What is Sony's best series?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll What is Sony's best series? (73 votes)

Gran Turismo 14%
Uncharted 25%
God of War 22%
inFamous 4%
Killzone 0%
Ratchet and Clank 11%
Jak and Daxter 5%
Sly Cooper 1%
LittleBigPlanet 1%
Resistance 1%
WipEout 4%
Syphon Filter 1%
Other (Please Specify) 10%

Over the last 20 years, Sony has managed to build a pretty respectable catalog of some damn good franchises on the PlayStation. Sony covers a whole range of gaming styles, and chances are, no matter what kind of games you like, Sony probably has you covered.

But which of their numerous franchises do you think is the absolute best? And why?

As for me, I had to think about it, but in the end, I had to go with:

That's right, God of War. I did have to think about this one a bit, since Uncharted had Uncharted 2, but to counter that, God of War has had some of my favorite games of all time- the original God of War game, which I felt was a complete revelation, God of War II, which might be the best game Sony has ever made, Chains of Olympus, which was a staggering achievement on handhelds; while I was disappointed with the series as it moved into the PS3 era (God of War III was slow, boring, and underwhelming, even if it was in the end a well made game, Ghost of Sparta was the first game in the series I could not bring myself to finish, and Ascension was just a disaster on all fronts), God of War still remains my favorite Sony franchise, and still the one I can conceivably get most excited about.

I can't wait to see what Santa Monica does with it on PS4.

• 
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#51 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@AzatiS said:

I dont even own a PS4 yet , you think i care about The Order ? Hahaha , nice try but this fanboystic "jab" wont work with me ... Im not like you

What am I exactly? Someone with great taste? I agree.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I really hope Naughty Dog works on a new Jak and Daxter for PS4 after they finish Uncharted 4

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#53  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Twisted Metal!

I'm calling shenanigans with this poll @char. Shame on you for leaving out Greatness. :P

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

WipeOut... and they put a pillow on top of that one lool

fucking stupid company.

God of War had one great entry, thats it.

Not really. One way or the other you can argue for three great entries, of which one is truly excellent.

I feel like the first game is the only one that really needed to exist. Story-wise and gameplay-wise GoW2 and GoW3 were completely irrelevant. They feel so tacked on.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@remiks00 said:

Twisted Metal!

Sexy choice, amigo!

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#56 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@remiks00 said:

Twisted Metal!

Sexy choice, amigo!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@remiks00 said:

Twisted Metal!

I'm calling shenanigans with this poll @char. Shame on you for leaving out Greatness. :P

I had forgotten it existed! In my defense, so did Sony *runs*

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Sony has made a lot of good/great one off games but the franchises have been weak when judged as a series.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

Probably Uncharted.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Twisted Metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I really don't understand how I forgot Twisted Metal...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
@AzatiS said:

Truth hurts ? Your opinion you mean is amusing ! You must be new into gaming , i cant explain it otherwise.

What does being new have to do with any of this?

I've been gaming since the 90s, and honestly speaking I don't like any of those franchises. Like I can accept that Sony's published some really good games in Uncharted 2, Last of Us, Demon's Souls, Dark Cloud 2, and on some level I can respect what Gran Turismo was. But entire franchises man those franchises have some straight up stinkers or they were way the **** outclassed by better games in there genre. For instance God of War 2 is pretty good, but I wouldn't even humor the notion that it held its own against better beat em up games of that era, much less the shit Platinum started doing once they hit the ground running.

Like purely series, Dark Cloud is the only Sony published series that I can say really I have any affinity for. The other shit? Right now I'm waiting for all of them to get more than one good game to their name. In Sucker Punch's case, they could make a good game for the first time and that would be neato.

In theory the Team Ico games are a series, but that's pushing it at this point.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

The Order. Best series Sony ever created.

I'm mainly saying this because I can't vote for Twisted Metal.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@AzatiS said:

I dont even own a PS4 yet , you think i care about The Order ? Hahaha , nice try but this fanboystic "jab" wont work with me ... Im not like you

What am I exactly? Someone with great taste? I agree.

I don't agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

If team ICO's games counts as a series then I pick those games. But from the poll I chose God of War.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Though Unfarted is a my second choice.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Pikminmaniac

Uncharted is winning?....

So... If somebody could explain to me the appeal of Uncharted, that would be cool. It's still the biggest gaming mystery to me. I know it's opinion and all, but I can usually get in the shoes of others and see why they like a game I don't. I've just never been able to understand this one and nobody's actually made an attempt to really explain its quality.

I know people are probably annoyed by me saying this all the time, but I keep doing it in hopes somebody will actually discuss it with me instead of just writing me off.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44129 Posts

GT was, not sure if it will continue, we'll see with GT7 I suppose.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#69  Edited By Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Honestly, based purely on fun-factor, inFamous.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Is the TC serious ?

Crash Bandicoot.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#71 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

For me it's a tie between Jak & Daxter and God of War.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

So... If somebody could explain to me the appeal of Uncharted, that would be cool. It's still the biggest gaming mystery to me. I know it's opinion and all, but I can usually get in the shoes of others and see why they like a game I don't. I've just never been able to understand this one and nobody's actually made an attempt to really explain its quality.

