What's wrong with Knack as a launch title?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I think Knack is a brilliant idea. We haven't really had a platformer/action type game in a while. It's not like the industry is over-saturated with platformers like it was during the PS2 era. Crash, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper -- so why not Knack?

#2 Posted by superclocked (5676 posts) -

It looks like a fun game to me. I'm hoping that it'll be the Kameo of this console generation...

#3 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

I don't have a problem with Knack, afterall Kameo was a really good 360 launch game. I just don't think its a game that makes me want to run out and get a PS4

#4 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3646 posts) -

There is nothing wrong with Knack on its own but if you take Knack and put it side by side with The Puppeteer, you would see why it looks unremarkable, funny cause they were made by the same Studio Japan

#5 Posted by edidili (3421 posts) -

@mrintro said:

We haven't really had a platformer/action type game in a while. It's not like the industry is over-saturated with platformers like it was during the PS2 era.

Plenty of great platformers on Nintendo consoles. Knack is not even a platformer. Just a brawler with cute art.

#6 Posted by YD_11 (1523 posts) -

Nothing really. Just not too appealing of a game to me. I'm sure it will be fun for some

#7 Posted by Chutebox (35688 posts) -

Everything about Knack just looks dated

#8 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

It looks like a relic from the PS1

#9 Edited by OhSnapitz (17618 posts) -

It looks like a fun.... bargain bin game. Not something worth spending $60 on..

#10 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -
@edidili said:

@mrintro said:

We haven't really had a platformer/action type game in a while. It's not like the industry is over-saturated with platformers like it was during the PS2 era.

Plenty of great platformers on Nintendo consoles. Knack is not even a platformer. Just a brawler with cute art.

Even the developer calls it a platformer/action game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG98LuaYj_g

#11 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

It will suck balls, that's what's wrong, even the official Sony Fanboy magazine hated it.

#12 Edited by NFJSupreme (4544 posts) -

same thing that is wrong with ryse. it looks like it sucks. But at least ryse looks pretty i guess.

#13 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -

@mrintro said:

Nothing if you are ten or younger.

#14 Posted by JohnF111 (13921 posts) -

@mrintro said:

Nothing if you are ten or under.

What's wrong with a game targeting a young audience? Seems every game now has a minimum age limit of 15 or it's not worth s**t. :roll:

#15 Posted by Suppaman100 (2882 posts) -

@JohnF111 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

What's wrong with a game targeting a young audience? Seems every game now has a minimum age limit of 15 or it's not worth s**t. :roll:

This, their should be more games like Knack. Doesn't always have to be a game with a marine and a machine gun.

#16 Edited by Gue1 (8090 posts) -

when I see demos or trailers of Knack all I see is are long cinematics and gameplay that consist on going through a corridor mashing the attack button. They haven't shown any precise platforming like Crash or exploration like Spyro. Knack looks like a dumb, linear, pointless and cinematic brawler for toddlers.

Recent Mario games are easy but they are not this stupidly lazy.

#17 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4235 posts) -

I am anticipating Knack, but on my list of anticipated next gen titles its really close to the bottom.

I think it could be really good, but I'm worried that it will be a bit too much like crash. Which I can't play anymore because of the boring structure and linearity.

#18 Edited by Suppaman100 (2882 posts) -

I am anticipating Knack, but on my list of anticipated next gen titles its really close to the bottom.

I think it could be really good, but I'm worried that it will be a bit too much like crash. Which I can't play anymore because of the boring structure and linearity.

What? Crash bandicoot 3 is still incredibly fun to play.

#19 Posted by m_machine024 (14704 posts) -

More like what's wrong with Knack as a game. Boring combat and lame level design. That's what.

#20 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -

@JohnF111 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

Who said there was anything wrong with targeting a younger audience?

#21 Posted by donalbane (15849 posts) -

I don't really have a problem with it, but if you ask why I think its a poor launh title, I think it's because the game looks candy ass, and mostly hardcore people by new consoles on launch day.

#22 Edited by lamprey263 (21022 posts) -

looks yawn inducing and boring, there's not enough pot in the world that would make playing it fun

#23 Edited by RogueStatus28 (468 posts) -

The level design looks bland and the gameplay seems very generic. People defend Knack because the guy who made Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon is making it, however Knack won't have the quality/ appeal those games had.

Sony's trying to make this game like those classics, and Knack ultimately suffers from this approach. These is such thing as being old school while bringing in new elements, look at Super Mario 3D World.

