Valve developing VR Headset. Steam now at 125M accounts

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Yeah, that's why Dark Souls on PC sold more than both consoles combine. That's why Skyrim total life sales on PC surpassed both console sales and that is also a reason why BF3 sold more on PC than both consoles combined. For BF3 I saw this number back in 2012 o it must have been grown larger. These are only some of the games I come to know while reading threads on SW. I'm sure there could be many more.

For proof wait for some time. I'm sure someone will bring up proof in due time. Don't ask me for proof I don't have any. Never cared about sales.

Complete incorrectness. Everything in that post is lies, lies everywhere. Flagged for BS.

You are right. I tried to search GS for it......so far no luck. I did come across one thread for Dark Souls selling more than 300K copies for PC. I'm not lying....I distinctly remember a thread where a user replied to same pricy accusation by uninspiredcup with a Japanese report dating one year back with some million sales.

Don't remember exactly about BF3 even about that I'm 100% sure I saw on this forum this being discussed and that too in 2012 because I read it while I was taking one of our middleware integrations with a bank live for a client.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

The only multiplat game that dominates on console compared to PC is the shitty COD series that tries to hard to emulate Counter Strike yet falls so short.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Has 125 million users. 42 people buy VR headset off of them.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

Interesting. People are really putting a lot into VR. Imagine if it really was DOA the amount of financial lapse would be enormous.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I wish we would hear more about valves controller.. I personally don't care about a VR headset.. We literally have half a dozen of them going to be released soon.. Meanwhile I haven't seen a controller quite like Steam's that is trying to make the gamepad more precise while at the same time keeping the advantages of the gamepads..

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

I wish we would hear more about valves controller.. I personally don't care about a VR headset.. We literally have half a dozen of them going to be released soon.. Meanwhile I haven't seen a controller quite like Steam's that is trying to make the gamepad more precise while at the same time keeping the advantages of the gamepads..

Oh i definitelly want the gamepad more than anything else.

The steam controller could the one to finally gives us a proper pad for third person shooters, by not using a shitty analog for cameras.

faking_it_bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By faking_it_bad
Member since 2015 • 31 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Yeah, that's why Dark Souls on PC sold more than both consoles combine. That's why Skyrim total life sales on PC surpassed both console sales and that is also a reason why BF3 sold more on PC than both consoles combined. For BF3 I saw this number back in 2012 o it must have been grown larger. These are only some of the games I come to know while reading threads on SW. I'm sure there could be many more.

For proof wait for some time. I'm sure someone will bring up proof in due time. Don't ask me for proof I don't have any. Never cared about sales.

Complete incorrectness. Everything in that post is lies, lies everywhere. Flagged for BS.

You are right. I tried to search GS for it......so far no luck. I did come across one thread for Dark Souls selling more than 300K copies for PC. I'm not lying....I distinctly remember a thread where a user replied to same pricy accusation by uninspiredcup with a Japanese report dating one year back with some million sales.

Don't remember exactly about BF3 even about that I'm 100% sure I saw on this forum this being discussed and that too in 2012 because I read it while I was taking one of our middleware integrations with a bank live for a client.

If your ass ain't got no proof then your ass is lying. It as simple as dat ma homeboi.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

@scottpsfan14: lol bringing up ubisoft, the company that sells crappy PC ports not to mention they purposely downgraded a major title last year (Watch Dogs), have been bad mouthing PC gamers for most of last gen. tried to push always online-DRM on PC gamers, and makes PC gamers use U-play on top of steam when U-play adds nothing to the experience. I'm surprised they have that percentage of PC. The only games they have published that PC gamers would touch as far as I know of in recent years is Trackmania and Anno series, I would say The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot but it seems like they screwed the game up as seen in steam reviews.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

@scottpsfan14: lol bringing up ubisoft, the company that sells crappy PC ports not to mention they purposely downgraded a major title last year (Watch Dogs), have been bad mouthing PC gamers for most of last gen. tried to push always online-DRM on PC gamers, and makes PC gamers use U-play on top of steam when U-play adds nothing to the experience. I'm surprised they have that percentage of PC. The only games they have published that PC gamers would touch as far as I know of in recent years is Trackmania and Anno series, I would say The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot but it seems like they screwed the game up as seen in steam reviews.

The majority of multiplats sell better on consoles. Blizzard games sell better on PC tho. The likes of Diablo III sold over 6 million on PC and 5 million on consoles combined. Blizzard know their place is among PC.

The only evidence to back that up you've presented is lolVGchartz, saying the same thing over and over does not make it true.

Give us evidence that takes into account all digital sales, including Steam, and if it still shows that all non Blizzard multi-plats sell better on console then you'll have proved your point.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@scottpsfan14:

I didn't make the assertion, there is no need for me to disprove anything.

You're entitled to your opinion but please don't present as fact.

