Was Rocksteady actually a blight on gaming?

• 65 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Was Rocksteady actually a blight on gaming? (38 votes)

yes 100% 37%
No (possibly) 63%
No Caption Provided

Was the normalization of Batman combat a positive or negative for gaming? That barely qualifies as gameplay?

Or is this snooty elitism talking from someone very good at games?

• 
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17906 Posts

That type of combat is about mixing up the attacks while keeping it accessible, looking good, and making the average player feel like a badass. I enjoyed it in the Batman games and Mad Max. The combat is only one element of those games. It was more than serviceable.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70398 Posts

I didn't like the combat and like everything else, people copy anything that the general public favors.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25060 Posts

It work in Batman. but doesnot work in any game thus negative impact thus ruined game.

also. it also work in Spiderman. super hero games should be simple games. but these mechanics implement in other action games make it worse.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59321 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

It work in Batman. but doesnot work in any game thus negative impact thus ruined game.

also. it also work in Spiderman. super hero games should be simple games. but these mechanics implement in other action games make it worse.

I agree. It ruined combat in games.

However I disagree Superhero games should have a requirement of being simple. This is partly why most suck.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2258 Posts

Loved it, but then again I don’t really care much for souls games or dmc games…

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

I'm fine with it, they added challenge to the combat by making some enemies immune from direct attacks requiring attacking from rear after hoping over, some require stunning, some require players keep up a combo chain because they can only be taken down by combo chain takedown move.

I'm fine with it. People love to act like games aren't games because some stupid reason, like I dunno how walking over a hidden medkit that intant heals someone on the verge of death is any better than slow health regen.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2489 Posts

Yes. It's poor. I finished writing the script for my Arkham City critique, but narrating it is proving difficult. The first quarter or so took twenty-three minutes, by which point my throat was dry and I kept reading the same lines again and again. Will just record my voice sentence by sentence in Reaper. Hope WB an YouTube don't copyright-rape me. Will definitely make a second version for a file host like Mega.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Warm_Gun

@BassMan: All the elements are kind of shit, not just combat.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

Iunno. Arkham Asylum was pretty rad. Didn't care much for all the other games that seem to copy it. Chose to not play those LotR Batman games because they seemed sucky, not because they copy Batman combat. Spiderman, same thing. Looks boring.

@lamprey263 said:

like I dunno how walking over a hidden medkit that intant heals someone on the verge of death is any better than slow health regen.

Well, for me it's more fun to stay in the action thanks to running over a medkit rather than waiting behind cover until my health is back. Kinda hate slow regen, actually. Especially when it's just shown as various degrees of red on your screen.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1279 Posts

People enjoyed the games and praised the combat. It's normal for people to be influnced by a successful idea. I still find there's variation in combat in new games to play and original new ideas, so I have no issues.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup: Super heroes are.overpowered in movies. They also target towarda younger audience. They should be simple but Batman arkham games were masterpieces.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44540 Posts

Really enjoyed the games myself as well as the combat so I’ll vote, “No”.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Silentchief  Online
Member since 2021 • 7058 Posts

The combat was revolutionary at the time not to mention it was a top tier franchise.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:

@uninspiredcup: Super heroes are.overpowered in movies. They also target towarda younger audience. They should be simple but Batman arkham games were masterpieces.

Mario and Zelda are targeted towards children, they are more complex than Arkham. And treat the consumer with more intelligence.

This is a very odd statement my friend.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup
@warm_gun said:

Yes. It's poor. I finished writing the script for my Arkham City critique, but narrating it is proving difficult. The first quarter or so took twenty-three minutes, by which point my throat was dry and I kept reading the same lines again and again. Will just record my voice sentence by sentence in Reaper. Hope WB an YouTube don't copyright-rape me. Will definitely make a second version for a file host like Mega.

Nail on the head.

Arkham is actually incredibly overrated, even if we somehow ignore the non-existent combat.

It made gaming worse, and combat in general. The Nazis were a trend. Won't be praising them.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 529 Posts

I feel like the Assassin's Creed games had a similar combat system at the same time Batman came out. I think the combat system was really inventive at the time, but after it was replicated through three batman games, all the following AC games, 2 Mordor games, and three Spiderman games, mad max ect, it's pretty stale. Still though, I don't fault Rocksteady for making a combat system that's been popular enough to replicate for over a decade because if the games with that combat system continue to sell then developers are going to make it. I'd Blame the consumers for buying the same re-hashed games over and over if it bugged me that much.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10551 Posts

was never a huge fan of the combat but did really like asylum. didn't care much for the series once it went open world.

personally don't hold it against rocksteady that their style got ripped off so regularly. only game i can think of that did a good job with it was shadow of mordor. spiderman the opposite.

