Weird remasters incoming for PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Weird remaster numero uno:

Arcania: The Complete Tale for PS4.

What? You mean the game that was slaughtered on PC, PS3 and 360?

Yes, I mean that one. But it is on PS4 now and so will be faster and betterer. Yes.

WTF? Extra weirdness comes from the fact it is already out, they sneaked it out and yet there is not a single review or any PS4 screenshots in the entire internet world to warn people not to buy it how did they manage to pull that off?

Gamespot haven't even mentioned it exists let alone reviewed it. This truly is the remaster that 'got away'.

Weird remaster numero deux:

Risen 3 Enhanced Edition for PS4.

It will apparently be better than PC on ultra settings which sounds great except it absolutely blew on ANY settings on PC and the less said about the console versions the better.

What next? Are we moving on from Definitive Editions to Least Worst Editions? Have some dignity. I'm not entirely sure who I said that to, it just sounded good at the time.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Never heard of the game^^

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Wish we'd get a Ride to Hell remaster.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Remember when we had backwards compatibility instead or remasters?

Nintendo remembers.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The platform is open to developers and publishers. Do you even remember how much shovelware was on the PS2??

Being a massive market success doesn't mean everything the PS4 touches turns to gold, it just means it's the best opportunity for developers and publishers to make money this gen. The natural effect is, of course, you get the really big good games as well.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@megane: So does Pepperidge Farms.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blueinheaven

@Shewgenja said:

The platform is open to developers and publishers. Do you even remember how much shovelware was on the PS2??

Being a massive market success doesn't mean everything the PS4 touches turns to gold, it just means it's the best opportunity for developers and publishers to make money this gen. The natural effect is, of course, you get the really big good games as well.

I know how it works but the PS4 has been more or less free of shovelware up to now so both those titles have come out of the blue. People complain about TLOU and Tomb Raider and even God of War 3 but this stuff really is scraping the bottom of the remaster barrel.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

I'm holding out for the remaster of Kabuki Warriors.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@megane said:

Nintendo remembers.

Nintendo invented the remaster with Mario Allstars. Then, as now, they are welcome.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Never heard of the game^^

Don't want either game. Someone please remaster this dreamcast game. lol!!

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/3/0/3/9303_back.jpg

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Megane

@locopatho:

Have you played All Stars? The graphics got a 100% overhaul, the physics were tweaked and it included the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 which hadn't been released in the West at that point.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

well at least it has bloodborne. Thats a lot of cash for one game.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#13 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Shewgenja: yet when the Wii was in this spot last gen it got shovel ware of the kiddie kind. All sorts of 3rd party junk games... ps4 is at least getting core games even though some of those are crap, but most things arent.

It also seems less shovel ware in general on consoles. When was the last time you seen a movie tie in game? All those avenger, marvel movies and not one tie-in. All those went to ios and android. The casuals have there tappa free2play trash shovel ware and it's made console shelves nothing but core games.

I remember the countless fluff crap like babiez the game and brony the game etc... that was on ds and wii... it was embarrassing even looking on those shelves.. so glad ps4 doesn't have that. Let the phones keep that stuff.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@Shewgenja: yet when the Wii was in this spot last gen it got shovel ware of the kiddie kind. All sorts of 3rd party junk games... ps4 is at least getting core games even though some of those are crap, but most things arent.

It also seems less shovel ware in general on consoles. When was the last time you seen a movie tie in game? All those avenger, marvel movies and not one tie-in. All those went to ios and android. The casuals have there tappa free2play trash shovel ware and it's made console shelves nothing but core games.

I remember the countless fluff crap like babiez the game and brony the game etc... that was on ds and wii... it was embarrassing even looking on those shelves.. so glad ps4 doesn't have that. Let the phones keep that stuff.

I suspect that is precisely what's going to happen this gen. The casuals are getting shaken off. All that's truly left are core gamers. Whereas, in previous generations, things like console power were fairly arbitrary to winning the console market I think the rules have changed. Sony bet all their chips on the core gamer and that is who is showing up.

No, this isn't some love parade post for Sony. I just honestly think they made the right choices this gen. I also think it's entirely possible the PS4 might have a hard time breaking 100M as well. Not because it's not selling fast enough but because it remains to be seen if the Barbie's Funhouse crowd is going to even bother buying a console this generation. They might come back, they might not. We won't know for at least another three years though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@megane said:

Nintendo remembers.

The problem is, people tend to forget that if the current-gen had BC, it would have rise the prices really higher then they are now. You can't put a PS2 game into PS4 and expect it to work, just as your Xbox One will shrug indifferently if you slot in, say, the original Halo: Combat Evolved. There are plenty of gamers who don't care about this – they'll keep their old machines anyway.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@megane said:

Nintendo remembers.

-looks at Wind Waker HD- Mhm~

Oh and I love WW HD btw

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@megane said:

Nintendo remembers.

quoted for truth

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 davem1992

@inb4uall: -looks at WWHD again- lawl

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Megane

@davem1992:

WWHD is a lazy remake but it's far from a "remaster".

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 davem1992

@megane: LOL I'm just fucking with you now, I love WWHD anyway so I just thought I may as well mention it.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

GS noticed Q*bert though. The thing is that this doesn't even include some of their new games such as Basement Crawl, and Speakeasy. Sony fans never like to mention these treasures to the library.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Wish we'd get a Ride to Hell remaster.

I still need to play this game... for science and research of course.

sex-ed.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

I still need to play this game... for science and research of course.

sex-ed.

In the world of Ride to Hell, people have sex with their clothes on. True story.

