What is everyone's favourite 3rd person shooter this gen.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Mine is Max Payne 3

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Max Payne 3.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts
Gears of War, Max Payne 3 and Vanquish.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Haven't played Max Payne 3, and while I enjoy Vanquish on a mechanical level: I think it's mostly an average/decent game built around an excellent core. Among Thieves has a good core, and has some great pacing. I think some of its moments overstay their welcome, but the set pieces are all well executed and varied enough to be satisfying on a gameplay level. It's also one of the few linear action games this gen that was actually enjoyable on a replay.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

Gears of War, Max Payne 3 and Vanquish.freedomfreak

Avatar image for xCocoTheMonkeyx
xCocoTheMonkeyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xCocoTheMonkeyx
Member since 2011 • 425 Posts

Max Payne 3 and Vanquish

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#7 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Haven't played Max Payne 3, and while I enjoy Vanquish on a mechanical level: I think it's mostly an average/decent game built around an excellent core. Among Thieves has a good core, and has some great pacing. I think some of its moments overstay their welcome, but the set pieces are all well executed and varied enough to be satisfying on a gameplay level. It's also one of the few linear action games this gen that was actually enjoyable on a replay. jg4xchamp

But Vanquish is vastly superior. Why would say Uncharted when Vanquish is the best?

To answer OP's question, Vanquish.

doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
Max Payne 3
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
I'd say Resident Evil 5 not as good as 4 was but still had alot of fun playing through its campaign and graphics where great on pc especially in 3D.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

Probably Vanquish

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Haven't played Max Payne 3, and while I enjoy Vanquish on a mechanical level: I think it's mostly an average/decent game built around an excellent core. Among Thieves has a good core, and has some great pacing. I think some of its moments overstay their welcome, but the set pieces are all well executed and varied enough to be satisfying on a gameplay level. It's also one of the few linear action games this gen that was actually enjoyable on a replay. Master_ShakeXXX

But Vanquish is vastly superior. Why would say Uncharted when Vanquish is the best?

This is true Vanquish was a fast paced, pedal to the medal, world cIass thrill ride that will never be matched again

[spoiler] Because the game is so dialed back. It felt like Mikami pulled some punches. The weapons themselves just aren't all that creative, or at the least the upgrade system could be a lot more elaborate. I mean RE4s upgrade system had more going for it. In general any meaningful upgrade to the suit doesn't happen until the very end of the game. Meaning you spend 90% of the game as strong as you're ever going to be. A game like this, is almost practically begging for a leveling system. With the bigger offense being that New game plus brings me back to level 1 weapons? kwtf who approved this.

Then there is the inconsistent pacing. It tries to do a nice balanced of highs and lows, but ultimately feels like a very monotone game at times. That only seems to excell when the battlefield is chaotic. All of its slow burn scenarios are painfully dull. Such as the snipers tower lights scenario. That crap isn't fun to do in The Darkness, and it sure as f*ck isn't fun in a game that lets me go super speed. Enemy variety is also a little lacking, and in general don't pose as much of a threat considering what you are. That and the recycling boss fights, the lameness that was the ghetto on rails bullsh1t with chain gun big guy, and the fact that the final boss(the best boss in the game) ends on such an anticlimactic way.

Vanquish is mechanically superior to Uncharted 2. It's feel, it's speed, and all that jazz Vanquish wins by a landslide. But Uncharted 2 had proper build up for its set pieces, and its slower approached scenarios yielded great results(save certain puzzle sequences that were just tedious). It just all around mixed it up nicely. It's most definitely a game that won't stand the test of time I would agree with its haters on that, but by that some notion man Vanquish as a game hasn't been worth your hype since the month it released. It was some grade A Flavor of the Month.

It's also why I would rather have a Vanquish 2 over a Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta got as much out of its potential as much as possible. It's why it's an excellent game even in a genre that has Ninja Gaiden Black and Devil May Cry 3. Vanquish? It left way too much on the table, and it's in a genre where it's more comparable to a game like Gears of War and Uncharted. It's just a lesser game wanting no part of actually being great. And f*ck you I want greatness

Fun game though. After playing Vanquish it sure as f*ck sucked playing all these other cover shooters and feeling so slow. Only game where that lack of speed didn't bother me was RE 4 since then, and lets get real. That's RE 4. Can't expect games to live up to that level of excellence [/spoiler]

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Haven't played Max Payne 3, and while I enjoy Vanquish on a mechanical level: I think it's mostly an average/decent game built around an excellent core. Among Thieves has a good core, and has some great pacing. I think some of its moments overstay their welcome, but the set pieces are all well executed and varied enough to be satisfying on a gameplay level. It's also one of the few linear action games this gen that was actually enjoyable on a replay. jg4xchamp