@warm_gun said:

sounds like critiquing the combat is more difficult than the combat

edit: also cup i'm pretty sure ive seen you praise origins

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Mario and Zelda are targeted towards children, they are more complex than Arkham. And treat the consumer with more intelligence.

mario is not superhero. superhero mean someone superhuman. overpowered.

this is why Superman game is impossible because he is most overpowered. cant get damage. Batman is at least vulnerable.

If I want to play complex game. I wont play Superhero game ie Batman or Spiderman. I would play Half life or STALKER. if I want to relax. I play Arkham or Spiderman.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Macutchi said:

sounds like critiquing the combat is more difficult than the combat

edit: also cup i'm pretty sure ive seen you praise origins

Depiction of Bane/gameplay

Also not Rocksteady, who gave us somehow an even worse Bane than Batman And Robin.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

this is why Superman game is impossible because he is most overpowered. cant get damage. Batman is at least vulnerable.

If I want to play complex game. I wont play Superhero game ie Batman or Spiderman. I would play Half life or STALKER. if I want to relax. I play Arkham or Spiderman.

This game is more complex than any of these.

Loading Video...

As is this.

Loading Video...

^ Also the best Superhero game nobody remembers

Loading Video...

Also Batman defeated Superman (Robocop)

Big brain smarts while Superman is OK USA Resetera user.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Macutchi

@uninspiredcup: it's still arkham / batman combat even if made by wb. but you liked its gameplay?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Macutchi said:

@uninspiredcup: it's still arkham / batman combat even if made by wb. but you liked its gameplay?

It's gameplay was the exact same barring the detective stuff added.

Only thing I like is 1. The setting which reminds me of Batman Returns, and pretty sure that was deliberate 2. Bane, my fav character who in almost all forms of media outside the comics is terrible 3. The Joker in this is actually more interesting than Rocksteadys

As a game, with gameplay, it's a one and done. Something never ever returned to, and I typically just google the cutscene to say randomly on the internet "hey look, This Bane isn't shit"

Also a game that gets looked down upon as a bastard compared to Rocksteady, with them seemingly sharing that attitude. Which made their downfall all the sweeter.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

This game is more complex than any of these.

Loading Video...

As is this.

Loading Video...

^ Also the best Superhero game nobody remembers

Loading Video...

Also Batman defeated Superman (Robocop)

Big brain smarts while Superman is OK USA Resetera user.

1. Fighting game

2. Original superhero Real time Tactics/strategy game

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

1. Fighting game

These aren't arguments my friend.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Macutchi
@uninspiredcup said:

Only thing I like is 1. The setting which reminds me of Batman Returns, and pretty sure that was deliberate 2. Bane, my fav character who in almost all forms of media outside the comics is terrible 3. The Joker in this is actually more interesting than Rocksteadys

As a game, with gameplay, it's a one and done. Something never ever returned to, and I typically just google the cutscene to say randomly on the internet "hey look, This Bane isn't shit"

Also a game that gets looked down upon as a bastard compared to Rocksteady, with them seemingly sharing that attitude. Which made their downfall all the sweeter.

i think they called knight the arkham trilogy conclusion i.e. the third game

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3113 Posts

I would need to replay Asylum to see if it holds up, but I loved it at the time. It's kinda crazy to think this style of combat, and Demon's Souls came out the same year. I think both have their place.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Macutchi said:
@uninspiredcup said:

They excluded it from canon yes. Even though it told a better story. And had a Bane that was actually Bane and not The Incredible Dumb.

Seen as a filler game, the bastard B-Team. KOTOR 2.

Do not understand why everyone is so resistant to me being right. Very odd.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3504 Posts

Could never get into their games. But things are so break when it comes to single player that I wish we had more of them.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

1. Fighting game

These aren't arguments my friend.

of course they are.

suppose you can make superman game but not being superman ie overpowered fly anywhere. instead deep and complex immersive sim. that will not be superman my friend.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 uninspiredcup

They already made a Superman game.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

No. I don't love Arkham's combat, but it's fun enough and was unique at the time. Of course, I didn't end up playing a lot of the games that aped it. Might feel differently if I had.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39692 Posts

One of the most dogshit combat systems i've ever tried. The only person i know that enjoyed it greatly, and even considers it very skillful is @Maroxad

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Macutchi

@uninspiredcup said:
@Macutchi said:

They excluded it from canon yes. Even though it told a better story. And had a Bane that was actually Bane and not The Incredible Dumb.

Seen as a filler game, the bastard B-Team. KOTOR 2.

Do not understand why everyone is so resistant to me being right. Very odd.

then you have ghost praising spiderman and tlou. strange times

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts

That combat was both slick looking and also easy to grapple with. It's not rocksteadys fault that many others copied them. AAA game developers don't often have original creative ideas and so the arkham games benefitted by having something "new" and "fresh" in the gameplay.... That it's become a norm in gaming is something I blame on the unoriginal copy artists at other developers who couldn't think of their own combat system.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23992 Posts

Neither.

