What is the most accessible Soulsborne-type game?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Title says it all. Looking for some recommendations of the soulsborne-subgenre of games that are not mind-numbing in their trial and error.

My experience so far:

• Dark Souls 2 and 3, too hard
  • Nioh. Seemed just as hard as Dark Souls, but I enjoyed it more.
  • The Surge 2. Much more approachable, but not as fun.
  • And way down at the bottom of the list is Star Wars: Fallen Order, which I suppose can be considered "souldborne-lite". Slightly challenging, forgiving, and (for me) quite fun.

I heard Sekiro is a bit more approachable than any of the other games (Fallen Order excluded) on the list, is that true?

Blah blah blah I'm not hardcore enough for soulsborne blah blah blah I'm a filthy casual. OK, that's out of the way.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Demons Souls - using magic early on to learn the timing and mechanics of the game.

Bloodborne - you will die early, but the gameplay is faster and if you level up and get the armor from the sewer area, the game becomes easier on the early levels to help level you up for later levels.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Darksiders III

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

have you tried dark souls 1? there are ways you can cheese the game if you're interested?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

All the accessible ones are so far behind "the real deal" that they're not even worth playing before being done with the games that began the genre.

And no, Sekiro is not easier than Souls. Its harder.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Play the first Dark Souls. I'm inclined to say it's easily the best in series. It's what started the craze after all.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:

Play the first Dark Souls. I'm inclined to say it's easily the best in series. It's what started the craze after all.

It began the mainstream craze, but the undergroud craze was already lit with demon's souls.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

It began the mainstream craze, but the undergroud craze was already lit with demon's souls.

world tendency would make demon's souls harder for new people to the genre. every time you die in human mode the world you are in gets harder. also the servers are offline:(

Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#9 Khazrak134
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

I played Demons Souls when it first came out. and when Dark Souls came out i wasn't interested in it whatsoever, based on my experience with Demons Souls, so in that way Demons Souls would not be my pick.

Bloodborne however... After i played Bloodborne, I was hooked, and i immediately went to play the Dark Souls series, and then got Sekiro on release. So Bloodborne gets my pick.

DS1, maybe an option, it's what lit the fire (pun not intended) to the whole series, so theres gotta be something to it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

I know, I was among the first people that played Demon's Souls when it got expanded to a worldwide release. I remember the first online system and the community from way back then. Those were some glorious times back then discovering the game with an active community.

I feel like Demon's Souls is among the more challenging, more hardcore entries FromSoft has done. I feel like Dark Souls is the perfect game to enter the series. I feel like it's more accessible and it's the game that popularized this dev. It has arguably the best world design too.

I feel like Dark Souls is perfect. If you love that game definitely check out Demon's Souls.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I didn't like original Dark Souls first time I played it. I got Lords of the Fallen because MS accidentally put it on Deals With Gold dirt cheap and acquired it before they fixed the mistake. It was very Dark Souls inspired but easier and more accessible, felt like Dark Souls on training wheels. Anyhow, great entry for the genre, I would later play through Dark Souls 2 before Dark Souls 3 released and found much greater appreciation for the genre. Liked other stuff like The Surge and Code Vein, Sekiro though, too hard, couldn't finish it.

As far as SW Jedi: Fallen Order goes, I felt it felt more Souls-like at start, got way too easy as game went on with difficulty spikes at bosses, but yeah, too easy for the genre, but it was fun. But I feel Lords of the Fallen might make a better entry level game into genre.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Sekiro is by far and away the hardest.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Star Wars Fallen Order comes to mind.

And honestly, Dark Souls. The game has a nice pace, not too hard and the level design is very genius. Personally DS3 is a lot easier than DS but you mentions the third game is hard. The slow combat in dark souls might be something you like.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

I'd say Dark Souls 3. It's like an easier Dark Souls 1. But if that was too hard for you.. I don't know. I haven't played The Surge (looks weird) or Lords of the Fallen (looks bad), or Code Vein (looks really bad).

Sekiro more approachable? I guess it's not as hard to figure out where to go in Sekiro, but it's a harder game than DS.

