Video game Journalism is what's killing the industry.

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

Yeah, Its not consoles, its not Motion controls its not Casuals. Its Journalism. The average gamer isn't a game studying psycho. Instead they look on the web and check what high scoring games there are. Other games that fail to reach 8.0 due to a broken mehcanic or technical issue (that would probably be fixed from a patch) are ignored. Games like this usually are hidden gems that are overlooked due to the number next to them. Heck here on SW I bet hardly anyone buys A games and without a good marketing budget a AA game could be micced for something more well known. What does that mean? well Publishers will insvest in less and work on expanding established games.

The entirty of score is pretty dumb. I mean Gaming Journalism is comming to be like Movie Journalism. CoD does nothing new EVER and its always AAA.It gets to a point where the success of a game depends on a number. Now I've found many games that are rated pretty low yet are a blast to play. However thy won't probably get a sequel do to a number and that people ignore the game due to it.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Well yea, most of the "blockbusters" here are some of the most throw-awable games you can get. Aimed at movie enthusiats for the most part that value representation and ease of use. Then they overblow a average-production values game like Demon souls in the mix to make out theyr still there for the enthusiast :roll:. The games that get covered on gamespot and score in the AAA category are all stupid safe bets with incredible advertising, Your right, its hilarious to see all the shooters out, get AAA despite being rehashes. but what can you do? journalism is largely idiotic and aimed at people who know no better.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
i don't think so. The average gamer (outside of SW) probably buys games more on word of mouth and advertisement of said game than the scores online.
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
that's the case in all entertainment media i doubt the average person will look at reviews from gamespot or ign, most people are likely to come across an advertisement that says (insert magazine name) gives it 5 stars, and buy that game. all popular things normally come from hype and advertisement not particularly from quality, although some quality does come from the popular stuff.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
True with the mainstream media but that's because gamers have forced them to act that way. There's always some whiny uprising within the community whenever a popular game gets a good score. There are some smaller outlets which don't do this, the PC magazines used to be pretty good in this way but now i think you're best off asking experianced members of the community or looking at their blogs.
incuensuocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 incuensuocha
Member since 2009 • 1514 Posts
Nothing is killing the industry, the industry is fine.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44689 Posts
where I think the gaming journalists fails gamers is their early access to games beforehand, for instance I see video interviews on like X-Play, and they're being shown a game and the gameplay looks like crap and the X-Play hosts are all like "oh, can't wait until it's out so I can play the whole thing", and then go on to give it a terrible review later... that's the perfect opportunity for them to say something while the product is still in development, give some criticism, some suggestions, some honesty while there's still a chance to save a game
Creator_Of_All

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Creator_Of_All
Member since 2011 • 483 Posts

Well yea, most of the "blockbusters" here are some of the most throw-awable games you can get. Aimed at movie enthusiats for the most part that value representation and ease of use. Then they overblow a average-production values game like Demon souls in the mix to make out theyr still there for the enthusiast :roll:. The games that get covered on gamespot and score in the AAA category are all stupid safe bets with incredible advertising, Your right, its hilarious to see all the shooters out, get AAA despite being rehashes. but what can you do? journalism is largely idiotic and aimed at people who know no better.Birdy09

Could not agree more, my best games like Demons Souls, Fable 2-3, Fallout Vegas, Lost odyssey, Mass effect 1 etc have got low scores

But consoles are mainly for casuals that love to watch the game than play it, so it will only get worst

Nothing is killing the industry, the industry is fine.incuensuocha

Will stop beeing fine though if all games turn to linear 6 hours repeatitve more of the same stuff, just to sell better

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts
[QUOTE="Badosh"]i don't think so. The average gamer (outside of SW) probably buys games more on word of mouth and advertisement of said game than the scores online.

this. most people dont read reviews to such. a few years ago, i would just buy games that had cool looking covers and stuff.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I think it's jaded gamers that think a 7.5 means a bad game, and that percentage wise is a 3 star movie.

I will agree that game reviews are done wrong. I think there's too much emphasis on the point system, but the few journalist that have tried to get rid of it have failed miserably. One problem that is the reviewers fault is that they don't know how to objectivly state their opinions. Not all gamers have the same pet peeves, nor look for the same thing in a game.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
If EVERY game had a demo on PSN or Xbox Live, it would be a lot easier for consumers to pick games also. A lot of people like me don't like to rent games, and because I have a limited budget, I pick up AAA games first unless an A or AA game can impress me enough with its demo and gameplay. I always wanted to pick up Test Drive Unlimited 2, but as a consumer I'm limited to reviews by critics and other consumers. But I love AA games too, Uncharted 1 was my favorite game of this generation, Alan Wake and Fable 3 are both great. That being said, I'm probably never going to get around to Enslaved because it bores me to look at so much. But can anyone tell me some good AA games on 360 or PS3 that I may have passed while we're at it?
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"]Well yea, most of the "blockbusters" here are some of the most throw-awable games you can get. Aimed at movie enthusiats for the most part that value representation and ease of use. Then they overblow a average-production values game like Demon souls in the mix to make out theyr still there for the enthusiast :roll:. The games that get covered on gamespot and score in the AAA category are all stupid safe bets with incredible advertising, Your right, its hilarious to see all the shooters out, get AAA despite being rehashes. but what can you do? journalism is largely idiotic and aimed at people who know no better.Creator_Of_All

Could not agree more, my best games like Demons Souls, Fable 2-3, Fallout Vegas, Lost odyssey, Mass effect 1 etc have got low scores

But consoles are mainly for casuals that love to watch the game than play it, so it will only get worst

Nothing is killing the industry, the industry is fine.incuensuocha

Will stop beeing fine though if all games turn to linear 6 hours repeatitve more of the same stuff, just to sell better

Mass effect 1 got great scores. It's AAA on metacritic.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Games are to hard to make, require to many people, and cost to much money.

Focing games to be sold at 60 dollars, thats by far the biggest flaw of video games.

You cant bust out 60 dollars for every game that looks interesting.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
true gamers will continue to play the 3rd party indie hits while soccer moms buy their kids COD because its the cool thing right now.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Is it the journalists fault for pushing standards up, or the gamers who support those journalists' decisions and only buy 9.0+ games?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
I don't think that's how it works. Otherwise, games that got 9's would be selling a lot better. I would say the mass media driven hype machine is the culprit. Games like CoD with 100 million dollar advertising budgets or whatever they are. Everyone knows about it because there's so many damn commercials about it. Why do you think good games with no commercials still flop in sales?
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

Games are to hard to make, require to many people, and cost to much money.

Focing games to be sold at 60 dollars, thats by far the biggest flaw of video games.

You cant bust out 60 dollars for every game that looks interesting.

crimsonman1245
A lot of people do it and it works. Many companies are making a steal charging 60 dollars a game with 15 dollar map packs later on. People will buy what they are told to buy, why do you think games with huge advertising ads sell so much? It's the sheep of the world.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Its an insult to call what GS and IGN do 'journalism'...

so this thread is pretty moot.

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
Video games need something like Top Gear, lol.
Avatar image for LucidJubilation
LucidJubilation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LucidJubilation
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

why does there always have to be something destroying gaming on here....

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

why does there always have to be something destroying gaming on here....

LucidJubilation

Maybe not enough exciting games to play.
I know that i have run dry... saving money for 3DS... :(
But it will be worth it and i will emerge as star-speckled happiness.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

Gamers are killing the industry

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Just a thought but.. When a company announces that they will spend half a billion dollars to advertise a peripheral right around Christmas time (Think Christmas bonuses, here) in an industry (the press) that thrives on advertising money, what do you think the effect will be?

I'm not accusing any particular media outlet of corruption here so much as it is a natural human condition to favor your benefactors somewhat. Huge AAAA FPSes have huge AAAA marketing budgets. Marketing dollars = paychecks. The industry has massive tunnel vision right now and the world economic state does not help whatsoever. You can either keep playing videogames and write reviews for a living or stand in the unemployment line... or flip burgers.

That's my take on it. Now where is my Ferrari laptop.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

So what GS score do you not agree with THIS time?

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

789shadow
I agree with mostly all of them however I'm simply stating that due to review scores many people aren't giving games a chance. Its not about scores its about gamers.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Creator_Of_All

Might I remind you that in the NES era, games were intended to be completed in a single sitting?

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
I don't know if it's killing the industrybut I do think there are huge problems when it comes to video game journalism it's all about money/hype. how else could GTA IV get full marks on almost all sites yet every signle person I know wouldn't rated it above 9 at the very most, Black Ops the same.
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

[QUOTE="Creator_Of_All"]Will stop beeing fine though if all games turn to linear 6 hours repeatitve more of the same stuff, just to sell better

PannicAtack

Might I remind you that in the NES era, games were intended to be completed in a single sitting?

Not true. The NES era saw the rise of gamesaves (Hint: Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy). Some games like Megaman and Castlevania had codes you could use to continue. I think you're refering of the Atari era.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#30 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

You can throw this in there too...the sychophantic gamers that hang on a reviewers score like its Jesus doing the review. Then proceeding to gloat about a game being a flop because it scored an 8.5 rather than a 9.0.

I agree though about a lot of what you said. After the black ops review I lost all respect for GS reviews. I need to find a different mature review websight.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

mayceV

I agree with mostly all of them however I'm simply stating that due to review scores many people aren't giving games a chance. Its not about scores its about gamers.

Then wouldn't it be that philosophy of gamers killing the industry?

seimagery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 seimagery
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

What is something a website could do to improve the gamer's experience? Or a journalist? More specific highlights on genres?

