What is going on with Sony's first party this gen?

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It is taking their studios forever to develop games this gen despite Sony boasting about how much easier and quicker it would be to develop games for the PS4 compared to the PS3.

Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne are top shelf games and Ratchet & Clank is a great reimagining of a classic. But besides those 3 games Sony's exclusive offerings this gen have stunk. It needs to be said. 3 great games in 3 years with 1 of those being a reimagining is not good output.

Driveclub was so bad it killed a studio. The Order sucked. Infamous Second Son was more of a tech demo than a complete game. It was a step back from Infamous 2 in nearly every way. It was short, lacked any kind of worthwhile side content, the city was small and empty and the cast of characters was cringe. LBP3 was a failure and killed that franchise after the first 2 were multi million sellers and both very well received by critics and gamers alike. Killzone Shadow Fall was pure shit after KZ 2 and 3 were both really solid games. The campaign was coma inducingly boring and the multiplayer was basically DOA.

For upcoming exclusives I think there are 3 that look great - Horizon, God of War and Spiderman. I have little doubt they will all be giant critical and commercial successes.

The rest though just don't look promising at all. Lets start with GT Sport. GT used to be the flagship franchise for the PS brand. This game has NO hype whatsoever from anyone. People just don't give a shit. How did we go from over 1000 cars to 137? Why does it not have a real offline career mode? Is PD that fvcking stupid that they think the 10 million people who bought GT 1-5 did so because they wanted to only play competitive online races and nothing else? This game will be a nail in the coffin for the franchise.

Next up is Days Gone. Does anyone even remember this game at all? Did anyone remember it 5 minutes after it was shown at Sony's E3 conference TWICE? Sure doesn't seem like it. This game looks generic as fvck and is completely unnecessary when Sony already has their premier studio likely hard at work on a sequel to TLOU right now. Why couldn't Bend have made a new Syphon Filter instead? Or at least a unique new IP? This game will add nothing to Sony's catalog.

Finally The Last Guardian. The game that has been in development hell for almost a decade. The game scheduled to release next month yet they won't even show any gameplay to the public. Either its going to keep getting delayed forever or it will finally release and be one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history.

So where did it all go so wrong for Sony's studios? Last gen we got new IP like Demon's Souls, Uncharted, Motorstorm, Resistance, Littlebigplanet and Infamous early on that would all go on to be staples for the entire gen. We haven't got any new IPs this gen that will actually become permanent franchises 3 years in. Horizon looks to be the first one that will actually have a chance to do so.

Why do you think the number of quality titles produced by Sony is down so much this gen compared to the previous 3?

My two cents is Yoshida is the problem. He greenlights a lot of obvious bad ideas and is getting in the habit of shutting down studios every time a game doesn't do so hot (Evo, Zipper, Liverpool).. Sony worldwide studios was in a much better place under Phil Harrison.

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 AppleBeatsPC
Member since 2013 • 148 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: You can't rush art. Sony will deliver to us some amazing games, but we just need to be patient. Sony knows what is best for us, and if delaying a game by a few years means we get AAAA quality games, who am I to question them?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

I've noticed you going after Sony pretty hard lately and it's about damn time, they've been like this all gen man and you're just noticing and getting fed up with this shit?

Sony this gen has been on auto-pilot, they're doing amazingly well because Microsoft shot themselves in the foot. They haven't accomplished anything to warrant their position aside from the early failures of the Xbox One, and because of their success they've been getting away with this bullshit left and right, but it all has a limit, and I see you reaching that limit.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#4  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

About time some people started waking up to Sony's laziness. Good on you Nathan.

They have taken next to no effort this gen other than profit of MS's screw ups and ride the hype train that is still going for god knows why. They continue to have some of the most boring E3's in memory by showing nothing but a clip reel of trailers for games that are 2-3 years out and tell us nothing about the game itself.

For the third year running they have very little coming out the entire final quarter of the year which is the most important.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Video games are a form of artwork. A connection between the developer and the gamer. Giving a product to people that they want to use.

You can't rush art. You can't complain about art just buy what you like and move on bro.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

what a pathetic argument by the cows

Sony showed great first class on the PS1/2/3.. suddenly with the PS4 they had the most successful launch from any console, and the arrogance came back, and you guys just suck it off.

It's been an awful gen for Sony, they are winning just off the hype e3 2013 generated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#7 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

They spent the first part of the gen remastering old games that they just released on the PS3.

