We have GOTY, but why not FLOP OF THE GEN AWARDS?

• 97 results
daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll We have GOTY, but why not FLOP OF THE GEN AWARDS? (72 votes)

Sea of Thieves 53%
Gears of War 4 3%
ReCore 0%
Quantum Break 7%
State of Decay 2 7%
Detroit Become Human 31%

I often ask myself why there isn't a FLOP OF THE GEN Awards, I mean if we have GOTY their should be one right? Sadly I wasn't able to find any such awards via internet, so today I decided that I make my own and let you decide which game deserves such title.

As you can see MS has done a great job with producing flops and has a higher chance winning this award, over Sony, which I find isn't fair, but it is what it is. So fellow System war heads, waht is your vote and why?

• 
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

?

Detroit BH is actually really good. It is holding my personal GOTY mark over God of War at the moment.

Back to topic though, we don't do "Flop of the Year" because we do that 11 out of the 12 months. The 12th month is for Game of the Year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I think we should have a shit thread poster of the gen as well!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

And most sites do have a worst game/most disappointing game of the year award.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I say sea of thieves because of all the delay and the end result was still a bare bone game!

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Why is Detroit even on that list?? It reviewed decent, and really wasn't a whole lot of hype. Sea of Thieves is the obvious right answer and I think even the majority of fanboys will agree.

Also, Gears shouldn't be on that list either.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Detroit is great.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

SoT or SoD2? Hard decision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Detripe is typical David Cage nonsense with terrible gameplay.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

NMS

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

You forgot Halo Masterflop Collection.

It was such a flop it carried the whole franchise with it and Floplo and the Flopbone haven't recovered since. I hear the MP is still broken to this day.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Flop of the year is better than the Generation.

I dont think Sea of Theives is a flop, i think it is rather selling well? maybbe not as good as MS would have hoped but it is doing okay

But I think No Man sky is indeed one

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

Why tf is Detroit Become Human on this list? Oh, you're trolling. My vote goes to No Man's Sky or Mass Effect: Andromeda. Neither are on your list, though

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56317 Posts

Sea of Thieves totally takes this one and the game itself was such a huge flop, even No Man's Sky outscore Sea of Thieves by a mile lol. So embarrassing!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Don't get the hate Recore gets. Really enjoyed that game. It's not a polished AAA game and never intended to be, but the gameplay it's freaking close to perfect. Combat becomes pleasingly challenging towards the end and platforming is a joy during the whole game. And at least the Definitive Edition looks fine.

Played it on Game Pass because why not, and ended up buying a physical copy just to have it on my collection. Guess I'm a minority but it felt like a cool 3D Metroid game. It will probably get on my top 20 for this gen. Different tastes I guess.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56317 Posts

@phbz said:

Don't get the hate Recore gets. Really enjoyed that game. It's not a polished AAA game and never intended to be, but the gameplay it's freaking close to perfect. Combat becomes pleasingly challenging towards the end and platforming is a joy during the whole game. And at least the Definitive Edition looks fine.

Played it on Game Pass because why not, and ended up buying a physical copy just to have it on my collection. Guess I'm a minority but it felt like a cool 3D Metroid game. It will probably get on my top 20 for this gen. Different tastes I guess.

The reason ReCore got hated is because it was released unfinished on launch, too many bugs/glitches is why it got blasted. The Definitive Edition is the whole game, the way it should have launched in the first place.

To me, the gameplay was fun enough to keep playing and the challenge rooms for the most part were fun to me but however, there is a lot of backtracking and though fast travel points are relatively well spread out, it would have been preferable to have travel at any point instead and what really irked me was having to go the crawler every time I wanted to change a core bot’s equipment.

