Western RPGS vs. Japanese RPGS (POLL)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Vote! And what qualifies as a Western RPG is what is made on U.S. or Canadian soil. (Neverwinter Nights, WoW, Guild Wars, KOTOR, etc.). Japanese RPGS are the ones that were made in... well, Japan. And they're the ones with feminine males denying denying their gender. (Final Fantasy, etc.)

For me, it's Western RPGS. They make better online RPGS, they all have a good story that is mostly always original, and a great combat system.

Japanese RPGS are usually the same thing; Emo hipsters fighting in a medieval world with anime theatrics and an uninspired story.

IMO, Western RPGS >>>>>>>>> JRPGS.

Vote!

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
BOTH!!!
white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
I like both of them.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

at least jrpg's change it up with fresh awesome stories

with wrpgs its always save the king and fight some dragons and talk to people with british accents

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

Hmmmmm...Final Fantasy X versus KOTOR. Its too tough to call. They are both equal, but I like the style of Western RPGs, but FFX is the best game i've ever played.

-R3Volation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -R3Volation
Member since 2007 • 657 Posts
Are all topics just being recycled? This same topic was made a week ago! STOP IT !!!
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 princeofshapeir

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

with wrpgs its always save the king and fight some dragons and talk to people with british accents

mistervengeance

I can argue that all JRPGS are the same.

Anime-style character design? Check.

Cheesy voice acting? Check.

Main characters without shirts and hair so long and spiky that you wonder what kind of hair product they use? Check.

End-Game boss that has mutliple forms? Check.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I disagree whole heartedly with what "qualifies" either sub genre.

It really isn't where they're made that differentiates them, albeit each type is the predominate in their respective regions.

The thing that separates them is their fundamental design. A Japanese developer could make a WRPG, and a western developer (North America, Europe for the most part) could make a JRPG. They rarely if ever do that though, sadly.

To say it's basis is region is really a misconception of the actual defining qualities of both great sub genre. :|

Xerlaoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xerlaoth
Member since 2005 • 1059 Posts

It really depends on the game.

JRPGs constrain themselves with tradition far too much. Something like Oblivion, with that kind of interactivity and scope, would never come out of Japan.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 princeofshapeir

It really isn't where they're made that differentiates them, albeit each type is the predominate in their respective regions.

The thing that separates them is their fundamental design. A Japanese developer could make a WRPG, and a western developer (North America, Europe for the most part) could make a JRPG. They rarely if ever do that though, sadly.

To say it's basis is region is really a misconception of the actual defining qualities of both great sub genre. :|

-RPGamer-

If what you say is true, why aren't Japanese RPG developers trying to mix up the formula? Final Fantasy XII was a huge change of pace, but I want to see a main character that does not look like a girl.

And the same for Western RPGS: Stop trying to make the next World of Warcraft and create a compelling single-player RPG that will change Role-Playing history!

Neither Western or Japanese RPG makers have disproven the stereotype of each genre as of yet.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
[QUOTE="mistervengeance"]

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

princeofshapeir

Main characters without shirts and hair so long and spiky that you wonder what kind of hair product they use? Check.

wow that's even worse generalization than saying all italians like pizza

leonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 leonhead
Member since 2007 • 1524 Posts
I simply hate anime and its characters its so weird...So i tend to do that with Jrpgs, I'm not a huge fan with RPGs but i prefer WEstern....All the characters look the same, spiky hair, creepy faces...thier either angry, ugly or way to happy...I never got what was so good about the FF series either...
greenleaf2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 greenleaf2000
Member since 2006 • 1259 Posts

Japanese,

Final Fantasy = best game series ever.,

OmegaOrtega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 OmegaOrtega
Member since 2004 • 4502 Posts

Vote! And what qualifies as a Western RPG is what is made on U.S. or Canadian soil. (Neverwinter Nights, WoW, Guild Wars, KOTOR, etc.). Japanese RPGS are the ones that were made in... well, Japan. And they're the ones with feminine males denying denying their gender. (Final Fantasy, etc.)

