What old games are you currently playing?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#51 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

I picked up God of War 1 and 2 HD collection for PS3 today because I always wanted to know what the fuss was all about. I played the first one on PS3 all HD-ified and it looked awful and I seemed to just be clobbering people then moving a bit and clobbering more people.

So I tried again today. I now have a much bigger, much better TV than I had back then so it looks even worse now and I found myself clobbering people then moving a bit and clobbering more people. Again.

So yeah... my determined efforts to really get into GoW and find out what it's all about just aren't working out as planned. It only cost me 5 quid though for both games, so I can continue exploring its awfulness hoping something great happens, or just chuck it in the bin. Dunno yet tbh.

Had a similar experience. Was actually shocked by how much the God of War games sucked when I tried to get into them.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@blueinheaven said:

I picked up God of War 1 and 2 HD collection for PS3 today because I always wanted to know what the fuss was all about. I played the first one on PS3 all HD-ified and it looked awful and I seemed to just be clobbering people then moving a bit and clobbering more people.

So I tried again today. I now have a much bigger, much better TV than I had back then so it looks even worse now and I found myself clobbering people then moving a bit and clobbering more people. Again.

So yeah... my determined efforts to really get into GoW and find out what it's all about just aren't working out as planned. It only cost me 5 quid though for both games, so I can continue exploring its awfulness hoping something great happens, or just chuck it in the bin. Dunno yet tbh.

Had a similar experience. Was actually shocked by how much the God of War games sucked when I tried to get into them.

I think it's a case of 'you had to be there'. The games were made for PS2 so at that time they may have impressed someone by the fact they were actually trying to spin a tale while just beating everyone round the head. I don't know. The game mechanics are just terrible though, even by those old standards and expectations.

I think I'll just have to write it off as 'not for me' while never ever understanding how they became not just popular but iconic for the PS brand.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Counter Strike GO

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@blueinheaven: I think I'll just have to write it off as 'not for me' while never ever understanding how they became not just popular but iconic for the PS brand.

Yeah, and also I think there's some historical context too. The first Gears of War game was fairly impressive when it first came out, both from a technological standpoint and also in terms of gameplay; it really kicked off a certain style of gameplay that many games have since mimicked in one form or another.

Admittedly though, it probably doesn't age well! :P

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23721 Posts

Trying to push through Chrono Cross right now. JRPGs are such a drag to get going.

Aside from that some quick sprints through sections of Brutal Doom. Usually just 30 minute bursts of play though, I've already filled my Doom quota these past few months lol.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@blueinheaven said:
@GreySeal9 said:

I think it's a case of 'you had to be there'. The games were made for PS2 so at that time they may have impressed someone by the fact they were actually trying to spin a tale while just beating everyone round the head. I don't know. The game mechanics are just terrible though, even by those old standards and expectations.

I think I'll just have to write it off as 'not for me' while never ever understanding how they became not just popular but iconic for the PS brand.

To be fair, the first one is shit outside of having the best plot of the 3. The 2nd game plays a lot better, mechanically the same game, but the pacing is better and the game all around better plays to its gameplay strengths. Otherwise it's always been the more shallow big name in 3d beat-em ups.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@blueinheaven: The game was amazing when it first came out, the visuals were great, the scope of the game was huge, the boss battles were epic, the setting and story were original and great, but other then the visuals the games still hold up. I mean if you break it down to its bare minimal (like you did) yeah it sounds like it sucks, but then again so would other games in this genre like DMC, NG, etc. No idea why gamers anymore find it fun to pick out good games or franchises and just shit on them like it somehow makes them seem more important or intelligent (hey Im one of the few that sees game X sucks, I'm so smart hehe and everybody else is dumb), its getting really old and annoying.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GreySeal9

@vfighter said:

@blueinheaven: The game was amazing when it first came out, the visuals were great, the scope of the game was huge, the boss battles were epic, the setting and story were original and great, but other then the visuals the games still hold up. I mean if you break it down to its bare minimal (like you did) yeah it sounds like it sucks, but then again so would other games in this genre like DMC, NG, etc. No idea why gamers anymore find it fun to pick out good games or franchises and just shit on them like it somehow makes them seem more important or intelligent (hey Im one of the few that sees game X sucks, I'm so smart hehe and everybody else is dumb), its getting really old and annoying.

It's called an opinion. Personally, I went back and tried to get into the GOW games and I thought they were mind-numbing and boring. If that somehow annoys you, I'm sorry (not really).

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GreySeal9

@ConanTheStoner said:

Trying to push through Chrono Cross right now. JRPGs are such a drag to get going.

Aside from that some quick sprints through sections of Brutal Doom. Usually just 30 minute bursts of play though, I've already filled my Doom quota these past few months lol.

Yeah. JRPGs have questionable pacing (Suikoden III is so slooooow even if the basic story is interesting), but at least you don't have to level grind in Chrono Cross. And the game is fucking beautiful. It honestly looks better than most PS2/PS3 RPGs on a purely aesthetic level.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Crazy Taxi - Dreamcast

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34732 Posts
@22Toothpicks said:

Metroid Fusion. Can't believe I skipped this game during that gen.

Me neither, the **** dude? Game is awesome.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#62 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Grim Fandango.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

The warriors.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@Litchie said:
@22Toothpicks said:

Metroid Fusion. Can't believe I skipped this game during that gen.

Me neither, the **** dude? Game is awesome.

Yeah it hooked me immediately just as Super Metroid did back in the day.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Not much, got Pokemon y last week it's my first poke game . Just bought a gaming PC (hell froze over)next week I should have it and I really can't wait to play some old doom, eve online ,crusader Kings got mod, and try out stalker finally.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#66 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@blueinheaven said:

Its the quicktime events that ruined all the god of war games for me. Those quicktime button presses, some were way too hard and to have to completely repeat a boss battles. Also the main character is a complete mess, there is nothing at all to like about him and yet you are stuck playing as him.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#67 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Playing Morrowind seriously for the first time in about 9 years and trying out OpenMW, an open source engine reimplementation. Performance is great, loading times are non-existent and it's shockingly stable compared to the vanilla engine, or any other Bethesda game for that matter. I've only had one crash in over 80 hours. As for the game itself, wow. Totally lives up to nostalgia. 10/10 I don't think I can go back to my recent Skyrim playthrough after this. It's just so bland and clunky in comparison.

Avatar image for blazingpanzeriv
BlazingpanzerIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 BlazingpanzerIV
Member since 2016 • 53 Posts

Pok'emon Diamond. I should probably consider a 100% play through Sponge Bob Square Pants, Battle for Bikini Bottom soon, as it was my first Playstation 2 game and I've only completed the main story line once, which was back in 05 I think, maybe 04.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 860 Posts

Ultima 8, Titan Quest and NeverWinter Nights

David719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 David719
Member since 2007 • 2187 Posts

None at the moment, but I've been meaning finish up Silent Hill 4. I got near the end, but I then sort of forgot about it.

Also I was thinking of giving King's Field IV a try, anybody know if it's worth playing?

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

My wife has been on a Banjo Kazooie kick lately. I've never played it, but she swears by it. I still play a little UT and Quake 2 Team Fortress from time to time.