ReCore is indeed worth playing through Game Pass but that's about it.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sealionact  Online
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

Lol...salty trolls cant handle both sea of thieves and state of decay 2 outselling god of war in the uk... meanwhile, psvr, knack, last guardian, lbp3, no man's sky, killzone, driveclub, infamous and the order all flopped harder than most of the Xbox titles on his list...LMAO.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#17 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

As already stated, NMS would contend for that. Also, as much as I think @quadknight is a total knob in the way he trolls (always posting GIFs, memes, and talks about salt more than I use it in the food I make), Halo MCC is definitely up there. MCC was supposed to put the majority of the series on one disc, with the ability to que for multiple games on multiple engines. HALO CE WAS FINALLY playable online on consoles for the first time (not counting XBC). The end result was a game where the MM system didn't work for so long, people just fucked off and went to new games. Hell, they are still working on that game today lmao.

Not sure why Detroit, SOD2, Recore, or Gears 4 are up there.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By QuadKnight
@sealionact said:

Lol...salty trolls cant handle both sea of thieves and state of decay 2 outselling god of war in the uk... meanwhile, psvr, knack, last guardian, lbp3, no man's sky, killzone, driveclub, infamous and the order all flopped harder than most of the Xbox titles on his list...LMAO.

? TLG flopped? When? It got a 9/10 here. It's higher scoring than anything MS has released this gen that isn't Flopza.

You lems are totally delusional. If 9/10 is a flop what does that makes MS' entire lineup this gen?

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

no mans sky should be first

follow by Sea of thieves

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By QuadKnight
@davillain- said:

Sea of Thieves totally takes this one and the game itself was such a huge flop, even No Man's Sky outscore Sea of Thieves by a mile lol. So embarrassing!

? Yup. Sea of Trash got rekt by NMS and at least NMS has redeemed itself with the latest patch. SoT will continue to be a joke because there's nothing in the game to redeem since it's devoid of content in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Anything MS to be honest, they don't benefit gaming whatsoever.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22406 Posts

How about a 'worst thread of the generation award'? This one would be up there (although there is some stiff competition from other salty cows).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@Telekill said:

?

Detroit BH is actually really good. It is holding my personal GOTY mark over God of War at the moment.

Back to topic though, we don't do "Flop of the Year" because we do that 11 out of the 12 months. The 12th month is for Game of the Year.

Me too GOW is great but I enjoyed Detroit's story much more.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I think it's a waste, just like devoting space to unreleased games. I rather see every once of attention devoted to reviews of deserving games.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

Gotta be SoT, I cant think of a game this gen that didnt meet expectations quite like it did besides NMS. But since NMS has redeemed itself and SoT looks like its going to remain subpar... Its gotta be SoT.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@quadknight: How convenient, you left out the 4.6 user score for NMS (post patch btw).

Let's be real. Sea of Thieves and No Man's Sky were pretty much guilty of the same thing. And they both sucked because of it. NMS may be better now after the latest content patch, though. But it has taken a while to get there.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By QuadKnight

@The_Stand_In: Since when does User Score matter? Any idiot fanboy can change them by giving constant 0s.

I didn’t “conveniently” leave out User Score, I just don’t use them in judging games since they are easily manipulated. The user score I included with SoT was accidentally captured. Feel free to ignore it in my post.

I agree both games sucked at launch but NMS had way more content. You can say anything about it but you can’t say it didn’t have content or proper progression like SoT. NMS’ problem is that the end goal was trash and Sean Murray lied about gameplay features like MP. SoT’s problem is that it’s f’ing empty and the items you unlock have no impact on your stats. NMS had better ships and gear to unlock as you progressed through the game even if the end goal was trash like SoT. Whether you live or die in SoT holds no meaning since all the gear unlocked in the game have the same stats and are just cosmetic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#28 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@davillain-: I guess it was a mix of me expecting a bad game with needing a 3D Metroid fix. But I really, really like it.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sealionact  Online

@quadknight: Muhaha...that's not a flop.... a flop is something that sold poorly, regardless of the critical acclaim... hence "flopped" at the box office.

