What's the best Metal Gear game?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

Poll What's the best Metal Gear game? (107 votes)

Metal Gear Solid 30%
Metal Gear Solid 2 15%
Metal Gear Solid 3 46%
Metal Gear Solid 4 12%
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker 7%
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes 3%
Metal Gear (MSX) 1%
Metal Gear 2 (MSX) 2%
Metal Gear Rising: Revengance 7%
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops 1%

(only including canon games, sorry Acid fans--all two of you :^))

MGS5: The Phantom Pain is already confirmed GOTY 2015 and best game in our lifetimes. But what's the best released Metal Gear game?

The correct answer is MGS2. Best gameplay, best story, best characters, best Raiden.

• 
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#101  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@SolidTy said:

@elkoldo said:

People who don't vote for Sons of Liberty are probably too young to have played this game in its time to see the revolution it created in video games.

In my opinion Sons of Liberty along with Oblivion, Bioshock and The Last of Us are the most glorious moments of video games.

Too bad MGS5 will almost certainly fail.

I loved MGS2 Sons of Liberty. It was an amazing masterpiece. It was RIDICULOUS what that game was doing on PS2 hardware back in Nov 2001. That was a great year. We got a lot of fantastic games that year like GTA3, FFX, and MGS2 and the release of the GC and Xbox as well.

I had MGS2 reserved and waited in a long line to get my copy. Hell, I bought Zone of the Enders just for the included MGS2 demo six months prior.

I really like Matthewmatosis's review of MGS2. MGS2's lasting legacy isn't really its excellence in technology, graphics, or gameplay: it's how it messed with players. It's almost presumptuous to call the game prophetic,but MGS2 has such a forward-thinking narrative that was way ahead of its time and only really resonates today. Like Matthewmatosis says near the end of the review, Kojima could have easily followed up MGS1 with another game featuring Solid Snake infiltrating a base and taking out terrorists--and for any other developer, that would have been the logical choice for such a massively-anticipated game. But what sets Kojima apart from the rest of the industry is his willingness to take risks and innovate. That entire revelation with "Colonel" and the Patriots was mindblowing stuff, and it ranks as one of my absolute favorite video game moments of all time.

That's why I like MGS2 a lot more than the other games. MGS1 and 3 are amazing, and 4 is good at delivering fanservice, but they play it a lot safer. MGS2 is just such an interesting, brilliant game.

I love his videos! Always a joy to watch, if I ever were to start a Youtube channel, it would be modeled after his videos (and Superbunnyhop to an extent) but no the point. I loved MGS2, I feel like it perfected the game play style of MGS 1 to its peak. I really enjoy the narrative and it leaves me thinking at times about it. I think 3 is the better game though and the overall package is much more concise.

To me three not only had the best game play, but even a better story and characters with dialogue that flowed really well. Not to take away from MGS 2 at all, again the game was brilliant with its design and take on sequels in general. But I personally enjoyed the themes and personal triumphs and falls more. I'm also a sucker for Cold War conspiracy stories. They both excel at what they do and say they are two of the finest games in the industry. My full list would go

1. Metal Gear Solid 3
  2. Metal Gear Solid 2
  3. Metal Gear Rising Revegance
  4. Metal Gear Solid 4
  5. Metal Gear Solid

I still need to play Peace Walker, MG 1 and 2, GZ and the upcoming PP (obviously). I own all except the last two and so far PW isn't impressing me too much and I feel its a step backwards from 4. GZ/PP I am expecting to place very high on the list once I play them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#102  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

snnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake eeeeaaaaaaattttttttteeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Tan taran ta raaaaaan TUUUUN

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

For me, it was MGS2. That game was mental. The final sequence is one of my most thought about game experiences ever.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#104 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17460 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Snake Eater, no fucking contest. Legit one of the best games of all time.

This........and only this.

MGS3 had so many memorable moments. MSG4......aside from Act 3.........was forgettable.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#105  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19682 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

@EZs said:

MGS1 was revolutionary. (playstation)

Sadly: No it wasn't.

It worth noting as well: Metal Gear Solid 2 is a mostly average video game title : with terrible writing.

This "legacy": a simple plot twist other games done and had done better.

MGS1 and MGS2 were both revolutionary.

MGS1 popularized stealth gameplay, set the basic template for how cinematic storytelling is presented in games, and introduced a basic cover mechanic to third-person action games.

MGS2 was a huge breakthrough in game physics and particle effects, it introduced a new kind of artificial intelligence where enemies work together in teams and even express fear, expanded the cover mechanic into a full cover-and-shoot system, and its storytelling was the first major example of postmodern art in gaming, deconstructing the conventions of gaming and action movies.

To boil their legacy down to a simple plot twist is ridiculous. Fight Club is still a great movie even if you could see the plot twist coming. Same goes for MGS1 and MGS2. Their plot twists are not what define them, but are part of a whole package.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#106 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

@undefined: mgs VR missions.think that was the name of it

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#107  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

The best!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59339 Posts
@Jag85 said:

The first games with full voice acting, sound effects and lengthy cut scenes

Aside from the games mentioned (Wing Commander, adventure games e.t.c....) No.

First and foremost that comes to mind is Command And Conquer: which had literally hours of cut-scenes and direct dialogue from characters giving to the player (radio style) prior to Metal Gear Solid. It was also more popular and more influential. And yes: Metal Gear Solid used animations just as games like Dragon Layer did prior. those radio called are animated. The fact many games used FMV's is largely irrelevant, Metal Gear Solids where also uninteractive.

@Jag85 said:

By doing so, MGS set the basic template for how cinematic storytelling is presented in AAA gaming to this day.

Gaming today (through story-telling) is primarily influenced by this game; which came out almost at the exact same time, making previous uninteractive cut scenes seem antiquated by extensive real time scripted story telling.

Almost on release: Metal Gear Solid had already been outclasses by another cinematic game (which was influenced by Command And Conquer).

MGS2 was a huge breakthrough in game physics and particle effects

Again false: pc games prior (for example) "Trespasser" featured extensive and far more impressive physics. Either you are indicating "innovation" which is false or "revolution" which, as far as I can see, points me once again to the Halflife series.

it introduced a new kind of artificial intelligence where enemies work together in teams and even express fear

Enemies surrendered in Rainbow 6; would retreat surrender (with the ability to be handcuffed) in Swat 3.

its storytelling was the first major example of postmodern art in gaming, deconstructing the conventions of gaming and action movies.

A false reality is what is commonly called a "trope". This trope is particularly heavily used in sci-fi be it; short metaphoric stories or longer allegories. As a star trek fan: this has seen dozens upon dozens of times. I'd highly recommend (for example) watching "The Inner Light" (TNG) or "The Visitor" (DS9) then come back and tell me Metal Gear solid 2 is "post modern art".

Other games used this as well: for example - System Shock 2, later replicating it in Bioshock; altering the System Shock 2's into a rather obviose and contrived attempt at being allegory "art".

In general I deeply disliked when barely competent versions of what tv/movies do significantly better becomes bloated beyond recognition by media and fanboys. Metal Gear Solid is absolutely one of those games.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#109 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

Cant pick one.