Have you played Hollow Knight? It's amazing and quite similar to DS. 2D metroidvania, though.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

I played DS1, 2, 3, The Surge 1, Sekiro and Code Vein.

Code Vein is the easiest entry on Souls like Genre (if you don't like 3D anime tiddies skip this). The game is balanced around AI partner. You can disable it anytime but the bosses are way too fast and too aggressive to do it solo. (I played this one solo on NG+ until map cause Mhw had update and forgot to continue it)

P. S. I. Didn't finish DS3 and Sekiro

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Title says it all. Looking for some recommendations of the soulsborne-subgenre of games that are not mind-numbing in their trial and error.

My experience so far:

• And way down at the bottom of the list is Star Wars: Fallen Order, which I suppose can be considered "souldborne-lite". Slightly challenging, forgiving, and (for me) quite fun.

I heard Sekiro is a bit more approachable than any of the other games (Fallen Order excluded) on the list, is that true?

Blah blah blah I'm not hardcore enough for soulsborne blah blah blah I'm a filthy casual. OK, that's out of the way.

Ah, I thought I was the only one... I recently bought dark souls 3 on special and I'm kinda wondering why people love it so much.

I mean sure, maybe after hours and hours of trial and error / watching youtube playthroughs I might "git gud" ... but at this point I'm kinda having to force myself to play it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Litchie: Lords of the Fallen was pretty good, I think I got to NG+ 3 before stopping. Its not technically amazing (it has its share of bugs and glitches) but I think its a good start for a new comer to this genre (its what got me hooked at least).

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Had mostly no problems with the Dark Souls games. Hell, the first one you play is the hardest, anway. But Sekiro kicks my ass constantly. I'm too slow for it. The parrying and shit. It's so much faster than what Bloodborne requires.

Anyway, I assume the easiest ones, are the ones with difficulty settings.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Litchie

@vfighter said:

@Litchie: Lords of the Fallen was pretty good, I think I got to NG+ 3 before stopping. Its not technically amazing (it has its share of bugs and glitches) but I think its a good start for a new comer to this genre (its what got me hooked at least).

Replaying a game that many times is pretty high praise. I fucking loved Dark Souls 3, but I stopped shortly after I started New Game+. Playing the game again with all your shit from before just wasn't that fun to me. I'd much rather do a new game from scratch and try a new build.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

Weren't they working on a Lords of The Fallen 2?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: They were but I think its all but been cancelled. If memory serves me right they also made The Surge which sold better and stopped work on LotF2 to work on the Surge 2. If I'm wrong somebody correct me.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Juub1990

@hardwenzen: Sekiro’s parrying system and how to kill bosses is sorta bullshit though.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@Juub1990 said:

@hardwenzen: Sekiro’s parrying system and how to kill bosses is sorta bullshit though.

And here i was thinking its the most unique thing about the game lol. To each their own i guess. I wouldn't want Sekiro in any other way.

This is why Fromsoft games excelle in my opinion. They may reuse the same winner formula, but each of their games have different/very different mechanics, that's why nobody memes about the series that all their games are the same (like ass creed, FC, CoD and so many more copy pasta examples).

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Litchie

@Juub1990 said:

I fail to see how, and have noticed that's the general opinion of those who haven't really understood its' gameplay.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25

Thank you for all the responses everyone. Looks like I am going to give Dark Souls 3 another go, see if I can get past whatever hurdle stopped me last time.

Any recommendations on class/character? Easy but fun?

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1239 Posts

I read somewhere that Nioh 2 is easier then the 1st.

Anyways.... if you're willing to use co-op, that should make any of them that have it a cake walk. EDIT - actually you don't even need to co-op, you can summon npcs in Souls 1 and 2. Probably the others aswell

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Curious how people feel about Absolver games, haven't tried one yet.

Tried Sinner on Game Pass then bought it later, like a Dark Souls but just bosses, damn it's challenging, each boss you beat limits your abilities so choosing which bosses to beat in which order will be a thing, honestly though I struggle on these bosses without that consideration.

