what is microsoft's intention for pushing kinect?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

they say it's about the games but who as a gamer wants this stuff or isn't completely turned off by it?  Was just looking at nba 2k14 next gen footage and the game looks great but im seirously turned off from buying a new console.  I don't want to sell out either and accept something into my home over a videogame either.  Seems petty to me although i'm sure a lot of people will need their game and will do it.

Games were fine just getting better graphics with a regular controller. I have no use for kinect at all and would never use it.  The issue is they are going to force people to use it ultimately and you know they are.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

they say it's about the games but who as a gamer wants this stuff or isn't completely turned off by it?  Was just looking at nba 2k14 next gen footage and the game looks great but im seirously turned off from buying a new console.  I don't want to sell out either and accept something into my home over a videogame either.  Seems petty to me although i'm sure a lot of people will need their game and will do it.

Games were fine just getting better graphics with a regular controller. I have no use for kinect at all and would never use it.  The issue is they are going to force people to use it ultimately and you know they are.

Celtic_34
innovation /thread
Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts
Wii's pot of gold. ( Sorry Heil D: )
Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Celtic_34

how is it innovation though?

I'm really not ok with microsoft having a camera in my house and i think that's perfectly acceptable.  I'm not doing anything wrong either that i dont want them to see.  I just dont want that in my house.  I feel it gives these people way too much power in ways over what we can watch and do.  Always been a private person anyways.  I don't want people i dont know to know things about me.  There are cool people otu there but there are also really weird greedy idiots. That's my choice and my choice alone who i decide to share personal information with.

Sucks if i'd like to play some of these games though because you know they are forcing it on you for some unknown reason.  i dont want to play games flopping my arms around like an idiot.  i want just sit there relax with my controller and play a game and look at the pretty graphics.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts
In the hope a hot woman buys it and they can spy on them naked? :P Kinect doesn't really bother me, I think it's cool that it can read your heart rate. Voice command are useful but I don't know how much I'd use them.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Casual market and the fact that they want to make it part of the console not just an addon, for voice commands and gimmicky stuff that various games wouldn't bother either wise. 

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50559 Posts

It's just something different than the norm, which they hope people will want.  Funny thing is, I haven't heard much if any talk of Kinect in the games themselves, which MS was actually good at for 360.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I'm really not ok with microsoft having a camera in my house and i think that's perfectly acceptable.

Celtic_34

Then don't buy it.

Its not that hard.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Celtic_34

It's just something different than the norm, which they hope people will want.  Funny thing is, I haven't heard much if any talk of Kinect in the games themselves, which MS was actually good at for 360.

Chutebox

this is what i mean though.  i'm more skeptical than that.  It's not for games.  It doesn't seem like it.  I feel like its marketing and they are slowly breaking people in to accept something they dont want.  They give us the choice at first but then boom you have to use it.  then people are like ok.... because people are gullible and stupid.  then they have that market share to do what they want with it.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

kinect gets a ton of hate, i do think its innovation and I do think it will be well received. It might not be geared for core gamers, but overall its a nifty piece of tech and this kinect is alot more powerful than the original. Wait and see when it comes out. I believe indies will make use of Kinect more than any dev in regards to gaming. I expect some really unique stuff for games by indies, and I think the functionality of everything else will be sharp and precise. Pumped up about Kinect 2.0, im happy its included in every system. things such as upload commentary are going to be first and foremost on the XBO. Youtube will have some funny stuff going on with that dvr upload.

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

:| I'm guessing simply not buying a XB1 isn't an option for you.

I'm glad it has Kinect and I wouldn't change a thing about including it. It offers a fun alternative way to play games among other benefits -- it's not perfect but it will only get better with time. 

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Kinect is a device that i think in the not so distant future, we would see its application go far beyond the entertainment spectrum. The device is very robust and if you think of the fact Microsoft is investing in an AI system called ''cortana'', you can see that they are preparing for the digital heavy future where the console itself acts as a trojan into other markets that are not gaming related. In a way i can see how it works for them long term but on the short term, it is a hard sell as gamers are the envagelist market that can push it out for the casuals/skeptics to jump in on the bandwagon but so far even Microsoft have found it difficult to justify why it is important to gamers aside from Kinect Sport Rivals, nothing else really sells the system as a fun device to have but then again, Microsoft has been signing deals with Cable networks and what not so we never know.

In direct response to your question, the reason they are pushing Kinect is because of the mass market and potential non gaming markets

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Celtic_34

this is what i mean though.  i'm more skeptical than that.  It's not for games.  It doesn't seem like it.  I feel like its marketing and they are slowly breaking people in to accept something they dont want.  They give us the choice at first but then boom you have to use it.  then people are like ok.... because people are gullible and stupid.  then they have that market share to do what they want with it.