The Shawshank redemption got rave reviews, but flopped financially...last guardian took NINE years to develop, and flopped badly in sales. That's the definition of a flop.... and btw, critics were deeply divided over tlg....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/game-reviews/the-last-guardian-review/

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

How is Detroit: Become Human considered a flop? Its gotten very good reception and it is one of the better make-your-story driven games where choices actually matter. Even if you beat the game its worth replaying and make your characters go different routes which is also a fun experience. Its on par with Until Dawn and Heavy Rain as one of the best movie based games IMO.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By QuadKnight

@sealionact said:

@quadknight: Muhaha...that's not a flop.... a flop is something that sold poorly, regardless of the critical acclaim... hence "flopped" at the box office.

The Shawshank redemption got rave reviews, but flopped financially...last guardian took NINE years to develop, and flopped badly in sales. That's the definition of a flop.... and btw, critics were deeply divided over tlg....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/game-reviews/the-last-guardian-review/

? Stay on your meds you clown. It’s an 82 on Metacritic which is higher than most games released on the FlopBox this gen.

“Critics were deeply divided”- ???

In what world is a 9/10 on GS and 82 MC a flop? ? If TLG is a flop then the Flopbone’s entire library is a flop. The game was critically acclaimed you idiot.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

This thread is as original as Xbox exclusives.

lol

Destroyed two birds with one stone

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15980 Posts

Put in Detroit to make this thread less xbox bashing. Nice touch

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Because Ea would win it most every year.

Overall I'd probably say Starwars battlefront 2, in my opinion. If we wren't limiting ourselves to games however I'd personally chose PS Now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

So where are the options for games like Driveclub, Knack etc.

Oh wait the thread was created by a cow, nevermind as you were.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sealionact  Online

@quadknight: In what world is a game that took 9 years to develop, and was hyped more than any game I can remember not a flop when it sold less than sea of thieves, sod2 and even ps4's flopmeister...no man's sky?

Honestly Quack, I know you're getting ready to issue blocking threats again, but tlg is the very definition of a flop.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sealionact: Damn another person owning quack, he's not having a good week lol, its like he's coming unhinged.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25009 Posts

Wolfenstein 2. rubbish 3 hour SJW movie with few bad gameplay mechanics and it become a commercial failure.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@quadknight said:

You forgot Halo Masterflop Collection.

It was such a flop it carried the whole franchise with it and Floplo and the Flopbone haven't recovered since. I hear the MP is still broken to this day.

Nah they have fixed the MP a lot its still not quite finished though, its gone though a complete overall. It shouldn't of been released when it was. apparently it wont be finished until release on gamepass

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By QuadKnight
@sealionact said:

@quadknight: In what world is a game that took 9 years to develop, and was hyped more than any game I can remember not a flop when it sold less than sea of thieves, sod2 and even ps4's flopmeister...no man's sky?

Honestly Quack, I know you're getting ready to issue blocking threats again, but tlg is the very definition of a flop.

There's no world a game that scores 9/10 on Gamepsot and 82 on MC is a flop.

The end goal for making any game is making sure the game is good. It doesn't matter how long it took to make the game, it was well received by gamers and critics alike and that's all that matters. Take your stupid lem damage control and GTFO. You've been completely destroyed and you were wrong listing TLG in your list of flops. SW is the only place where an idiot could come up with an idea that a game that scored 9/10 on GS and has an 82 MC is a flop.

^ ^ Generally favorable reviews based on 110 critics.

In comparison, this is what a flop looks like...

^ ^ Mixed or Average Reviews after 5 years of development and here is also another flop....

? Based on simple logic and evidence, I've completely owned your stupid lem ass. Keep crying and damage controlling, it won't stop your Flopbone and its entire lineup of flops from being the joke of the gen.

@i_p_daily said:

@sealionact: Damn another person owning quack, he's not having a good week lol, its like he's coming unhinged.

