What happened to dedicated servers in all games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

http://www.spawnfirst.com/news/forza-5-xbox-one-title-using-dedicated-servers/

Some digging has been done and apparently the only Xbox One game using dedicated servers is Forza 5, bit of a far cry from dedicated servers for all games as was promised by MS.

PrincessKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 PrincessKenny
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

That sounded expensive, so lying is definitely the way to go.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

Teh cloud!!!!!!

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan1
BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BattlefieldFan1
Member since 2012 • 841 Posts

Why am I not surprised?

Notice that everything xboners have said last gen was about unmeasurable shit like "TEH EXPERIENCE"!!1\

This is more the same. Lemmings getting inferior services but think they're getting more. It's kinda sad.

And get this, PS3 has more dedicated servers than XBL... LOL... Xboners are paying for shit a free service can do better... LOL

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

At E3 M$ also said all their games would be 1080p 60fps on X1.

Dont believe the hype, especially if its coming from M$.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

"Also in the interview, Bach confirmed that Battlefield 4 on Xbox One will not make use of Microsoft's Xbox Live Compute, a cloud-powered service that offers developers dedicated servers and the ability to offload various computations to the cloud to beef up performance.

"Not from day one. The reasons for that are multiple," Bach said. "We started this project before these plans were locked down, so we didn't dare fiddle too much with it. Also, we're not Xbox One exclusive, so we needed a solution that would work on all platforms. We're on five platforms, so we need something that's Battlefield, not Xbox One.""

Not that I think they're going to deliver 100% in the future, but that's a fair excuse. For now.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Ah same as last gen. Lems kept claiming every 360 game had dedicated servers last gen too, look how that turned out.

It barely matters though, I don't usually have any problems with most P2P.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

Some digging has been done and apparently the only Xbox One game using dedicated servers is Forza 5, bit of a far cry from dedicated servers for all games as was promised by MS.

It's up to the developer/publishers to decide whether they want to use M$ dedicated servers or not. Microsoft can't force developers to use their servers. All M$ first party games will be using them. EA & Activision uses their own servers I believe.

***************************************************************************************************************

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

Why am I not surprised?

Notice that everything xboners have said last gen was about unmeasurable shit like "TEH EXPERIENCE"!!1\

This is more the same. Lemmings getting inferior services but think they're getting more. It's kinda sad.

And get this, PS3 has more dedicated servers than XBL... LOL... Xboners are paying for shit a free service can do better... LOL

PS3 doesn't have over 300K dedicated server. lol!! Not even close. Amazon is the only company that has more dedicated servers then Microsoft right now.

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

300.000 servers!

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

That was a big selling point though. Dedicated servers for all games and the power of the cloud due to all games being on dedicated servers. That wad the only advantage I was giving the Xbox One.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Same thing that happened to 1080p Xbone games. It was all lies.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@HavocV3 said:

"Also in the interview, Bach confirmed that Battlefield 4 on Xbox One will not make use of Microsoft's Xbox Live Compute, a cloud-powered service that offers developers dedicated servers and the ability to offload various computations to the cloud to beef up performance.

"Not from day one. The reasons for that are multiple," Bach said. "We started this project before these plans were locked down, so we didn't dare fiddle too much with it. Also, we're not Xbox One exclusive, so we needed a solution that would work on all platforms. We're on five platforms, so we need something that's Battlefield, not Xbox One.""

Not that I think they're going to deliver 100% in the future, but that's a fair excuse. For now.

Like I said. Microsoft can't force these developers/publishers to use their dedicated cloud servers. I can see exclusive and Indie games using them often though.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Microsoft never said every game would actually use dedicated servers.

They said it's a service that will be available for all games on their platform but the developer ultimately has to decide to use them.

Some developers have decided not to use them.

Blame the developer, not M$.

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattlefieldFan1

@blackace said:

@hoosier7 said:

It's up to the developer/publishers to decide whether they want to use M$ dedicated servers or not. Microsoft can't force developers to use their servers. All M$ first party games will be using them. EA & Activision uses their own servers I believe.

***************************************************************************************************************

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

Why am I not surprised?

PS3 doesn't have over 300K dedicated server. lol!! Not even close. Amazon is the only company that has more dedicated servers then Microsoft right now.

