What Do You Think Of SHOCK Reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

what do you think of reviews that exaggerate how bad something is and docks points just to get more clicks? a good example would be that polygon review of dragon's crown. they purposely handed it over to a hardcore feminist to review..

gamespots been doing this a lot lately. their lost planet 3 and RE6 reviews were just terrible. i'm not saying theyre amazing games but they didn't deserve those scores. they did a similar thing with TLOU, purposely going against the grain and giving it a lower score than anyone else. it just seemed like gamespot tries to be harsh and edgy sometimes to stir up the fanboys so it'll translate into more clicks. they're definietly not the only ones that do this though

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
Mc Shea is the very definition of this and it's poor journalism.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
I dont take much stock in any reviews.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Don't care about reviews.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Mc Shea is the very definition of this and it's poor journalism.Ghost120x
Video game reviews aren't journalism.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
don't care. there are only a handful of reviewers who's stuff I actually care to read
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
If the intent is to get hits through shocking controversy/sensationalism, then that's bad. Differing viewpoints and opinions are always welcome. Sometimes I think people mix the two up in their perception.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

they did a similar thing with TLOU, purposely going against the grain and giving it a lower score than anyone else.

black_chamber99

tom wasn't the only reviewer to score it below AAA level and his score wasn't the lowest the game received.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

They're shocking.

When I see a review posting, I guess the score in my head right before I click. For example, when I saw TLOU review, I said in my head "9.5 in the bag", and then I saw the 8.0 and I was :shock:SHOCKED:shock:!. I then spent the next 6 hours of my life raging and damage controlling a game that I still haven't even played.

Good times

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I don't care about them. Reviewers are people like anyone else, their opinion on sexism is still just opinion. I don't have to agree.
I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

A review is just one persons opinion, and different people have different opinions so not everyone will agree!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
I dont take much stock in any reviews.wolverine4262
True. Thankfully I don't base my judgement of a game on one idiots review. Half the times they are completely wrong in my opinion anyways.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I don't care about them. Reviewers are people like anyone else, their opinion on sexism is still just opinion. I don't have to agree.LustForSoul

Game reviewers have imo delved too far into just giving their subjective opinions of games, so much so that I feel most people don't really pay attention to them anymore (much like movie reviews).

It'd be nice if there was a more balanced approach of subjective opinion and an objective measurement of the competency of a game.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

[QUOTE="LustForSoul"]I don't care about them. Reviewers are people like anyone else, their opinion on sexism is still just opinion. I don't have to agree.topgunmv

Game reviewers have imo delved too far into just giving their subjective opinions of games, so much so that I feel most people don't really pay attention to them anymore (much like movie reviews).

It'd be nice if there was a more balanced approach of subjective opinion and an objective measurement of the competency of a game.

Been asking for this for a while.. they need a certain guideline to judge a game... not just pull a number up your ass and make excuses for it.

black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 black_chamber99

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"]

they did a similar thing with TLOU, purposely going against the grain and giving it a lower score than anyone else.

CaseyWegner

tom wasn't the only reviewer to score it below AAA level and his score wasn't the lowest the game received.

I meant out of the respected websites
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"]

black_chamber99

:|

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
You must be refering to CowSpot and the articles that Eddie Makuch writes. Eddie "the cow" Makuch.
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 black_chamber99

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

:|

no one gives a rats ass about quarter to three or rotten pixels for example
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
It's not a bad thing to point out the faults. Why is it necessary to give out 9s and 10s left and right?
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#20 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

It's shameful journalism. It's the reviewers job to give a fair review of the game, not to give to it a shock score for lulz and hits. Every time I read a poorly written review of a major release, riddled with poor excuses just to give it a lower score (Screen being black-and-white too much in inFamous 2, Simpsons Arcade staying true to the original like a rerelease is supposed to, pretty much every control-related "issue" brought up in the Skyward Sword "review", etc.), than what the game averages from a Web site, I lose a lot of respect for the reviewer, and to a lesser extent, the Web site entirely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
ITT: A bunch of pathetic crybabies who can't get over a reviewer having opinions.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
Feedbackula ammo
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Shock reviews are the norm here. That's how poor the reviews are.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#24 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Simpsons Arcade staying true to the original like a rerelease is supposed to