I hear Remnant is fun but only if you play with other people, I hear playing solo is cause for complaint.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts

Code Vein

you get your own npc companion through the entire game that not only helps you in a the fight but also revives you

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25

@lamprey263 said:

Curious how people feel about Absolver games, haven't tried one yet.

Tried Sinner on Game Pass then bought it later, like a Dark Souls but just bosses, damn it's challenging, each boss you beat limits your abilities so choosing which bosses to beat in which order will be a thing, honestly though I struggle on these bosses without that consideration.

I hear Remnant is fun but only if you play with other people, I hear playing solo is cause for complaint.

yeah Absolver is something I've been wanting to try. Is that a soulsborne-like game too?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

They are all accessible. There is no getting around the fact that the game is hard and most people who adapt slowly are going to think its a trial n error fest. Make peace with that, settle down, and adapt to what the game is doing. These games have a consistent answer n response, and usually a very generous defensive system. In the case of Sekiro, the game is straight brain dead with its parry system.

Tho some of the posters here still can't work with a 30 frame counter.

@mrbojangles25 said:

yeah Absolver is something I've been wanting to try. Is that a soulsborne-like game too?

It's more a vehicle for PVP. Here is something a friend wrote on it

https://critpoints.net/2017/08/29/absolver-impressions/

It’s interesting, and manages to make single and multiplayer combat work fairly well in the same system by taking a lot of the lessons from dark souls and increasing the pace slightly. It’s just kinda simple because you don’t have access to that many attacks at any given time, and can’t switch stances very quickly.

There is no throw option however, but this is compensated by making the default block terrible compared to your timing-dependent defense options, which each have unique block zones versus attacks. Dunno whether this will bite them, but it does make defense unique compared to most fighting games.

Also, it’s aiming to be like MMO dark souls. Big server with tons of people on it, every person is individually instanced, you’re constantly getting connected and reconnected to different people every time you die, so you run into people all the time and can easily decide to team up or fight each other. By keeping instances small they can solve a lot of network issues, allowing them to have their fancy fighting system.

It’s gonna be unique, I think it’s a worthwhile experiment, but wouldn’t say it’s gonna be a big hit. Probably something on the level of For Honor

The basic mechanics are, press X to Attack, Y to Alternate attack, RB toggles lock-on, while locked on you can use the right stick to use your style’s unique defensive mechanic. B performs a universal dodge, and LT can be held to block.

I only tried 3 styles, Windfall, Forsaken, and Kahlt Method. These give you defensive options that are specific to each one, and generally superior to the default dodge and block, but at a price. The default dodge has a startup time, although it is invincible when active, and blocking slows your movement and stamina regeneration, and can be broken with enough attacks. The 3 styles grant unique defensive options that have instantaneous startup, but do not move you away from your opponent and require you to defend in a specific direction versus your opponent’s attacks. The Windfall style is a dodge with instantaneous startup, but it can only dodge left, right, weave, or hop, so you need to see or predict which way your enemy’s attacks are coming from in order to use it. A successful dodge will slow the enemy’s attack. The Forsaken style is a directional parry with two block zones, left and right.

You need to watch your opponent’s attacks and predict which direction they’ll come from. Because there’s only 2 directions, it’s a bit easier to keep track of where attacks are coming from than the windfall style, but the timing on parries is tighter. Attackers off to the left or right of you will always be parried in that direction, where the attacker you’re locked onto can attack into either block zone. Successfully parrying an attack will inflict a stun on your opponent, giving you a chance to counter attack. Kahlt Method’s unique ability is a super armor parry, which can be canceled into attacks, and restores health when used successfully, but does have a recovery time before you can normal block or dodge. It has a tighter timing window than Forsaken parries, but no block zones, which makes it a fairly even trade. It does not slow down the opponent in any way, so you need to armor through attacks and cancel the armor in order to get a leg up on your opponent. The health recovery from it is extremely small.

