What was the Best Bioshock game?

• 61 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

Poll What was the Best Bioshock game? (58 votes)

Bioshock 60%
Bioshock 2 19%
Bioshock Infinite 21%

Hello friends,

Not my Fav FPS franchise. infact among my my least fav one. it has 3 games and 4th one is also coming so lets decide which one is better shall we?

I rate them the order they release.

Bioshock > Bioshock 2 >> Bioshock infinite

Bioshock was watered down version of System shock 2 despite being spritual successor, have shock in title and develop by ken levine. but it does have one of the most unique and interesting setting and atmosphere. however gameplay was mediocre.

Bioshock 2 was inferior sequel and playing as big daddy was not apealing at all. more of same but inferior.

Infinite is dumbed down version of Bioshock which itself was dumbed down version of System shock. making it one of the worst AAA FPS game ever made.

so the best one to me is original by far.

so my friends, what was the best one? lets vote and discuss

• 
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#1 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70548 Posts

I enjoyed them all equally.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14833 Posts

First one was my favourite.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56488 Posts

Overall Bioshock>Bioshock 2>Bioshock: Infinite but they all have their merits. None of them are bad games so it's worth playing through the whole trilogy. (And don't skip any of the DLC! You'll miss out)

The combat in Bioshock 2 is a lot better than 1 and really makes you think about preparation (setting traps etc) before each encounter. It also feels bigger in scale than 1 (and most importantly, your a Big Daddy with an arm drill that was a lot of fun to use) but not on the level of infinite. On the flipside the world doesn't do enough to differentiate from the original and it feels more like an extended DLC. The plot is pretty thin and the antagonist is uninteresting, especially compared to 1 and infinite which were really strong in these areas.

A lot of people dislike Bioshock 2's story, but I enjoyed how they expanded on the lore while letting you see even more of the city. I feel Bioshock 1 and 2 combined give you a greater scope of just how massive Rapture truly is and how the hierarchy of power wasn't just Andrew Ryan vs Frank Fontaine and later Atlas. It's a whole hell of a lot of world-building.

Final note: I want to add that I recommend if it is your first time playing Bioshock games, take your time, enjoy the world and soak it all up. All three are great experiences. Overall, my favorite would be a close tie between Bioshock and Bioshock 2.

Fun fact: Ken Levine was gonna make a 4th Bioshock game for the PS Vita but that deal never went through and he had plans to port Bioshock: Infinite to Nintendo Wii U but never went through with it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7380 Posts

I voted 2 since it improves the gameplay of the first (though still not amazing) and I think Sofia Lamb is a totally underrated villain. Doesn't really do enough new if you play them back to back, but spaced out, 2 is a fun trip back to Rapture.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11711 Posts

1 > 2 > trash can > Infinite.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56488 Posts

@ghosts4ever: My friend, please stop comparing Bioshock to System Shock. Let Bioshock be its own entity, Bioshock was doing its own thing, you can't compare it to another game, you gotta forget about the other guy and let it be its own thing.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25090 Posts

@davillain- said:

@ghosts4ever: My friend, please stop comparing Bioshock to System Shock. Let Bioshock be its own entity, Bioshock was doing its own thing, you can't compare it to another game, you gotta forget about the other guy and let it be its own thing.

Both are shock games both by ken levine. and yes Bioshock have more unique setting ie underwater rapture and cool villain like Shodan ie Andrew Ryan and Frank. but since its straight up shooter. they should have made combat good.

its story and twist are also copy paste from system shock 2. Its plot twist was predictable and I can see it coming. shodan reveal was exact same as frank fontaine reveal.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 750 Posts

I played BS2 a few years after it came out, so went in with middling expectations. So, I think that is why I ended up enjoying it way more than I expected to. I still think the first one was the best. I played and beat Bioshock Infinite but ultimately, it just felt too different and forgettable to me.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts

Ah, the Bioshock series....one of the greatest achievements in the history of FPS gaming. My personal favorite is Infinite, but the original is right behind it. The second was good but a tier below the others imo.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39895 Posts

Bioshock 1 of course. The second was 90% as good, tho. People saying that the sequel is "meh" are high. You're allowed to shit on Infinite all you want.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@Miyomatic said:

Ah, the Bioshock series....one of the greatest achievements in the history of FPS gaming. My personal favorite is Infinite, but the original is right behind it. The second was good but a tier below the others imo.

how many FPS you played my friend?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2154 Posts

2 for me. It's like 1 but with much improved gameplay. Infinite was really meh.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#13  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

1. BioShock Infinite

2. BioShock

3. BioShock 2

I like the steampunk feel of Infinite. Reminds me of Studio Ghibli classics like Castle in the Sky. It's an underrated game.

