VR might be cool after all!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I just saw this and I think this is true innovation. The design of the Oculus Touch is beyond clever, now this is what I believe could be a real game changer.

-

-

-

Sorry if old but I've been disconnected from everything for the last week and I'm gonna miss on watching the live conferences too. It's not gonna be the same to watch them pre-recorded on youtube.... ;(

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

So, I can do more than just stare at Cortana.

Xbox won the generation. Everyone should just motherfucking go home.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Well Project Bore-pheus just became obsolete. Not surprising.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Nope.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@davem1992: good luck with your ping pong balls and 480p experience. Take some motion sickness pills ahead of time for some safe measure.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Ok we are getting closer, I'm ready for my surrogate robot to send out into the world, make it happen Oculus lol

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 BruceBenzing
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

What do you expect when you name something after the god of sleep? Even Sony know's Morpheus is boring,,,

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Looks like Wii nunchucks

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Sandals...that guy is wearing fucking sandals.

I get the whole "Silicon-Valley-techie-I-am-so-smart-I-can't-possibly-be-confined-by-societal-norms-look-how-edgy-I-am" persona...but seriously?

Sandals?

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

lol standing to play games, if you thought the Wii was awful, which most people do then this is equally as bad.

lolvrgaming

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Honestly don't see any innovation with these VR projects, all they are doing is strapping an LCD/LED screen to your face and adding sensors to get orientation / distance using cameras or light sensors which is nothing new. Now it seems they are pairing it with what looks like a cross between a wiimote and psmove controller with some added proximity sensors.

It's nothing that could not have been done 10 years ago, the only barrier holding back VR is computing power (specifically graphics) and display technology.

VR needs to just be as light as a large pair of glasses with a similar form factor without straps, would also be great if it covered peripheral vision as well or it will not be totally immersive.

Maybe by version 4 or 5 it will be ready for mainstream if it lasts that long.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

After all? I was intrigued before it was even fully funded on kickstarter.

How does one NOT get excited by the premise of VR?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 parkurtommo

@Bruin1986 said:

I get the whole "Silicon-Valley-techie-I-am-so-smart-I-can't-possibly-be-confined-by-societal-norms-look-how-edgy-I-am" persona...but seriously?

Sandals?

You do understand that most of the time, socially inappropriate behavior and presentation is normally due to disinterest or pure ignorance and not is not intentional?

I realize this is probably not the best place to discuss this sort of thing but it really bothers me how people judge in such myopic ways.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@parkurtommo said:
@Bruin1986 said:

Sandals?

You do understand that most of the time, socially inappropriate behavior and presentation is normally due to disinterest or pure ignorance and not is not intentional?

I realize this is probably not the best place to discuss this sort of thing but it really bothers me how people judge in such myopic ways.

Not gonna lie. I'm judging. 100% judgment. I don't know him and I'm still judging him. I'm a monster.

I can also believe with 90% certainty that the presenter is perfectly aware that wearing sandals with slacks and a sports jacket is, well, atypical for fashion. He's not some stereotypical basement dweller with an aversion to all things sunlight. He's the founder of Oculus, which I believe was purchased by Facebook for like $2 billion. His position would force him to interact with dozens of business people, and thousands of testers (as he stated in his presentation) on a daily basis. This blunt rejection of societal norms is also worn as a badge of honor so to speak by many people within the tech industry. It's done in an attempt to distance themselves from what is traditionally considered "big business", namely finance, despite the reality that some of these tech companies are the wealthiest corporations on the planet.

Anyway, my reaction was likely unwarranted. I just couldn't stop staring at his feet whenever they were shown. I must not impress my myopic, bigoted paradigms upon others. Nay, how Republican!

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@Bruin1986 said:

I can also believe with 90% certainty that the presenter is perfectly aware that wearing sandals with slacks and a sports jacket is, well, atypical for fashion.

A lot of people, especially IT folk don't give two shits about fashion. It's a stupid concept to begin with.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 parkurtommo

@Bruin1986 said:
@parkurtommo said:
@Bruin1986 said:

Sandals?

Not gonna lie. I'm judging. 100% judgment. I don't know him and I'm still judging him. I'm a monster.

I can also believe with 90% certainty that the presenter is perfectly aware that wearing sandals with slacks and a sports jacket is, well, atypical for fashion. He's not some stereotypical basement dweller with an aversion to all things sunlight. He's the founder of Oculus, which I believe was purchased by Facebook for like $2 billion. His position would force him to interact with dozens of business people, and thousands of testers (as he stated in his presentation) on a daily basis. This blunt rejection of societal norms is also worn as a badge of honor so to speak by many people within the tech industry. It's done in an attempt to distance themselves from what is traditionally considered "big business", namely finance, despite the reality that some of these tech companies are the wealthiest corporations on the planet.

Anyway, my reaction was likely unwarranted. I just couldn't stop staring at his feet whenever they were shown. I must not impress my myopic, bigoted paradigms upon others. Nay, how Republican!

Say they do want to distance themselves from the cliché business look. Is this not a good thing? I would say it could be interpreted as a more friendly attitude, to not just go with a classic suit and boring shoes. But god forbid deviation from the norm, that's what *gasp* hipsters do!

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

lol doubt it. It's perhaps one of the gimmickiest things ever invented.

It's quite like the virtual boy: uncomfortable, irritating to the eyes and there's no good game/ideas to be dedicated to the VR so far.

Come get me when VR evolves into literally putting my subconscious into an avatar in about 50+ years, if that's even scientifically possible. I'd play Dark Souls 19, The next blizzard game after overwatch and HL3 in that shit for sure.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

um... Sony had already implemented the move controllers to the Morpheus... so Oculus just made controllers for their system... Sony was already ahead of the game in that one...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

How is adding two Wii nunchuk controllers supposed to be a game changer?

FashionFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FashionFreak
Member since 2004 • 2326 Posts

Maybe now we have control both arms of a character. If you're holding to guns in a shooter, you can fire in two directions at once.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Damn I thought it was bondage gear.

FashionFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FashionFreak
Member since 2004 • 2326 Posts

Does it come with a ball gag disguised as a mic

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

The irony behind all this virtual reality stuff is that you all the first party games look like last generation games and some even worse... Not really sure I want to be immersed in a world with muddy texture's and AA all over the place thank you.