Valkyria Chronicles is a broken game.

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

I made a thread earlier in the year about how Valkyria Chronicles is almost entirely like the story of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but with a few subtle differences. Anyway, this isn't the point of the thread, but I just wanted to point out that it is cliched and not a redeeming factory.

Valkyria Chronicles is a broken game. The orders and such are over-powered, and the classes are unbalanced. There isn't much use in leveling up an engineer or a sniper. You may occasionally need the lancer and shocktrooper, but you can almost entirely rely on the scouts for almost every mission. Like Welkin said, "We don't need a Valkyria to win this way!" Yeah, all we need is Alicia, Defense Boost, and Caution. Orders like these should be less effective or cost more CP total, because they are too useful for only 1 or 2 CP. Most of the time, you can use this, then rush Alicia/some other less attractive Scout to the certain point that needs capturing or something, and win the level.

This, however, isn't always the case. There are the occasional situations where you'll be screwed if you try this, but once you take out a few people, you are good to go. Scout rushing is so effective, and it's made worse when you gain the ability to move twice during one turn! I don't have this ability, but I saw it on YouTube. If anything, the other classes should get this because they cover less ground and lag behind.

Also, the grading system shouldn't be enirely based on turns. It should also have more to do with the amount of kills. I get an A Rank every time.

It's not like the game is terrible. The story has picked up since the time I made that one thread about the story not being original at all. I dig the symbolism with the Valkyrias being nukes and the battles modeling real life ones, but the dialogue is also really cheesy and hard to get past. I won't get in to the story too much because we already discussed this, and I don't want it to detract from the main thought.

Anyway, it is a bummer that you have to beat the game first in order to set the difficulty. It's too easy with the scouts, and the game is in desperate need of an overhaul. Still fun. I am on chapter 16, but I am about ready to finish it. Two more chapters after this.

I am not trying to bash the game, but I want to hear what you guys think about the battle system/gameplay. Also, I am really tired, so I can't focus, and I have to wake up in five hours or something. I probably won't check back for responses until tomorrow, so I will probably see you then.

What say you?

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
this is a good read and all but this seems to more belong in a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
this is a good read and all but this seems to more belong in a  shadow_hosi
I am just trying to get a conversation going on. I am stating my opinion first, and then allowing others to state what they think of the game. Many people do that about games, but they are just less long-winded. I am going to bed now.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
If its broken, its the best broken game I have played.
Delsage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Delsage
Member since 2004 • 3355 Posts
If its broken, its the best broken game I have played.SpruceCaboose
Well spoken.
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts

Its such a coincidence that you made this thread today, because I spent much of today getting through chapters 15,16, and 17. I spent the majority of the game using the technique you mentioned above to attain rank a status.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

I dont find it broken at all, i haven't had the chance to play it lately and i'm stuck in chapter 10, but so far the game has been somehow challenging in a very good way, i'm sorry, i just don't see your point, maybe i should try that technique your using, but if i remember right, the last time i try to use scouts, the enemies wipe the floor with me.

BTW, i almost forget, i'm really happy that finally the game is having some decent sales, now let's pray for a sequel.

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
im back and i it is a great game :D i never did that strategy you said i just smashed the enemy apart every time, i don't care about the rank i get off it i just like the slaughter
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

I made a thread earlier in the year about how Valkyria Chronicles is almost entirely like the story of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but with a few subtle differences. Anyway, this isn't the point of the thread, but I just wanted to point out that it is cliched and not a redeeming factory.

Valkyria Chronicles is a broken game. The orders and such are over-powered, and the classes are unbalanced. There isn't much use in leveling up an engineer or a sniper. You may occasionally need the lancer and shocktrooper, but you can almost entirely rely on the scouts for almost every mission. Like Welkin said, "We don't need a Valkyria to win this way!" Yeah, all we need is Alicia, Defense Boost, and Caution. Orders like these should be less effective or cost more CP total, because they are too useful for only 1 or 2 CP. Most of the time, you can use this, then rush Alicia/some other less attractive Scout to the certain point that needs capturing or something, and win the level.

This, however, isn't always the case. There are the occasional situations where you'll be screwed if you try this, but once you take out a few people, you are good to go. Scout rushing is so effective, and it's made worse when you gain the ability to move twice during one turn! I don't have this ability, but I saw it on YouTube. If anything, the other classes should get this because they cover less ground and lag behind.

Also, the grading system shouldn't be enirely based on turns. It should also have more to do with the amount of kills. I get an A Rank every time.

It's not like the game is terrible. The story has picked up since the time I made that one thread about the story not being original at all. I dig the symbolism with the Valkyrias being nukes and the battles modeling real life ones, but the dialogue is also really cheesy and hard to get past. I won't get in to the story too much because we already discussed this, and I don't want it to detract from the main thought.

