Was Shadow Of Chernobyl the best fps of the last generation?

• 60 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59421 Posts

Think it was, but need validation as the big red thing didn't give it a 9.5.

Is it? If not, what was? And why?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#2 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

For me it was Crysis. The game blew me away in pretty much every department, except story. Shadow of Chernobyl is definitely up there among the top tier/best FPS of last gen.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Ah, was wondering what game that was in the OP title. Lazy to say Stalker?

Not in my book, had more fun with Far Cry 3.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

I almost said it wasn't last-gen, but it definitely was! Man, last-gen was incredibly long. I was a teenager when it began!

Yeah, STALKER was the best FPS of last gen, and one of the best FPS of all time.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Its among them, that game was refreshing. We had Metroid Prime 3, Half-Life 2 Episode 2. etc. Team Fortress 2 i guess is another, but not single player.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

SoC is a diamond in the rough. If you can get around all the wonky bugs it's a great game, but finding the guy I needed to talk to feet-up inside a burning barrel just kinda cracked the pedestal a bit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup

@Ant_17 said:

Ah, was wondering what game that was in the OP title. Lazy to say Stalker?

Not in my book, had more fun with Far Cry 3.

3 Stalker games.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ant_17

@uninspiredcup: Only played Clear Skies.

Not saying it's bad, i just was over the gloomy side of FPS.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Ant_17 said:

You'd be right to say it's bad my friend.

Call Of Pripyat pretty good.

Stalker+Oblivion Lost 11/10 Mountain Dew goodness.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46673 Posts

Half Life 2 was the best FPS. It had advanced physics so you could do things like pick up a soda can. And it had very believable characters so you could bond with Alyx Vance and Dog.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25114 Posts

It was along with Crysis and FEAR 1. Deus Ex HR too if its count

we may have Stalker 2 in future because GSC are back.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ant_17

@uninspiredcup: Not a Dew person, but i'll look into Call Of Pripyat.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Half Life 2 was the best FPS. It had advanced physics so you could do things like pick up a soda can. And it had very believable characters so you could bond with Alyx Vance and Dog.

Half-Life 2 in terms of console generations actually belongs to the 6th generation, not 7th.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14422 Posts

Yes. Greatest Fps ever conceived.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cloud_imperium

@Ant_17 said:

Clear Sky is worst in the series. Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat are the best.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#16  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17933 Posts

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are over-rated. I tried SoC briefly when it first came out, but never went back to it until this year. I finished SoC with mods and the game really isn't very good. The game has good atmosphere and supernatural elements, and some of the combat encounters were good, but overall it was kind of a half ass production. Poor presentation and story. I really didn't care about any of the NPCs or factions. There was no emotional engagement or motivation throughout the game. I didn't find the missions and objectives interesting. I kind of forced myself to keep playing and finish it. I couldn't get into the sequels either, so I just gave up on them.

Funny thing is... I consider Metro: Last Light the best FPS of last generation and 4A Games is comprised of many of the core members of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. team.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

The nights in Stalker are terrifying, I don't think any other game is as scary. Then you even have mods that make them even more scary and dangerous.

We have players who put down the game and quitted because they got too scared.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@FrozenLiquid said:

I almost said it wasn't last-gen, but it definitely was! Man, last-gen was incredibly long. I was a teenager when it began!

Yeah, STALKER was the best FPS of last gen, and one of the best FPS of all time.

What this guy said, bitchin atmosphere, awesome mechanics, arguably the best enemy AI or one of, and "emergent" gameplay that wasn't a load of wank. And it does it all without the shitty second half of Crysis, being streamlined version of better games (Metroid Prime 3/Bioshock), or just flat out not being enjoyable on any level (like a shit load of FPS campaigns that gen).

Additionally Stalker vanilla is excellent. Complete mod makes it polished, a lot of the other mods make for interesting replays, but mods that always messed with the ballistics in that game? Eh, not a fan.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

With a bit more polish it could have been the best.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3312 Posts

Yeah the game is great. It had some problems with bugs but overall it's still a fantastic game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@BassMan said:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are over-rated. I tried SoC briefly when it first came out, but never went back to it until this year. I finished SoC with mods and the game really isn't very good. The game has good atmosphere and supernatural elements, and some of the combat encounters were good, but overall it was kind of a half ass production. Poor presentation and story. I really didn't care about any of the NPCs or factions. There was no emotional engagement or motivation throughout the game. I didn't find the missions and objectives interesting. I kind of forced myself to keep playing and finish it. I couldn't get into the sequels either, so I just gave up on them.