When attacking, there are 4 stances, left, right, backleft, and backright. You can tell which stance someone is in by which way they’re facing and which hand is forward. Each stance has a string of 3 attacks assigned to it, performed by pressing X, and an alternate attack assigned to Y. At a specific point in each attack, close to the ending, your character will flash yellow, and pressing attack at that point will cancel the attack into the next one, as well as make the next attack play faster. This is called a Perfect Attack. You can also check the timing of these with the arrow on the stamina bar. Once I got the timing down for this, it felt really smooth.

It has sort of the same snap to it as doing an extended attack chain with Nero in DMC4, where you get successively faster attacks after the first one and it keeps up the speed as long as you stay in rhythm. The timing is consistent enough across attacks that I found with a bit of practice I was able to intuit the timing fairly easily. I had a much harder time doing it by watching the stamina bar than the character themselves, because the timing is different per-animation and it’s easier to intuit the timing by looking at the animation itself. I don’t think the animations are particularly amazing for this game, but they’re serviceable and they keep the timing of the perfect attack consistently placed across them.

Blocking an attack or having your attack blocked will prevent the attack from being flow canceled in this way, giving the defender some measure of momentum, allowing them to dodge out, use their style’s defensive ability, or attack back if the attacker tries a faster attack. It doesn’t seem like attacks can combo, just overwhelm people with how fast they are.

You know how we ALL had that idea of making an MMO that is really just a normal game with fun gameplay, but there’s a ton of people in the same world at the same time? I’m pretty sure Absolver is trying to do that.

The game format is a lot like an MMO. There are areas you can run around in with mobs spawned offscreen. Other players can appear in the same areas as you, and you move between Altars that serve as checkpoints. There’s way too few players and the areas are way too small for it to be full MMO from my observation, so I’m pretty sure it’s instanced with people randomly getting shoved into the same instance as you, with that getting changed up when you die. Dying seems to put you in a new instance with all the enemies respawned. If you didn’t kill an enemy, it has the same health as you left it, except it regenerates that health extremely quickly. So if there’s an enemy right next to the altar you can wittle it down a little. Other players can co-op with you easily by simply requesting to team up if you’re close together and you accept or deny on the gesture menu.

When you die, you’ll respawn after 60 seconds, or any player can revive you. Friendly fire is on towards other players at all times, even if you’re allied with them, so teaming up on enemies can be a risk to your allies. You can see the outline of allies through walls. There’s Dark Souls style gestures. Fighting enemies grants you experience and once you gain enough you gain an ability point that can be invested into stats. The stats are Strength, Dexterity, Vitality, Endurance and Will. Strength and Dexterity both govern the damage output of various attacks. Vitality increases health. Endurance increases Stamina. Will increases the rate at which Shards are gained. As you fight enemies and players, if they have an attack you don’t, you’ll gain experience in that attack every time you block it from them, and this experience will get locked in when you kill them. So you can learn an attack from another player by blocking it a bunch of times, then killing them. If you die before then, then the experience is lost.

Attacks tend to be just barely reactable, so parrying or dodging in a specific direction can be tricky, it can require learning the moves of your opponent. There’s a dark souls style stamina meter and everything costs stamina, so the usual dark souls tradeoffs apply. Dodging and walking are the only ways to get distance from your opponent. You automatically lock onto anything you attack. You need to awkwardly hold RB and press a direction on the right stick to switch lock-on targets. RT + right stick direction can switch your stance. Blocking may give you momentum, but you take stamina damage on block, as well as chip damage. There are no blockzones for a regular block, and it activates instantly and has no timing requirement, so it’s your most reliable defensive option. However because you take stamina damage, and chip damage, and can be guard broken if you have no stamina left, blocking is also the most costly means of defense.

So blocking is easy and there’s no counter option to it, but it’s also terrible and you should do it as little as possible. Also, since I think you get shifted minus on block, but your attack isn’t directly punishable, as the attacker, you need to react to your opponent blocking and pick a defensive option, much like Tekken or Smash Bros. (Edit: you don’t get shifted minus, you can actually just keep spamming quick attacks on block, the system is fucked! The stated developer intent was that blocking should tire out the attacker faster than the blocker! OUCH! What a mistake!) Since you’re probably involved in doing your perfect attacks, you likely won’t react to opponents blocking. Because attacks are barely reactable, fighting human players is actually a fairly similar experience to fighting AI. It’s a bit like For Honor, except a bit faster, which makes all the difference in making the combat work, because you can’t nullify attacks purely on reaction unless you block, and you don’t want to block if you can help it.

