What did it for you?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

When did you start looking elsewhere for actual credible and conceivable reviews?

What was it that did it for you?

What GameSpot screw up raised your red flag?

I never really trusted Microspot...I remember back in the years when we discovered the Cnet connection and discovered MS owned Cnet and we started putting all the pieces together.

Either way...the double standards has always been clear. GS holds Sony games to much higher standards than they do other games. This is obvious because they can never explain why they give a game a bad score...

"Oh the game is perfect and all, but Elle doesn't hand you a tissue when you get a nose bleed...a 2/200!"

Why do you have it out for sony so much, Gamespot? Why?

It's clear they do. Can't change it either way so what can we do?...At least use the money to fix the stupid site already!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26105 Posts

Around 2008, Gamespot reviews started to sound and read like product descriptions found on the back of the box. They rarely bothered to go deeper into the game and talk about aspects outside of the obvious selling points.

When Youtube Let's Plays took off, I stopped looking at reviews entirely.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts
  1. 2008: MGS4
  2. 2009: Demon's Souls
  3. 2012: Journey

"Microspot..."

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

I wish you would get over your fucking conspiracy about Gamespot''s scores. Ryse and Powerstar Golf were under-rated here as well and nothing Gamespot's reviewer claimed made me like those games less. Just like nothing you Cows say makes me like my XBONE less.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Honestly when GS game MGS3 a score of less then 9 in 2004 while in the same year gave halo 2 a high AAA. I knew something was wrong with their critical opinion at that point.

GS Demon's Souls GOTY award was one of the few instances they were completely on spot with their conclusion. But they are not a very consistent place to look for credible information about the quality of games on a steady basis.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

"Microspot..."

4. 2013: Forza 5

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I stopped caring about review scores in 2005 when Gamespot gave Battlefield 2 a 9.2(?)/10 and I brought it home the same day and had nothing but trouble getting it running. It took almost three weeks and a couple patches for it to actually run, and I was beyond the minimum specifications required to play it.

I stopped caring about reading reviews some time several (4-5) years ago when I realized myself and my close, real-life friends have more to offer me in terms of constructive feedback regarding games I should play than people I know nothing about online.

You TC though, seem very upset about how Gamespot rates their games, and seem to take them very seriously.

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 K1ngd0m4g3rul3z
Member since 2013 • 179 Posts

Gamespot has always been a joke for anyone with half a brain that doesn't live by a reviewer's score.

Same goes for a lot of other sites, mind you.

But yes it got worse around 2007-2008.

Dragon Age 2 review was the final nail in the coffin.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

So much butthurt. So much meltdown.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Reviews were always just a thing to claim ownage on.

Some of my favorite games were scored below average and fanboys will always call a game in the 8 or 9 range trash.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By John_Matherson

@lundy86_4 said:

"Microspot..."

Hmmm....

No weather system
14 tracks for a "racing sim"
200 cars for a "racing sim"
Comparing an 8th gen game on a less than one year old system to a 7th gen game on a 7 year old system just to make the visuals that are already supposed to look good look good...Yet the 7 year old system's game still shatters every possible non-subjective aspect of the new 8th gen system's game...And yet the 8th gen new game gets the higher score...Hmmm...

THE GOOD
Ellie is immediately likable and exhibits poignant growth
Tense combat encounters with plenty of flexibility
Crafting system demands environmental investigation
Slow-paced, rewarding competitive multiplayer
Excellent sound design and moving score
THE BAD
Supporting characters are rarely sympathetic
Combat contains too many immersion-breaking exploits
Attractive visuals
Challenging cooperative play
THE BAD
Jarring transition between different modes
Some multiplayer elements are poorly explained

I wish you would get over your fucking conspiracy about Gamespot''s scores. Ryse and Powerstar Golf were under-rated here as well and nothing Gamespot's reviewer claimed made me like those games less. Just like nothing you Cows say makes me like my XBONE less.

When have I ever been known to let things go?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

^buyer's remorse. XD

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Ratchet N Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. Haven't bothered reading a review or preview from GS since. I only use this site for the forums.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

When a Playstation game gets AAA, or even the much coveted AAAA, Gamespot scores are LAW. And we hear, "you can't run to metacritic, we go by GS scores here, noob". I mean the MGS4 score here is never questioned, and referring to other sites is forbidden.

When the score isn't what was expected, "ohhhh gamespot has no credibility, just look at IGN, Eurogamer, and {{shock}} metacritic!! THEY know the deal"

Typical hypocrisy. :rolls eyes:

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 timbers_WSU

@John_Matherson said:

@lundy86_4 said:

"Microspot..."

Hmmm....

No weather system

14 tracks for a "racing sim"

200 cars for a "racing sim"

Comparing an 8th gen game on a less than one year old system to a 7th gen game on a 7 year old system just to make the visuals that are already supposed to look good look good...Yet the 7 year old system's game still shatters every possible non-subjective aspect of the new 8th gen system's game...And yet the 8th gen new game gets the higher score...Hmmm...

