what games do you think has the longest lasting appeal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

I'm brining up this topic because i find myself losing interest in games pretty fast, even though i've waited for them for months or even years. I think part of my issue is always being on the up and up with what games are coming out that i don't have. For example, right now its TLoU, State of Decay and GTAV to name afew. However, i own over 60 games for both the PS3/360 and it never seems enough. I hardly play any of these games to the full extent. Take for example, Halo 4, BF3 and Black OPS 2. In each of these games you have you die hard fans, who have already maxed out their levels which only reflects how much they play these games.

I feel like if i'm dedicated to one game then i'm missing out on my other games. However, when i play my other games it feels like i'm missing out to be the best in one game by being dedicated to it. Thus, woe is me. I haven't found any middle ground with balancing out my games and trying to keep interest in my current games. I think part of the problem is these dam gaming sites to be honest. With all the previews and hype that surrounds games all i can think of is what i don't got versus what i do got.

So, to make this system wars related, between the PS3/360 how have you managed to get the most out of you games while becoming a master at them all.. Was it an exclusive game and for what console?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
WoW
Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Trinitarian
WoWMonsieurX
World of Warcraft, or WoW at my dumb post or both?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]WoWTrinitarian

World Of Warcraft
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
RPGs are longest lasting imo. JRPGs especially I think you can keep playing forever and ever. So handhelds have the longest lasting games. :P
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Sim City and Civ.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I could have played nothing but Borderlands 2 since launch, and not been done.
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]WoWMonsieurX

World Of Warcraft

Man this is totally true... prior to WoW I was an ordinary guy and was playing normal games and everything was fine.. Sometime in 2004 when I started playing WoW my whole world was ruined and was totally hooked, for like 4+ years I would almost do nothing but crave WoW. I've been in best guilds on the server with the best gear available still my lust was so big that I couldn't even sleep. It's like dope... as soon as you have your drug of choice you don't care about anything else. I was not talking to people.. my boss could see all the symptops of an addict and almost fired me, I was not even playing other games.

At some point in my life I just said "OKay man that's enough you need a rehab" so now I am clean for almost 5 years straight and have no urge to go back to wow. I've played all the games I missed and doing pretty good, my family is also proud of me, all my friends are proud as well. I can finally walk on the streets like a new changed man I am. Not an addict anymore, and it feels great, I find meaning in life once again. Life's Good

Truly yours an ex-addict!

/true story

Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
WoWMonsieurX
This. As much as I despise WoW now, I don't think I will ever dump as much time into any other game as I did that one. Obviously constant updates help and that is something you are paying for, but when you compare a $60 update of Sports Game '12 to Sports Game '13, it pales in comparison to what WoW offers.
Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Trinitarian

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="Trinitarian"] World of Warcraft, or WoW at my dumb post or both?V3rciS

World Of Warcraft

Man this is totally true... prior to WoW I was an ordinary guy and was playing normal games and everything was fine.. Sometime in 2004 when I started playing WoW my whole world was ruined and was totally hooked, for like 4+ years I would almost do nothing but crave WoW. I've been in best guilds on the server with the best gear available still my lust was so big that I couldn't even sleep. It's like dope... as soon as you have your drug of choice you don't care about anything else. I was not talking to people.. my boss could see all the symptops of an addict and almost fired me, I was not even playing other games.

At some point in my life I just said "OKay man that's enough you need a rehab" so now I am clean for almost 5 years straight and have no urge to go back to wow. I've played all the games I missed and doing pretty good, my family is also proud of me, all my friends are proud as well. I can finally walk on the streets like a new changed man I am. Not an addict anymore, and it feels great, I find meaning in life once again. Life's Good

Truly yours an ex-addict!

/true story

hey bro, lets go play some WoW. J/k. Gratz on overcoming such a hardship. Addictions come in all shapes and forms and having the character to overcome it is always admirable.
RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

WoW is still getting tons of expansions, does it still count in that case?