It wasn't a very good beat em up shortly after release and it's a terrible beat em up when compared to others in the genre now, that sounds like a pretty good reason to give it a low score.
ITT: A bunch of pathetic crybabies who can't get over a reviewer having opinions.darkspineslayer
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
All game "journalism" is ridiculously terrible.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
When I notice a pattern of trolling and fishing for hits, I ignore that reviewer entirely, typical example: Tom Chick from quatertowhateverthefvckitis. Mcshea, not so much.
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 black_chamber99
It's not a bad thing to point out the faults. Why is it necessary to give out 9s and 10s left and right?percech
never said such a thing
hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
For those of you who don't care about critic reviews, I have a feeling you will if they were written better. I reckon reviews now a days are too subjective and in some cases, does not reflect what gamers feel about a title at all. Reviews need to be more comprehensive and develop a system to qualitatively judges the different qualities of the title.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
For those of you who don't care about critic reviews, I have a feeling you will if they were written better. I reckon reviews now a days are too subjective and in some cases, does not reflect what gamers feel about a title at all. Reviews need to be more comprehensive and develop a system to qualitatively judges the different qualities of the title.hoplayletsplay
If you can come up with a objective system of rating something that is by nature, subjective, you will be a very rich man. I shail consider investing if you take up the challenge.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 topgunmv

[QUOTE="hoplayletsplay"]For those of you who don't care about critic reviews, I have a feeling you will if they were written better. I reckon reviews now a days are too subjective and in some cases, does not reflect what gamers feel about a title at all. Reviews need to be more comprehensive and develop a system to qualitatively judges the different qualities of the title.darkspineslayer
If you can come up with a objective system of rating something that is by nature, subjective, you will be a very rich man. I shail consider investing if you take up the challenge.

Gamespot already had such a system.

"All games were judged on five different categories: Gameplay, Graphics, Sound, Value, and Reviewer's Tilt. Each category is assigned an integer score from one to ten, and these five integers are combined using a weighted average to arrive at an overall score."

Via wikipedia.

Tilt was the part where a reviewer was allowed to inject their personal taste into the equation.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
I only use Metacritics. It's the most reliable source.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#32 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="hoplayletsplay"]For those of you who don't care about critic reviews, I have a feeling you will if they were written better. I reckon reviews now a days are too subjective and in some cases, does not reflect what gamers feel about a title at all. Reviews need to be more comprehensive and develop a system to qualitatively judges the different qualities of the title.topgunmv

"All games were judged on five different categories: Gameplay, Graphics, Sound, Value, and Reviewer's Tilt. Each category is assigned an integer score from one to ten, and these five integers are combined using a weighted average to arrive at an overall score."

Via wikipedia.

Tilt was the part where a reviewer was allowed to inject their personal taste into the equation.

You do realize that how much a person enjoys a games visual style also effects their score of graphics, how much they enjoy and how much experience they have with a genre will effect their score for gameplay, and their personal musical taste will effect what they think of sound right?

Are you really saying that with that scale if a person just hated everything about the game personally that they would still be able to give it a score in every category and that the decided upon score would likely be the mean of what the entire gaming world thinks?

Then, didn't tilt and gameplay make up more of the score then anything else. So if someone gave the game a low tilt score the review wouldn't be very different it would still be about 1.5 points lower just from that alone ignoring the possiblity of giving Gameplay 1 less then somewhere else which would make the game score 2 points lower.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] If you can come up with a objective system of rating something that is by nature, subjective, you will be a very rich man. I shail consider investing if you take up the challenge. Legolas_Katarn

Via wikipedia.

You do realize that how much a person enjoys a games visual style also effects their score of graphics, how much they enjoy and how much experience they have with a genre will effect their score for gameplay, and their personal musical taste will effect what they think of sound right?

Are you really saying that with that scale if a person just hated everything about the game personally that they would still be able to give it a score in every category and that the decided upon score would likely be the mean of what the entire gaming world thinks?

Then, didn't tilt and gameplay make up more of the score then anything else. So if someone gave the game a low tilt score the review wouldn't be very different it would still be about 1.5 points lower just from that alone ignoring the possiblity of giving Gameplay 1 less then somewhere else which would make the game score 2 points lower.

Everything except tilt was based on a comparison with similar games in the genre, not the reviewers personal opinion of the game/genre. If the reviewer is ass at first person shooters for example, but the controls are at least as competant as other games in the genre, then they can't just give gameplay a 1 because they're terrible a fps games.

With the exception of extreme art styles like Wind Waker, or extreme control styles like the wii, it's a fairly straightforward system