Funny thing is... I consider Metro: Last Light the best FPS of last generation and 4A Games is comprised of many of the core members of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. team.

I imagine coming to the game so much later it would seem pretty rough. At the time, I thought it was incredible. Finished it three times. Its certainly in my top 3 (along with Last Light )

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

It was very good, probably my favorite of last gen too tbh.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13566 Posts

I loved S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC. I wish it had more polish but it is one of the rare exceptions of an enjoyable experience that has technical problems (there were moments where the game scared the **** out of me).

So yes it was the best last gen.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Yes.

By far.

Edit: with the STALKER 2009 mod.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BassMan  Online

@with_teeth26 said:
@BassMan said:

I imagine coming to the game so much later it would seem pretty rough. At the time, I thought it was incredible. Finished it three times. Its certainly in my top 3 (along with Last Light )

I was willing to overlook the graphics and some of the technical shortcomings. It just didn't impress me though. Crysis came out the same year and is much funner to play and obviously much better graphics.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

I would vote for Half Life 2 over it. Mainly the characters and physics at the time.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Best FPS for SP?

Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 and not for the SP campaign. I'm quite happy to just play their Reset Outpost mode.

I have CoP. I've had it before I bought the above games. But, it's overshadowed by those two. So, I haven't progressed far.

LittleSister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LittleSister
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

I don't think so. I preferred Clear Sky over Shadow of Chernobyl. but my favorite is Halo 3 because of its whole package.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By WitIsWisdom  Online
Member since 2007 • 9620 Posts

No.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BassMan  Online

@jun_aka_pekto: FC3 is really good, but FC4 is disappointing even though it introduced some new mechanics. Setting, story, and missions are better in FC3.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The atmosphere in that game is top class, but the shooting itself is actually not that great.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_imperium

@Heil68 said:

I would vote for Half Life 2 over it. Mainly the characters and physics at the time.

Half Life 2 came out in 2004.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever

@BassMan said:

@jun_aka_pekto: FC3 is really good, but FC4 is disappointing even though it introduced some new mechanics. Setting, story, and missions are better in FC3.

FC3 was ok but too restricted for open world ie return to combat. Kill the point of sandbox FPS

FC4 is just awful i agree,

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@Heil68 said:

ehh, I guess STALKER would have it then, but comparing the 2, I would still pick HL2 over it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cloud_imperium

@Heil68 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@Heil68 said:

ehh, I guess STALKER would have it then, but comparing the 2, I would still pick HL2 over it.

Same here brah.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

First stalker was garbage. 3rd stalker with a ton of mods to actually make it fun was the best of those games. Best fps last gen was probably battlefield 3

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

I'd say Stalker; Call of Pripyat, especially with the Misery mod.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DragonfireXZ95

@BassMan: There's only one thing wrong with your review. You blame Stalker for not having a good story, but then claim Crysis is more fun; excluding an awful story? I mean, I love Crysis 1, but it had a pretty garbage story, albeit a better story than Crysis 2 and 3.

They are both great games, but you can't criticize Stalker's story and then not criticize Crysis' story.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BassMan  Online

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

@BassMan: There's only one thing wrong with your review. You blame Stalker for not having a good story, but then claim Crysis is more fun; excluding an awful story? I mean, I love Crysis 1, but it had a pretty garbage story, albeit a better story than Crysis 2 and 3.

They are both great games, but you can't criticize Stalker's story and then not criticize Crysis' story.

Crysis did not have a great story, but it was easy to follow and the objectives were clear. I didn't even know WTF was going on half the time in SoC and didn't care about the NPCs enough to read through all the bullshit text.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

I prefer the Metro games over STALKER.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

STALKER games are brilliant.... And Clear Sky with everything cranked up and mods easily goes toe to toe with the new games....

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No. It was incredibly buggy on release and the gunplay is pure shit. People love it because of the atmosphere and the open endness. It was kind of the first of its genre.

Yes the gunplay is shit. People assume the gunplay is "realistic". That is not true in the slightest. It's one of the biggest lies I've ever seen in gaming. In truth the gunplay is a step below a JPRG's combat in terms of dependence on stats and formulas. Everything about the combat feels intentionally obtuse. I never felt like I truly had any command of the weapon I was firing. Hitting a target felt like rolling the dice more than any shooter I had played before (Borderlands wasn't out yet).