Killing enemies heals you and builds up towards granting you a shard, which allows you to use special abilities, that can be learned or equipped. You start off with just heal, and gain a shockwave ability that stuns enemies within an area around you and a temporary sword that has its own moveset, but a limited durability. It seems you can only hold 1 shard at a time. The healing ability heals slowly, but the healing speeds up if you deal damage, so getting into combat will augment your ability to heal, but only if you’re successful at combat. So you can take the nice safe healing, or fight enemies and potentially open yourself up to getting hit.

Some attacks switch stances, can bind any attack to any position in a string, alternate attacks seem to be slower and more powerful in the default binds, but I’m not sure if they have to be that way or if there’s a special property of alternate attacks that normal strings don’t have. I think it’s possible to feint cancel attacks by switching stances, I saw an enemy do something that looked like that. Some attacks track left or track right, some attacks hit high or low, meaning windfall can jump or duck them. Some attacks have you duck while performing them or other hitbox business. Some attacks are guardbreaking, beating standard blocks outright, but I only saw this on alternate attacks, that are fairly slow. I think they’re accompanied by a red visual effect too.

There’s 4 stances on your character, each stance has a 3 move string and an alternate move. You can set anything you want to any of these 4 moves, similar to god hand, it’s smarter to set up strings of fast moves and a utility alternate move, however I’m pretty sure moves in a string don’t have any special advantage for being placed inside the string rather than the alternate and vice versa. Some moves will switch your stance, and you can switch your stance manually. The input for stance dance is kind of awkward though, being RT + right stick. Something like Nioh is slightly less awkward, allowing you to press RB then a face button to transition between stances, which is both a digital button press, so it’s more precise, as well as being faster since you don’t need to move your thumb off the face buttons.

So in a given stance, you only have 2 moves you can use at any given time. You have 4 stances, so you can use 8 moves at any given time, assuming you’re quick at the stance change input, which is holding RT then pressing a direction on the right stick. That means that realistically at any point in a fight, you can only choose between 2 attacks at a time: The next string attack for that stance or the stance’s alternate attack. And those 2 attacks you have immediate access to can shift, but it’s still only 2 attacks at a time. If this is true, then I can see that seriously dragging the game down.

The other thing is, it’s really hard to keep track of what move I’m currently using for my given stances and that might just be me being new at the game. It’s hard to remember what all 16 of my moves do, hard to remember which ones switch stances and to which stance they shift and given that you can customize these things, that’s even crazier. I can see that also dragging the game down, that there’s like, a couple hundred moves and everyone you run into will have 16 of these couple hundred moves randomly assigned. So you might run into the same problem as smash 4 custom moves, where you could run into an opponent with a few options set out of a ridiculous range of options and need to re-learn the matchup for each individual enemy you fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Juub1990: I found Darksiders 3 harder than all of the soulsborne games. So much so that I stopped playing it altogether.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Juub1990

@Gamerno6666: Really? There are difficulty levels. Did you try lowering the difficulty?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#33 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Lords of the Fallen might be a good one to try. definitely a shade easier than the From games but it has some really satisfying combat.

I found Sekiro way harder than any Souls game. its the only one I didn't finish since I started playing From Software games. it kicked my ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Juub1990: Even on the lowest difficulty I was getting my arse kicked so I didn’t to bother with the game anymore.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

None. They aren't supposed to be "accessible". They are punishing, require investment of trial and error and don't hold the player's hand at all (you will likely need a guide to get anywhere).

And that's why people like them.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jg4xchamp

@foxhound_fox said:

None. They aren't supposed to be "accessible".

