What has halo done for the gaming industry exactly.

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

No by no means is halo a bad series.

It's actually solid with the exception of 3 (for me at least)

But Everytime I see someone say something, it's about how halo almost made it a staple or standard for the industry.

I was reading the halo evolution over at lens of truth and it happened again.

First offense "Halo: Combat Evolved revolutionized the First Person genre with its' fast paced over the top action" Hmmm, didn't unreal tournement do that a year before? Considiring UT is one of the fastest flippin games out there?

Second offense "Halo 2 allowed players to compete with each other via Xbox Live. Actually, Halo 2 pretty much opened the flood gates to online gaming"

Didn't the PC have this like many many years before?

Third offense "Furthermore, Halo 2 revolutionized the genre once more by introducing a Duel Wielding system." OBJECTION

Im sorry but what is going on in this photo of goldeneye?

So what did Halo revolutionize?
A superior FPS on other systems?
Done with goldeneye.

it's just that halo had staying power, and gathered a large fanbase.

Now by no means is it a bad game. I play my daily game of reach.

But I don't see it revolutionizing much. Yes its a game with great production values.

solid gameplay and great online. But halo revolutionize? I just don't see it.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Wanna borrow this?

:P

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
It's just another game alot of people find fun.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

There is a reason Halo has staying power & a large fanbase. It's at the pinnacle of console FPS & has been since 2001. Nine years & counting (Reach won't die out anytime soon).

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Animal-Mother

There is a reason Halo has staying power & a large fanbase. It's at the pinnacle of console FPS & has been since 2001. Nine years & counting (Reach won't die out anytime soon).

Twin-Blade
What about goldeneye Had evolution not happened we'd all still be playing it.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
It brought us Red vs Blue.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Well, yes, technically you're correct in that most of Halo's features and appeal are a bit oversold in claiming it pioneered areas which it actually didn't. It was preceded by stellar console shooters like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, it's vehicle gameplay was preceded by Tribes, it's dual wielding by Goldeneye. It did, AFAIK, pioneer the two weapons at a time system, and the shielding system, although that's not really enough IMO to be considered revolutionary. What Halo did, which is what most very famous games do, was to combine a lot of things done in other games, and do them very, very well in one package. Other examples include GTA3, Half Life 2, Starcraft, etc. None of these games were 'the first', but they had staying power because of their polish.
akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 akira2465
Member since 2004 • 1194 Posts

rechargeable health for one

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Animal-Mother
It brought us Red vs Blue.tagyhag
One of the best series of all times.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Before Halo, it's hard to think of a shooter with a strict two-weapon limit. It also created a viable way to combine guns and melee attacks (i.e. without being clunky) And with Halo 2, nearly every feature people praise Xbox Live for now, was created in Halo 2. It paved the way for how online console games should play.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Animal-Mother

akira2465
Wrong http://www.giantbomb.com/regenerating-health/92-83/
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Danm_999

akira2465
Well, actually, it wasn't the first game to have that feature. The first GOOD game, sure, but not the first game.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Animal-Mother

Before Halo, it's hard to think of a shooter with a strict two-weapon limit. It also created a viable way to combine guns and melee attacks (i.e. without being clunky) And with Halo 2, nearly every feature people praise Xbox Live for now, was created in Halo 2. It paved the way for how online console games should play.Skittles_McGee
but almost every feature on XBL was on PC loooooooooooong before. I will agree with the melee thing.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Twin-Blade

[QUOTE="Twin-Blade"]

Animal-Mother

What about goldeneye Had evolution not happened we'd all still be playing it.

You could argue a developer as good of Bungie hasn't come around yet to produce a series that caused people to lose interest in Halo.

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 akira2465

My Bad lol it's being too long to remember games from that long ago. Although I can still remember playing old gems like actrasier

What was the first game with rechargeable health ?

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]Before Halo, it's hard to think of a shooter with a strict two-weapon limit. It also created a viable way to combine guns and melee attacks (i.e. without being clunky) And with Halo 2, nearly every feature people praise Xbox Live for now, was created in Halo 2. It paved the way for how online console games should play.Animal-Mother

but almost every feature on XBL was on PC loooooooooooong before. I will agree with the melee thing.

