What exactly do people see in a Zelda game to get so hyped?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

Because their addicting and fun. You know, what a game should be!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#52 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@lightleggy said:

Is it just brand loyalty? Everybody went nuts at E3 with the Zelda trailer, I understand that Zelda appeals to an audience far bigger than just gamers...but what exactly do people see in it? Zelda gameplay has literally not evolved 1 bit since OoT (over 15 years ago) and as far as adventure genre goes, it's possibly the most shallow game of the genre.

Every other game like it, like the witcher, dark souls, or even skyrim is waaay better at the adventure genre than Zelda.

I mean seriously, Zelda is always like 4 steps back from the other games. 2015 and just now do they decide to try "open world" (which im pretty sure will either be extremely restrictive OR very small). The story is nothing special either, it's pretty mediocre and short, and filled with cliches of the saga (for example:the main villain switches halfway through the story). They just use the same recycled plot and change a few things to make it look a bit different.

Really at this point, Zelda has nothing going for its name other than brand loyalty.

That's false, there are different nuances, tweaks and full blown changes to the combat mechanics between the 3D Zelda games, which you'd know if you would play them back to back, and Skyward Sword's combat is completely different, so that point you raised is fundamentally, and painfully wrong.

Shallow? The series features far more puzzle solving and exploration than almost anything resembling an action-adventure game. Witcher, Dark Souls and Skyrim are RPGs that are worlds apart in differentiation from Zelda. Why would you even mention them? Because you thought that the Zelda series was of the RPG genre? You're wrong.

They already stated that the world won't be restrictive or small, and i'd rather take their word over yours. Just because the story is simplistic, doesn't make it bad.

Your thread is a joke.

^TC got sonned.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Not sure, last 2 games flopped.

A Link Between Worlds flopped? News to me, I thought it was GotY here last year, beating out competition like GTA5 and TLOU.

Last 2 console games flopped, better?

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

oh ok, well in that case TLOU got over 200 GOTYs and is sitting at what 95%?

I agree. It was an 8.5 in my eyes but the spectacular multiplayer boosted it to a 9. It deserved the praise it got.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Heil68 said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

A Link Between Worlds flopped? News to me, I thought it was GotY here last year, beating out competition like GTA5 and TLOU.

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

The Last of Us really was a fantastic game. Easily one of the best games of 2013 and among the best of last gen.

i just dont see the point of remastering it. or buying it for ps4. why not put the money into a new last of us? if it was so great u would think at least 90% has at least rented it and beat it. are people really gonna pay 60 bucks again just for updated graphics? we the gamers need to not support devs that are doing this, this is just a cheap money maker and it will make the devs lazy

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

They're hyped for it because there's nothing else to hype on the system. And for once its an open world game, something all other platforms have dozens of... but for a wiiu/wii its impressive because all you're getting is side scrollers and platformers 80% of the times.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@Heil68: The same reason cows still hype TLOU remake even though the PS3 version flopped. And same reason they still hype Uncharted 4 even though Golden Abyss flopped: Gamespot scores aren't everything.

Well ask Charz about SS and his love for that game.

Because he's the only Nintendo fan on this board whose opinion matters -_-

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@lightleggy said:

Is it just brand loyalty? Everybody went nuts at E3 with the Zelda trailer, I understand that Zelda appeals to an audience far bigger than just gamers...but what exactly do people see in it? Zelda gameplay has literally not evolved 1 bit since OoT (over 15 years ago) and as far as adventure genre goes, it's possibly the most shallow game of the genre.

Every other game like it, like the witcher, dark souls, or even skyrim is waaay better at the adventure genre than Zelda.

I mean seriously, Zelda is always like 4 steps back from the other games. 2015 and just now do they decide to try "open world" (which im pretty sure will either be extremely restrictive OR very small). The story is nothing special either, it's pretty mediocre and short, and filled with cliches of the saga (for example:the main villain switches halfway through the story). They just use the same recycled plot and change a few things to make it look a bit different.

Really at this point, Zelda has nothing going for its name other than brand loyalty.