Otherwise I'd say games like Tetris

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i don't think you really need to do every little thing in a game to fully appreciate it. i mean, i consider dark souls and demon's souls to be among my favorite games ever, but i don't need to hit the absurdly high level cap to feel that way.

and yes, the hype machine is ridiculous with every other week having a game that's reportedly the next big thing according some website. there's some ideal of the mythical "real gamer" that plays every big budget release and thinks they're all wonderful that a lot of sites try to appeal to. that's garbage that devalues the good games. plenty of games suck and recognizing that is perfectly fine. it leads to a greater appreciation of the good ones. i often wonder if the people who buy 20 games a year and say they love them all ever really love any of the games they play.

as for what games have the most lasting appeal, i think it comes down to the quality of the game rather than how long it is. games like halo and call of duty have extremely high amounts of ranks and stuff to unlock not because it makes the game any better but because they don't want the player trading in their game to diminish their sales. however, i keep going back to a game like ico, which is only a few hours long, because i think it's a great design and it moves me.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
For me it's been Killing Floor
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

The PS1 Final Fantasy games have me come back every year or two, I cant help it.

SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts

Depends on the game. RPGs, Shooters, Sports and racing have all had long runs with me. NFL 2k5, Rainbow 6 3, EQ, Oblivion, Skyrim, Forza, etc I played all of them for years.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Open world RPGs and strategy games. After all these years, i still play Heroes of Might and Magic 3, once in a while.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
SCII
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Definitely open world games.

Been playing a load lately (LA Noir, Mafia 2, GTAIV, currently playing RDR) and usualy put at least 30 hours into each, if not more. Ill either go back to Skyrim or Fallout NV next, both of which ive already put like 100 hours into each.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

role playing games tend to have the best replay value. open world, sandbox games tend the have the greatest variety of activities.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Decent Sandbox style games like GTA IV and SkyRim. Games that can continuously get DLC to extend the life of the game. Games will great multiplayer content with goals that can take months to achieve. Unfortunately for me, I don't have the time to play a game to it's longevity. It's a miracle if I even finish a game. I get maybe 5-6hrs a week to actually play some games. Hoping to increase that time somewhere in the future.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

Fighting games, competitive games in general.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

2d side scrollers, particularly platformers.

If they're well designed then I'll play them for years to come. I still play SMB3, SMW, Yoshis Island, a few of the Contra games, Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, etc.. all the time and those games are ancient. I also regularly go back to the newer games like Trials, Super Meat Boy, the NSMB titles, DKCR, you name it.

Also honorable mention for Super Street Fighter 2, Ninja Gaiden Black and Ultimate MK3. I never get tired of those games.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#23 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Asides from building/simulation games like Civilization or Sim City and strategy games like Starcraft or AoE, I think MMOs take second while JRPGs take third
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

I guess you could say MMOs, but since I don't play MMOs, I'll go with open world games that give you a lot to do, while not feeling shallow and repetitive...

6_Shooter_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 6_Shooter_25
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts

The PS1 Final Fantasy games have me come back every year or two, I cant help it.

crimsonman1245
I have to agree with this guy. I think I've gone back to FFVII, VIII and IX an embarrassing number of times over the years, and sometimes I didn't even really get that far into them. I just wanted to experience that classic Final Fantasy atmosphere.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Its always going to be some sort of online game at the top of the list(of course its not ture for every individual gamer we all have diffrent prefrences) MMORPG although I get bored of them pretty fast they seem to have the most lasting appeal people can play those for so long thousands of hours on just one mmorpg. Next up would I'd say MOBA and MP FPS are tied for second imo so much replay value with the right game. I've put in collectively thousands of hours into various mp fps but the longest one was tf2 which I finally broke 1000+ hours this past year after playing it on and off since launch only the all 4 CS combined overtake it in total playtime.

Moba I've only played 3 Dota 2 and Hon + SMNC which is a third person shooter but with some moba elements very different from those other two but an awesome game once you get good at it. There some of the most rage inducing games and frusting games and losing/dieing sucks in these games but there still incredibly addicting and fun to play the more even matches and stomps in your favor make it worthwhile.

In third I'd say RTS is next I've enjoy a few but never really played them online that long or least not the base game Starcraft 1 and starcraft 2 the amount of hours I played was more due to the custom games then the base game although did enjoy normal matches and I can defiantly see the appeal there of playing matches and trying to perfect your game more and get better and better especially in sc2 with the ladder based match making.