Your homeboy is getting destroyed here. By you and his dumb logic, Flopza Horizon 3, your game of the gen, is also a flop since it scored the same as TLG lol.

? What a bunch of simple idiots and self-owning rodents.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Surely DriveClub needs to be on that list. It was such a flop Sony shut the studio down.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By QuadKnight
@boycie said:

Surely DriveClub needs to be on that list. It was such a flop Sony shut the studio down.

I agree, it was a monumental flop. It eventually got good with patches but the damage was done. Still not as floptastic as Xbone games on the list but still Sony's biggest flop this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@quadknight said:
@boycie said:

I agree, it was a monumental flop. It eventually got good with patches but the damage was done. Still not as floptastic as Xbone games on the list but still Sony's biggest flop this gen.

At least SoT and SoD2 have the potential to grow into great games.

SoT is receiving new content all the time, a big expansion is about to hit any day and all the expansions are free.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts

I don't feel like any of those games were especially hyped. Fanboys were talking a lot about SoT on gaming forums, though, and it didn't get good scores, so I guess that's the floppiest one. Pretty funny that SoT is still by far the most interesting game in the poll, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@quadknight said:
@sealionact said:

There's no world a game that scores 9/10 on Gamepsot and 82 on MC is a flop.

The end goal for making any game is making sure the game is good. It doesn't matter how long it took to make the game, it was well received by gamers and critics alike and that's all that matters. Take your stupid lem damage control and GTFO. You've been completely destroyed and you were wrong listing TLG in your list of flops. SW is the only place where an idiot could come up with an idea that a game that scored 9/10 on GS and has an 82 MC is a flop.

^ ^ Generally favorable reviews based on 110 critics.

In comparison, this is what a flop looks like...

^ ^ Mixed or Average Reviews after 5 years of development and here is also another flop....

? Based on simple logic and evidence, I've completely owned your stupid lem ass. Keep crying and damage controlling, it won't stop your Flopbone and its entire lineup of flops from being the joke of the gen.

@i_p_daily said:

Your homeboy is getting destroyed here. By you and his dumb logic, Flopza Horizon 3, your game of the gen, is also a flop since it scored the same as TLG lol.

? What a bunch of simple idiots and self-owning rodents.

Yep you've become totally unhinged and are a massive hypocrite right now (like everyday really) he said it flopped in SALES, he never said it flopped in scores only that some critics were divided, and with an 82 you can see merit in his statement.

Now for the part where you own yourself AGAIN (it never gets old)

"The end goal for making any game is making sure the game is good. It doesn't matter how long it took to make the game, it was well received by gamers and critics alike and that's all that matters"

And yet here you were creating a "leak" thread (which was wrong which owned you) celebrating SALES and yet you're quick to divert from sales talk because TLG flopped.

There's only one thing left to say and that's you have to be the most owned user on these forums congrats.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sealionact  Online

@quadknight: You can't own anybody when you get so wound up, that you end up resorting to calling people idiots, and repeating yourself in the same rabid fashion while ignoring the facts. Saying "idiot" repeatedly is not "using logic".

When something with a big budget, and an incredibly long development time fails to sell well, it is a flop. Even if it is critically acclaimed.

If a game had poor reviews, but sold well - like SOT - it isn't a flop, it exceeds expectations. It really doesn't matter how much you rage, name call and repost arguments and childish gifs, I can guarantee you that the people behind tlg were devastated by the sales after investing 9 years into the project, and you won't see another game developed the same way again. Ever.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Lol, all the butthurt lems voting for Detroit.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

No contest.. Detroit: Become Movie. :P

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Based on hype -

1. Sea of Zzzzzzzzz's - The hype was out of control
  2. Quantum Break - people were putting this up against TloU and Uncharted 4 , lol
  3. Halo 5 - crap campaign , fake warzone (KZ SF had a real one) , and boring arena-style multiplayer