The reality is that the PS4 isn't going to see a massive exclusive push as long as Microsoft and Nintendo are so far behind. Or maybe development is taking so long that they'll all end up at the end of the console cycle.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Lmao

Fanboyism is a bitch.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Completely agree. **** GT. The series turned into total shit.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: You need to learn to count . You say only 3 games are worth , i see more than that.

Also you cant have 100 AAA games per 3 years , theres no console out there with that amount.

At least SONY tries to bring something new , even if it failed with games like ORDER or DRIVECLUB unlike other companies playing safe every gen.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

what a pathetic argument by the cows

Sony showed great first class on the PS1/2/3.. suddenly with the PS4 they had the most successful launch from any console, and the arrogance came back, and you guys just suck it off.

It's been an awful gen for Sony, they are winning just off the hype e3 2013 generated.

Sony haters were saying the same about Sony last gen, that they were lazy, overrated, etc etc. I think we can leave the gen speak for itself, in the end Sony would have the highest rated exclusives like last gen.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: You need to learn to count . You say only 3 games are worth , i see more than that.

Also you cant have 100 AAA games per 3 years , theres no console out there with that amount.

At least SONY tries to bring something new , even if it failed with games like ORDER or DRIVECLUB unlike other companies playing safe every gen.

Sure, because Nintendo played it really safe this gen.

@dakur said:

Sony haters were saying the same about Sony last gen, that they were lazy, overrated, etc etc. I think we can leave the gen speak for itself, in the end Sony would have the highest rated exclusives like last gen.

I don't think it did?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Planeforger said:
@AzatiS said:

Sure, because Nintendo played it really safe this gen.

Nintendo tries but tries with NOT AAA caliber production values in their mind. Sony on the other hand goes for these big AAA caliber games over and over again and out of some fails we get some great games that can really challenge the best games under their respective genres.

Some fine examples are games like God of war , Uncharted 2 , Shadow of collosus and more

I stated numerous times before Nintendo should focus also on more AAA caliber games like Zelda , main mario series etc. They really can because talent is there , the question is ..do they want to?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17452 Posts

Days Gone actually looked pretty good.

Hopefully it has RPG mechanics, that would be amazing.

I bet State of Decay goes in the same direction. (adding RPG elements)

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The Xbone offers no challenge, that's why Sony isn't even trying. Its really annoying if you ask me because this may repeat for the 9th gen.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Agree 100% TC about Yoshida.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Microsoft and Nintendo need to start challenging bloodborne, uncharted 4, mlb the show. These are all challenges the competition has yet to match either step or get out. (imo)

Closing 15 studios isn't how you beat sony and microsoft should know that by now. you need big blockbuster games since the NES days. This is turning into a slaughter.

You need a baseball game you need a rpg, you need a big story game this is all common sense in the console war. Who the hell is in charge at xbox even atari 2600 and gameboy had like 10 baseball games each what are you doing?

Everyone knows this stuff its time for xbox and nintendo to step into the ring do some battles or sony won't need any games since there putting out crap like quantum flop and star fox flop.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Well it is easier to develop a game when Ram is no longer as restraining as the PS3. Along with other upgrades.

This gen is still far from over. The PS4 hasn't even been out for 3 years. The PS3 was just starting to get a decent library about this point in its lifecycle when 2009 titles started dropping. Heck even multiplat offerings were lacking in the early PS3 days. And with investments in new IP's like Bloodborne, The Order, DriveClub, Days Gone, and the upcoming Horizon. Its not like Sony hasn't taken risks. An arrogant company contempt with low ball offerings and rehases, wouldn't be taking financial risks. And Bend studio, is a perfect example of a developer not taking the easy way out with making another SF game just yet.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Lol@the "art" comments. Such a cop-out answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Nathanfakeswag upset at Sony now lol, who would have thunk it. Sony too busy looking at everything MS is doing to emulate it than to sorry in making 1st party games right now. For the 2nd holiday coming up Sony has a weak lineup of game other than 3rd parties so I don't know what they are really doing.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If you want my opinion Sony's First Party isn't pumping out games like crazy pretty much because Games of the scale of like Uncharted 4 or that new God of War take TIME.

And They can Take their time too because they have 3rd Parties filling in the Gaps unlike say Xbox One and WiiU where those systems have to keep their flow a bit more constant cause they don't have the majority of 3rd Parties filling the gap.