Maybe, but it's def used or pushed more for the UI than the games so far. I honestly don't know where they're going with it.
darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darkangel115

I'm really not ok with microsoft having a camera in my house and i think that's perfectly acceptable.  I'm not doing anything wrong either that i dont want them to see.  I just dont want that in my house.  I feel it gives these people way too much power in ways over what we can watch and do.  Always been a private person anyways.  I don't want people i dont know to know things about me.  There are cool people otu there but there are also really weird greedy idiots. That's my choice and my choice alone who i decide to share personal information with.

Sucks if i'd like to play some of these games though because you know they are forcing it on you for some unknown reason.  i dont want to play games flopping my arms around like an idiot.  i want just sit there relax with my controller and play a game and look at the pretty graphics.

Celtic_34
1) the innovation. No other device (wii, move etc) are completely hands free. as in no remote needed. Its amazing for workout games (X1 will have an interactive personal trainer. i mean with insanity, p90x etc all so popular now you have them plus a device that knows if you are actually doing it and doing it right and measures your hear rate and muscle usage. The fact it works in any light as well. plus added with the voice commands and IR blaster it becomes a universal remote for all your devices making them all voice controlled. in video games can be used as an extra input source and add to immersion. 2) You have a laptop with a webcam right? a cell phone with a camera that you always carry and has GPS and the government can activate it any time and know where you are and link it to your phone number and have your address, name, SS# etc. and pull up all your phone records. also you know you can just unplug it and not use it if you are that crazy
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox

I'm glad it has Kinect and I wouldn't change a thing about including it. It offers a fun alternative way to play games among other benefits -- it's not perfect but it will only get better with time. 

TecmoGirl
What games? Other than Sports Rivals, is it in any other games they've announced?
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Simple. They already invested millions into the tech so they wanna make sure it gets to as many people as possible, which is why it will be on PC as well. And making sure everyone has it on day one means devs will be more incline to use it.
But being Microsoft, the Kinect for XB1 will be more about voice control and the UI then games. It is probably a test market on the XB1 for something bigger later on....

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox

Simple. They already invested millions into the tech so they wanna make sure it gets to as many people as possible, which is why it will be on PC as well. And making sure everyone has it on day one means devs will be more incline to use it.
But being Microsoft, the Kinect for XB1 will be more about voice control and the UI then games. It is probably a test market on the XB1 for something bigger later on....

timbers_WSU
But are devs actually using it? I have heard of nothing in the upcoming games.
Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Celtic_34

[QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

darkangel115

1) the innovation. No other device (wii, move etc) are completely hands free. as in no remote needed. Its amazing for workout games (X1 will have an interactive personal trainer. i mean with insanity, p90x etc all so popular now you have them plus a device that knows if you are actually doing it and doing it right and measures your hear rate and muscle usage. The fact it works in any light as well. plus added with the voice commands and IR blaster it becomes a universal remote for all your devices making them all voice controlled. in video games can be used as an extra input source and add to immersion. 2) You have a laptop with a webcam right? a cell phone with a camera that you always carry and has GPS and the government can activate it any time and know where you are and link it to your phone number and have your address, name, SS# etc. and pull up all your phone records. also you know you can just unplug it and not use it if you are that crazy

i actually don't have a laptop with a webcam or a phone with gps or any of that.  flying under the radar.  i have a desktop pc and a cheapass phone because i dislike that stuff and havent sold out like so many other people.  plus my 360 and ps3.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Celtic_34

then you better get rid of your laptop and cellphone.  Oh, and stop using the internet

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

Chutebox

What games? Other than Sports Rivals, is it in any other games they've announced?

That fantasia game. 

Dancing games are a given for kinect at this point. The only thing it proved to work well for.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 timbers_WSU
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

Chutebox

Sports Rivals, the Disney game, one dance game, The Fitness crap which will probably sale, It is used in Crimson Dragon as alternative Control, and in the D3 game (Which is said to actually make good use of it.) So either they are smart and telling devs to only use it if it adds to the experience in a positive way or no one can think of any use for it.. Also since the system was announced a little late the bigger developers might not of had time to implement it is a meaningful way.
Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Celtic_34

[QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

lostrib

then you better get rid of your laptop and cellphone.  Oh, and stop using the internet

i have a cs degree and have used computers since i was 6 years old dude.  im smart enough to avoid that stuff.  id like to keep it that way.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

timbers_WSU

Sports Rivals, the Disney game, one dance game, The Fitness crap which will probably sale, It is used in Crimson Dragon as alternative Control, and in the D3 game (Which is said to actually make good use of it.) So either they are smart and telling devs to only use it if it adds to the experience in a positive way or no one can think of any use for it.. Also since the system was announced a little late the bigger developers might not of had time to implement it is a meaningful way.