OG BioShock has a more survival horror feel. So not surprised that Resident Evil (especially RE4) was cited as a major influence.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghosts4ever

@Jag85 said:

1. BioShock Infinite

2. BioShock

3. BioShock 2

I like the steampunk feel of Infinite. Reminds me of Studio Ghibli classics like Castle in the Sky. It's an underrated game.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite

Underrated? it has 94 on meta, get universal praise all from mainstream critics. the praise that Doom Eternal should have gotten lately.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

Bioshock is pretty good, love the atmosphere and story, but my favorite is Infinite. The immersion on that game is so good, i also love Liz as a companion and while the ending is a hit and a miss ... at least it did something different.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Bioshock 2. I think the game was a little bit more diverse in its gameplay than the first one. I didn't like Infinite, I had to push myself to finish that one.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23033 Posts

Bioshock 1 for atmosphere and story...

Bioshock 2 for gameplay... Easily. It's a noticeable upgrade over 1 with dual welding elements and better combat sequences.

Infinite was just ok. Weird game. Liked it but didn't love it.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

Bioshock 2. Once I got over the shock of losing the wrench... I started to fall in love with my cold snap drill.

But I enjoyed them all for sure. Bioshock 1 for the novelty, Infinite for the fantastic looking city of clouds... and if I ever need to listen to a doo-wop band.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@pelvist said:

Bioshock 2. I think the game was a little bit more diverse in its gameplay than the first one. I didn't like Infinite, I had to push myself to finish that one.

Really you finish Infinite my friend?

I couldnot bother to play it more than 1 and half hour. another game that is bioshock infinite level of bad is wolfenstein 2.

Id rather have Halo infinite than Bioshock infinite.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14503 Posts

Vanilla Infinite

I'm still bothered by the narrative beats of BaS, albeit the gameplay shift in Episode 2 was excellent.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44700 Posts

In its time, Bioshock, but replaying the re-releases I feel Bioshock 2 to be the most enjoyable just as I felt the first kind of dragged on a lot longer than I would have wanted. I felt Infinite was kind of a let-down due to all the hype when I originally played it. Replaying it again I enjoyed it a bit more but still I rank that third.

Maybe I just like Bioshock 2 a bit more because I feel I don't have enough time to play all the games I want to play these days. When I originally played it I actually felt it was too short. Funny. I think it's just the times. Back in 7th gen days people wanted meatier games. These days I think games are disgustingly bloated with shallow cookie cutter content and progression systems designed to drag games out through an almost grinding approach.

But I liked Prey (2017) more than any of these.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

1>2>>>>>>>>Infinite. 1 def had the biggest impact and aesthetic shock but 2 refined some gameplay elements (still not super great even for it's time). I turned infinite off several hours in.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59402 Posts

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

1 and 2 were good, Infinite seemed like it would be better, but then was actually much worse.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46653 Posts

Weren't we getting a new Bioshock?

At this point all I can think of is that Bioshock 4 will be an open world live service battle royale hero shooter.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup
@R4gn4r0k said:

At this point all I can think of is that Bioshock 4 will be an open world live service battle royale hero shooter.

In any other reality this would be a joke.

In the gaming industry, it's actually a possibility.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Miyomatic said:

how many FPS you played my friend?

Probably too many to count.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

In any other reality this would be a joke.

In the gaming industry, it's actually a possibility.

Bioshock 4 should take inspiration from Arkanes games like Disnonored Prey or upcoming Deathloop. make semi open level. and improve its gameplay mechanics since its gameplay is weakest part of franchise.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:

Really you finish Infinite my friend?

I couldnot bother to play it more than 1 and half hour. another game that is bioshock infinite level of bad is wolfenstein 2.

Id rather have Halo infinite than Bioshock infinite.