It could also be a Budget thing too.

Personally I would actually ask what's going on with Nintendo's First Party. They used to be SUPER good, but lately they've been pumping out some low tier stuff like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

Some valid points, but I'm hyped for GT sport and Days Gone on top of the three games you mentioned.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_epyon

@silversix_ said:

The Xbone offers no challenge, that's why Sony isn't even trying. Its really annoying if you ask me because this may repeat for the 9th gen.

Also this. What the heck has MS' first party been doing? They're doing way worse. It's no excuse but that's what happens in business when there's little to no competition.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dakur

@Zero_epyon said:
@silversix_ said:

Also this. What the heck has MS' first party been doing? They're doing way worse. It's no excuse but that's what happens in business when there's little to no competition.

This is true. The market needs a better competitor than MS but Sony has done good before even without competition with the PS2 so I still have hopes that they will deliver just fine this gen.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

A huge chunk of the Playstation budget was spend to develop games for the PSVR. And lets be real here the Playstation fanbase never moan about Sony, they defend them like their life depends on it. So its not surprising Sony just does what it likes. Xbox fanbase when they are not happy are never afraid to tell Microsoft how they feel.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zero_epyon

@loe12k said:

A huge chunk of the Playstation budget was spend to develop games for the PSVR. And lets be real here the Playstation fanbase never moan about Sony, they defend them like their life depends on it. So its not surprising Sony just does what it likes. Xbox fanbase when they are not happy are never afraid to tell Microsoft how they feel.

Not true. Playstation almost went out of business last gen. It was only until Sony started releasing more games that people started liking them again.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@loe12k said:

Not true. Playstation almost went out of business last gen. It was only until Sony started releasing more games that people started liking them again.

I don't see this gen it least.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

@loe12k said:

Ahhhhh yes, I forgot PSVR is coming out this year, that's why they don't have any real 1st party games coming out this holiday other than TLG, they putting all their resources into that and most likely developement of the Neo.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dakur

@loe12k said:

Sony got sued last gen by their own fans rightly so when they took out OtherOS support. No fanbase is "nice" to their companies if they don´t deliver.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

If you want my opinion Sony's First Party isn't pumping out games like crazy pretty much because Games of the scale of like Uncharted 4 or that new God of War take TIME.

And They can Take their time too because they have 3rd Parties filling in the Gaps unlike say Xbox One and WiiU where those systems have to keep their flow a bit more constant cause they don't have the majority of 3rd Parties filling the gap.

It could also be a Budget thing too.

Personally I would actually ask what's going on with Nintendo's First Party. They used to be SUPER good, but lately they've been pumping out some low tier stuff like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

Nintendo didnt make Mario Tennis. Their last game was Kirby Planet Robobot which is the best Kirby i think ive ever played.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Playing Ratchet & Clank 2016 right now, maybe it's because I haven't touched one of these again since Crack in Time, but so far so good. It's polished as ****, it's just all around really fun to play. Mr Zurkon is love. Otherwise meh, was never much of a Sony first party person, always thought they were secretly kind of shit outside of Naughty Dog and a game here or there. Bloodborne for instance is great as a product of a third party dev, but Sony's internal teams?

I'm far more interested in the Japanese exclusives that the PS4 will get. Things like what KoF14 is, or Nioh. Nothing about the footage for Dreams, or God of War 4, or Days Gone even comes close to getting me excited. The Last Guardian I'll day one, because I believe in Ueda till the bitter end. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are fantastic games. But anything else from SCEJ? No thank you.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

Sony has been sucking hard all gen bro.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zero_epyon

@loe12k said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@loe12k said:

I don't see this gen it least.

Well they are doing better this gen than last gen at around the same time frame.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LegatoSkyheart

@iandizion713: really? You're pulling that? Might as well say Sony didn't make Uncharted 4 then.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iandizion713

@LegatoSkyheart: But Sony did develop Uncharted 4, so im not sure your point. Mario Tennis was a third party studio.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LegatoSkyheart

@iandizion713 said:

@LegatoSkyheart: But Sony did develop Uncharted 4, so im not sure your point. Mario Tennis was a third party studio.

The dumbest argument of our time.