Is the PC a console?
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Big levels, large scale battles, vehicles, dual wielding, recharging health, holding only two weapons, dedicated melee button, dedicated grenades button, differnt types of grenade, all in a great FPS. Goldeneye had dual wielding but didn't have a different button for each gun, it had vehicles but they were more short set pieces than full on levles, or hop in hop it strategic choices.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]Before Halo, it's hard to think of a shooter with a strict two-weapon limit. It also created a viable way to combine guns and melee attacks (i.e. without being clunky) And with Halo 2, nearly every feature people praise Xbox Live for now, was created in Halo 2. It paved the way for how online console games should play.Skittles_McGee

Is the PC a console?

last time I check it was a system, as were the others. I mean this is system wars? Right? Or did I step in the wrong door this morning.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]Before Halo, it's hard to think of a shooter with a strict two-weapon limit. It also created a viable way to combine guns and melee attacks (i.e. without being clunky) And with Halo 2, nearly every feature people praise Xbox Live for now, was created in Halo 2. It paved the way for how online console games should play.Skittles_McGee

Is the PC a console?

But that's not really an argument for what Halo has done for the gaming industry, is it? That's an argument for what Halo has done for the Xbox series.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Danm_999
Big levels, large scale battles, vehicles, dual wielding, recharging health, holding only two weapons, dedicated melee button, dedicated grenades button, differnt types of grenade, all in a great FPS. Goldeneye had dual wielding but didn't have a different button for each gun, it had vehicles but they were more short set pieces than full on levles, or hop in hop it strategic choices.locopatho
It did all these things well, but the point was that apart from the two weapon limit, it didn't pioneer or invent any of these things.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Twin-Blade

I've yet to find a game that uses vehicles in an FPS as well as Halo (not saying there isn't, I just haven't played one - UT3 was the closest).

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Animal-Mother
Big levels, large scale battles, vehicles, dual wielding, recharging health, holding only two weapons, dedicated melee button, dedicated grenades button, differnt types of grenade, all in a great FPS. Goldeneye had dual wielding but didn't have a different button for each gun, it had vehicles but they were more short set pieces than full on levles, or hop in hop it strategic choices.locopatho
Things all done before. Halo is just a game that does everything better.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Regenerating health, the modern console FPS control scheme, two weapon limit, made melee attacks work well, basically invented online play on consoles, etc.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] but almost every feature on XBL was on PC loooooooooooong before. I will agree with the melee thing.

Animal-Mother

Is the PC a console?

last time I check it was a system, as were the others. I mean this is system wars? Right? Or did I step in the wrong door this morning.

But you asked what it did for the industry, to which the SW "rules" don't apply. Microsoft and other developers have said that because of Halo 2, we have theonline systems for consoleswe do now. It doesn't matter who did it first, Halo 2 is the reason it happened. Thats what it did for the industry, no?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#26 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts
Wait, I've heard a forgotten FPS called Marathon had dual wielding looong before Goldeneye did.
BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

[QUOTE="akira2465"]

Animal-Mother

It was the game that made it mainstream. So I would say that he is right, even if Halo didn't do it first.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Animal-Mother

Regenerating health, the modern console FPS control scheme, two weapon limit, made melee attacks work well, basically invented online play on consoles, etc.

DarkLink77
http://www.giantbomb.com/regenerating-health/92-83/ Look at the regenerating health. Now as said. Halo just does these things well. But what has it done for the gaming industry? Also System wars. So that means the xbox and sony and ninty brands are systems too right>
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="akira2465"]

BigBoss154

It was the game that made it mainstream. So I would say that he is right, even if Halo didn't do it first.

but halo didn't do that for the gaming industry those games did.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
Wait, I've heard a forgotten FPS called Marathon had dual wielding looong before Goldeneye did.nintendoboy16
Marathon was the first. It was also the first to feature vertical aiming.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"]Big levels, large scale battles, vehicles, dual wielding, recharging health, holding only two weapons, dedicated melee button, dedicated grenades button, differnt types of grenade, all in a great FPS. Goldeneye had dual wielding but didn't have a different button for each gun, it had vehicles but they were more short set pieces than full on levles, or hop in hop it strategic choices.Animal-Mother

All done before I'm sure. But all together in a fantastic package with awesome gameplay? I doubt it.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
It popularized the FPS on consoles and opened the floodgates for the current industry. Simple.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Twin-Blade

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Big levels, large scale battles, vehicles, dual wielding, recharging health, holding only two weapons, dedicated melee button, dedicated grenades button, differnt types of grenade, all in a great FPS. Goldeneye had dual wielding but didn't have a different button for each gun, it had vehicles but they were more short set pieces than full on levles, or hop in hop it strategic choices.Animal-Mother

Well, Halo has taken the bread & butter of everything done fairly well before it in an FPS & made it much better as well was thrown in a few select things of it's own (smooth melee) to produce a near perfect console shooter that gamers love & has become a gaming icon, drawing in more gamers. That's what it has done for the industry at least.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

I think for CE at least, it did alot of things, and almost everything perfectly (by those standards).