I keep seeing console gamers claiming that they sell more games, yet gaming software revenues are higher on PC than any individual console. How does that work?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Steam having 125M active users is something different than having 125M accounts.

So which one is it ?

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@GarGx1 said:

@scottpsfan14:

I keep seeing console gamers claiming that they sell more games, yet gaming software revenues are higher on PC than any individual console. How does that work?

Here's pretty much how it is and every sales analyst will tell you the same. The consoles are the foundation of the industry. Multiplats do better on consoles than PC. Single console platforms often outsell the PC versions. Games normally known for being on PC sell better on PC like Diablo. Almost everything else sells better on consoles.

Not just your GTA's, MGS's, FIFA's, CoD's etc, but most multiplats period. That is a bold statement. But it's not far wrong.

But please, tell me how it really is, or what you actually think for yourself.

*Yawn* BF, Portal, Elder Scrolls, Just Cause, etc

In for a rude awakening when Dying Light mood tools release

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I bet the PC gaming is not dying....and to boot....I bet we should hear about how many steam accounts there are.

Valve working on a headset is cool news though.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#69 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

The majority of multiplats sell better on consoles. Blizzard games sell better on PC tho. The likes of Diablo III sold over 6 million on PC and 5 million on consoles combined. Blizzard know their place is among PC.

Diablo 3 sold over 15 million copies on PC.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@GarGx1 said:

@scottpsfan14:

Here's pretty much how it is and every sales analyst will tell you the same. The consoles are the foundation of the industry. Multiplats do better on consoles than PC. Single console platforms often outsell the PC versions. Games normally known for being on PC sell better on PC like Diablo. Almost everything else sells better on consoles.

Not just your GTA's, MGS's, FIFA's, CoD's etc, but most multiplats period. That is a bold statement. But it's not far wrong.

But please, tell me how it really is, or what you actually think for yourself.

Nobody is denying that a lot of multiplats sell better on consoles, we know they do, however; the mulitplats that do sell better on consoles are the ones that are rehashed every year like CoD and ASSCreed. PC gamers just don't buy those. However BF3, Elder Scrolls, Witcher and plenty other multiplats do sell better on PC. Usually the ones with the greater shelf life and modding ability will sell better on PC. Yeah Multiplats usually outsell on PC in the first 6 months but for lifespan the PC sales are much much larger I'd wager.

You can tell this to be true as PC are getting more and more ports. They have all the GTA's now. Steam has most of the old FF titles plus the XIII series so that tells me SE is making a lot of money on the PC now. Valkyria Chronicles was released on PC and in the 1st week they virtually did more business than on console. The way it's going in FFXV will be released on PC now. Developers just make more money there now, even having to play Valve a percentage they still pull in more revenue. I think in a couple years almost all multiplats even in the 1st year of its lifespan will sell more on Steam. Even though 125m accounts are actually some duplicated, it doesn't matter because that number is crazy no matter what. That means that PC is biggest platform by a large margin and developers will absolutely take advantage of that.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

125 million accounts and yet PS4 alone manages to outsell PC with every multiplat. It's not like every steam account is even a real gamer. Most just have a shitty laptop and decide to get that ''steam thing'' that they heard about and thus +1 account to add to the list. I guess PlayStation 4 really does reign supreme.

This is the part where you show me the data that doesn't include obvious games like MGS, GTA, WD and FIFA.

Ubisoft games.

I'd even dare say that The Witcher 3 on PS4 will out sell the PC version. As will the Xbox One version. PC gamers don't buy games.

That's because we have sooo many more games to choose from. PC gamers don't have to wait for new good games to come out. In fact, most PC gamers have a huge backlog of good games. We're constantly getting new games, plus multiplats from consoles, and we can't buy them all...

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

The thing to remember with Steam and PC gaming in general is the huge back catalogue of games people can buy, and at great prices. You can't browse, purchase and play thousands of older games on your PS4, but you can on PC, going back a ridiculously long time, so a game can keep making profit for a much longer time compared to consoles.

To put it in perspective, take a relatively new game like the Tomb Raider reboot. I bought this not so long ago in a Steam sale for £2.99. If just 1% of the 125m users did the same, that's 1.25m in digital sales numbers. Even if the price the game's purchased for is paltry, there's lots of money to be made on the platform over time, plus my one percent example is an extremely conservative one.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Well, VGchartz is your friend.

I always knew you had no clue what you were talking about while here at SW.....

Then you did this......This just confirms that.

Seriously...VGCHARTZ on PC? Lmao..... They don't count digital PC sales, which account for nearly all PC sales these days.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I hate to say it, but a lot of them are probably CS:GO alternates.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@speak_low said:

scottpsfan is correct. A majority of multiplats sell extremely well on consoles (specifically Sony/MS ones), and almost all same-day releases sell more on consoles than PC. As for revenue, you can check the quarterly reports of Activision, EA and others and you'll see. Keep going back further and it's still the same. Of course there are exceptions, like when a game is either on PC first; or the other way around - when a game doesn't hit PC for a long time - like Take-Two's GTA V. But the common big franchises or even something like Alien Isolation and Dying Light usually sell more on consoles.