Mario Tennis regardless of your labeling is a First Party game. Always has been, Always will be.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@Zero_epyon: It doesn't matter if MS first party is doing good or not. The point is the X1 has a lot of great games not on PS4. You can't say the same for PS4. Look at this holiday for instance. X1: Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Dead Rising 4, and Recore. Hopefully Cuphead. PS4: TLG... ( maybe) PS4 sucks.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iandizion713

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@iandizion713 said:

The dumbest argument of our time.

Mario Tennis regardless of your labeling is a First Party game. Always has been, Always will be.

How so? Nintendo has never developed one. Its always been developed by a third party company.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Games should be released when they are ready, not in time to feed system war arguments. Between exclusives, multiplats and indies, there are hundreds of good games already available, anyway.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I actually really enjoyed Infamous SS just as much as the other two.

That said, you can't expect gold from every release. Perhaps your tastes in gaming are changing. Perhaps you've been spoiled. There have also been IPs changing dev hands. I know LBP3 wasn't as good as the previous two in stability alone. Still fun, but not as novel given that it is the third in the series.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 iandizion713

@PAL360: Tell that to Sonys no mans sky. They said the game was gold, then later stated it would need a massive day one patch fix.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

@applebeatspc said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: You can't rush art.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PAL360

@iandizion713 said:

@PAL360: Tell that to Sonys no mans sky. They said the game was gold, then later stated it would need a massive day one patch fix.

Sure, but not every game meet the hype, and No Man's Sky was always a candidate to fail many people expectations. That's the price for making something that ambitious.

Even though, i respect what Hello Games managed to make. It was said hundreds of times NMS would be a slow paced exploration EXPERIENCE, meant to be played solo. It's not exactly dev's fault that many kids, somehow, hyped it as a fast paced online shooter, with missions to do, NPCs to interact with, etc.

Sure, some promisses were not delivered (lack of planet rotation, fake suns, etc), but it doesn't change the fact they managed to do something very few, if any, devs even dare to try. Imagine if in games like Destiny or Mass effect, instead of entering in a map with a few planets (or small areas controlled by invisible walls) and be thrown to them via loading time, you could freely explore on foot, enter your ship, travel through space to another planet, enter its atmosphere, land and explore all of it in real time.

Again, despite its flaws, NMS is the game AAA devs should be taking note from for their sci-fi games.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iandizion713

@PAL360: Thats not the point, if your game is not ready, delay it. O wait, No Mans Sky was delayed wasnt it? Matter of fact, Sony delayed the game twice if im not mistaken.

So thats 2 delays, then the game goes gold, which is suppose to mean the game is ready, then Sony censored the internet for talking bad about it. One example, The Know got censored, a really popular Youtube channel, https://youtu.be/j1ZoBqfWxqk, then they had to do a massive day one patch.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PAL360

@iandizion713 said:

@PAL360: Thats not the point, if your game is not ready, delay it. O wait, No Mans Sky was delayed wasnt it?

It's exactly the point. I'm saying that NMS could be considered a complete game if you had realistic expectations. Also we all know that games are being improved all the time via updates, these days, especialy open world (universe, in this case) ones.

Beavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Beavis
Member since 2016 • 131 Posts

The better question is;

What's going on with EVERYONES first party this gen?

This generation as a whole has been very underwhelming for all 3 companies.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iandizion713

@PAL360: How can i have realistic expectations when they lie about so much content. Even the gameplay videos they showed was lies.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zero_epyon

@primorandomguy said:

@Zero_epyon: It doesn't matter if MS first party is doing good or not. The point is the X1 has a lot of great games not on PS4. You can't say the same for PS4. Look at this holiday for instance. X1: Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Dead Rising 4, and Recore. Hopefully Cuphead. PS4: TLG... ( maybe) PS4 sucks.

The thing is that MS and Sony have different strategies for releasing games. MS stacks the holiday season, giving them the perception of having a better lineup for the year. Sony seems to prefer staggering releases at the beginning of the year. There are a few more games releasing by the end of the year for Sony as well. TLG like you mention along with Gravity Rush 2 and VR titles like Rigs and Until dawn. This on top of the prior releases of this year which include UC4, Gravity Rush Remaster, Ratchet and Clank, the tomorrow children (released today) and MLB the Show. This is just first party and if you count third party, Sony also has NMS, SFV, Alienation and others. MS has only released Quantum Break and Ori for the entire year.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44620 Posts

Ever hear the phrase "don't count your eggs before they hatch"?

Well, in the case of Sony and the PS4, everybody did.

They were like "we'll be releasing this and this and this" and they've only released a fraction of it.