What are the most disappointing games you've played this year?

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darkhadou
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts

Hi guys! Was just thinking about this a little bit ago. What are the games you played this year that had your hopes up, but fell flat in every way? Mine are two Capcom games:

1) Street Fighter X Tekken. As a fan of both SF and Tekken games, this was an absolute wasted opportunity on Capcoms part. Everything about the game was sub-par (sound effects, soundtrack, stages, game execution). It was completely underwhemlming to me.

2) Resident Evil: ORC. No explanation needed here. Didn't buy it; borrowed it from a friend.

Open floor...

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Mass Effect 3. Says alot considering how dissapointing ME2 was
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

Max Payne 3.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Haven't played a disappointing game this year.

DarthClark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarthClark
Member since 2012 • 458 Posts
Damage Inc.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Max Payne 3...utter garbage

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I haven't played a game this year that I'd call disapppointing. Some were of varying quality, but I was satisfied to different degrees with the games I've played this year. (Aside for maybe Dementium the Ward. I'm counting games from previous years that I hadn't played before.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Mass Effect 3 by miles and miles. The game was fun, but the entire way the story played out and into the ending (I only saw the EC btw) made me never want to play any of the games ever again. It was like, since I knew the outcome, I'd have no desire to go back and change anything, or to even experience it again. At least with the first two games, there was promise of new and exciting adventures for Shepard and team. Also, inb4 texasgoldrush and dreman999 telling me how I "played it wrong" or "interpreted it wrong" or some dumb sh!t like that.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

havent bought anything new actually.. all year omitting gw2. the rest of my purchases are from 2011 and back

PressXtoJump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PressXtoJump
Member since 2012 • 1484 Posts
Mass Effect 3. Says alot considering how dissapointing ME2 was themajormayor
great.......
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
Mass Effect 3
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Mass Effect 3. Like I dunno if any of you remember from when I posted more, but I absolutely adored that series and they ruined it for me. The sad thing is, as Slashkice said above, I really did have fun with it... and then the ending happened. Bleh.

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
I haven't played a whole lot of games this year, but my biggest disappointment has to be Mass Effect 3. I had several problems with this game: 1) The game mechanics they used this time like the journal, side quests, and auto-dialog made the universe more boring and frustrating than it needed to be. 2) I felt like there was a lack of control in a great deal of the quests. Outside of Rannoch and Tuchanka, I never really felt I had much choice in how encounters played out; Kai-Leng's sequences being some of the most guilty offenders in this regard. 3) Priority Earth and the ending were such huge letdowns after the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Michael0134567

This; I only played 3 games that was released this year; all the other games I played this year were released in a different year and I wasn't disappointed at all.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Spec Ops: The Line. Everyone I knew was praising it for the story and stuff, but gah man the gameplay is just sooooo bad. I couldn't go on after 2 hours.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Spec Ops: The Line. Everyone I knew was praising it for the story and stuff, but gah man the gameplay is just sooooo bad. I couldn't go on after 2 hours.ShadowDeathX

I liked the concept, but you're right... I played it a bit and the shooting felt way off.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

From the games that I´ve played that actually released this year I don´t think any of them were disapointing,Mass Effect 3 I already had really low expectations so I wasn´t exactly surprised,but I guess if I really had to name one it would obviously be ME3.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's an older game. But, I was disappointed with the controls for Heavy Rain. The Six-Axis/motion stuff were too clunky or imprecise for me. That's it though. The controls for my other PS3 games are fine.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Persona 4 Arena by far.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#24 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

max payne 3 was the only 2012 release i bought so far besides 3ds games and marioparty 9

so i give it to that one not that it was bad thats just the least favorite of the ones i bought this year nothing can be as disappointing as pd0 nothing

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Risen 2 wasn't as grand as I'd hoped. And I might have a bug that prevents me from continuing.

Re: ORC. Wow.

Re6: Got to try it at my buddy's place, and **** me it's bad. It is, however, so over the top fantastically bad, that I actually had a lot of fun and might still buy it.

FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts
Darksiders 2. Death pretty much is just killing time until you can get the same ending to the first game but done in a comic slideshow. Fun combat and decent puzzles couldn't help the meandering story and not capitalizing on the cliffhanger ending of the first by making the game run concurrently with the first. I'll welcome a third installment but it will take some help from the wii-u sales of the game to get that thing up and running (would also help keep THQ afloat).
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I played Max Payne 3 and I didn't really like it.

I have no clue what has happened to Rockstar or what they are doing. They have become the complete opposite of what they were just one generation ago.

They used to be all about violent, fun games in your face action type games.. to slow... boring.. super high production value cinema based games, with gameplay that is always just... Boring, and cumbersome, and unoriginal. I don't get it. I just don't. They have changed more than ANY developer this generation. Its really really weird.