I get that you air quoted, but these games are played by millions of people at this point they are plenty accessible. You either are patient enough to learn n respond to how the game works or you're going to have a lousy time.

Plenty of people beat these games without using a guide, like any other game its about understanding the language of the game. Both visual and literal.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox

@jg4xchamp said:

I get that you air quoted, but these games are played by millions of people at this point they are plenty accessible. You either are patient enough to learn n respond to how the game works or you're going to have a lousy time.

Plenty of people beat these games without using a guide, like any other game its about understanding the language of the game. Both visual and literal.

I take the term "accessible" as something that doesn't require much "learning" or "studying" to get. It's a "pickup and play" type of game. One that you can leave for 6 months, come back to and play like you did 6 months prior.

If Dark Souls is "accessible" then so is practically every game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp

@foxhound_fox said:

I take the term "accessible" as something that doesn't require much "learning" or "studying" to get. It's a "pickup and play" type of game. One that you can leave for 6 months, come back to and play like you did 6 months prior.

If Dark Souls is "accessible" then so is practically every game.

Practically every game is accessible, that term has always been used incorrectly in this medium. I could see the argument about the games in accessibility to folks with disabilities, but that's a medium wide issue with how we've never created more unique interfaces to put out to market.

Few things get on my nerves than when journo types use the word "impenetrable" like that word has no meaning.

The point is very few games are obtuse enough that I would think they need to be accessible. Dwarf Fortress would require a more accessible alternative, System SHock is often obtuse, straight up racing sims like I-Racing would fit the bill better. But Dark Souls is plenty simple and easy to understand, it's just hard out the gate.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Litchie

@mrbojangles25 said:

Thank you for all the responses everyone. Looks like I am going to give Dark Souls 3 another go, see if I can get past whatever hurdle stopped me last time.

Cool! Picking the Knight and using a shield and the first longsword that you keep upgrading whenever you can is basically easy mode. But fun.

Stay under 70 equipment load for mobility and keep leveling up the stats that help your weapon's damage and your health. Also put some towards stamina so you can attack many times in a row.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

My experience so far:

dragon's dogma is your answer, and it's also a high quality game, one of the best games i played to be honest. Don't choose easy mode tho, it's to easy, and hard mode is too hard.

lord of the ring war in the north might also be something you like, it's quite similar , and it's even easier, it also has a nice co op mode

kingdoms of amulur is a nice game, but even easier than lord of the rings, it has a lot of dialogue though, kinda like skyrim.

they are all last gen tho, but dragon's dogma has a bit of remaster, and all these games were quite good looking for last gen as well. They are very fun games.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Thread kind of makes me want to reboot Damon's Souls. I'd started another play through a few months back and was enjoying it a lot more than my first time, but then got distracted by newer stuff. Not to beat the remaster horse, but I do think Damon's Souls remastered with better framerate and less clunky controls would be a no-brainer for PS5 as an appetizer for a sequel

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox

@jg4xchamp said:

Practically every game is accessible, that term has always been used incorrectly in this medium. I could see the argument about the games in accessibility to folks with disabilities, but that's a medium wide issue with how we've never created more unique interfaces to put out to market.

Few things get on my nerves than when journo types use the word "impenetrable" like that word has no meaning.

The point is very few games are obtuse enough that I would think they need to be accessible. Dwarf Fortress would require a more accessible alternative, System SHock is often obtuse, straight up racing sims like I-Racing would fit the bill better. But Dark Souls is plenty simple and easy to understand, it's just hard out the gate.

Sure thing Captain Semantics!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#43 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Litchie said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Cool! Picking the Knight and using a shield and the first longsword that you keep upgrading whenever you can is basically easy mode. But fun.

Stay under 70 equipment load for mobility and keep leveling up the stats that help your weapon's damage and your health. Also put some towards stamina so you can attack many times in a row.

also don't be afraid to summon help for bosses. That alone will make the game much easier

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

If you want a preview of the SekiSoulsBorne format, my recommendation is to go with Hollow Knight. It is very difficult after the early game but you can get a beat on its aim far more quickly than any of the FromSoft titles.