Doing everything top notch is rare for developers to do.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Animal-Mother

I think for CE at least, it did alot of things, and almost everything perfectly (by those standards).

h575309
So you would say the one thing halo has done has taught developers to polish games to the finest extent?
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Danm_999
I'd probably say the single biggest and most tangible impact of Halo was the success and survival of the Xbox console series. Without Halo, I doubt the Xbox and the 360 would have enjoyed the success they have today. Would gaming be vastly different? Probably not. Halo would probably have been released on the PC, where it would have joined about 10-15 other franchises that are at the vanguard of modern FPS.
BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss154"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] Wrong http://www.giantbomb.com/regenerating-health/92-83/Animal-Mother

but halo didn't do that for the gaming industry those games did.

I can think of maybe 1 or 2 games before Halo that had regenerating health. Halo was released, and then suddenly everybody was doing it. Seems like a bit of a coincidence to me.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
But what did Final Fantasy VII do for the gaming industry, then? What did GTA3 do? What did Starcraft do? None of these were first out of the gates. They were all simply representing, ON THEIR RESPECTIVE SYSTEMS, the pinnacle of their respective genres. Halo made the FPS accessible to the masses. That is its contribution to gaming,
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"]But what did Final Fantasy VII do for the gaming industry, then? What did GTA3 do? What did Starcraft do? None of these were first out of the gates. They were all simply representing, ON THEIR RESPECTIVE SYSTEMS, the pinnacle of their respective genres. Halo made the FPS accessible to the masses. That is its contribution to gaming,

thats not the qquestion im asking. Im asking what did halo do. people say it revolutionized so much. GTA basically created the open world 3D genre. Starcraft is the template for RTS games today.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
You can point out earlier games that had aspects of Halo but it wasn't until the Halo games came out that these became mainstream accepted ideas. Yeah games like Goldeney or Perfect Dark were good console FPS but Halo CE set the bar for all FPS once it came out. It laid out the formula to make a good console FPS and its still being copied today.
romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts
[QUOTE="h575309"]

Animal-Mother
So you would say the one thing halo has done has taught developers to polish games to the finest extent?

Yes. And that in itself is a big deal.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Just because you got -12 (that's right folks, NEGATIVE) K/D spread and cost us a game that we should've won doesn't mean you gotta hate.

[spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

BIacckAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 BIacckAce
Member since 2009 • 270 Posts

an addicting story and likable characters

and with awesome gameplay it makes it the best game one earth

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Iconic hero + iconic music + polished gameplay experience = Staying power and influence on industry.
akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 akira2465

It Delievered more NEW gamers to our hobby?

The industry has grown alot since Halo came into the fold because of games like Halo, GTA etc.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"]But what did Final Fantasy VII do for the gaming industry, then? What did GTA3 do? What did Starcraft do? None of these were first out of the gates. They were all simply representing, ON THEIR RESPECTIVE SYSTEMS, the pinnacle of their respective genres. Halo made the FPS accessible to the masses. That is its contribution to gaming,

thats not the qquestion im asking. Im asking what did halo do. people say it revolutionized so much. GTA basically created the open world 3D genre. Starcraft is the template for RTS games today.

Halo did something that most FPS's today still can't do. Create a hero that's more than just "stand in for player."
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Animal-Mother

Just because you got -12 (that's right folks, NEGATIVE) k/D spread and cost us a game that we should've won doesn't mean you gotta hate.

Verge_6

There ain't no hate I'm Positive 8) http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/default.aspx

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Animal-Mother

an addicting story and likable characters

and with awesome gameplay it makes it the best game one earth

BIacckAce
the story is the worst part about halo. I mean hell Resident evil's is better.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Skittles_McGee
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"]But what did Final Fantasy VII do for the gaming industry, then? What did GTA3 do? What did Starcraft do? None of these were first out of the gates. They were all simply representing, ON THEIR RESPECTIVE SYSTEMS, the pinnacle of their respective genres. Halo made the FPS accessible to the masses. That is its contribution to gaming,Animal-Mother

Elder Scrolls did the open world first. WarCraft set the template for StarCraft. I mean, Halo can't have any influence, because someone else did it first, so the same goes for everyone ;)
Eltormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Eltormo
Member since 2010 • 990 Posts

Before Halo, it's hard to think of a shooter with a strict two-weapon limit. It also created a viable way to combine guns and melee attacks (i.e. without being clunky) And with Halo 2, nearly every feature people praise Xbox Live for now, was created in Halo 2. It paved the way for how online console games should play.Skittles_McGee

Rainbow six.?

Halo 2 was the most cheated xbox live game ever,out side of that what matchamaking or something like it.?

Sales or popularity in no way several other FPS were very popular on consoles before the xbox was even launch.