Anyway, it is a bummer that you have to beat the game first in order to set the difficulty. It's too easy with the scouts, and the game is in desperate need of an overhaul. Still fun. I am on chapter 16, but I am about ready to finish it. Two more chapters after this.

I am not trying to bash the game, but I want to hear what you guys think about the battle system/gameplay. Also, I am really tired, so I can't focus, and I have to wake up in five hours or something. I probably won't check back for responses until tomorrow, so I will probably see you then.

What say you?

DeathScape666

I'm not a SRPG enthuiast, so I can't comment too much on how balanced the battle system is (I personally get the most use of out of my Shocktroopers).But as someone who hasn't played many SRPG's and can't get into most of them, I find the game to be fantastic (which shows the game has a good amount of appeal outside the SRPG genre). It's easily one of my favorite games this gen.Fantastic visuals, an extremely good mix between accessibility and depth, a clever use of real-time movement, a very pleasent story, etc. It's a very great package.

BTW, I stuck on a certain battle right now, so I'm going to try your Scout Rushing technique. ;)

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

What say you?

DeathScape666
Have you ever heard of a Shocktrooper? How about a tank? How about a gatling turret? I can think of at least a few levels in which a Scout getting out from behind cover would get him/her instantly decimated. There are levels where tanks sit right on the final cap points, and most of the time you have several layers of Shocktroopers behind cover to get through before you break the lines. The rough thing is the Scout only comes with one grenade equipped per turn, meaning you can only clear one unit out from cover every turn with a scout. A scout only has 5 rounds (7 if you have one power-tree upgrade later in the game) and these rounds only do moderate damage. A scout is not even remotely overpowered, all it takes is a couple of shocktroopers to waste one. If you can't clear the enemy's cover, it's impossible to kill anything. If you don't get at least 3 headshots out of your five rounds, don't expect a kill. They have low life, incredibly low armor....they're susceptible to snipers, shocktroopers, tanks, and turrets... And I can think of one level in particular where a particular female is equipped with a long-range machine gun that can mop up a scout pretty damn nicely. This game has enough objective variety to where this really isn't a problem at all. It's impossible to clear the game by spamming scout rushes.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Brownesque

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

What say you?

Tragic_Kingdom7

I'm not a SRPG enthuiast, so I can't comment too much on how balanced the battle system is (I personally get the most use of out of my Shocktroopers).But as someone who hasn't played many SRPG's and can't get into most of them, I find the game to be fantastic (which shows the game has a good amount of appeal outside the SRPG genre). It's easily one of my favorite games this gen.Fantastic visuals, an extremely good mix between accessibility and depth, a clever use of real-time movement, a very pleasent story, etc. It's a very great package.

BTW, I stuck on a certain battle right now, so I'm going to try your Scout Rushing technique. ;)

Which battle is that in particular?
NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts

What say you?

DeathScape666
I just started playing VC a few days ago and i was at level 9 or so. When do i get caution?
Evolved_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Evolved_One
Member since 2007 • 596 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles is a broken game. The orders and such are over-powerei, I agree, but not to a point where the game is broken. and the ****s are unbalanced. LOL, no. There isn't much use in leveling up an engineer or a sniper.Uh your gonna need to level up your engineer. First the tank is a key unit for almost all missions and it's bound to get damaged. So you're gonna need it to be repaired by the engineer. Second, snipers and lancers needammo refilling. and removing mines and repairing sandbags for cover. and the enginner needs to do all this without being killed, and if you don't lvl up your enginner then your screwed as no oneelse can do waht the enginner does. plus enginners make good scouts kinda they can run far. AND SNIPERS FREAKING OWN, how can you not lvl them up they can take out units across the map with a well placed shot, and everytime you lvl snipers the circle thing gets smaller and smaller soits basically 90% guranteeed kill right there. You may occasionally need the lancer and shocktrooper, No you need them both for most missions almost all the time.but you can almost entirely rely on the scouts for almost every mission. HAHAHA can scouts take out troopers? can scouts take out troopers by themself?Like Welkin said, "We don't need a Valkyria to win this way!" Yeah, all we need is Alicia, Defense Boost, and Caution.LOL, ru kidding me? sure scouts are important but they can't do everything. you can do that only on that one mission where you take the city back with the windmill. show me anoter map you can do that. Orders like these should be less effective or cost more CP total, because they are too useful for only 1 or 2 CP. Disagreeed. Most of the time, you can use this, then rush Alicia/some other less attractive Scout to the certain point that needs capturing or something, and win the level.LOL ok i dont even think you even played the game and just watched people play it on youtube.

