Was It Any Good? : Final Fantasy 8

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

It was about one to two years ago I did a regular SW series where I took a bunch of games that were controversal because people couldn't decide if it was good or not and asked SW if they were good or not, and now realize I left this one out.

Seriously, I never truly found out what is it about this game that has so many people either calling it the worst or best FF game ever. Can someone tell me?

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

It's one of my favorite games of all time, and probably my favorite RPG of all time.

river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
first jrpg i played and beat itwill always hold a spot in my gaming world so i cant help but say it was great
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

No it's not. It's my least favorite of the series and is the only rpg that I didn't bother to finish.

Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

No it's not. It's my least favorite of the series and is the only rpg that I didn't bother to finish.

Seabas989
Here's what I want to hear from all of you: Why? because no one's ever gone into detail of why, which is strange, because everybody tells me why they loved other FF games like 6, 7, 9, 10, and recently 13.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts

Yeah I thought it was pretty good back in the day when I played it. I was only about 13 or 14 years old then though.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Boomshaffted
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

Worst FF of the gen with some of the least charismatic characters of the series, a *terrible* spell system that turned things into a grind worth of an MMO, an utterly forgettable antagonist, and complete with a juvenile love story perfect for reeling in the pre-teens. May be my least favourite FF game ever, actually. I literally had to force myself to finish the bloody thing.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

I love that game, is my favorite FF and i didn't play in the release date, i played it in 2004 if i'm not wrong.

Why i think is so good, welli liked the story and the gameplay a lot, and the graphics are terrific...for a PSOne game of course, besides, it really grab my attention, i don't think is the best game ever, or even the best JRPG ever, but i really like the game

coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts

my favorite final fantasy the guardian forces are sweet shiva is awesome im playing it on my psp

and squall ftw

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

ChrisSpartan117

Here's what I want to hear from all of you: Why? because no one's ever gone into detail of why, which is strange, because everybody tells me why they loved other FF games like 6, 7, 9, 10, and recently 13.

Well it's because I have been asked this many times so I'll be blunt:

• the charcters were forgettable
  • the villains were forgettable
  • the junction system was terrible and unbalanced
  • drawing magic is annoying and a chore
  • the gil/money syetem was also annoying because it requires you to take a test
  • the summonings were not skippable
  • Squall is about as likeable as a Mosquito
  • the story is a mess
  • I rather buy weapons then upgrade them
  • magic collecting :? Seriously I use magic and then my character is weaker

Now granted the soundtrack, graphics, art design and overall presentation were great but overall the game was bad.

EDIT: Squall and Siefer has to be the worst "rivalry" I've seen in video games.

neji122793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 neji122793
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

I liked the story in ff8 but thats about I think it my most hated ff game.

But my most favorite is ff9........ lol

Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

I think it is a great game, but an average FF. The junction system was cool, but if you knew what you were doing and where to find good magic early it was too easy to break the game. That and drawing 100 of a spell sucked.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Broken game, but a joy to play from start to finish (well except most of disc 2).
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

It was alright. The one thing I absolutely hated about it was the junction system and from the third disc on the story turned to crap.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Great music, great characters, great combat. But horrible story.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Worst FF ever imo.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Probably my favorite Final Fantasy alongside VI.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I heard it was better than 7, but i've never played it.

Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Abicus7
Member since 2007 • 2009 Posts

7>9>8.

8 was good but far from perfect. The junction system was a terrible mess, and the whole draw magic for 90% of the game to become strong got boring fast.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Of course it was good. Maybe not as good as 7,9,6, and a few others, but it's still a great game.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
i didnt like it. i liked the content of disc one overall....but somehwere early on disc 2 it just seemed to take a nose dive. also squall is the most annoying character i have ever seen in a computer game. ive heard of complaints about cloud in FF7 being an annoying moaning anti hero....but he has nothing, absolutely nothing, on squall in the mopey and moaning department. the other characters were also forgettable and meh and the story was a mess. the battle system was crap (with auto levelling of enemies....why? WHY???) and the magic and draw system discouraged the player from using magic....absolutely daft. not FFs finest hour....not even close.
bloodcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bloodcord
Member since 2004 • 151 Posts

Worst FF of the gen with some of the least charismatic characters of the series, a *terrible* spell system that turned things into a grind worth of an MMO, an utterly forgettable antagonist, and complete with a juvenile love story perfect for reeling in the pre-teens. May be my least favourite FF game ever, actually. I literally had to force myself to finish the bloody thing.

Boomshaffted

lol not ragging on you...but everything you hate about it is what I loved about it. Also love the part where you go back in time and play the hero before squall

Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts
Personally my fave Final Fantasy.
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#24 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"]

bloodcord

lol not ragging on you...but everything you hate about it is what I loved about it. Also love the part where you go back in time and play the hero before squall

Agreed with you there. 8 was the first Final Fantasy I started, so it's got a special place amongst the others for me, even if it's not my favorite of the series. (that would be IX)

richsena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 richsena
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

I did not think Final Fantasy 8 very good. There was a lot of aniticipattioncoming up to the game due to Final Fantasy 7 before itand the demo was amazing (it is how the game should of started) but I did not like the characters. Squall was indecisive, underdeveloped and just overall unheroic (liked him much more in Kingdom Hearts). I liked the concept of the gunblade but like the game itself, it was all style and no substance. I didn't like the romance in the story and the whole plot was just forgettable to me.

SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts

It's one of my favourite games of all time. In fact, it was my favourite game for most of my childhood. Even, now I don't really have a game I'd call my favourite, but if I did, there's a good chance it'd be FF8.