I mean they are all good games in their own way.. they are still good developers... But I get Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts flash backs whenever I play anything by them. It might have been good if I didn';t expect the complete opposite of what Im playing

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#28 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I haven't purchased a 2012 release to call disappointing.

I was disappointed with Deus Ex Human Revolution if that counts. I might go back to it to give it another shot, but it was like, just an OK shooter. :/

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

RE6.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

ACR, a bit.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Mass Effect 3 and it's lousy ending I guess.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Spec Ops: The Line. Everyone I knew was praising it for the story and stuff, but gah man the gameplay is just sooooo bad. I couldn't go on after 2 hours.

i didnt think the gameplay was that bad :? it wasn't great but it was good enough to keep me going
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9883 Posts
I almost never get disapointed, videogames are fun :). But I have to go with Bayonetta. The really flat visuals and the technical poblems like loading times etc makes it kind of a drag. I was hoping for a high energy experience, like Vanquish, but meh.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Probably Max payne 3. I love cinematic games, but there were just too many cutscenes in that game.

LiquidAjax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LiquidAjax
Member since 2002 • 2032 Posts
Dark Souls. Bland, boring and bad graphics.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Final Fantasy XIII

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Max Payne 3. The cutscenes were loading screens and they were loooong. Furthermore the game was fine really.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

This; I only played 3 games that was released this year; all the other games I played this year were released in a different year and I wasn't disappointed at all.

To be honest, I don't think I've played a game that came out this year yet. I've been trying to catch up on many games I've missed.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Mass Effect 3- bad ending & lame squad for the most part are probably my two biggest gripes- still a great game, I guess after ME and ME2 becoming 2 of my favorite games ever I was bound to be disappointed.

Deus Ex Human Revolution- gonna give it another try but I did not enjoy my 1st experience.

MGS Peace Walker- Some people argued that this is the best MGS ever. I think it might be the worst (atleast when you take in to account when it was released) Horrible story, not much special gameplay wise. Didn't really get into the base building/ management wish they put more effort into other things.

AC Revelations- felt unnecessary, hated the Altair sections, the sci fi/ Desmond/modern storyline continues to be really stupid

doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
SFxT. Sleeping Dogs. Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Spec Ops: The Line. Everyone I knew was praising it for the story and stuff, but gah man the gameplay is just sooooo bad. I couldn't go on after 2 hours.

i didnt think the gameplay was that bad :? it wasn't great but it was good enough to keep me going

if its like every other cover based TPS with regen health then its bad

The gameplay is okay. The writing and story curbstomps the sh!t out of a lot games though. Crazy how people called it "generic", yet it's what military shooters should strive for. Hell, even games in general could benefit from having writing like The Line has.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Mass Effect 3, not even close. Was expecting GOTY contender and it was just ok.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] i didnt think the gameplay was that bad :? it wasn't great but it was good enough to keep me going

if its like every other cover based TPS with regen health then its bad

The gameplay is okay. The writing and story curbstomps the sh!t out of a lot games though. Crazy how people called it "generic", yet it's what military shooters should strive for. Hell, even games in general could benefit from having writing like The Line has.

Because from the looks of it the general game design is fairly common tps design. It can get all the props it wants for what it tries to do with its story, but a game should not suck at being a game. Personally haven't played anything beyond the demo, and was instantly turned off by the demo.
Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Dark Souls. Bland, boring and bad graphics.LiquidAjax
Yeah this,it really wasn´t that good.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] if its like every other cover based TPS with regen health then its bad

Because from the looks of it the general game design is fairly common tps design. It can get all the props it wants for what it tries to do with its story, but a game should not suck at being a game. Personally haven't played anything beyond the demo, and was instantly turned off by the demo.

That's because it is. Gameplay-wise, it's a straightforward TPS. But with the setting, story, writing and characters it hits a homerun.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] The gameplay is okay. The writing and story curbstomps the sh!t out of a lot games though. Crazy how people called it "generic", yet it's what military shooters should strive for. Hell, even games in general could benefit from having writing like The Line has.

That's because it is. Gameplay-wise, it's a straightforward TPS. But with the setting, story, writing and characters it hits a homerun.

And in that regard it's rightfully going to be called generic. Because it is a by the book third person shooter, that just happens to tell a good story allegedly.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

FIFA 13..

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Because from the looks of it the general game design is fairly common tps design. It can get all the props it wants for what it tries to do with its story, but a game should not suck at being a game. Personally haven't played anything beyond the demo, and was instantly turned off by the demo. jg4xchamp

And in that regard it's rightfully going to be called generic. Because it is a by the book third person shooter, that just happens to tell a good story allegedly.

Gameplay-wise, I'd agree.