For me, it's Western RPGS. They make better online RPGS, they all have a good story that is mostly always original, and a great combat system.

Japanese RPGS are usually the same thing; Emo hipsters fighting in a medieval world with anime theatrics and an uninspired story.

Vote!

princeofshapeir

Guild Wars was made in Korea.

CocopuffsGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CocopuffsGM
Member since 2007 • 214 Posts
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="mistervengeance"]

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

mistervengeance

Your WRPG generalization was worse. It's funny because one of the reason I like WRPGs better than JRPGs is because they are not all the same.

JRPG story:
Some kid is destined to do something important/ has special powers.
World(s) are in danger.
One evil entity is in charge of it all.

And your forgetting, the best video game story is in a WRPG (Planescape: Torment, most who played would agree). And by the way, dragons are more of a JRPG thing. I think you just owned yourself with that entire post.

(Oh, And most the things princeofshapeir are also true. Not always a bad thing, some JRPGs are still fun.)
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

mistervengeance

Your generalization was just as horrid.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Youdo realize that this board is mostly occupied by Xbox 360 fans first and PC fans second correct? (judging from previous "what's your favorite system?" polls.

-RPGamer-

Agreed, if somebody says other wise they must haven't played Final Fantasy XII or Anarchronax.

Anime-****character design? Check.

princeofshapeir

With an exception of the voice acting and anime, hardly any JRPG's do those things, the only company that puts all those things or most of those things in their game, is Square-Enix.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#19 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
Both works for me
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

Vote!

princeofshapeir

you don't even know anything about JRPG's you said "Final Fantasy , ETC" yet you name 5 or more PC games.

Western RPG's are not turn based, they use a Rock, Paper,Scissor setup.

JRPG's have Random battles(usally) and tnot many have "Emo Hipsters" it's obvious you have no idea what your talking about. Thing is it's like comparing Apples to oranges.

JRPG's are >> Single player because Western RPG's are meant for Mutliplayer, like Neverwinter Nights, WoW, Guild Wars. if your internet is down the best RPG you can play is a JRPG.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

JRPG's are >> Single player because Western RPG's are meant for Mutliplayer, like Neverwinter Nights, WoW, Guild Wars. if your internet is down the best RPG you can play is a JRPG.

peacebringer

...wtf?

ken_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ken_gamer
Member since 2003 • 7522 Posts
JRPGs are lot more fun in my opinion. But all I have to say is it's sad people choose one over the other because "anime sucks" or "it's all about teh muscles". Idiotic much?
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

BOTH!!!laughingman42

I agree. *hi5's him*

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 peacebringer
[QUOTE="mistervengeance"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="mistervengeance"]

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

ToScA-

Your generalization was just as horrid.

fact no one pointed out WOW,Guild wars story are irrelavent to the lvling/grinding/meating people. JRPG's are 1 player games, no western RPG can touch a good JRPG' cause a good JRPG is like reading a book(we'll till they added voice acting wich messes it up. you buy a game like WOW for it's online mode and all that no one i ever went to Onyxia with cared about why we had to kill her. but how many people know Aerith died in FF7?
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

princeofshapeir

If what you say is true, why aren't Japanese RPG developers trying to mix up the formula? Final Fantasy XII was a huge change of pace, but I want to see a main character that does not look like a girl.

And the same for Western RPGS: Stop trying to make the next World of Warcraft and create a compelling single-player RPG that will change Role-Playing history!

Neither Western or Japanese RPG makers have disproven the stereotype of each genre as of yet.

They do it by choice, and a good portion of it is built into the culture and game design of the regions (good reference book for this is Power Up,by Chris Kohler). It's not that they can't, it's that they don't. Toss in the want to make money and you get a pretty good concept of why there's such a regional distinction.

It's true that both sides are stuck in this method of making games, it's really sad being a huge fan of the genre, and over time I've lost a lot of faith in it. *shakes head*

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 peacebringer
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

ToScA-

...wtf?