I know people are probably annoyed by me saying this all the time, but I keep doing it in hopes somebody will actually discuss it with me instead of just writing me off.

I enjoy Uncharted. It's not the greatest franchise in gaming by any means, but I enjoy the Indiana Jones narrative, the gorgeous set pieces, etc. The games don't offer much replayability, but I have fun with them on the first play through.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Not uncharted

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Pikminmaniac
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I enjoy Uncharted. It's not the greatest franchise in gaming by any means, but I enjoy the Indiana Jones narrative, the gorgeous set pieces, etc. The games don't offer much replayability, but I have fun with them on the first play through.

I see. The best argument I've ever heard somebody make for Uncharted is the verticality in its gameplay. When the person mentioned that, I had to agree. What other TPS allows you to get to higher vantage points. I usually hit on a lot of bad choices in terms of the games combat, but this I had to concede. Uncharted does have something that makes it unique in its gameplay.

I also must add that the direction shown in the U4 gameplay demo looks like a substantial improvement in terms of combat scenarios and flexibility. Especially when I consider the verticality mentioned above.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 PurpleMan5000

@Pikminmaniac said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

fucking stupid company.

Not really. One way or the other you can argue for three great entries, of which one is truly excellent.

I feel like the first game is the only one that really needed to exist. Story-wise and gameplay-wise GoW2 and GoW3 were completely irrelevant. They feel so tacked on.

Yeah, GoW2 and GoW3 felt basically identical to GoW. I don't get the people who say GoW2 is the best and GoW3 sucked. They are all the same game. It's a good game, but it's stale at this point.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@scottpsfan14: When you compare it to other hack n slashes, yeah God of War is pretty weak in general. You get a lot less for your buck with that series.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PurpleMan5000

@Pikminmaniac said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I see. The best argument I've ever heard somebody make for Uncharted is the verticality in its gameplay. When the person mentioned that, I had to agree. What other TPS allows you to get to higher vantage points. I usually hit on a lot of bad choices in terms of the games combat, but this I had to concede. Uncharted does have something that makes it unique in its gameplay.

I also must add that the direction shown in the U4 gameplay demo looks like a substantial improvement in terms of combat scenarios and flexibility. Especially when I consider the verticality mentioned above.

Yeah, the verticality goes hand in hand with the set pieces. Shoot outs on crumbling rooftops, trains hanging off of cliffs, and other precarious locations are fun. At least to me they are. The actual meat of the game itself is sub-par, but as a single player action game, it works. I wasn't expecting to vote for Uncharted going in, but after viewing the other options, I felt it was the best on the list. It makes me feel like Sony's first party gets way more credit than they deserve.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PurpleMan5000

@scottpsfan14 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

fucking stupid company.

Yeah, GoW2 and GoW3 felt basically identical to GoW. I don't get the people who say GoW2 is the best and GoW3 sucked. They are all the same game. It's a good game, but it's stale at this point.

Personally I think GoW is bird shit. Never got the appeal and seems like poor mans hack and slash.

It's a below average game in gaming's best genre. I'd still call it a good game overall.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

Original I would have said Ratchet, but the last few games have shattered me. It's also a pain that Sony doesn't own a lot of the great franchises associated with the brand over the years. I know they started being aggressive recently, which explains the whole Insomniac Sunset deal, but then they are also removing Ips like Socom and Wipeout.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#82 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Sony made some good games but when these games became a series, the series aren't that good. So when you compare the series, they pretty much enough out for me.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 PurpleMan5000

@scottpsfan14 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

It's a below average game in gaming's best genre. I'd still call it a good game overall.

Nah, 3D platformers are better and it's not even close. I also like action adventures like Zelda, Uncharted, TLOU well better than fucking Hack n slash games lol. If you're talking deep combat mechanics, then yes, hns games do offer challenge, especially the advanced ones like Bayonetta and NG. And would you call Souls games a type of hns? They too offer objectively more fleshed out gameplay mechanics than most other genres. But I don't really care how deep gameplay can be. I consider everything that makes said game unique.

The Souls games aren't hns. I don't know why a fan of any particular genre would want to claim them, though. They just do everything poorly, imo. I don't like the leveling system or the loot system. The zombies on Left 4 Dead have better AI than the enemies I encountered in Demon's Souls. The melee combat is ok. I'm not a big fan of the stamina system or strafe-based combat, but it's better than most other RPGs. The ranged combat mechanics are really bad. The thing that really sets Souls games apart from hns, though, is that you just never do anything cool in a Souls game. You can't jump off of walls, you have no twitch-based moves to take on multiple enemies at once, no combos, etc. Dying is fun in a good hns game. You say "Holy crap, that was intense, and I can't wait to give it another try!" In a Souls game, it's more like "Holy crap, I just died and now I have to replay that whole boring level to get back to where I was. I can't believe I didn't notice that guy camping out around the corner."