THE GOOD
Ellie is immediately likable and exhibits poignant growth
Tense combat encounters with plenty of flexibility
Crafting system demands environmental investigation
Slow-paced, rewarding competitive multiplayer
Excellent sound design and moving score
THE BAD
Supporting characters are rarely sympathetic
Combat contains too many immersion-breaking exploits
Attractive visuals
Challenging cooperative play
THE BAD
Jarring transition between different modes
Some multiplayer elements are poorly explained

When have I ever been known to let things go?

Well I was told that after 9 months of continuous stalking, you finally gave up on you and your sister going out on a date. So that's something....

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John_Matherson

@AdobeArtist said:

When a Playstation game gets AAA, or even the much coveted AAAA, Gamespot scores are LAW. And we hear, "you can't run to metacritic, we go by GS scores here, noob". I mean the MGS4 score here is never questioned, and referring to other sites is forbidden.

When the score isn't what was expected, "ohhhh gamespot has no credibility, just look at IGN, Eurogamer, and {{shock}} metacritic!! THEY know the deal"

Lems are the ones who originally came up with that rule to begin with because it was very convenient for them in the early PS3 days. SO yes you're right when a game gets an AAA here we rub it in their faces because a rule they created is working against them

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John_Matherson

@timbers_WSU said:

Well I was told that after 9 months of continuous stalking, you finally gave up on you and your sister going out on a date. So that's something....

Your parents must be proud.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

Lems are the ones who originally came up with that rule to begin with because it was very convenient for them in the early PS3 days. SO yes you're right when a game gets an AAA here we rub it in their faces because a rule they created is working against them

How would you even know?

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 John_Matherson

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

How would you even know?

Because I know.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

How would you even know?

Because I know.

Ah, so just making shit up. Business as usual

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 timbers_WSU

@John_Matherson said:

@timbers_WSU said:

If they were still alive I would ask them but me and my Dad was close so I am sure he was proud. Since I am not religious and think the concept of God is a joke that is only believed by people with weak minds who are scared to die......I am gonna think that yes, they were proud.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Media sites such as gametrailers, IGN and gamespot are afraid of "new media" i.e. assholes on youtube. So now they have made there websites appear to be assholes from youtube.

Weekly advertisements shows are the order of the day my chums. With wacky photoshops of staff looking cookie against backdrops. It's pretty funny when people make faces. They are aiming for a sophisticated audience. Reality check with that 20 something uni looking student i totally empathize and identify with and that 15 year old Australian girl really raise the bar for gamespot. I'm glad that fat man from gaintbomb left.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By John_Matherson

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

How would you even know?

Because I know.

You do realize I've been in and out of GS, G4, IGN, IRC chats, Gamesurge and just about any online gaming sites you can think of right? I remember it all like it was just yesterday...

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AdobeArtist  Moderator

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

Don't deflect the issue. If you, or anybody else reverses their stance on defending or dismissing the scores of this site by what ever is convenient, then you forfeit the right to complain about the scores.

Accept that there is always variances across sites, this is just another opinion like all the others, and move on. Complaining about it doesn't discredit the site in question, it only discredits yourself.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John_Matherson

@timbers_WSU said:

@John_Matherson said:

@timbers_WSU said:

If they were still alive I would ask them but me and my Dad was close so I am sure he was proud. Since I am not religious and think the concept of God is a joke that is only believed by people with weak minds who are scared to die......I am gonna think that yes, they were proud.

Didn't ask for your bio. Keep your views on religion to yourself. Nobody likes that guy who has to put down others. I'm done responding to you.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

How would you even know?

Because I know.

You do realize I've been in and out of GS, G4, IGN, IRC chats, Gamesurge and just about any online gaming sites you can think of right? I remember it all like it was just yesterday...

Bitch I don't know your life!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib

@AdobeArtist said:

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

Don't deflect the issue. If you, or anybody else reverses their stance on defending or dismissing the scores of this site by what ever is convenient, then you forfeit the right to complain about the scores.

Accept that there is always variances across sites, this is just another opinion like all the others, and move on. Complaining about it doesn't discredit the site in question, it only discredits yourself.

Well it's not like he had any credibility before

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 John_Matherson

@AdobeArtist said:

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

More of an observation than a complaint. I've addressed the issue of hypocrisy and made numerous threads on the subject before. I know it's the foundation of Sys Wars...And no I don't dismiss on what's convenient for me. That something I personally would never do. I know how to play the fanboy game and have laughs without being a hypocrite. I've addressed other non cow/ps3/ps4 gamespot review hunches before.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdobeArtist  Moderator

@John_Matherson said:

You joined either on Aug 8, or Apr 4 (not sure how Gamespot sets their dates, month or day first) in 2013. So you are hardly in a position to be talking about the state of the forums from the past 6 years.