This is true Vanquish was a fast paced, pedal to the medal, world cIass thrill ride that will never be matched again

[spoiler] Because the game is so dialed back. It felt like Mikami pulled some punches. The weapons themselves just aren't all that creative, or at the least the upgrade system could be a lot more elaborate. I mean RE4s upgrade system had more going for it. In general any meaningful upgrade to the suit doesn't happen until the very end of the game. Meaning you spend 90% of the game as strong as you're ever going to be. A game like this, is almost practically begging for a leveling system. With the bigger offense being that New game plus brings me back to level 1 weapons? kwtf who approved this.

Then there is the inconsistent pacing. It tries to do a nice balanced of highs and lows, but ultimately feels like a very monotone game at times. That only seems to excell when the battlefield is chaotic. All of its slow burn scenarios are painfully dull. Such as the snipers tower lights scenario. That crap isn't fun to do in The Darkness, and it sure as f*ck isn't fun in a game that lets me go super speed. Enemy variety is also a little lacking, and in general don't pose as much of a threat considering what you are. That and the recycling boss fights, the lameness that was the ghetto on rails bullsh1t with chain gun big guy, and the fact that the final boss(the best boss in the game) ends on such an anticlimactic way.

Vanquish is mechanically superior to Uncharted 2. It's feel, it's speed, and all that jazz Vanquish wins by a landslide. But Uncharted 2 had proper build up for its set pieces, and its slower approached scenarios yielded great results(save certain puzzle sequences that were just tedious). It just all around mixed it up nicely. It's most definitely a game that won't stand the test of time I would agree with its haters on that, but by that some notion man Vanquish as a game hasn't been worth your hype since the month it released. It was some grade A Flavor of the Month.

It's also why I would rather have a Vanquish 2 over a Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta got as much out of its potential as much as possible. It's why it's an excellent game even in a genre that has Ninja Gaiden Black and Devil May Cry 3. Vanquish? It left way too much on the table, and it's in a genre where it's more comparable to a game like Gears of War and Uncharted. It's just a lesser game wanting no part of actually being great. And f*ck you I want greatness

Fun game though. After playing Vanquish it sure as f*ck sucked playing all these other cover shooters and feeling so slow. Only game where that lack of speed didn't bother me was RE 4 since then, and lets get real. That's RE 4. Can't expect games to live up to that level of excellence [/spoiler]

Let me ask you this - how many times did you play through it? Personally I found that as I became better at the game, the game also became better. This continued until I transcended to master and nearly reached the top of the leaderboards (true story) and then I finally retired. Like any good hack n slash a lot of the enjoyment comes from mastering the gameplay and perfecting your level performances. I'm sure you know this being a Ninja Gaiden fan and all.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Let me ask you this - how many times did you play through it? Personally I found that as I became better at the game, the game also became better. This continued until I transcended to master and nearly reached the top of the leaderboards (true story) and then I finally retired. Like any good hack n slash a lot of the enjoyment comes from mastering the gameplay and perfecting your level performances. I'm sure you know this being a Ninja Gaiden fan and all.

One full playthrough, and like an act. And even as a big fan of NG, Bayonetta, and DMC man I don't care. I know instantly when I want to go through the game again, and I just didn't with Vanquish. Ninja Gaiden beat me into submission till I got better. Master Ninja was more of an ego issue. Quite frankly I never want to put myself through that again(because I love my hair, and since I can't fast ball controllers at the xbox no more, chances are I'd rip my hair out). Bayonetta was satisfying on multiple levels, and that made me want to get more into the ins and outs of the battle system. RE 4 was instantly fun on my initial playthrough, and even on NG+ with my suped up weapons plowing everyone down it was a total blast still. Because the moment to moment action was so well executed.