Zelda games have a constant history of high scores and enjoyment from fans. Why wouldn't they get hyped. And stuff like Witch, dark souls and skyrim don't touch Zelda in areas of dungeon design for example. The puzzling aspect of Zelda is unmatched by any games in a similar genre.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

@lightleggy said:

Is it just brand loyalty? Everybody went nuts at E3 with the Zelda trailer, I understand that Zelda appeals to an audience far bigger than just gamers...but what exactly do people see in it? Zelda gameplay has literally not evolved 1 bit since OoT (over 15 years ago) and as far as adventure genre goes, it's possibly the most shallow game of the genre. First of all, it is action adventure, not adventure. Second, no it is not the most shallow, Assassin's Creed is.

Every other game like it, like the witcher, dark souls, or even skyrim is waaay better at the adventure genre than Zelda. Why the hell are you comparing 3 action RPGs to an action adventure? Also Skyrim is crap and should not be compared to any Zelda game.

I mean seriously, Zelda is always like 4 steps back from the other games. 2015 and just now do they decide to try "open world" (which im pretty sure will either be extremely restrictive OR very small) Did you not play Zelda 1? Also did you not see that trailer the open world looked pretty darn vast. The story is nothing special either, it's pretty mediocre and short, and filled with cliches of the saga (for example:the main villain switches halfway through the story) Why do games need a story? I play video games for gameplay personally, gaming stories are almost universally garbage save for a few games like PlaneScape: Torment. They just use the same recycled plot and change a few things to make it look a bit different. Plot is usually the thing I care the least about in most stories and see it mostly as a means to drive the characterization and themes forward. Not to mention, what does change with each zelda is the story's philosophy and side characters.

Really at this point, Zelda has nothing going for its name other than brand loyalty. Except for...

...gameplay, Level design, enemy design, soundtrack, art style, ammount of QUALITY content.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@monson21502 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The Last of Us really was a fantastic game. Easily one of the best games of 2013 and among the best of last gen.

i just dont see the point of remastering it. or buying it for ps4. why not put the money into a new last of us? if it was so great u would think at least 90% has at least rented it and beat it. are people really gonna pay 60 bucks again just for updated graphics? we the gamers need to not support devs that are doing this, this is just a cheap money maker and it will make the devs lazy

It does seem ridiculous, but we have to remember that not all platforms have games like the Wii U does. Those PS4 owners are so starved for greatness that they will gladly pay $60 for a fantastic game they just played less than a year ago. It's just smart business on Sony's part.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Yeah it has nothing going for it. lol The ignorance is staggering. Nintendo has high quality standards and it shows. Maybe if you actually played some of the games you would realize this. You don't need to like something to tell the obv.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

There's nothing else like Zelda really. Its dungeon/puzzle formula doesn't change much in each game but it's so unique that I don't mind at all. And the small changes they do are for the better, like SS combat. Also, no 2 Zelda have the same vibe..... call them rehashes if you want but they all feel different.

I'm always hyped for new Zelda. Why? Because I know I will enjoy it. Plain and simple.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@Zassimick said:

I'd have to disagree about the gameplay not evolving "1 bit since OoT." Someone didn't play Skyward Sword...

To answer the question: because I know it will be a quality game that even at it's worst will probably be better than a majority of games on the market. And it's an incredibly journey forged around a core theme, utilizing its simplicity to create an inspired adventure.

That, and every other game has been stellar so why not be hyped? Why am I and many others also hyped for Uncharted 4 when we barely saw anything for that?

I actually did played Skyward sword, Or should I say ocarina of sword?

There were no big gameplay additions, Heck I wouldn't even consider the bird to be an addition since it's basically just a faster epona.

Its the same formula we've been seeing for all these years.

You actually think skyward sword and ocarina of time are the same game? Those two games couldn't be more different....

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#63  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I agree that Zelda is stuck in the past. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess both branch out a bit but the games still aren't evolving the formula. They really ought to take a page from WRPGs. The game engine they are still using is based on the limitations of the N64

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@lightleggy:

1) Nostalgia

2) Because there isnt any alternative , its one of a kind

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#65 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I actually came to Zelda late. I never had a Nintendo console as a kid, so I started playing Zelda as an adult. The games are fun, its just that simple. I feel no need to dissect into why, or gameplay, story, what other games do better. The games are fun to play.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Mostly nostalgia I think.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

There is more evolution in one Zelda dungeon than most other full games. Open world is great, and Skyrim is a nice experience and all... but any 1 dungeon from any of the latest Zelda games has more innovation than all of Skyrim's cavers/dens/locations combined.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Agree for a part.