Neverwinter Nights online? Check, WOW online? Check. Guild wars online? check. FF7 Online? nope. it's like asking do you like Bioshock or Halo 3 more? bioshock is purley 1 player meant to be played and enjoyed alone, Halo 3 has a decent single with amazing replay and fun online. we'll in the case of WRPG and JRPG thats the differance, one focuses on the single player/story and one focuses on Multiplayer/tricking out your guy. there both good don't knock it cause you got online all of a sudden.
Chickity_China

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chickity_China
Member since 2007 • 2322 Posts
Whenever I think of JRPGs, I think of random, turn based battles. I much prefer the style of KotOR and Oblivion.
Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mad_Rhetoric
Member since 2005 • 3642 Posts
what kind of question is this,JRPGs DEFINE the RPG genre, WRPGs aren't really big like there counterparts, nontheless I still play oblivion, but its only one among like 20 other JRPGs
CocopuffsGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CocopuffsGM
Member since 2007 • 214 Posts
fact no one pointed out WOW,Guild wars story are irrelavent to the lvling/grinding/meating people. JRPG's are 1 player games, no western RPG can touch a good JRPG' cause a good JRPG is like reading a book(we'll till they added voice acting wich messes it up. you buy a game like WOW for it's online mode and all that no one i ever went to Onyxia with cared about why we had to kill her. but how many people know Aerith died in FF7?
peacebringer

Why do people assume WRPGs = MMORPGs? Your forgetting games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fable, BioShock etc etc.

The main difference between the two is I would say, WRPGs generally give you more options, have more open ended stories with usually multiple endings, and more adult oriented stories. JRPGs usually have linear stories, and appeal more to younger gamers, and they don't usually give you many dialogue options.
hobbit93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hobbit93
Member since 2007 • 1461 Posts

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

mistervengeance

you did not just say that....

:|

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -RPGamer-

what kind of question is this,JRPGs DEFINE the RPG genre, WRPGs aren't really big like there counterparts, nontheless I still play oblivion, but its only one among like 20 other JRPGsMad_Rhetoric

*shakes head*

WRPG really defines the RPG originally. JRPG (specifically Square and Enix during the times) pulled inspiration from WRPG of the time.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 peacebringer
[QUOTE="peacebringer"] fact no one pointed out WOW,Guild wars story are irrelavent to the lvling/grinding/meating people. JRPG's are 1 player games, no western RPG can touch a good JRPG' cause a good JRPG is like reading a book(we'll till they added voice acting wich messes it up. you buy a game like WOW for it's online mode and all that no one i ever went to Onyxia with cared about why we had to kill her. but how many people know Aerith died in FF7?
CocopuffsGM

Why do people assume WRPGs = MMORPGs? Your forgetting games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fable, BioShock etc etc.

The main difference between the two is I would say, WRPGs generally give you more options, have more open ended stories with usually multiple endings, and more adult oriented stories. JRPGs usually have linear stories, and appeal more to younger gamers, and they don't usually give you many dialogue options.

Badlurs gate had online if i remember. the thing that makes WOW so fun is when you have good gear you can go fight in BG's and show people your work. but in a game like Oblvion you play all these hr's for dragged out story, it's boring. The only thing WRPG's do better is MMORPG's. If my internet was down i would def be playing Chrono Cross before playing Neverwinter nights.
Avatar image for CrimsonBlade360
CrimsonBlade360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CrimsonBlade360
Member since 2007 • 588 Posts

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

mistervengeance
lol noob.WRPGS almost always have a better story than JRPGS. I only ever really like two jrpgs star ocean and golden sun(if that was even a japanese game)
Avatar image for CrimsonBlade360
CrimsonBlade360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CrimsonBlade360
Member since 2007 • 588 Posts
LOL look at all this anti-west hate from cows even though there probably from the US.
ken_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ken_gamer

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

farrell2k

And with JRPGs it's always some 15 yr old boy, or a group of 15 yr old kids out to save the world from the evil_____.

Everyone likes adventure. I agree that plot cliche is old, but you're an idiot if you think JRPGs are always some 15 year old group of world-saving boys and girls.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Your WRPG generalization was worse. It's funny because one of the reason I like WRPGs better than JRPGs is because they are not all the same.