300,000 isn't just for the Xbone.

I made a prediction months ago that Microsoft would barely reserve any of that for the Xbone because the Xbone was gonna flop. Microsoft is gonna reserve the vast majority of those servers for their other business units.

Why would Microsoft reserve so much of their servers if hardly anyone is gonna be on XBL this gen? It's just a waste of money.

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BattlefieldFan1

@Bruin1986 said:

Microsoft never said every game would actually use dedicated servers.

They said it's a service that will be available for all games on their platform but the developer ultimately has to decide to use them.

Some developers have decided not to use them.

Blame the developer, not M$.

This is the stupidest thing I've read as far as this gen is concerned. It's on par with cow stupidity last-gen when they said it's devs fault for not optimizing CELL usage.

The fact of the matter is that only 1 game is using dedicated servers on the Xbone. Dedicated Server support for all games was a giant plus for the XBL and possibly the ONLY advantage that the Xbone had over the PS4. Without that, the PS4 is superior the Xbone in every metric.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Well I'm not going to say I called it, but.... I called it.

go figure.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@BattlefieldFan1:

It's the same thing with their studios as well. Lems all love to copy/paste the same exact Wikipedia list of Microsoft Studios when not all of them are even Xbox studios and develop for PC as well as windows phones and surface tablets. A couple don't even actually make games such as Redmond Publishing.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Pretty sure its up to devs whether they want to use em or not.

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BattlefieldFan1

@mems_1224 said:

Yeah, like it was up to devs whether they wanted to make good PS3 ports or not.

We held SONY accountable for making dumbass engineering choices. Now it's Microsoft's turn.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

We held SONY accountable for making dumbass engineering choices. Now it's Microsoft's turn.

Not sure what MS is doing wrong. They let the devs choose to use their servers or not.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

is there cloud thing even up and running?

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BattlefieldFan1

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Not sure what MS is doing wrong. They let the devs choose to use their servers or not.

lol... So naive. If devs have a choice of free dedicated servers or P2P with the assumption that there were no strings attached for picking either network, devs will always go for the dedicated server.

Microsoft probably gave cruddy dedis that had horrendous lag and bandwidth or they wanted full exclusivity with AAA-budget games. So yes, it is Microsoft's fault.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mems_1224

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

lol... So naive. If devs have a choice of free dedicated servers or P2P with the assumption that there were no strings attached for picking either network, devs will always go for the dedicated server.

Microsoft probably gave cruddy dedis that had horrendous lag and bandwidth or they wanted full exclusivity with AAA-budget games. So yes, it is Microsoft's fault.

proof??

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BattlefieldFan1

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

proof??

I said "probably". There's a reason why most devs aren't utilizing dedicated servers. None of us knows why. I'm just throwing out possibilities. There obviously had to be strings attached, else most devs would be using those servers.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mems_1224

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

proof??

I said "probably". There's a reason why most devs aren't utilizing dedicated servers. None of us knows why. I'm just throwing out possibilities. There obviously had to be strings attached, else most devs would be using those servers.

So no proof? Cool. Better luck next time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

proof??

It's more likely that the games out now that use dedicated servers for next gen are multiplats, so the devs are providing servers for both platforms

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#27 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

MS said it's there if the devs want it at no cost.

Devs may choose to opt out which could easily be due to the fact of devs only want to work with one type of server.

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BattlefieldFan1

@lostrib said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

proof??

It's more likely that the games out now that use dedicated servers for next gen are multiplats, so the devs are providing servers for both platforms

No. It's more like "dedicated servers for all games" means port-forwarding servers and player stat database. I doubt Microsoft is offering servers to host live matches.

lol... MS PR is so full of shit.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@lostrib said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

proof??

No. It's more like "dedicated servers for all games" means port-forwarding servers and player stat database. I doubt Microsoft is offering servers to host live matches.

lol... MS PR is so full of shit.

proof?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

LMFAO!!!!!!!!! Live is a con.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@blackace said:

@hoosier7 said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

Why am I not surprised?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/15/microsoft-to-have-dedicated-servers-for-all-xbox-one-multiplayer-games.aspx

Wiggle out of THIS.