Fourth I'd say fighters have alot of lasting appeal if you get into them alot of characters and plenty of complexity and like rts there always that drive to improve your game as there always someone better then you. Its especially true now that online play is the norm in them now so you always have someone to play with and your able to play against a much larger pool of people then locally.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

6_Shooter_25

I have to agree with this guy. I think I've gone back to FFVII, VIII and IX an embarrassing number of times over the years, and sometimes I didn't even really get that far into them. I just wanted to experience that classic Final Fantasy atmosphere.

That's how I am with Squares SNES library.

But honestly, I'm surprised so many people are mentioning rpgs. For me, they're among the least re-playable genres. They're usually lengthy, they take a while to really get going, once you know the story some of the magic is lost on a replay and the gameplay doesn't really give any instant gratification.

Just my opinion of course.

I always find action titles, platformers and fighters to be the easiest to revisit. You can jump right in and have fun immediately.

6_Shooter_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 6_Shooter_25
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts
I always find action titles, platformers and fighters to be the easiest to revisit. You can jump right in and have fun immediately.ConanTheStoner
You make a good point as well. There's no telling how many times I went back and played through DMC1 and 3 one more time, thinking that it was my last time to do so. Then a few months, or maybe a year or so, later I'd turn on my PS2 and play again. Well designed action games can be incredibly addictive. On the fighting game side, I'd say Virtua Fighter 4 stole many hours of my free time when it came out, as did Tekken 3 and 5. And platformers...don't get me started. In my opinion, they might be the purest form of fun that gaming has to offer.
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
WoWMonsieurX
Or Blizzard games in general. They do an awesome job of keeping they're stuff relevant.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

It's not about the length, it's about the fun you have going through the motions. Regardless, some genres that have long lasting appeal to me:

RPGs, multiplayer focused games, Simulation games, and Action/Adventure Sandbox games.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

2D platformers/side scrollers/beat 'em ups/shmups.

As long as the gameplay is smooth, I can pop in and play these types of games no matter how long it's been since their release. I also like coming back to these type of games, because they don't require me to invest a ridiculous amount of time and can be played in short intervals. Long games, I tend to play only once.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
Mirror's Edge. I go for a run twice a weak to stay fresh and vibrant.
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

2d side scrollers, particularly platformers.

If they're well designed then I'll play them for years to come. I still play SMB3, SMW, Yoshis Island, a few of the Contra games, Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, etc.. all the time and those games are ancient. I also regularly go back to the newer games like Trials, Super Meat Boy, the NSMB titles, DKCR, you name it.

Also honorable mention for Super Street Fighter 2, Ninja Gaiden Black and Ultimate MK3. I never get tired of those games.

ConanTheStoner

2D platformers/side scrollers/beat 'em ups/shmups.

As long as the gameplay is smooth, I can pop in and play these types of games no matter how long it's been since their release. I also like coming back to these type of games, because they don't require me to invest a ridiculous amount of time and can be played in short intervals. Long games, I tend to play only once.

Renegade_Fury
All of this ^
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
cs
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Strategy, MMO, RPG + hack&slash games for me. However, I probably spent the longest time on Monster Hunter series.
Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#36 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

WoWMonsieurX

cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

quake and duke nukem 3d and unreal is what started the damn online shooter craze and they will always do it best.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
anno 2070 has had me at 77 hours so far and still having a blast. I guess u can say Wow or someything on that line but you still must pay monthly. and with wow u have to buy the game along with the p2p which i find highy stupid
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
RTS'es/MMO's/MOBA's are the trifecta of lasting appeal.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
WoW or TF2. Mostly PC games.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

fighting games

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
Pokemon
meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

for me it's probably Dark Souls..even when I die over and over again on the same boss, I keep playing. I've made about 5 different characters..still haven't beaten the game yet.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

sandbox type of games.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
For me it would be open world WRPG's like Skyrim and fallout, i usually cloack around 500 hours on bethesda WRPG's
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Occasionally something really hooks me (Far Cry 3 just did) but I say if you want to keep moving from game to game, then do it. I'd rather get the most enjoyment out of my gaming time than worry about mastering any one game.
sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts
pokemon, always pokemon seem to just spend hours on hours.