JRPG story:
World(s) are in danger.

And your forgetting, the best video game story is in a WRPG (Planescape: Torment, most who played would agree). And by the way, dragons are more of a JRPG thing. I think you just owned yourself with that entire post.

(Oh, And most the things princeofshapeir are also true. Not always a bad thing, some JRPGs are still fun.)CocopuffsGM

And with JRPGs it's always some 15 yr old boy, or a group of 15 yr old kids out to save the world from the evil_____.

farrell2k

See and people wonder why most JRPG fans hate Square-Enix, because you get retarded generalazations like this.

ken_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ken_gamer

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

CrimsonBlade360
lol noob.WRPGS almost always have a better story than JRPGS. I only ever really like two jrpgs star ocean and golden sun(if that was even a japanese game)

Those aren't even the cream of the crop of the JRPGs. Just shows how little you've played to make that judgement.
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 peacebringer

[QUOTE="CocopuffsGM"]

JRPG story:
World(s) are in danger.

(Oh, And most the things princeofshapeir are also true. Not always a bad thing, some JRPGs are still fun.)Gunraidan

farrell2k

See and people wonder why most JRPG fans hate Square-Enix, because you get retarded generalazations like this.

i know right. i hate when people who really played like 15 games in there lives come on here and break down Genres.
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

WRPGs for the win.

batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts
I absolutely despise JRPG's, I hate turn based gameplay and random battles. And most JRPG's have the same story, and have really nothing new in their games. At least with WRPG's, you get compelling stories and fun gameplay.
Aqua-Vitae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Aqua-Vitae
Member since 2007 • 323 Posts

jrpg's own western rpg's

wrpg's are all the same

mistervengeance

:shock: They don't? :P

Cassius128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cassius128
Member since 2005 • 2670 Posts
I play both but I have more jrpgs in my favorite list. so jrpgs for me.
ken_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ken_gamer
I absolutely despise JRPG's, I hate turn based gameplay and random battles. And most JRPG's have the same story, and have really nothing new in their games. At least with WRPG's, you get compelling stories and fun gameplay.batistafan99
That's hilariously stupid. I can say the same thing you said by replacing 'WRPGs' with 'JRPGs' and I could still make a case as compelling as yours.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

Perfect rpg =

story and characters as deep as ff6+world like oblivion+ battle system like grandia, star ocean, and oblivion+WOW like mulit player+ *** and western character designs+ glorious music to top it all off.

Hmm it sounds like infinite undiscovery maybe it.:P

batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts

[QUOTE="batistafan99"]I absolutely despise JRPG's, I hate turn based gameplay and random battles. And most JRPG's have the same story, and have really nothing new in their games. At least with WRPG's, you get compelling stories and fun gameplay.ken_gamer
That's hilariously stupid. I can say the same thing you said by replacing 'WRPGs' with 'JRPGs' and I could still make a case as compelling as yours.

what's so fun about turn based battles? it's like playing pokemon. and their stories are always the same, with metrosexual characters with spiky hair and fairies and crap.

LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LinKuei_warrior
I absolutely despise JRPG's, I hate turn based gameplay and random battles. And most JRPG's have the same story, and have really nothing new in their games. At least with WRPG's, you get compelling stories and fun gameplay.batistafan99
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LinKuei_warrior

[QUOTE="ken_gamer"][QUOTE="batistafan99"]I absolutely despise JRPG's, I hate turn based gameplay and random battles. And most JRPG's have the same story, and have really nothing new in their games. At least with WRPG's, you get compelling stories and fun gameplay.batistafan99

what's so fun about turn based battles? it's like playing pokemon. and their stories are always the same, with metrosexual characters with spiky hair and fairies and crap.

except pokemon is actually something that pulls off turned based gameplay :)

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
I like most Japanese RPGs and some American RPGs.
akai_reaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 akai_reaver
Member since 2004 • 7754 Posts

Guild Wars was created in South Korea.

e___e;