This, however, isn't always the case. There are the occasional situations where you'll be screwed if you try this, but once you take out a few people, you are good to go. While troopers and scouts shooting you? plus tanks? You make it seem like it's easy to take out an entire squad.Scout rushing is so effective,On like one map. out of 18 and it's made worse when you gain the ability to move twice during one turn! I don't have this ability, but I saw it on YouTube.That's rare. and it's a hidden potential. If anything, the other ****s should get this because they cover less ground and lag behind.That would be overpowered and i think only alicia has that potential.

Also, the grading system shouldn't be enirely based on turns. It should also have more to do with the amount of kills. I get an A Rank every time. WOW unless you are some ****ing god at this game i doubt you got an A rank on every level on your first playthrough. You're telling me you neveer madea mistake or miscalculation in any of the battles. i doubt it.

It's not like the game is terrible. The story has picked up since the time I made that one thread about the story not being original at all. I dig the symbolism with the Valkyrias being nukes and the battles modeling real life ones, but the dialogue is also really cheesy and hard to get past. i thought the dialogue was simple but not cheesy.I won't get in to the story too much because we already discussed this, and I don't want it to detract from the main thought.

Anyway, it is a bummer that you have to beat the game first in order to set the difficulty. It's too easy with the scouts, and the game is in desperate need of an overhaul. LOL. o god Still fun. I am on chapter 16, but I am about ready to finish it. Two more chapters after this.

I am not trying to bash the game, but I want to hear what you guys think about the battle system/gameplay.It seems so... Also, I am really tired, so I can't focus, and I have to wake up in five hours or something. I probably won't check back for responses until tomorrow, so I will probably see you then.

What say you?

DeathScape666

I'll be waiting for your reply.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Sounds like someone decided to cheap out and used a A rank guide to play the game, then complaining about it afterwards since they are designed to beheavily reliant on Alicia. You just cheated yourself from getting the full experience of a great game.

aflakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aflakian
Member since 2008 • 1557 Posts

Sounds like someone decided to cheap out and used a A rank guide to play the game, then complaining about it afterwards since they are designed to beheavily reliant on Alicia. You just cheated yourself from getting the full experience of a great game.

Gxgear

Pretty much this.
Struggling through the missions and experimenting with new strategies was part of the fun.
I tried some of the A rank strats in my second playthrough and it wasn't nearly as rewarding.
Honestly, it's the equivalent of cheating in a puzzle game where all you have to do is connect the dots ( or in this case, execute the commands).
I can see why you (TC) we're disappointed if any the above was true.

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

Yeah...I don't agree with you at all. All the classes are useful and have their own role and are needed in just about every single map. Mind you I'm only on chapter 10 (One with the train)

And I've needed to use all the units for various things. I love using them all too because they all have their uses. Plus they all have personalities which gives you a sense of caring for them and not wanting to have them die on you.

Great game all together can't wait to play some more.

Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bentham
Member since 2008 • 1154 Posts
I guess I'm a fan of "broken" games, then.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
If you know a strat that is broken....why use it? I find it more enjoyable to figure it out on my own accord and enjoy using all my classes. I loved getting the flamethrower for my shocktroopers!
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gxgear

If you know a strat that is broken....why use it? I find it more enjoyable to figure it out on my own accord and enjoy using all my classes. I loved getting the flamethrower for my shocktroopers!Jynxzor

I personally enjoy using snipers, you can easily achievement A ranks just by having 1 or 2 snipers clear the path for your scouts or shockTs.

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
I totally disagree. VC, to me, was one of the most well put together games I've played. It has a perfect balance of everything and it all works wonderfully. I agree the scouts are power horses but there's more than one approach to take, y'know? Its like, you can totally pawn in MGS4 if you just run through and blow peoples brains out, but if you wanna really enjoy it for what it is you gotta take it easy and utilize some of those killer stealth techniques. Anyway, VC is still my 3rd favorite game this gen, and if its broken then Valkyria Chronicles = Best Broken Game EVER! :D
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Planning to get the game later on this summer along Mass Effect... these are 2 great games i didnt get but wont miss this gen :)

I had the chance of watching a friend of mine playing VC and it looked fun..

mdisen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 mdisen2
Member since 2005 • 1133 Posts

Thank god for Japanese voice-acting. All I gotta say about that.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#24 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I'm not much of a strategist, so I think the game is quite hard. Honestly, my favorite units are snipers and engineers, mostly because of their versatility.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

The game sucks if you abuse the broken order system, and you know what? You don't actually need to. You have essentially ruined the game for yourself by cheating and now you're complaining about it, well done.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's certainly not a broken game, but it naturally has flaws. I'm one of the biggest fans of the game, but even I'll admit the game suffers from flaws. You can't bumrush stuff with scouts, not in the least. You really need a well-balanced squad in order to make it through the game. You may not need every single class in every single mission, but you're going to need them sooner or later.