Yeah, I did manage to finish it but I did move onto playing Metro Last light and some other games in between and came back to Infinite about 2 months later when I realised I still had it installed. I have this thing about finishing games Iv bought which I think is a good thing because I have a massive backlog and I'm never without anything to play on PC.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1284 Posts

I like the first the most. Going through it the 1st time was much more memorable then the other 2 for me.

Would have been nice if they could have upgraded the graphics in 2. It's a bit too similar to 1 but worth playing through.

Infinite was enjoyable enough... Elizabeth was kinda annoying.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61543 Posts

Bioshock was my favourite. I don't think I even finished Bioshock 2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:

Bioshock 4 should take inspiration from Arkanes games like Disnonored Prey or upcoming Deathloop. make semi open level. and improve its gameplay mechanics since its gameplay is weakest part of franchise.

My friend, while I always respect your opinion above everyone else. I think this is an objectively poor idea.

What helped make games like System Shock and to a much lesser degree, Bioshock effective was the sense of claustrophobic isolation. Going outside wasn't an option and what was inside the tin can, wanted to murder you and had all gone to shit.

Something Bioshock: Infinity Stones sorely lacks. It's beautiful, incredibly so. But from a gameplay perspective, it;s disconnected sequences outer world considerably less interesting. Go as far to say "generic FPS".

This is the most worstest review in the history of man. Probably ever. Never have I seen someone say so much rose scented words while actually saying nothing of value.

Loading Video...

Interesting as well, after all his waffle about how "THIS GAME CHANGES EVERYTHING!", it's basically forgotten. With 0 impact.

Silly billy.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

My friend, while I always respect your opinion above everyone else. I think this is an objectively poor idea.

What helped make games like System Shock and to a much lesser degree, Bioshock effective was the sense of claustrophobic isolation. Going outside wasn't an option and what was inside the tin can, wanted to murder you and had all gone to shit.

Something Bioshock: Infinity Stones sorely lacks. It's beautiful, incredibly so. But from a gameplay perspective, it;s disconnected sequences outer world considerably less interesting. Go as far to say "generic FPS".

This is the most worstest review in the history of man. Probably ever. Never have I seen someone say so much rose scented words while actually saying nothing of value.

Loading Video...

Interesting as well, after all his waffle about how "THIS GAME CHANGES EVERYTHING!", it's basically forgotten. With 0 impact.

Silly billy.

my point was to make it good. took inspiration from Arkane games as they are closest thing to old school immersive sim or System shock 2 today. semi open doesnot mean go outside. it could mean stay inside but having map design more complex.

Prey is one of the most intelligent game of modern era. infinite scream I am intelligent while Prey is intelligent.

Loading Video...

Just like System shock 2 and Bioshock. It also have Twist at the end and its more unique twist where everything is simulated and you are not even the main character.

Why making Bioshock feel like walking in straight line? why not took inspiration from games that doing better?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever: Prey fails at this as well unfortunately.

System Shock 2 uses tight angular corridors to block the player line of sight, combined with a deliberately slower, heavier pacing. Enemies are heard rather than seen creating a sense of dredd.

Prey by comparison has larger expansive areas akin to Bioshock: Infinite. It may not be outside, but structurally it is similar.

Combined with comparatively poor enemies, namely the tar monster from TNG and black headcrabs, and poor world building, it's partly why it ain't no SS2.

WorthAbuy faps to any shit he considered "like mah old PC games" or "Hardcore" and rambling nonsense about consoles, it's his gimmick.

He legit thinks "keeping it real" equates to "cynicism and emotional appeals".

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

@ghosts4ever: Prey fails at this as well unfortunately.

System Shock 2 uses tight angular corridors to block the player line of sight, combined with a deliberately slower, heavier pacing. Enemies are heard rather than seen creating a sense of dredd.

Prey by comparison has larger expansive areas akin to Bioshock: Infinite. It may not be outside, but structurally it is similar.

Aside from comparatively poor enemies, namely the tar monster from TNG and black headcrabs, and poor world building, it's partly why it fails as a SS2 successor.

Prey doesnot failed at anything. It even have better gunplay than system shock 2. since its also more action based but at a same time being immersive sim too. a proper immersive sim.

Its called evolution it doesnot need to be copy paste of SS2. large areas work perfectly fine.