#24 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (750 posts) -

problem is it looks like a $9.89 game instead a 60 $ one

#25 Posted by 2mrw (4950 posts) -

I admit the game doesn't look so hot but it reminds me of crash and Mark Cerney is the man behind it so definitely will keep an eye on it .... it this game is anything like Crash was, then we have a winner.

#26 Edited by the330and419 (216 posts) -

(Opens up ps4, sets up ps4, calls buddies, orders pizza, friends arrive, opens beer, shows off ps4, passes around dualshock 4, friends impressed, turns on ps4, inserts Knack, friends laugh, friends leave) thats why it sucks.

#27 Posted by 2mrw (4950 posts) -

(Opens up ps4, sets up ps4, calls buddies, orders pizza, friends arrive, opens beer, shows off ps4, passes around dualshock 4, friends impressed, turns on ps4, inserts Knack, friends laugh, friends leave) thats why it sucks.

Boot KZ:SF, friends get back, they get blown away .. they all get PS4 .... fixed :D

#28 Edited by RogueStatus28 (468 posts) -

@2mrw said:

@the330and419 said:

Boot KZ:SF, friends get back, they get blown away .. they all get PS4 .... fixed :D

What will impress them about Killzone they haven't seen in any other FPS already? The extra sparks?

#29 Edited by campzor (34932 posts) -

No idea,

Sheep hype kids games like mario, so dont know why knack gets hate.

#30 Edited by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

It's not really got anything to do with it being a platformer, the problem is it literally looks like shit. I see next to nothing appealing about it.

#31 Posted by NoodleFighter (6912 posts) -

The irony is it's being made by the lead architecture of the PS4 yet it doesn't look like it

#32 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Nothing wrong with kids games like Kingdom hearts, Spyro and Kameo but Knack lacks a soul

#33 Posted by PAL360 (26312 posts) -

The graphics are ok but it doesnt look fun and challenging.

#34 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Nothing really.

I'm looking forward to playing it once I eventually get a PS4. It seems fun.

#35 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

That would be your fault for putting the single player game first lol

#36 Edited by Scipio8 (463 posts) -

Knack is cack, deal with it.

#37 Posted by JohnF111 (13921 posts) -

@JohnF111 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@mrintro said:

Who said there was anything wrong with targeting a younger audience?

You did, it's like saying "What's wrong with body glitter?

Nothing if you're a hooker."

Same effect.

#38 Edited by sukraj (20600 posts) -

There is nothing wrong with Knack it looks like a good game.

#39 Posted by MonsieurX (27046 posts) -

When the official playstation gives it a bad note...

#40 Edited by Puckhog04 (22568 posts) -

If it were on Wii U it would be getting ridiculed for being "kiddy". Love those double standards.

That's what's wrong with Knack. Even mentioning it as a hyped game negates any of your childish comments towards the Wii U. Anyone remember that launch? How it was ridiculed for having no games? And now the PS4 and Xbox 1 are in the same boat...welcome to Console launches, kiddos.

#41 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8279 posts) -

Based on all footage and info about the game, Knack is no platformer. It appears to be a dumbed down God of War which, in turn, is a dumbed down hack n slash.

I'll be picking up a PS4 some time down the line and I really wish Knack was a solid 3D platformer effort for the console. The genre has been lacking in quantity for some time now.

#42 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

If it were on Wii U it would be getting ridiculed for being "kiddy". Love those double standards.

That's what's wrong with Knack. Even mentioning it as a hyped game negates any of your childish comments towards the Wii U. Anyone remember that launch? How it was ridiculed for having no games? And now the PS4 and Xbox 1 are in the same boat...welcome to Console launches, kiddos.

The XBox One has an amazing launch lineup if you compare it to a majority of console launches

#43 Posted by always_explicit (2134 posts) -

@mrintro said:

I think Knack is a brilliant idea. We haven't really had a platformer/action type game in a while. It's not like the industry is over-saturated with platformers like it was during the PS2 era. Crash, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper -- so why not Knack?

I think the difference is those platformers you mentioned were extremely charming, although admittedly I dont like the PS4 so it might seem biased. I do genuinely think Knack lacks the same charm and charisma of the games you listed. I agree its genre that gets somewhat ignored by playstation and Xbox alike, I just think a traditional platformer with a likeable character is actually pretty easy to create. Cerny has failed creating a character I want to play as.

#44 Edited by sukraj (20600 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

Knack is cack, deal with it.

meh chana saga ok.