And lostrib, much as I am loath to agree with John here, religion ( as well as politics) has no place in SW. In fact we should just keep all family backgrounds out of the discussion.

Let's keep things on track everybody, thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I've always read from multiple places, i just gradually drifted away as to the point now that i don't even look at GS reviews. A few youtubers slipped in to replace them as i find they're more like normal gamers and i can get more footage rather than the trailer footage that's in a lot of video reviews.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

Cows really are the worst subset of fanboys.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 John_Matherson

@AdobeArtist said:

@John_Matherson said:

You joined either on Aug 8, or Apr 4 (not sure how Gamespot sets their dates, month or day first) in 2013. So you are hardly in a position to be talking about the state of the forums from the past 6 years.

And lostrib, much as I am loath to agree with John here, religion ( as well as politics) has no place in SW. In fact we should just keep all family backgrounds out of the discussion.

I've been on gs for a very long time...And I've been on the other sites too for a long time. long history oflost accounts, forgotten ones, getting bored leaving coming back and.so forth. I know my Sys wars history.

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

that time i got banned for 7 days for saying 2d fighting games suck

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@John_Matherson said:

I've been on gs for a very long time...And I've been on the other sites too for a long time. long history oflost accounts, forgotten ones, getting bored leaving coming back and.so forth. I know my Sys wars history.

"lost accounts", hmm? What was the names of these accounts that you lost the passwords to? :)

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By John_Matherson

@CrumUnderMe said:

LMAOO It's an awesome feeling when you're in the middle of an argument with a mod and you attempt to respond only to find you've been suspended or banned...Like dude...argue without abusing your powers. I'm sure I'm not the only one it happened to in those days when Mods could pretty much do anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-603db33572396

@John_Matherson said:

@CrumUnderMe said:

LMAOO It's an awesome feeling when you're in the middle of an argument with a mod and you attempt to respond only to find you've been suspended or banned...Like dude...argue without abusing your powers. I'm sure I'm not the only one it happened to in those days when Mods could pretty much do anything.

i also got banned for saying wario is annoying and for telling someone to stop editing my posts cause i wouldnt talk to him on AIM

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup
@John_Matherson said:

@CrumUnderMe said:

My friend, I've never understood this. One is like a child who's found his dads handgun in the closet, the other is someone waiting to walk the green mile. Who will win?

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 K1ngd0m4g3rul3z
Member since 2013 • 179 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

@CrumUnderMe said:

Yea it was ridicolous, people were being banned for no reason back then. All it took was a wrong word in a comment or a Mod PMSing that particular day.

The Nexus forum is still like that.

I recently got banned becuse I said "idiotic thing to say" in response to a mod.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 John_Matherson

@AdobeArtist said:

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@John_Matherson said:

"lost accounts", hmm? What was the names of these accounts that you lost the passwords to? :)

I'm told I can't tell you...It's for your own protection : )

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I never cared about someone else's number for a game

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdobeArtist  Moderator

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@John_Matherson said:

@AdobeArtist said:

I'm told I can't tell you...It's for your own protection : )

As a moderator, I provide the protection here. I do not require it :)

Of course, if you are unable (or just unwilling) to provide any names of past accounts you've held on the forums, there is no history that supports any credibility to your self proclaimed "knowledge" of System Wars past, prior to 2013. Surely that seems reasonable, does it not? ;)

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

I honestly cant remember what game it was because it was so long ago,

but I remember "this game is shit" I really cant remember, but it got a 9.2

oh and bioshock infinite review,

and forza 5

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

When they started letting Lark Anderson, and subsequently Tom McShea, review games.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killatwill15

@Bigboi500 said:

When they started letting Lark Anderson, and subsequently Tom McShea, review games.

I thought that tom mcshea was one the best reviewers?

I haven't read any of his reviews if I recall incorrectly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-603db33572396

yo who that girl in adobeartist's avatar that girl is mad fine

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts

Never read/watch reviews before I play a game anymore, because they typically spoil the experience too much. I do enjoy to read/watch them after though. I think GS's reviews have become much better the last year or so. They use a bigger range of the scale and they emphasize originality more. Obv I don't agree with everything, which is fine. For example overall the reviewers are more story focused and I'm more mechanic focused. Overall I think GS's reviews are perfectly fine.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

If that's true, it reflects very poorly on the state of reviews from this site. He reviews games with trolling the community in mind, more so than actually trying to be objective or professional. He's the ultimate (paid) troll.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 killatwill15

@Bigboi500 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

If that's true, it reflects very poorly on the state of reviews from this site. He reviews games with trolling the community in mind, more so than actually trying to be objective or professional. He's the ultimate (paid) troll.

oh ok, because some people clamour for his reviews,

probably just want "insert game title here" to look bad is all

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 uninspiredcup

@Sushiglutton said:

Never read/watch reviews before I play a game anymore

An excellent attitude to adopt. If only everyone had this matra. Instead, like ants, the follow orders without understanding exactly why.