Zelda is just a very solid and good adventure game...but that's it.

There are better franchises than Zelda, although most fans are blinded by nostalgia to accept this fact.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@lightleggy said:

The Witcher series is a dark RPG franchise with a serviceable, but not particularly great combat system; it also completely lacks puzzles, one of the defining elements of the Zelda franchise. I don't know why you would even compare it to Zelda. Dark Souls is similar, but again, a very different experience in numerous ways (art style, combat difficulty, tone, lack of puzzles). Skyrim? Really? A first person RPG with horrendous combat and zero puzzles? Those games hardly replace Zelda--something like Darksiders 2 might.

And who gives a shit about the plots in a Zelda game!?

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@lightleggy said:

Zelda games are generally well paced and quite frankly i have yet to play a Zelda game that i would call bad, Brand loyalty has nothing to do with it, You would be better to call it game loyalty and thats the thing about nintendo, it' not about being loyal to nintendo it's about being loyal to the games Because there first party games are second to none in the market in my opinion which is why super mario galaxy is a 10 here on GS.

Donkey kong, Super Mario, Metroid and Zelda, how many franchises have you seen last as long as them? not very many.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Heil68 said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

And lost to a handheld Zelda game here. Ouch.

To be fair, it was 60fps Zelda. A game whose framerate tanked to the low 20s every time you were in a remotely open environment didn't stand a chance.

@delta3074 The only ones I disliked were the DS ones that had you use the stylus to control Link's movement. Really didn't like that control scheme.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#72 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I ask myself this same question about Halo and Killzone.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#73  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

There are better franchises than Zelda, although most fans are blinded by nostalgia to accept this fact.

lol

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

I recommend the exercise below, seems like you might need it.

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Because Zelda games are fun, just knowing that a new one is on its way is reason enough to get stoked.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#76  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

lame troll is lame

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

I see that the OP is every bit as well versed when it comes to Zelda as he is when it comes to Mario.

That is to say, not at all.

Great topic btw.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

Nostalgia.. Next question.

^^^ THIS the series just brings back memories. Same reason people like old cars even when new cars are better across the board.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

That's a good question. Nintendo is all about rehashes now.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#80 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12322 Posts

Nostalgia and the fact that they tend to be pretty great games.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Because Zelda games are fun, just knowing that a new one is on its way is reason enough to get stoked.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ConanTheStoner

lol

Love seeing the nostalgia card thrown around. It's a sure fire sign that you have no point to make.

Chances are that the Zelda series evolves more from one iteration to the next than your favorite game series.

Stay ignorant guys.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#83 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Nostalgia.. Next question.

^^^ THIS the series just brings back memories. Same reason people like old cars even when new cars are better across the board.

Which is why instead of coming up with new designs, Dodge, Chevrolet and Ford have spent the last decade pulling design cues from the 1960's for their top-of-the-line sports cars.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Can't I enjoy playing games?

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 no-scope-AK47

@ConanTheStoner said:

lol

Love seeing the nostalgia card thrown around. It's a sure fire sign that you have no point to make.

Chances are that the Zelda series evolves more from one iteration to the next than your favorite game series.

Stay ignorant guys.

Yeah great story uh no that's not it. Umm great graphics uh no dice. Great voice acting nah that can't be it. Huge worlds uh no. Great multiplayer lolz ect....

Best thing about zelda is the puzzles and the music that brings back memories.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ConanTheStoner

I have a question for you nostalgia guys though. Maybe you can help clear up some confusion for me.

It seems that you guys are saying that nostalgia alone can carry a series through the decades and keep it relevant.

Personally, there are a lot of series I enjoyed back in the day that are still going now that I won't even touch.

I loved the Sonic games way back when... why is it that nostalgia doesn't keep me interested now?

