Horizon for me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts

Kotor

... And probably breath of the Wild. Been tough to play open world games since botw.

Douglas129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Douglas129
Member since 2019 • 17 Posts

Tetris Is Best

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

@Ithrewupfire said:

Halo 3

4 player coop, splitscreen, fun campaing and good length , tons mp modes and maps , forge , theater, etc...

Games today don't launch with all that.

Rocket league also ruined all other sports games for me.

Yes! That game is so simple to grasp while at the same time very hard to master; yet I can hop into any 3v3 match with people far better than me and still be able to effect the game and fun. Meanwhile, NBA 2K continues to be the most needlessly complicated sports title I've ever played, it's controls are worst than a Japanese fighting game.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

Nintendo Switch has ruined all other consoles to me. I still play my PS4 for the titles that don;'t come to Switch, but I'd much prefer to play every game on the Switch. If the Nintendo Switch were as powerful as the other two, I would've sold my PS4 years ago. I like being able to take my gaming to the spare bedroom and just get engrossed in a game for an hour or so.

Street Fighter 4 was like crack for a long time with me, so when SFV came out I just wasn't feeling that game the same way SF4 grabbed me. I actually ended up going back to SF2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

The soulsborne games.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

The greatest action game ever made ruined everything else for me, Bayonetta 2 with its supreme gameplay made it impossible for me to play anything that is less than perfect ... i just can't get back to games like DMC4 which i previously loved ... GoW 3 and even Ninja Gaiden (however, the first one is still ok to be fair, the rest ... not so much).

I still want to play the newer DMC, i heard is pretty good ... but yeah, older games are a chore for me to play now.

AJuiceMatts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AJuiceMatts
Member since 2019 • 88 Posts

BOTW has ruined all open world games for me.

Honestly a lot of games in general.....going back to restrictions is pretty hard to do

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3110 Posts

Diablo 2 - best arpg

Halo CE - best mp

Demon's Souls - best manual combat

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#46  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@mtron32 said:

Nintendo Switch has ruined all other consoles to me. I still play my PS4 for the titles that don;'t come to Switch, but I'd much prefer to play every game on the Switch. If the Nintendo Switch were as powerful as the other two, I would've sold my PS4 years ago. I like being able to take my gaming to the spare bedroom and just get engrossed in a game for an hour or so.

Street Fighter 4 was like crack for a long time with me, so when SFV came out I just wasn't feeling that game the same way SF4 grabbed me. I actually ended up going back to SF2.

Actually that's a really good one to bring up. I experience the same thing with the Switch. I've barely touched my PS4 since I got a Switch not just because of the games but I feel hesitant to go back to being stuck with a TV.

I know that the PS4 has remote play or things like that. I haven't tried its streaming features and maybe it would change the way I feel about it. But the classic console experience doesn't really do it for me anymore. You remove a lot of flexibility that I have now grown accustomed to. I am eagerly awaiting a more powerful Switch system.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Hollow Knight. Cant play other metroidvania's since then.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I'm still waiting for an FPS to match the greatness of Half-Life 2 (and its two episodes). I played it last night for a couple of hours, and it holds up extremely well, both technically and in terms of gameplay. The pacing, the narrative structure, the level design, the overall movement and gunplay mechanics, the physics engine... Valve really didn't step a wrong foot with this one.

I just wish they would make a proper sequel rather than a gimmicky VR spinoff.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34766 Posts

@dzimm said:

I'm still waiting for an FPS to match the greatness of Half-Life 2 (and its two episodes). I played it last night for a couple of hours, and it holds up extremely well, both technically and in terms of gameplay. The pacing, the narrative structure, the level design, the overall movement and gunplay mechanics, the physics engine... Valve really didn't step a wrong foot with this one.

I just wish they would make a proper sequel rather than a gimmicky VR spinoff.

Yeah, HL2 more than holds up well. It still fucking destroys new FPSs. Which is just sad.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#50  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25059 Posts

@Litchie said:
It still fucking destroys new FPSs. Which is just sad.

and STALKER completely destroyed HL2 3 years after released.