Shibua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shibua
Member since 2014 • 467 Posts

PS4 thinks it a PS3

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Eurojank has its own audience that enjoys them. Piranha Bytes franchises are popular in Germany and the PS4 is the favorite console in Europe, so the Risen 3 port makes sense. We're supposed to be getting news from PB about something Gothic related soon as well. Nordic Games just seems to like porting stuff or they're trying to keep the brands relevant, which is why Arcania is coming (no longer considered a Gothic entry) plus Darksiders 2. We're supposed to hear about a third entry soon for Darksiders. Not putting them on XB1 too is the only weird thing here.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@megane said:

Nintendo remembers.

Yeah, they remember so much that they sell you Wii games for the Wii U on the eShop completely unremastered. It's much better to pay for the same game again than to get the better version of a game you like. Nintendo is so smart. They should start to hide DLC behind expensive ugly little figurines... oh, wait.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

GS noticed Q*bert though. The thing is that this doesn't even include some of their new games such as Basement Crawl, and Speakeasy. Sony fans never like to mention these treasures to the library.

Rather those than Sonic Boom or this shit:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/family-party-30-great-games-obstacle-arcade

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@davem1992 said:
@megane said:

Nintendo remembers.

-looks at Wind Waker HD- Mhm~

Oh and I love WW HD btw

Quote for TRUTH and OWNAGE

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 inb4uall
@davem1992 said:

@inb4uall: -looks at WWHD again- lawl

Wind waker was a gamecube game not a wii game otherwise you would have a point. There is nothing stopping me from playing my entire wii library on my wii U.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Megane

@nethernova:

You know the Wii discs are fully compatible with the Wii U right?

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 davem1992

@inb4uall: PS3 was backwards compatible with PS1 so my point still stands.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 inb4uall

@davem1992 said:

@inb4uall: PS3 was backwards compatible with PS1 so my point still stands.

The original PS3 that had that functionality was also $600 or something like that. I don't remember exactly as I waited for the slim. Way too much to pay for a console (in my opinion of course). As for the Wii U and the current generation at least it has backwards compatibility as opposed to the PS4 and the xbone.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@bunchanumbers said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/family-party-30-great-games-obstacle-arcade

lol! I must own this game!

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 davem1992

@inb4uall: Yes but it still has a remake from 2 gens prior cause it's not backwards compatible with GC, eitherway none of the big 3 are above it.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Megane

@davem1992:

The Wii U doesn't have analogue triggers on the controllers like the Gamecube, so half the games would have mechanics that would be unusable and the Wii U Gamecube adapter doesn't work in Wii mode even if that was a worthwhile option.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 davem1992

@megane: Need I mention the whole Wii games being put on the WiiU store for £20 each with no graphical upgrades, Nintendo aren't above it either.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By inb4uall

@davem1992 said:

@inb4uall: Yes but it still has a remake from 2 gens prior cause it's not backwards compatible with GC, eitherway none of the big 3 are above it.

The only thing that's backwards compatible with everything is PC. Nintendo has made a much greater effort to maintain backwards compatibility than Microsoft or Sony have this gen. Not being completely backwards compatible with every nintendo console ever does not somehow diminish the fact that the Wii U is still the only backwards compatible console of the 8th generation.

I personally am of the opinion that I would rather have remakes from two generations ago than remakes of games that came out barely a year before the next console launched.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 inb4uall

@davem1992: The games being available digitally on the eshop does not prevent you from using the wii discs you already own with your wii U.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 davem1992

@inb4uall said:
@davem1992 said:

The only thing that's backwards compatible with everything is PC. Nintendo has made a much greater effort to maintain backwards compatibility than Microsoft or Sony have this gen. Not being completely backwards compatible with every nintendo console ever does not somehow diminish the fact that the Wii U is still the only backwards compatible console of the 8th generation.

I personally am of the opinion that I would rather have remakes from two generations ago than remakes of games that came out barely a year before the next console launched.

I'm not denying this, I think Nintendo are MUCH better at it than the other two but they're still not above doing remasters.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Megane

@davem1992:

Wii U and 3DS have backwards compatibility, selling Wii games on the eShop doesn't change that you can just use your discs if you have them.

The PS4, Vita and Xbone have no option to use your past discs.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 inb4uall

@davem1992 said:
@inb4uall said:
@davem1992 said:

I'm not denying this, I think Nintendo are MUCH better at it than the other two but they're still not above doing remasters.

I can agree with this. I still look down disappointingly at Mircosoft and Sony for not making their consoles backwards compatible.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blueinheaven

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

Eurojank has its own audience that enjoys them. Piranha Bytes franchises are popular in Germany and the PS4 is the favorite console in Europe, so the Risen 3 port makes sense. We're supposed to be getting news from PB about something Gothic related soon as well. Nordic Games just seems to like porting stuff or they're trying to keep the brands relevant, which is why Arcania is coming (no longer considered a Gothic entry) plus Darksiders 2. We're supposed to hear about a third entry soon for Darksiders. Not putting them on XB1 too is the only weird thing here.

Actually I've seen the Arcania PS4 clips on youtube and it doesn't look too bad. I know Risen is popular in Europe (not so much in the UK) and I kind of liked the first two it was just weird that those two relatively small time games popped up at the same time on PS4.

No idea why they didn't also do X1 for Arcania it should have been easy to plonk it out alongside the PS4 version but they said they have no plans for it. At least they got the Arcania remaster out the door before Witcher 3 arrives lol.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:
@bobrossperm said:
@bunchanumbers said:

lol! I must own this game!

Well there you go :)