The AI can be dumb at times, but no game is perfect. Even with the dumb AI it's still a challenging game.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
If its broken, its the best broken game I have played.SpruceCaboose
I agree.
Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
you do have some valid points but overall game is just too excellent for me to care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

What say you?

Have you ever heard of a Shocktrooper? How about a tank? How about a gatling turret? I can think of at least a few levels in which a Scout getting out from behind cover would get him/her instantly decimated. There are levels where tanks sit right on the final cap points, and most of the time you have several layers of Shocktroopers behind cover to get through before you break the lines. The rough thing is the Scout only comes with one grenade equipped per turn, meaning you can only clear one unit out from cover every turn with a scout. A scout only has 5 rounds (7 if you have one power-tree upgrade later in the game) and these rounds only do moderate damage. A scout is not even remotely overpowered, all it takes is a couple of shocktroopers to waste one. If you can't clear the enemy's cover, it's impossible to kill anything. If you don't get at least 3 headshots out of your five rounds, don't expect a kill. They have low life, incredibly low armor....they're susceptible to snipers, shocktroopers, tanks, and turrets... And I can think of one level in particular where a particular female is equipped with a long-range machine gun that can mop up a scout pretty damn nicely. This game has enough objective variety to where this really isn't a problem at all. It's impossible to clear the game by spamming scout rushes.

Funny you mention that mission particular (15b). I just got done with it in two turns. Caution plus Defense Boost plus Alicia works wonders in that level. I completely scout rushed that mission, but I did have my tank distract Selvaria. Yeah, Scouts get their ass handed to them if you don't use Caution plus Defense Boost. I honestly don't think you have used these orders enough to really understand how powerful they are. I cannot emphasize how useful they are. If they were not there, then you would have a case. Go to the Valkria Chronicles board in GameFAQs and look at the the threads. Scout rushing works wonders on many maps. Hell, I'll show you this one guy who has an account that just scout rushes everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7-ShfYoTk&feature=PlayList&p=57C9714488CAFDA6&index=18 15b in two turns. If you look to the right side, you'll see his other videos that are all done in about two turns or less. Check it out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

The game sucks if you abuse the broken order system, and you know what? You don't actually need to. You have essentially ruined the game for yourself by cheating and now you're complaining about it, well done.

WasntAvailable
So you admit that the Order System is broken? Yeah, the game should have been penalized for that. I should be able to use everything the game offers me in my disposal to receive a challenge. That's like saying the Cave of Ordeals in Twilight Princess is hard if you have one fourth of a hear the entire cave. Sure, if you have all hearts it's extremely easy, but then you are "cheating yourself out of a challenge," as you say. I applied the same logic. You basically just told me to create the challenge for myself by limiting what the actions I take in game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Gxgear
No, the scout rush technique is pretty much known all over the Valkyria Chronicles board. As long as you know how effective Defense Boost and Caution is on a Scout, you don't need a guide. The rest is just figuring out the best route to take. So no guide, really. Hell, there's people on those boards that create these absurd challenges for themselves because the game is way too easy.
-PuLse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -PuLse
Member since 2009 • 538 Posts

I love it when users think their opinion is fact. Not just on SW, but everywhere else.

jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts
I always see you bashing PS3 games lately... It's a shame, you never used to. Valkyria Chronicles is by far one of the best games this gen, and in case you didn't know, there's ways in every single game, in which you can basically use a method that makes it a lot easier than using a traditional method.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

I love it when users think their opinion is fact. Not just on SW, but everywhere else.

-PuLse
My opinion isn't fact. You could've at least said something instead of making baseless assumptions. Your elitist attitude isn't appreciated. Get out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
I always see you bashing PS3 games lately... It's a shame, you never used to. Valkyria Chronicles is by far one of the best games this gen, and in case you didn't know, there's ways in every single game, in which you can basically use a method that makes it a lot easier than using a traditional method.jonnyt61
I'll be honest with you and say that I do like the PS3... The bashing comes mostly from the "over-praise" I think the exclusives get. I like Valkyria Chronicles. It is a good game, around a 7-8. Same with Uncharted; around a 7-8. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the same case with being a great game, but getting far too much praise, in my opinion. I admit that I may show that I dislike a game when I am really just objecting to the praise, but I really, really enjoyed LittleBigPlanet. I doubted the hell out of it, and then it came around, became my favorite PS3 game, second favorite game of 2008, and one of the most satisfying multiplayer experiences, ever. Resident Evil 5 is amazing, too, and underrated, in my opinion. Mercenaries Mode is awesome. I just want to clear up that I don't HATE the PS3. I do have one, and you guys can add me if you want. My PSN ID is Digital_Phoenix. I am simply here to rock up System Wars a bit and look for different opinions. I would have to disagree with that when you say "every single game," but you are certainly right with a few.
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#36 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
To be honest, it's something that would feel more at home at a written review. :) