Vote for the best RPG of 2009!!!!

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

2009 has been a great year, especially for RPGs. All, or at least of them, RPGs have been some of the most memorable, and have provided us with an experience like no other. The question, though, is this- which RPG trounced all others? Which RPG in 2009 was the best of the lot? Vote for your favourite RPG of 2009!!

Some games might have been left out, and I am sorry for that. If you want to vote for a game that is not listed in the poll, then please vote for Others and specify which game you wanted to vote for.

Cheers!

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Demons Souls easily.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

Dragon Age hands down. Demon Souls was a huge disapointment, I have not played Mario and Luigi, and Pokemon is fun but not great.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

Out of that list Demon's Souls because it is the only one in there that I played.

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
Dragon Age for me.
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 khoofia_pika

Dragon Age hands down. Demon Souls was a huge disapointment, I have not played Mario and Luigi, and Pokemon is fun but not great.

heysharpshooter
Well, Demon's Souls was way too hard, but I wouldn't say it was a disappointment...
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Dragon Age for me.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Demon's Souls for me. I don't really like the combat system for dragon age

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Torchlight. Never heard of this Dragon's Souls and Demon Age business.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yandere

[QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

khoofia_pika

Well, Demon's Souls was way too hard, but I wouldn't say it was a disappointment...

I think Demon's Souls difficulty was a disappointment, considering how "hard" it was supposed to be.

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 heysharpshooter

khoofia_pika

I am not going to get into it, but I have posted a lot on Demon Souls in the past. Look up my old threads/posts if you really want to see why I think this way.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="heysharpshooter"]

Yandere

I think Demon's Souls difficulty was a disappointment, considering how "hard" it was supposed to be.

I dont believe Atlus or From Software made and extreme difficulty claims, it was mostly journalists and such, but yeah, the difficulty was underwhelming,

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 khoofia_pika

Yandere

:? What're you talking about? It was difficult as hell! You couldn't pause, you died every two seconds (exaggeration, but you get the point)... what more do you want?
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

havent played DAO yet. I love DS and M&L though. so out of what i played, i'd say DS has the better gameplay and replayability, M&L has better story

heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"] Well, Demon's Souls was way too hard, but I wouldn't say it was a disappointment...khoofia_pika

:? What're you talking about? It was difficult as hell! You couldn't pause, you died every two seconds (exaggeration, but you get the point)... what more do you want?

Intelligent enemy AI that out thinks you and doesn't attack with obvious, easily exploitable attack patterns. Instead, we got beefed up dudes who can kill you in one hit and take several hits to die.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 khoofia_pika

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="Yandere"]

heysharpshooter

Intelligent enemy AI that out thinks you and doesn't attack with obvious, easily exploitable attack patterns. Instead, we got beefed up dudes who can kill you in one hit and take several hits to die.

Whichever way they opted for, the game WAS difficult. There's no denying that.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"] Well, Demon's Souls was way too hard, but I wouldn't say it was a disappointment...khoofia_pika

Here is what could have made it harder:

Make the game less forgiving, allowing you to go back and get all your souls? At least throw all the souls away, some RPGs delete all your progress.

Making more diverse enemy attack patterns.

Not adding player made hints.

Not adding player assist.

Not telling you what stats the items raise.

Not making experience and money the same thing (makes grinding too easy).

Not adding that spell that one hit kills enemies (doesn't work on bosses or players).

etc.

Me dying less then 60 times for a 80+ hour playthrough isn't a lot at all.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 khoofia_pika

Yandere

Make the game less forgiving, allowing you to go back and get all your souls? At least throw all the souls away, some RPGs delete all your progress.

Not adding that spell that one hit kills enemies (doesn't work on bosses or players).

etc.

That certainly would have made the game much harder, but those would then qualify as cheap shots, making the game hard just for the sake of it. Most of the points you listed can get really unfair with the player. There's a big difference between difficulty and cheap shots. If the game incorporated those features, it certainly would have gotten worse scores.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"] :? What're you talking about? It was difficult as hell! You couldn't pause, you died every two seconds (exaggeration, but you get the point)... what more do you want?khoofia_pika

etc.

That certainly would have made the game much harder, but those would then qualify as cheap shots, making the game hard just for the sake of it. Most of the points you listed can get really unfair with the player. There's a big difference between difficulty and cheap shots. If the game incorporated those features, it certainly would have gotten worse scores.

I don't see how not helping the player counts as "cheap shots", anyways I agree it would've gotten worse scores.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 khoofia_pika

etc.

Yandere

I don't see how not helping the player counts as "cheap shots", anyways I agree it would've gotten worse scores.

By "cheap shots," I mean using unfair ways to make the game hard.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Demon's Souls. I think it's much better than Dragon Age: Origins.

Avatar image for BloodSeeker1337
BloodSeeker1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BloodSeeker1337
Member since 2009 • 1278 Posts
Dragon Age Origins
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 heysharpshooter

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"] That certainly would have made the game much harder, but those would then qualify as cheap shots, making the game hard just for the sake of it. Most of the points you listed can get really unfair with the player. There's a big difference between difficulty and cheap shots. If the game incorporated those features, it certainly would have gotten worse scores.khoofia_pika

By "cheap shots," I mean using unfair ways to make the game hard.

I would say fighting beefed up dumb***es with a finicky camera is pretty "cheap shot" The game is already artifically difficult. Nothing about the AI or the rules makes the game difficult. The developers merely put you at an unfair advantage and then get you stuck on the enviroment to die in one hit. Since so many people appear to be masocists on SW(wheter they died a lot or had to deal with the games drab, uninspired story and characters), it was popular here.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#24 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Dragon Age : Origins for me.

definently a great RPG. and Bioware never fails for me.

takes some getting used to for me.

Bakaroyna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bakaroyna
Member since 2005 • 615 Posts
Dragon Age for me, it's probably my RPG of the generation. Really epic story, and tons of different outcomes - some small, some huge - depending on your style of play.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Dragon Age Origins by a grand-canyon-sized-margin over the rest.

Bioware does it again with sweeping and very intricately crafted story, multiple plot paths to choose from, compelling party characters with so much personality and history to explore and connect with, fantastic cIass and specialization system, and as expected with Bioware - more replayability than what you'll find in any other single player game.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
DEMONS SOULS easy dragon age looks like a five year old game and overhyped
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Hmm..hard choice. On one hand Dragon Age has wowed me like no RPG since Witcher, on the other hand though I do have more fun actualy playing King's Bounty: Armored Princess. Still, the latter is an add-on, so I can always put it into "best add-on of 2009" category" :D and it's not even in the poll, so I voted DA

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

DEMONS SOULS easy dragon age looks like a five year old game and overhyped CTR360
huh? How does it look like 5 year old game? I can understand some people prefering DS, considering how wildly different both of those games are..but graphics? They're both on pretty much the same level graphicaly and DA has obviously a lot better production values

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

DEMONS SOULS easy dragon age looks like a five year old game and overhyped CTR360

YOU are sooo Next gen man.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Permadeath.

you die...Tough ****. Recreate a new character and start back from scratch. 8)

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

Dragon Age.

Main reason I say not Demon's Souls is that Dragon Age is the better RPG.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

Demon's Souls because Dragon Age is pissing me off.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
Dragon Age. It's my first Bioware RPG, and I'm loving it so far. These guys really know how to tell a good yarn.
Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Dragon Age without a doubt. I didn't even need to look at the results to know what was winning. Dragon Age is multiplat while the others are exclusives.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

Kandlegoat

Permadeath.

you die...Tough ****. Recreate a new character and start back from scratch. 8)

Go play a rogue-like. I hear pokemon made a new one recently.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

DA:O by far, Demon's souls was weaksauce compared to that game

alskdjfhg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 alskdjfhg1
Member since 2009 • 420 Posts

DA:O by far, Demon's souls was weaksauce compared to that game

DoomZaW
Both were good, but DA:O is only good on the PC. Demon's souls is better than DA:O for consoles, but DA:O for PC is better than Demon's souls.
mihawk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#39 mihawk0
Member since 2005 • 138 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins

Avatar image for LiquidSnake1001
LiquidSnake1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LiquidSnake1001
Member since 2009 • 673 Posts

khoofia_pika

The difficuty was the best thing, once you everything out it became easy and extremely mediocre.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Demons souls. i imported it before the cows started claiming it to be the hardest game ever so i wasnt dissapointed at all.

Torchlight comes second place

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Dragon Age by far imo. The only positive thing i've heard about Demon Soul is that it is hard.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
Dragon Age by far imo. The only positive thing i've heard about Demon Soul is that it is hard.Senor_Kami
You obviously havent heard much about it then.
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
Demon's Souls easily. Dragon Age is overrated, and only successful on PC due to the controls.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Demon's Souls, I'd probably give the edge to Dragon Age for GOTY, since its more polished, has more to do, etc, but Demon's Souls holds a special place in my heart. :) And yeah, the initial shock of the game is where its hard, the first stage took me longer then pretty much any other stage, as I was getting used to it, there was maybe 3 or 4 bosses I actually had to try more then once, and only the last boss took me more then 2 or 3 tries. :P
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 khoofia_pika
[QUOTE="tirralirra"]Demon's Souls easily. Dragon Age is overrated, and only successful on PC due to the controls.

Uhh, and becuase it's a very good game as well.
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="tirralirra"]Demon's Souls easily. Dragon Age is overrated, and only successful on PC due to the controls.

Uhh, and becuase it's a very good game as well.

Good game, hampered by bad controls on the consoles. Should have stuck with the birds eye view.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Hmm it a close race between Demon's Souls and Dragon Age: Origins because both are relarively great role playing game that does something better than the others. After thinking it over I probably give the edge to Dragon Age: Origins simply because the story was better for me, and the combat for this game was a blast to play along with the great detail world.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

Yandere

I remember easying tower knight with magic my first try. Then a couple playthroughs later I didn't have magic for tower knight and it was a completely different experience. Just how flamelurker is easy with magic, and old king doran. how was maneaters for ya? How about trying to kill those bosses on a pure melee build? The game is as challenging or as easy as you make it. I wouldn't doubt that you just casted poison cloud on old king doran and sat there.

If you play the game like a girl your first playthrough then yes, I can understand the game being very easy. play like a man and you'll have a different experience.

I went with demon's souls. Simply because I'm more about action packed intensity than just sitting there and queueing up attacks.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
If you play the game like a girl your first playthrough then yes, I can understand the game being very easySome-Mist
Well I went melee my first playthrough, Tower Knight and Flame Lurker took me 3 tries to beat, the first 2 I lost really fast, so it was when I thought up a strategy I actually beat them, I accidentally rolled off the cliff twice to the dragon archdemon :P and the last boss took me a number of tries, but he was a lot easier when I combined warding with a stone to turn back into a human, took very little damage. I don't want to seem like I'm showing off, but th game isn't that hard, those are the only bosses I died on, and I was pure melee.