In Vanquish? I just do not think its there. On top of that it's not exactly all that well built for replays beyond a leaderboard contest with friends. Unless the higher difficulties completely change the enemy pattern/level design/combat scenarios the way they do in hack n slash games. But I wasn't seeing that in the opening act so I was all "meh I'm done". On the plus side I totally outscored Bruce. So if he ever comes back from Japan and does a playthrough, I might go another round to outscore him.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46328 Posts

Gears of War, Max Payne 3 and Vanquish.freedomfreak

Haven't played vanquish yet. But if its as good as max payne 3 and gears of war than I have to check it out

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Max Payne 3, followed closely by RE5.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] This is true Vanquish was a fast paced, pedal to the medal, world cIass thrill ride that will never be matched again

jg4xchamp

One full playthrough, and like an act. And even as a big fan of NG, Bayonetta, and DMC man I don't care. I know instantly when I want to go through the game again, and I just didn't with Vanquish. Ninja Gaiden beat me into submission till I got better. Master Ninja was more of an ego issue. Quite frankly I never want to put myself through that again(because I love my hair, and since I can't fast ball controllers at the xbox no more, chances are I'd rip my hair out). Bayonetta was satisfying on multiple levels, and that made me want to get more into the ins and outs of the battle system. RE 4 was instantly fun on my initial playthrough, and even on NG+ with my suped up weapons plowing everyone down it was a total blast still. Because the moment to moment action was so well executed.

In Vanquish? I just do not think its there. On top of that it's not exactly all that well built for replays beyond a leaderboard contest with friends. Unless the higher difficulties completely change the enemy pattern/level design/combat scenarios the way they do in hack n slash games. But I wasn't seeing that in the opening act so I was all "meh I'm done". On the plus side I totally outscored Bruce. So if he ever comes back from Japan and does a playthrough, I might go another round to outscore him.

Fair enough. I don't know who Bruce is but I'm sure he's not coming back. I know I wouldn't given what the woman over there look like.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Fair enough. I don't know who Bruce is but I'm sure he's not coming back. I know I wouldn't given what the woman over there look like.

Sonicmj1. I call him Bruce, because I argue that you have to be absolutely awesome to be named Bruce. Batman? Bruce Bruce campbell? F*cking awesome Bruce Springsteen? Enough said Bruce Lee, Bruce Willis, Bruce Smith. You can't be wack and be named Bruce. And Sonic if it's a game he likes is disgusting good at videogames. So I took it upon myself to overrule the name his mother gave him and rename him Bruce.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] One full playthrough, and like an act. And even as a big fan of NG, Bayonetta, and DMC man I don't care. I know instantly when I want to go through the game again, and I just didn't with Vanquish. Ninja Gaiden beat me into submission till I got better. Master Ninja was more of an ego issue. Quite frankly I never want to put myself through that again(because I love my hair, and since I can't fast ball controllers at the xbox no more, chances are I'd rip my hair out). Bayonetta was satisfying on multiple levels, and that made me want to get more into the ins and outs of the battle system. RE 4 was instantly fun on my initial playthrough, and even on NG+ with my suped up weapons plowing everyone down it was a total blast still. Because the moment to moment action was so well executed.

jg4xchamp

Sonicmj1. I call him Bruce, because I argue that you have to be absolutely awesome to be named Bruce. Batman? Bruce Bruce campbell? F*cking awesome Bruce Springsteen? Enough said Bruce Lee, Bruce Willis, Bruce Smith. You can't be wack and be named Bruce. And Sonic if it's a game he likes is disgusting good at videogames. So I took it upon myself to overrule the name his mother gave him and rename him Bruce.

Ah I think I remember him. I never really thought about it but now that you mention it there are a lot of badasses with the name Bruce. Bruce Jenner also.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#19 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Dead Space

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Red Dead Redemption

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
Uncharted 3/Gears of War 3
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Gears of War 3

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Max Payne 3 easily

Vanquish is easily the worst, come at me!

ctygP.gif

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

GTAIV or Binary Domain. Max Payne was good when it actually let you play but there where too many boring cut scenes.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys and girls.:)

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
Max payne 3
IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
Vanquish. Havent played the entire Gears series yet, havent played Max Payne 3 yet, Uncharted 2 was excellent but its gunplay wasn't anything good to be honest. Only thing wrong with Vanquish is its length and the fact Master Shakes likes it.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

Vanquish. Only thing wrong with Vanquish is its length and the fact Master Shakes likes it.IAmNot_fun

What's so wrong about Master Shake liking it? If it wasn't for him, many of us would've never experienced it. Stop the Shake-hate.:x

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

binary domain

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Vanquish and Max Payne 3.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Best overall game: Uncharted 2. Best gameplay: Vanquish.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
uncharted 3 / gears of war / vanquish
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
Vanquish and uncharted.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Vanquish. Only thing wrong with Vanquish is its length and the fact Master Shakes likes it.TecmoGirl

What's so wrong about Master Shake liking it? If it wasn't for him, many of us would've never experienced it. Stop the Shake-hate.:x

He makes me want to hate any game he likes. Which almost made me hate Vanquish after finishing it. Very hard thing to achieve. He almost succeeded. =P
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Gears of War 2 or Resident Evil 5.