I am thinking of going into journalism, aiming to do video games or music, and I was wondering these things as of late.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I honestly think it's that fact that all games don't have demos. It should be law to require a demo/trial of any product or service IMO.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I think it's jaded gamers that think a 7.5 means a bad game, and that percentage wise is a 3 star movie.

I will agree that game reviews are done wrong. I think there's too much emphasis on the point system, but the few journalist that have tried to get rid of it have failed miserably. One problem that is the reviewers fault is that they don't know how to objectivly state their opinions. Not all gamers have the same pet peeves, nor look for the same thing in a game.

jrhawk42

I wouldnt even try to play a 7.5 console game honestly i would play down to a 6.0 pc game though because it seems like they are rated differently.

bflexholla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bflexholla
Member since 2011 • 44 Posts

whenever i read IGN's "journalism", i want to vomit

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
ding ding we have a winner..................I've never taken gamespot's reviews very serious after fire emblem radiant dawn review and post gerstmann gate.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

The average gamer doesn't even care about reviews or numbers. That's something only fanboys make a big deal about. You think all those Madden gamers have been looking at the reviews over the years as the numbers go down and say lemme stop buying Madden? Nope.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Video games journalism is a joke and it has been for some time. People act like this is a new thing.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
People actually read reviews?
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#40 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

A journalist shouldn't be held responsible for someone else's stupidity. Thats like blaming violence on videogames.

If scores really were so important though then the Wii wouldn't be the best selling console and Licensed games would usually tank.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

The industry is dying?

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts
Not to mention corruption, when journalists are writing the review part of the score is thanks to the press conference. If they got to go on a little trip and play paint ball the game will always get some extra credit. You guys remember Jeff Gerstmann? Apparently the kane & lynch score was lower than what the publisher liked to get after spending so much money on add here at gs, result? One day he was going to work and found himself fired..
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

A journalist shouldn't be held responsible someone else's stupidity. Thats like blaming violence on videogames.vashkey

This. EXACTLY this!! The journalist isn't to blame, not when it's the score he/she thinks it deserves. It's the gamers/readers fault for taking the review out of context.

Are you suggesting reviewers should raise the score to assure more sales? Do they work for the developers now? It's not their jobs to tell eager fanboys what they want to hear, but to tell us what to expect.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I don't go looking for 9.0+ games and I barely have any.Most of my games score in the low 70's and I'm interested in some of the indie games on the Wii currently.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

The problem with video game "journalism" is that it isn't journalism at all, it's the business of keeping their sponsors paying.

Game websites don't have advertisers outside the the gaming spectrum the way true news outlets do. If they drive away a sponsor, there aren't thousands of other companies ready to take the spot.

For this reason, game reviews from non game outlets are actually more honest, though the reviewer may not know as much about the subject matter.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
[QUOTE="Badosh"]i don't think so. The average gamer (outside of SW) probably buys games more on word of mouth and advertisement of said game than the scores online.

And also if they like the developer and know the game is definitely something they would enjoy. I have plenty of games that have scored pretty low but I still enjoy them all. When I started actually doing research about video games, I did trust the reviews a little too much, but it still didn't stop me from buying my favorite games.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9901 Posts

I think reviews help to increase the quality of games in general. Most reviewers, including GS, remove points if a game is too similar to its predecessor (AC:Brotherhood, Dead Space 2). It would be far worse if people only bought games based on marketing. Since reviews is the second most accesible type of info (next to marketing) I fear that would be the result if game journalism disappeared. Ofc there are other sources like, demos, gameplay vids, friends, forums etc but they don't tell the whole story either.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#48 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

[QUOTE="Badosh"]i don't think so. The average gamer (outside of SW) probably buys games more on word of mouth and advertisement of said game than the scores online.Pvt_r3d
And also if they like the developer and know the game is definitely something they would enjoy. I have plenty of games that have scored pretty low but I still enjoy them all. When I started actually doing research about video games, I did trust the reviews a little too much, but it still didn't stop me from buying my favorite games.

The average gamer probably doesn't even think about who developed the game.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9901 Posts

The problem with video game "journalism" is that it isn't journalism at all, it's the business of keeping their sponsors paying.

Game websites don't have advertisers outside the the gaming spectrum the way true news outlets do. If they drive away a sponsor, there aren't thousands of other companies ready to take the spot.

For this reason, game reviews from non game outlets are actually more honest, though the reviewer may not know as much about the subject matter.

Pug-Nasty

Yes but at the same time if the consumers (that is us) start to see a big difference between the reviews and the actual experience we will stop to listen to the reviews. And when that happens the sponsors won't give any money either, because no one sees their advertising. So they can't just fake review scores like u suggest.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#50 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

However thy won't probably get a sequel do to a numbermayceV

Yeah, no. Sequelization is based on sales, and Medal of Honor sold great and is getting a sequel even though critics panned it.

If you want to blame scores for screwing up the industry, look at Metacritic.