What game this generation had the biggest impact on you?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
There was four... and I feel a fifth on the way. 1. TESIV: Oblivion ~ Stepping out of the sewers for the first time and catching a glimpse of a beautiful world was awe-striking. There was a feeling of grandeur I hadn't felt before (Oblivion was my first sandbox RPG) and having a massive world before me was dumb-founding 2. Dead Rising ~ My first venture into the world of 360 games was a life-changing one. Hundreds of zombies, anything can be used as a weapon, infinite replayability. Its a shame they didn't try to keep the series going forwards in the sequels (rather they just made more of the same). 3. Mass Effect ~ Space opera at its finest, and I was sucked in like light moving past the event horizon. The game sure shows its age now, and was surpassed by its successor... but that experience of first touching down on Presrop will never leave me. 4. Mirror's Edge ~ A game that came out of nowhere and smacked me upside the head with a brick. Amazing visuals, surreal environment and extraordinarily fluid movement. 5. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron ~ The demo and OST have already sold me on the game, and coming from the character designer for Okami and DMC along with music produced by those behind DMC, it is most likely going to be a godlike experience for me. This is going to be one of those artsy-fartsy games that tons of people are going to miss because of critical reception and people playing games as "games" rather than seeing them from an artistic perspective.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Demon's Souls, I crave for them. It's truly a gamers game, blending all the best parts of the past generations. The difficulty of the 4th gen, immersive atmosphere of the 5th gen, absorbing gameplay of the 6th gen and the online integration of this gen, but with a twist. Demon's Souls definitely has a lasting impression on me, so much so I have played it for over 300 hours and still want more souls....
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Demon's Souls, I crave for them. It's truly a gamers game, blending all the best parts of the past generations. The difficulty of the 4th gen, immersive atmosphere of the 5th gen, absorbing gameplay of the 6th gen and the online integration of this gen, but with a twist. Demon's Souls definitely has a lasting impression on me, so much so I have played it for over 300 hours and still want more souls....Swift_Boss_A

"Bring more Souls, Slayer of Demons"

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

call of duty :P

singleplayer...probably okami

family..wii sports definitely

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

5. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron ~ This is going to be one of those artsy-fartsy games that tons of people are going to miss because of critical reception and people playing games as "games" rather than seeing them from an artistic perspective.foxhound_fox
which is why I've been on the hype train since e3 2010 (actually been my most aniticpated title). I've been trying to spread the word on here, but the few threads I've created have gotten very few hits.

It's gained a little more recognition on system wars especially since you've started talking about it, but it probably still won't get the recognition it will deserve. I've just got my fingers crossed that it's everything that I've been wanting it to be.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

It seems like Mario saved a lot of gamers here.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I think Dead space for me. I know not a lot of people would say that. But I bought it at one point without hearing much about it at all. I read its name in a couple of magazines and stuff. But I just got it cos I had some cash for christmas and it was on sale. Then when I played it I was blown away by how good it was. I didn't have great expectations for it. But it really surprised me.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="Shawtymann"]

LittleBigPlanet 1 for me. I felt like a kid again the first time I played it. It was gaming bliss kinda like the first time I played GTA 3

Stringerboy

LBP? The game is boring as hell dude.

The game was an absolute blast with 3 of your friends.

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

League of Legends

JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

Guitar hero

Medal of honor (Only military shooter this gen showing what soldiers actuallygo through)

Bioshock 1 and 2

Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

Grand Theft Auto IV. First game to show me just what was possible with technology this generation. I realize it wasn't the first game to do something like that but it was the first one I played.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

RDR, L.A.Noire, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, BC2, Super Mario Galaxy, Oblivion, Crysis and Dead Space. IMO these were the finest games to come out this generation.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

bfbc2 cause its so darned fun

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]5. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron ~ This is going to be one of those artsy-fartsy games that tons of people are going to miss because of critical reception and people playing games as "games" rather than seeing them from an artistic perspective.TheGuardian03

which is why I've been on the hype train since e3 2010 (actually been my most aniticpated title). I've been trying to spread the word on here, but the few threads I've created have gotten very few hits.

It's gained a little more recognition on system wars especially since you've started talking about it, but it probably still won't get the recognition it will deserve. I've just got my fingers crossed that it's everything that I've been wanting it to be.