I know this because there are multiple mods out there that fix that core gameplay. The RNG aspect of the combat is eliminated with these mods yet the atmosphere and tension remain.

I think vanilla STALKER is the most overrated FPS of all time. It's a great game even with the gripes I have with it. The atmosphere and setting are incredible and it has a sense of open endedness that has not been matched. I just do not think it deserves the extremely high praise it gets. People forget than in 2007 when it first released it had a lot of serious quality issues. It also has very overrated combat. Those two factors combined disqualify it from being the best.

Out of last gen there were a few great shooters. Some that come to mind are Crysis, STALKER SOC, ArmA 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, FEAR, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield Bad Company 2... Out of those I can't pick a best, but I put a few above STALKER SOC. CoD 4, FEAR, and 2142 are games I would put above STALKER SOC. They provided more consistent enjoyment than I got out of STALKER SOC.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@lordlors said:

I prefer the Metro games over STALKER.

Problem with Metro is casual gameplay. Simple and easy gameplay as halo, this is bad thing.

Yes, all 3 STALKER GAMES are best FPS of the last gen ever

lol at those people who says Far Cry 3. Really?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ghosts4ever

@Wasdie said:

No. It was incredibly buggy on release and the gunplay is pure shit. People love it because of the atmosphere and the open endness. It was kind of the first of its genre.

Yes the gunplay is shit. People assume the gunplay is "realistic". That is not true in the slightest. It's one of the biggest lies I've ever seen in gaming. In truth the gunplay is a step below a JPRG's combat in terms of dependence on stats and formulas. Everything about the combat feels intentionally obtuse. I never felt like I truly had any command of the weapon I was firing. Hitting a target felt like rolling the dice more than any shooter I had played before (Borderlands wasn't out yet).

I know this because there are multiple mods out there that fix that core gameplay. The RNG aspect of the combat is eliminated with these mods yet the atmosphere and tension remain.

I think vanilla STALKER is the most overrated FPS of all time. It's a great game even with the gripes I have with it. The atmosphere and setting are incredible and it has a sense of open endedness that has not been matched. I just do not think it deserves the extremely high praise it gets. People forget than in 2007 when it first released it had a lot of serious quality issues. It also has very overrated combat. Those two factors combined disqualify it from being the best.

Out of last gen there were a few great shooters. Some that come to mind are Crysis, STALKER SOC, ArmA 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, FEAR, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield Bad Company 2... Out of those I can't pick a best, but I put a few above STALKER SOC. CoD 4, FEAR, and 2142 are games I would put above STALKER SOC. They provided more consistent enjoyment than I got out of STALKER SOC.

1. Gunplay is like one of the best ever. along with FEAR 1. AI was also excellent. the atmosphere is best of all time and i played vanilla version first and it blow me away.

2. It was released at that time when FPS started to feel stale and generic. it was most unique game at that time. COD4 was released that year despite getting positive reviews it was most overrated game of that time and open the door for ruining FPS genre. a very short campaign, on rail, very scripted, only NPC can open door and no exploration and secrets. thus many developer start copying this formula and ruined FPS genre of entire last gen until Old School FPS (Doom, Shadow warrior) returned and save the genre

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Its among the very best thats for sure,at least SoC and CoP,brilliant atmosphere,great gunplay and an overall fantastic world(zone) to explore.

Very few games come close to what GSC achieved with the Stalker series.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DragonfireXZ95

@BassMan said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Crysis did not have a great story, but it was easy to follow and the objectives were clear. I didn't even know WTF was going on half the time in SoC and didn't care about the NPCs enough to read through all the bullshit text.

Oh, I had no problem with that in Stalker. Guess we just had different experiences. Haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are so slow and boring. Should be called the Y.A.W.N.E.R games haha!

In my opinion Killzone 2 was the best FPS of last gen. No other FPS in my eyes was as exciting or as nice looking. Also the sound of the guns has yet to be bettered.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DragonfireXZ95

@boycie said:

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are so slow and boring. Should be called the Y.A.W.N.E.R games haha!

In my opinion Killzone 2 was the best FPS of last gen. No other FPS in my eyes was as exciting or as nice looking. Also the sound of the guns has yet to be bettered.

Talk about living in a stagnating game genre. O.o