It's not a race to see who has the biggest number. I'm sure the reason scottps brought it up was a response to those who keep going around saying consoles are worthless in every breath. Those numbers will at least make you recognize some reality, and consoles (right now MS and Sony, heh) are doing a lot of lifting and funding of future AAA titles. That's not worthless.

And we've already established that PC's higher revenue (the articles even POINT this out) recently has been from overseas gaming - the MMO scene, and the F2P model. I'm not denying its popularity and success there, but don't shove your Hermitized chests in peoples faces (oh god can't unsee) claiming the PC version of every game sells best.

Steam took a diagnostic look at their user's hardware and revealed less than 10% even use the latest cards and processors. Even their Steam brothers don't care as much as they do, it appears. So a lot of SW boasting about needing to have the absolutely best experience and top frame rates/resolution are coming from a vocal few, who happened to spend more money to get there, and act like console gaming needs to die.

I love PC, modding and having great resolution/frame rate from good hardware too, but the PC Hermits walk around with that sickening Kanye swag when they they don't even dominate everything.

Yes, you have too many games to play. That Steam backlog. That Skyrim modding you need to attend to. Yes, that's the problem. Poor you.

How about posting actual sources. TL :TR I notice Alien Isolation which is publish by Sega which in fact sells more pc game than consoles. And you brought up Dying Light which is receiving mod tools for the pc if the developers didn't see the pc bringing huge sells they wouldn't have developed them in the first place.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@speak_low said:

Steam took a diagnostic look at their user's hardware and revealed less than 10% even use the latest cards and processors. Even their Steam brothers don't care as much as they do, it appears. So a lot of SW boasting about needing to have the absolutely best experience and top frame rates/resolution are coming from a vocal few, who happened to spend more money to get there, and act like console gaming needs to die.

I love PC, modding and having great resolution/frame rate from good hardware too, but the PC Hermits walk around with that sickening Kanye swag when they they don't even dominate everything.

Yes, you have too many games to play. That Steam backlog. That Skyrim modding you need to attend to. Yes, that's the problem. Poor you.

1. You understand that 10% of PCs is FAR FAR more than the number of xboxone & ps4's sold right? Math is easy child. A vocal few, that vastly out number the amount of console children. (This is further supported by recent Nvidia sales figures.)

2. If PC didn't bring in big sales why does it constantly keep getting almost EVERY multiplat, and even better version and/or mod tools, and sometimes even multiplats that the other console doesn't even get (TitanFall, NoMan'sSky, Planetside2, etc.) ?

3. Console gamers actually argue over fps and resolution more often, only they brag about much smaller differences. Multiplats are far better on PC.

4. PC doesn't dominate anything? Factually incorrect: It dominates aaa/aa/a count, multiplats, several exclusive genres, and competitive gaming. The fact that you have to add up multiple systems in your post against PC even demonstrates its domination.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@speak_low: still don't see why 2 platforms vs 1 make sense. Hell, including last gen that makes 4.

And again, quaterly reports include games that are exclusive to some platforms, like WOW to PC, Madden/Destiny on consoles, etc.

Plus there's a huge disparacy between a game that can appeal to a large, more mainstream makert like Destiny, COD, FIFA, MADDEN, Battlefield, WD, AC, FC, GTA and otehr titles.

Those game sell 10 million + in their lifetime.

They're not comaprable to games like Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Borderlands Pre-sequel, Dragon Age Inquistion (apparently), Dying Light, Evolve, Just Cause, Batman, etc, etc, etc.

Platform breakdown for those remains unclear.

Also, you do realize 10% of 100 million+ is still 10 million+ right?

Another thing is the fact that Japanese games are increasing support on PC but no XB1 is a clear indicator that sales are better on the platform.

At a steady pace, it's evident that the PC platform is growing in popularity, tracking more sales year over year and gaining more support. The proof lies in the number of games coming.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

There are over 200 million Steam accounts by the way, 125 million of them are active, being active to Valve is defined as logging in within the last 30 days and playing a game. Also to the people saying that the PC sells less games, not true by any metric, the install base is multiple times larger than any one platform, it's also a perpetual meaning you never have to abandon it for another hence losing your games also VGChartz DOES NOT track digital game sales.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#82 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@nyadc said:

also VGChartz DOES NOT track digital game sales.

Seriously? Then no fucking wonder the numbers are like that.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#83 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

@nyadc said:

also VGChartz DOES NOT track digital game sales.

Seriously? Then no fucking wonder the numbers are like that.

Yes and a developer not too long ago said that something like 90% of sales of his game on PC where bought from digital retailers. Cant remember who it was but im pretty sure it was on a Gamespot article. IGN and a few other sites also had an article last year about how some study revealed that PC game sales are 92% digital.