I was a big fan of the Mortal Kombat games back in the day... why is it that until MK9 the series was pretty much dead to me?

The Final Fantasy series is probably the most nostalgia inducing series I can think of... yet it's completely dead to me now.

I could go on, but I guess you get the idea. How exactly does nostalgia work then? How is it that Zelda can maintain such a major following and still be a very relevant series today if it's all about the nostalgia?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Yeah great story uh no that's not it. Umm great graphics uh no dice. Great voice acting nah that can't be it. Huge worlds uh no. Great multiplayer lolz ect....

Hmmm great gameplay? I understand that you new age gamers are looking for movies in your gaming purchases, but some of us are still actually gamers.

I'll still address your points though.

The story in Zelda is very minimal. Yet somehow it's still easier to swallow than the majority of the crap stories that this industry churns out regularly.

Great graphics? Actually yes, the games look pretty damn nice. Not the kinds of great graphics you can fit into a spread sheet to post on SW. If you're a by the numbers guy and great graphics to you means a developer giving you a list of resolutions and poly counts, well yeah. I guess you won't be too impressed.

Voice acting? Is this truly a requirement for enjoying a game? Especially when the vast majority of spoken dialogue in games is cringe worthy?

Ahh, and it must have multiplayer. Again, new age gamer. I feel for ya man.

Edit: Didn't see your mention of huge worlds before. Apparently this game has one. As a matter of fact, the Zelda series has typically had larger worlds than your average game. But again, you haven't been gaming long so I do understand why you'd be mistaken.

But even so. Is this a requirement for a good game? When looking back at your all time favorite games, or the all time highest rated games, did they all have huge worlds? Probably not.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 no-scope-AK47

@ConanTheStoner said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Hmmm great gameplay? I understand that you new age gamers are looking for movies in your gaming purchases, but some of us are still actually gamers.

The story in Zelda is very minimal. Yet somehow it's still easier to swallow than the majority of the crap stories that this industry churns out regularly.

Great graphics? Actually yes, the games look pretty damn nice. Not the kinds of great graphics you can fit into a spread sheet to post on SW. If you're a by the numbers guy and great graphics to you means a developer giving you a list of resolutions and poly counts, well yeah. I guess you won't be too impressed.

Voice acting? Is this truly a requirement for enjoying a game? Especially when the vast majority of spoken dialogue in games is cringe worthy?

Clearly games have advanced and Nintendo is stuck in the past as they are missing most of the features of the top games. You give a new gamer a Zelda game and without the nostalgia it frankly won't blow you away. So who finds Zelda games amazing = old school gamers who are invested in the series.

Shit zelda does NOT even have dolby digital 5.1 sound it's sad really.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

With as starved for games as they are, you could put a rock in front of a Nintendo fanboy, tell them it's Mario, and they'd be frothing at the mouth.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ConanTheStoner

Bro, it sounds to me like you just have the wrong hobby. You seem to talk about everything except for gameplay and fun.

I'm sure there is a Movie Wars type forum somewhere that would suit you perfectly.

And no, I see people picking up the series and losing their shit about how awesome it is on a fairly regular basis.

Your final statement makes me think you're just trolling and if so, then I commend you. Got me good.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#91  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Several reasons Zelda is still relevant.

Nintendo has consistently kept the series at high quality. They change the series enough to keep it feeling fresh; however familiar enough to feel familiar.

This series does bring feelings of nostalgia. I recently introduced my daughter to Windwaker HD and she absolutely loves the game. It is kind of hard for her age level, but it does not deter her.

I could go on, but play some of the series and just enjoy it for what it is.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PsychoLemons

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Clearly games have advanced and Nintendo is stuck in the past as they are missing most of the features of the top games. You give a new gamer a Zelda game and without the nostalgia it frankly won't blow you away. So who finds Zelda games amazing = old school gamers who are invested in the series.

Then what's your thoughts on Indie games then if they don't have those 'requirements'?

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

i don't get it either. the game is like a dark souls without story. only dungeon crawling for 5 year olds. while looking like an irish work girl on Halloween night trying to save an even bigger work girl from her pimp. I tell ya brehs, this level of storytelling is whats killing the gaming industry. not journalism. not piracy. this shit right here. people pirate because of games like this. people hate journalism because of games like this. games that get a free pass and slapped with a 9/10 because nostagia.

