What Improvements in games are you hoping on the new gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

This generation did improve on new ideas and brought up old ones for video games..

but it also became a fad to do many disliked things. such as

1.Day 1 dlc's,

2.Store exclusive DLC's ( best buy , gamestop , etc )

3.online passes for too many games

4. Dumbed down games that were too easy.

I'm personally hoping there's an improvement on NPC's AI's specially on co-op games. I think that area needs some dire work.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

I honestly don't care if game graphics get any better than some of these launch titles on next-gen like Ryse and Killzone. That looks good enough.

Also, we have reached a strong tipping-point in diminishing returns on increased poly count on characters. Ryse uses around 85K polys per character and honestly...the returns on going over that are negligible.

I hope we see larger improvements in AI and physics. These are also regions that have a lot more room to grow. That said, the computational power necessary to REALISTICALLY portray physics and destruction is incredible. Realistically destroying just one house in a believable fashion would require unbelievable amounts of computing power. Hopefully we will see something that comes close.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@Bruin1986 said:

I honestly don't care if game graphics get any better than some of these launch titles on next-gen like Ryse and Killzone. That looks good enough.

Also, we have reached a strong tipping-point in diminishing returns on increased poly count on characters. Ryse uses around 85K polys per character and honestly...the returns on going over that are negligible.

I hope we see larger improvements in AI and physics. These are also regions that have a lot more room to grow. That said, the computational power necessary to REALISTICALLY portray physics and destruction is incredible. Realistically destroying just one house in a believable fashion would require unbelievable amounts of computing power. Hopefully we will see something that comes close.

I used to study architecture and it used to take a lot of processing power to just render a piece of a building to just take a picture. So yea.. i know what you mean that it would take a huge amount of power to create actual destruction to a believable level on a video game. But it doesn't have to go that far.. just satisfactory, I found the destruction on battlefield bad company satisfactory.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

better lighting

better pysics

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Games that are still forcing unskippable cutscenes onto the player.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

more juice in hardware should allow them to make open(ish) world games with lots of physics fun. more dynamic, more awesome.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

changes I want:

1 - less shooters. more of other genres

2 - restore offline multiplayer

3 - put an end to combat-cutscene-combat-cutscene formula

4 - focus more on style and art. less on realism

5 - make online more than just your standard deathmatch

6 - stories with actually decent writing (and less dumb cliches)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Mandatory 60 FPS locked. I'm tired of playing slideshows.

EddyG0RD0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 EddyG0RD0
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts

no loading screen but i doubt it will happen , well at least shorter loading screens in games

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 BruceBenzing
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@sts106mat said:

more interesting interaction with NPC's for RPG's and a smarter enemy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> better graphics in my opinion.

Definitely Low enemy AI tends to make a game way less fun...cough cough Uncharted..

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@drekula2 said:

5 - make online more than just your standard deathmatch

THIS, goddammit!

oh the days of Titan Mode, Powerstruggle and Onslaught (the one in UT2K4, not in Bad Company).

Dice, Crytek and Epic, y u regress?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

-I want to see more games that grow from a small base game with fundamentally very good gameplay into something big through many decent patches and updates. I like that idea of games being more of a service than a static product. A bit like TF2 or Eve online (but not Eve online).

-I want them to use more big data and personal data to reflect on yourself how you're doing, how you will be doing, and how you can achieve certain things that you want to achieve, and what you could have done instead, and to improve AI and to learn about effective game design.

-I want more meaningful characters and stories that actually make you think about things like The Witcher and Planescape Torment. So taking a step away from the standard Hollywood cinematic experiences and stories.

-I want to see more games that actually teach you things that are applicable in real life. My brother is playing Wii Fit and you might laugh at that but he is losing weight and shaping up and being motivated whereas normally he never was. So it fracking works. I want to see more of that type of stuff. Perhaps not fitness, but other skills that are great to have in life. (Watch TEDtalks or Lifehack and you can get many ideas of things that they could put in games that would make your life more interesting.)

-I want more of the very interesting social interactions like in Journey and Dark Souls. So using the internet and the background connection between players in creative ways.

-And I want to see more crowdfunding successes and indie support. Partially because I love their creativity, and partially because I fear that publishers are going to try and do some nasty things that gamers won't like. And the best weapon we have against those publishers used to be piracy, and it's turning into the indie community. I want to see a super strong indie community.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Better destruction

Better physics

Bigger environments

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#16 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Smoother frame rates, less pop-in, and better AI. None of this unskippable cutscene bullshit either or have text saying I can skip a cutscene while I watch it.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

1080p/60 for most games

more effects (particles, reflections, etc)

better graphics

bigger worlds

better physics

better AI

more destructibility and interaction with the environment

more use of euphoria animations

better stories

less quick time events (except for point and click adventure/story driven games, like The Walking Dead)

less scripted sequences

less linearity (more open world games)

the reborn of space sims and survival horror games on consoles

the end of yearly releases (devs should take their time)

less paid DLC

Wutabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wutabi
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I wish the developers could somehow implement a "Feedback/Wish List" of some type on the main menu of the game itself. Right below the "Options" and this pretty much is you go in and after having some time with the game or if you encounter an issue, you can write something that gets sent straight to the developers, and if it's an issue like with a bug that won't let you get pass the level, you're somehow stuck, etc it can be marked as urgent, and they'll take a look at it asap and if they receive many of the same issue, they'll start to work on it right away and release a patch for the game.

As far as feedback goes, despite what we have with DLC, if a lot of people ask for the same thing, maybe the developers could compile a list and break it down. "We have this many people asking for new maps or character models" so we'll try to make it a priority and look into it for DLC and for something on a smaller scale, if people are looking for maybe the implementation of local co-op, new skins, a weapon they would like too see in the game. For example, I'm playing Dead Rising 3 at the moment and I'd love to see maybe a gravity gun or a costume based off Viewtiful Joe. Now from there I'll submit it, and I could see like a list of what's most popular in terms of what other people want to see and also what's the most critical in what people want fixed and I could also from there just give a "thumbs up" so that it gets more hits and developers become aware of it and try to fix the minor things within a week or so, and big things that take more time will get added as DLC so it'll be a win/win for both. Just my 2 cents :)