Did they actually say how it would be used in D3?

Hopefully bolded is the case.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

timbers_WSU

why even try, kinect is going to very cool. i think d3 is going to be awesome

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

Celtic_34

i have a cs degree and have used computers since i was 6 years old dude.  im smart enough to avoid that stuff.  id like to keep it that way.

you're smart enough to prevent the NSA from hacking your computer? 

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 timbers_WSU

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] But are devs actually using it? I have heard of nothing in the upcoming games.XBOunity

why even try, kinect is going to very cool. i think d3 is going to be awesome

I know D3 is Kinect only but I haven't seen any gameplay of how it is used. D3 isn't the type of game I usually play but the trailer has me mildly curious. I do think Kinect Sports looks fantastic. I loved Waverace. It would be nice to get a decent alternative to those games since Nintendo obviously have no desire to bring Waverace back. But I am gueeing there will only be 2 or 3 tracks in the game so it will end up just being rental material.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Celtic_34

[QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

you're smart enough to prevent the NSA from hacking your computer? 

i'm smart enough to stay away from it as much as i can.  yes i probably am smart enough to do that.  have i done that no?  because im not that paranoid about it and have nothing to hide.  i actually used to work for the government and sat on panels for cybersecurity for the state i live in.  I just have my reasons for not putting information out there for anyone to see because that's just common sense.  There are a lot of idiots out there.  im just more oldschool in my beliefs and don't really need all that stuff and want to give information to people i dont need to.  I know how these companies can be.

I think there should be concerns about this stuff and people shouldn't just hadn their money to people without asking questions first.  People have agendas whether they realize it or not.  People will push this stuff for reasons that are just completely inexplicable just because they want microsoft to succeed.

There are a lot of cool people too but i think it should remain my choice who i share information with.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts
While I'm not huge fan of Kinect my kids are and they have fun playing all sorts of things on it. The reason they are making it mandatory is so it's not an add-on device so developers or more developers may feel compelled to utilize it since the whole X1 community will have it. Which kinda makes it a little more interesting and maybe there could be some good innovative things come out this time around for Kinect, but don't hold your breath
darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darkangel115

[QUOTE="darkangel115"][QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

Celtic_34

i actually don't have a laptop with a webcam or a phone with gps or any of that.  flying under the radar.  i have a desktop pc and a cheapass phone because i dislike that stuff and havent sold out like so many other people.  plus my 360 and ps3.

so guess your giving up your phone in a few years huh? http://www.geekosystem.com/fcc-gps-phones-2018/
darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darkangel115

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

Celtic_34

then you know you can still be traced via your IP from your internet provider
Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Celtic_34

[QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

darkangel115

this is what i mean about stupid people though.  har. har.... i can just shut it off.  like i might do to you in a mnute hehe.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
This thread should be shut off...
darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darkangel115

[QUOTE="darkangel115"][QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

Celtic_34

this is what i mean about stupid people though.  har. har.... i can just shut it off.  like i might do to you in a mnute hehe.

No you can't. now i know your lying. Please try to "shut off my IP address" ;)
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Recreate the Wii, Integrate Windows 8 into your living room, Create paywalls for all your services, spy on you. CONTROL

Any other answer is untrue or misguided

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

timbers_WSU

This, is worth $100 of equipment? LOL I think lemmings need to be removed from SW

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Wii's pot of gold. ( Sorry Heil D: )Xaero_Gravity

^This.

Nintendo made a fortunre getting people to jump and wave their arms around infront of a camera, even though the games bascially sucked. People thought it was innovative and different.

Microsoft sought to use the same gimmick to make money.

HerpDeeDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HerpDeeDerp
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts
dancing is fun and makes my heart happy
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#38 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

They're really putting Kinect in the wrong place IMO.

It's a really nice piece of Technology, but I think it belongs with the PC section and not gaming, though I can see some cool things happening in the gaming spectrum.

Can't cheat your way through dance games now. lol

HerpDeeDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HerpDeeDerp
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

I imagine they put a significant amount of money into developing it, and are either too ignorant or arrogant to see it's yet to prove itself as a worthwhile addition to a games console for most gamers, i believe they'll be getting a fairly major wakeup call this generation when they look at their sales numbers. The question is will they actually come to their senses like they did with alot of their other stupid decisions, or blindly continue on killing off their fanbase.