>"oh my gut this game brought back so many childhood memories from like 2 years ago, I must give it a perfect score now ;_; "

>9/10

> because Nintedorks can't count to 10. they're still in Elementary School hue

#Essays4Dumbledore

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#94  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Zelda Wii-U will be the game that saves the Wii-U.

It's just a great game in general. None of them really disappoints, but I feel they have learned from their mistakes on Skyward Sword.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

"Every other game like it, like the witcher, dark souls, or even skyrim is waaay better at the adventure genre than Zelda" Yeap. Stopped reading there. You really thinks that Zelda is the same genre of those games? Completely different genres and experiences. And yes i played all those games. When i saw the trailer i got the same feeling that i got when sony showed the Last Guardian Trailer. And epic feeling. Can't wait for this game.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 no-scope-AK47

@ConanTheStoner said:

Bro, it sounds to me like you just have the wrong hobby. You seem to talk about everything except for gameplay and fun.

I'm sure there is a Movie Wars type forum somewhere that would suit you perfectly.

And no, I see people picking up the series and losing their shit about how awesome it is on a fairly regular basis.

Your final statement makes me think you're just trolling and if so, then I commend you. Got me good.

I did troll you got me but Nintendo needs to reboot the series. Obviously gameplay is good but you need more than that and this is where IMO the Zelda series has gone stale. I look at it like this I have a ps3 and a ps4 I have nba2k 14 on both. The gameplay is basically identical but the experience on the ps4 is much better.

I was not kidding about the lack of dolby digital 5,1 sound either it's true. So while Zelda will have the gameplay I hope that Nintendo will add the features. Would be nice to have a good story and some decent voice acting. A darker more serious Zelda with a moral dilemma for Link who has been kicking ass for over 20 years would be a start.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

At one time I thought Zelda was the greatest thing ever and it set the bar for all other adventure games, but it has all been downhill since Majora's Mask. I agree that Zelda is now stale and pales in comparison to other games in the genre.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@PsychoLemons said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Then what's your thoughts on Indie games then if they don't have those 'requirements'?

Indie games are cheap humble bundle games not big name games with 25 years of history as a 1st party developer.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ConanTheStoner

@no-scope-AK47 said:

I did troll you got me but Nintendo needs to reboot the series. Obviously gameplay is good but you need more than that and this is where IMO the Zelda series has gone stale. I look at it like this I have a ps3 and a ps4 I have nba2k 14 on both. The gameplay is basically identical but the experience on the ps4 is much better.

I was not kidding about the lack of dolby digital 5,1 sound either it's true. So while Zelda will have the gameplay I hope that Nintendo will add the features. Would be nice to have a good story and some decent voice acting. A darker more serious Zelda with a moral dilemma for Link who has been kicking ass for over 20 years would be a start.

Ok, now we're having a legit discussion, thank you.

I would absolutely agree that the series has gone stale. For all the changes they have made from game to game, there are certain staples that started to wear me down. It does seem that this newest one is looking to make some meaningful progression, but obviously we haven't seen enough to say either way. I'm hoping for the best though.

As for VA, I guess I'll just never care. The amount of games with VA that don't make me cringe are so few in number. If they did have VA in Zelda I would want it to go the route of say, Shadow of the Colossus.. an other-worldly language that does not exist. Have them speaking Hylian as I read the subs. That would work for me.

Zelda has gone a relatively darker route before and it was good. Majoras Mask. And to me, while it may not be as dark as some gamers would want, that's about the extent of where I want this series to go in that regard. If handled well, I would be willing to give something darker a try, but it's not something that I feel is missing from the series.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 PsychoLemons

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@PsychoLemons said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Indie games are cheap humble bundle games not big name games with 25 years of history as a 1st party developer.

I don't see what's the problem there. Since when power was determine how well a game is good or not? Or let alone funding?

I mean you can spend millions on making a game with all the power it can get and it still be a terrible game.

Did you stop having fun playing games or something?