Batman combat sucked. But it was the fault of other devs for copying it. Not Rocksteady's fault.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23992 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

One of the most dogshit combat systems i've ever tried. The only person i know that enjoyed it greatly, and even considers it very skillful is @Maroxad

No...

Even Souls Combat > Batman combat.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup

@Maroxad said:

Neither.

Batman combat sucked. But it was the fault of other devs for copying it. Not Rocksteady's fault.

But didn't ask if it was their fault. Asked if they were objectively a positive or a negative.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39692 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

No...

Even Souls Combat > Batman combat.

Now that i cought you in 4K, you deny these allegations? We both know you love it, but is ashamed of admitting it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

I actually really loved the overall formula of that combat, it keeps thing casual enough that it isn't intimidating while removing the failure-frustration because you're only really punished if you screw up (which is how it should be). Not everything has to be a brutal grind where you try 20+ times to beat a fight or whatever; sometimes indulging in a power fantasy and just annihilating foes is enjoyable. And remember: Batman, a regular guy, constantly defeats superpowered villains (and allies, occasionally) so the power fantasy isn't really out of line.

Concerning the Arkham games, I liked the stealth aspects as well; they were a good combination of immersion and cinematic, utlizing setpieces well while not removing you from the game itself.

Concerning their influence, I'm a big fan of the two "Middle Earth" games because they're a good blend of Assassin's Creed exploration coupled with the Arkham-style combat, while utilizing a great IP in a way that honors the source material quite well (well, except for maybe sexy Shelob 😋 ...)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

Man, I kind of feel like Butter's in that WoW South Park episode where he's like "Aww but I like Hello Kitty Island Adventure"

Everyone hating on me for liking a game they hate and having fun. Sheesh 😋😁

Loading Video...

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Warm_Gun

Just occurred to me that Cup's precious Tomb Raider is fucked up now in part because of Arkham Asylum. The button prompt to do flashy stealth animation with cinematic cam, the idiot challenges that appear at the top of your screen ("Kill three enemies completed."), sixth sense revealing secrets and X-ray, it's all there.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup
@warm_gun said:

Just occurred to me that Cup's precious Tomb Raider is fucked up now in part because of Arkham Asylum. The button prompt to do flashy stealth animation with cinematic cam, the idiot challenges that appear at the top of your screen ("Kill three enemies completed."), sixth sense revealing secrets and X-ray, it's all there.

It's been fucked up since Legend.

Guardian Of Light and Temple of Osiris are the only good Crystal Dynamics TR titles.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Warm_Gun

@uninspiredcup: But last reboot followed Arkham Asylum and was further decline.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46650 Posts

I'm not sure, but I am sure that there isn't any talent working at Rocksteady any longer.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56402 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm not sure, but I am sure that there isn't any talent working at Rocksteady any longer.

Wait, did they went with Mr. Freeze to Mrs. Freeze?

Now, if they were trying to go with Mr. Freeze's Wife resurrection kind of thing, I would accept this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 R4gn4r0k

@davillain said:

Wait, did they went with Mr. Freeze to Mrs. Freeze?

Now, if they were trying to go with Mr. Freeze's Wife resurrection kind of thing, I would accept this.

She's called Nora, and as part of a bigger problem:

Their game launched barebones, and their live service is off to a very weak start.

Now you could excuse one or the other:

Either a game launches feature complete, and it has a less-than-thrilling post launch support: that's forgivable

Or a game launches barebones, but then blows it out of the park with constant updates and post launch support: that's no mans sky right there.

But Suicide Squad:

a) was lacking content (gameplay) and ended its story on a cliffhanger for live service

b) started their live service really weak with more grinding and very little pay off... promising more in part 2

c) part 2 well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SuicideSquadGaming/s/aK4iLSrfvX

It's like they don't want any players to return. Instead doing the opposite of what people want at all times.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 uninspiredcup

Wait, that's Nora?

Even fucking, Batman And Robin didn't mess it up.

She's suppose to essentially be a frozen princess, not an angry Resetera user.

What the ****.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

Nah.

Modern Rocksteady yes, old Rocksteady no.

Arkham combat has aged very poorly by virtue of the fact that everyone else iterated them into obsolescence very quickly, but Arkham was a big push forward for enjoyable but accessible combat that's meant as one element of a greater package and not necessarily the sole focus.

You compare to other similar action adventures of the time before that, like Twilight Princess, Bioshock, Uncharted 1 and it's pretty clear that Arkham was a welcome step-up. The only one that's probably better before it is Ninja Gaiden, which isn't accessible at all and kind of stretches the definition of this admittedly broad and vague genre.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

Wait, that's Nora?

Even fucking, Batman And Robin didn't mess it up.

She's suppose to essentially be a frozen princess, not an angry Resetera user.

What the ****.

They can change anyone you adored into a racist, glutton, karen and there ain't nobody gonna stop them.