Its by far best successor of System shock 2. It did what Bioshock in 2007 tried to do and failed.

Bioshock doesnot even had inventory system.

Prey also have Deus Ex DNA as you can check and hack any computers.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

My friend, just play Bioshock 2, it's dope.

Drill people.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup: Bioshock 2 is not even a little finger of Prey my freind.

Prey doesnot have iconic villains like Shodan and Andrew ryan but it does its own thing.

Another game i wish capture system shock spirit is Atomic heart. It looks dope. Russian shooters are always full of win.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:

1. BioShock Infinite

2. BioShock

3. BioShock 2

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite

Underrated? it has 94 on meta, get universal praise all from mainstream critics. the praise that Doom Eternal should have gotten lately.

Infinite has garbage tier shooting and ai mechanics. Terrible gameplay.

Eternal is about 500X better.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

@ghosts4ever: I didn't mean critics, but fans. Infinite was overrated by critics upon release, but has since been underrated by fans ever since. It's getting trashed even in this thread.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are to close to call as they're both amazing.

Infinite is complete garbage, the only positive is the girl Liz, the rest from the story to the dead feeling world and NPCs and gameplay are horrible compared to the first two.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro  Online

I don't get the hate for Bioshock Infinite. Anyone care to explain?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58540 Posts

Honestly I liked Infinite mostly because it dropped the whole pretense of being more than what it was, and was just a solid shooter.

The first two games were not groundbreaking in any way imo and did a disservice to the "Shock" name and I think any praise they get is underserved.

The series as a whole is overhyped and overblown but at least Infinite didn't pretend to be the second coming of Christ like the first two games did.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro  Online

@mrbojangles25: I thought Infinite was fun to play and the story was interesting throughout the entire experience. More so than the previous 2. That is not saying, the others didn't excel in different areas.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Bioshock was amazing for its time. The sequel wasn't made by the same team, but was intriguing to play and see the life as a Big Daddy. Infinite was also interesting. I actually liked Infinite as much as I did the first Bioshock.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6970 Posts

The one they never made.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22417 Posts

All are fantastic, but the first game is special.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34795 Posts

I liked the first one, but never completed it. It became boring to me after a while. Also, the hacking was terrible and you had to do it a lot. Probably a big reason why the game became boring.

I liked BioShock 2 more. Not as cool story, but it was a more fun game. That one I did complete.

BioShock Infinite was just fucking terrible.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

I liked the first one, but never completed it. It became boring to me after a while. Also, the hacking was terrible and you had to do it a lot. Probably a big reason why the game became boring.

I liked BioShock 2 more. Not as cool story, but it was a more fun game. That one I did complete.

BioShock Infinite was just fucking terrible.

Hacking is so bad that I used hacking tools everytime.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34795 Posts
@Pedro said:

Personally, I found the story terrible and the setting much worse than the first two games. It was like they felt they had to do something else than Rapture, just for the sake of doing something else. And basically doing Rapture again, but in the sky, felt cheap.

I found the gameplay bad. It's pretty bad in all the BioShock games, but in the first two you were closer to the enemies and it didn't matter as much. The more open spaces of Infinite highlighted this bad gunplay for me.

The enemy designs are extremely boring compared to the first games. Found the level design boring as well. Looks good, but was it fun? No. Only being able to carry two weapons this time didn't make it more fun either. Just made it feel more generic. Also liked the horror aspects in the first two. Infinite wasn't scary at all.

Very dissapointing game to me after playing the first two games.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@Pedro said:

Personally, I found the story terrible and the setting much worse than the first two games. It was like they felt they had to do something else than Rapture, just for the sake of doing something else. And basically doing Rapture again, but in the sky, felt cheap.

I found the gameplay bad. It's pretty bad in all the BioShock games, but in the first two you were closer to the enemies and it didn't matter as much. The more open spaces of Infinite highlighted this bad gunplay for me.

The enemy designs are extremely boring compared to the first games. Found the level design boring as well. Looks good, but was it fun? No. Only being able to carry two weapons this time didn't make it more fun either. Just made it feel more generic.

Very dissapointing game to me after playing the first two games.

Have you played System Shock 2 my friend?

I played that after I played Bioshock and end up liking SS2 so much that it become one of my fav game of all time.