Hey now :P, i read your posts and that got me interested in the game, watched the e3 demoes fantastic art style i can't wait for it :P.

well I know you did! but what I meant was outside of 5-7 people :P

hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#70 hobo290
Member since 2007 • 408 Posts

Oblivion, - I spent so many hours on that game I lost count

Gears of War 1, - My First 360 game, Fun Campaign, and Balanced online Multiplayer, Spent a lot of hours on this too

ImNotAMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ImNotAMonkey
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts
super mario brothers: the video game
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#72 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

Mass Effect 2. Wonderful story, wonderful characters, great choice based progression, great, immersive universe, awesome cutscenes, great combat, and extremely fun combat.khoofia_pika

Took the words right out of my mouth.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="Shawtymann"]

LittleBigPlanet 1 for me. I felt like a kid again the first time I played it. It was gaming bliss kinda like the first time I played GTA 3

Stringerboy

tastes and opinions are amazing aren't they mr. stringer? what a unique world we live in...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Littlebigplanet. I was really interested in it the moment I saw the first trailer (filled with running, jumping, pushing, pulling, jetpacks and skateboards) and the final game lived up to my expectations. It did a lot of things I've never seen before in a platformer (the fact the world lived by a set of cartoon physics made for some very interesting level design/puzzles), and as a guy who has gamed for 34 years, I've played a lot of buttbouncers (there was a point in time where I got sick of them).

Of course, the reason I play LBP1 everyday since before I got into the LBP1 beta is the quality of the user created levels (LBP boasts an incredible creative community).

I play it by myself (there are some levels which are SP only, some levels which contain content my kids are a bit too young for and there are times I play while my kids are asleep) and with my daughters (who are both massive fans).

I've never created a level (I bought a book on game creation which have helped me understand the art a bit better, butit didn't turn lead into gold :P) but my kids and I do like using the create mode as a giant sandbox (my kids have built small communities filled with talking sackbots and I sometimes challenge myself to build a working mech or to design a dungeon room or something to that effect).

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

Stringerboy

tastes and opinions are amazing aren't they mr. stringer? what a unique world we live in...

Yes they are, as long as you're willing to refute my points then so be it. I apologise if I come of as condescending in some of my posts, but I found LBP boring and gave me no incentive to play.

i just see no point in singling out people's posts just because you disagree with them. the guy's not quoting anyone or comparing anything, and says LBP had a big impact on him and took him back to his younger days. you come back with "that game is boring as hell duder". and you're asking me to refute? lol

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

A year ago, if you told me i would be waking up at 4am to watch some korean dudes duking it out at a strategy game on a pay-to-watch live stream from Korea, I would laugh you off. Starcraft 2 truly changed my life. It's like a whole new hobby in itself.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lazerface216

Littlebigplanet. I was really interested in it the moment I saw the first trailer (filled with running, jumping, pushing, pulling, jetpacks and skateboards) and the final game lived up to my expectations. It did a lot of things I've never seen before in a platformer (the fact the world lived by a set of cartoon physics made for some very interesting level design/puzzles), and as a guy who has gamed for 34 years, I've played a lot of buttbouncers (there was a point in time where I got sick of them).

Of course, the reason I play LBP1 everyday since before I got into the LBP1 beta is the quality of the user created levels (LBP boasts an incredible creative community).

I play it by myself (there are some levels which are SP only, some levels which contain content my kids are a bit too young for and there are times I play while my kids are asleep) and with my daughters (who are both massive fans).

I've never created a level (I bought a book on game creation which have helped me understand the art a bit better, butit didn't turn lead into gold :P) but my kids and I do like using the create mode as a giant sandbox (my kids have built small communities filled with talking sackbots and I sometimes challenge myself to build a working mech or to design a dungeon room or something to that effect).

CarnageHeart

lol here's a fresh one for you stringer! another opinion differing from yours! get at him...

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

It is hard for me to say so soon; usually I can't say which games had the biggest impact on me until several years after the current gen has ended. But in terms of the best game I've played this gen, that would have to be Mass Effect.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

It is hard for me to say so soon; usually I can't say which games had the biggest impact on me until several years after the current gen has ended. But in terms of the best game I've played this gen, that would have to be Mass Effect.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Red Dead Redemption. I've never felt emotional attachment to a video game character before John Marston.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#82 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Nothing at all.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I'll get back to you after I play Catherine.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Stringerboy

lol here's a fresh one for you stringer! another opinion differing from yours! get at him...

Yer know, I totally could, but its like 4.am here and I'm not in the best of moods to be deconstructing a wall such as the one presented.

Maybe I just need to spend more time with LBP before I get a more solidified opinion, even if it pains me to do it.

yeah, maybe you should try that.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Animal Crossing Wild World

It really helped me out during middle school. I was having a tough time emotionally with teenage angst and all that, but animal crossing was like another world for me. It just relieved all the stress and got me through that time. I wouldn't call it a game, but an escape.