It's odd because I like all of the things people hate about this game. I liked the characters, the villians, the storyline. The draw system wasn't quite as good as the regular MP system, but when paired with the junction system worked quite well. I liked how it was a challenge to obtain weapons, especially the ultimate weapons for each character, I thought the GF/learning abilities was the best system the series has had, and finally, the card game. I loved the card game, so much so that I probably spent just as much, if not more time playing it than the actualy game itself. Best minigame ever.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

This game aged very well unlike FF7 I played and beat the game last year and its the best FF game ever.

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Hell yes. One of my favourite FFs and Aljosa's personal favourite. :3

Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts

It's on a par with FF6, awesome game. It does have some balance issues, but most RPGs do and the setting sucks you in. Perhaps still worthy of play if you missed it.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
You know what's better? FF IX. :P
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Dystopian-X

That automatically makes it fail right there. :P

Aljosa is my boy and all, but he has no more credibility concerning FF games, because of FFXIII. He hyped the game so high that I can never look at Lightning without thinking "aljosa"...and then he didn't even finish the game! That's like taking a small child to dinner, and the kid wont stop screaming "I want the big boy burger" over and over. You get the kid the burger and then he doesn't finish it. The kid should be forced to eat every bite, even if it makes him puke. ;)

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

I personally think FF8 is the best, up there with VI, VII, and X. Favortie part was the card game. Jesus, I put in about 40 hours into the card game only.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts
8 Was my favourite by far.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

One on my favourite games of all time......

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I liked it. But I liked IX better.
qbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 qbell
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts
8 and 13 are the two i stopped playing cuz i didnt like em. i still like 8 more than 13. unlimted summons made the gameplay kind of a joke
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#37 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

Its in the top 5 FFs for me. IX is still the best one.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Its fantastic.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Dystopian-X

He told me XI was his favorite! :evil:

Anyway, never finished it (much like all the recent games I played) but it was fantastic from what I played.

Really? He told me XI was his favorite :(

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

I thought it was just just as good as FF7. Great musical score. Better story than most recent FF's for sure.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#41 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Loved it. Great card minigame, (mostly) great stories, my only complaint centers around how godawful Rinoa is as a character and how reliant the whole romance is on her. Better characters like Quistis are squandered after the first disc.
judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 judge__judy
Member since 2005 • 2129 Posts

At the time I thought it was an awesome game. Awesome graphics and atmosphere. I went to replay it though and it was really easy and unbalanced and some parts progressed way too slowly and were boring. Still pretty fun though just turning enimies into cards and playing card games. I'd say it's still a great game but I prefer 6, 7, 9 and 10 to it

benbeckman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 benbeckman
Member since 2010 • 702 Posts
final fantasy 6/9 for life
OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

You know, for future FF games SE should really bring back the card game. I would buy the next FF instantly if it had a card minigame in it.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

My favorite final fantasy game.

It had a more mature plot that was easier to relate to with lots of political issues and a mix of similar culture with sci-fi elements.

The school aspect was cool and some of the towns were nice.

There are a lot of memorable parts I can name.

The parts where you play as Squal's father in the past and experience a different point of view and more back story.

The part where you go into space and find the Ragnarok ship and have to fight the aliens.

The part where your garden school fights another garden school. There is one scene where you are hanging from a rope and must beat the soldiers off and the whole background is one big cg battle scene which at the time was mind blowing.

The first time where you try to kill the Sorceress and all the cool cg scenes in between.

The time where you had to infiltrate a train and you had to unlock the carts from each other but stay hidden on the top of the train while guards patrolled

The first time you get to the huge futuristic city.

The time where you got captured and had to escape a huge prison in the desert.

The time your team had to infiltrate a base as spies and stop the launching of some missiles.

The huge castle

And the ending movie where they show the viewpoint of a video camera being held by one of the students and everyone is together in a party and Zell is choking on hotdogs, and Irvine is hitting on women and making Selphie jealous.

I think a lot of people hated FF8 because they hyped it up too much after FF7 came out.

They also didn't take too much time to read into the story because it is written in a way where you have to piece everything together by carefully reading all the back story.

And some people think they are too manly to play a game with a love story, although I agree that Rinoa was a bit annoying at times.

Squal was a bit too depressed all the time but in real life there are many people like that. His life was not always hunky dory and he had a lotof responsibility shifted to him which was hard since he was anti-social.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

Boomshaffted

Final Fantasy 8, IMO, was terrible, mostly for the reasons that Boomshafted's already listed. I can't stress enough how utterly abysmal the Draw system was. Nothing like fighting in half-hour long random battles to build up your characters. (I'm not against random battles, in fact I think they're a cornerstone of all the great FF games. It's just that they drag out for SO long in this one). For me, FF8's craptitude is right up there with FF12, and the only good thing about it is that it paved the way for FF9, which turned out to be one of the Top 3 in the series.

princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts

One of my favorites in the FF series.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Can't even think about FF games, sick of them. FF13 was the nail in the coffin. FF8 was meh, if you want to play an over rated RPG then it's perfect.
Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
It had a weird but extremely deep party system that was extremely rewarding when you took the time to dig into it. Drawing magic spells was weird, but junctioning them to any stat was awesome. The battle system, as with all Final Fantasies, was extremely fun. The characters were also better developed than those in FFVII, if less interesting. Conversely, the story was horrible. The plot was convoluted and nonsensical, the main enemy didn't even make her appearance until the end of the game, and the idea that the characters lost their memories due to using the Guardian Forces was one of the most contrived plot elements ever. Also, the scenery artists were too fond of pastels. It's a really good game, though. It has its flaws, but mostly, it's just different.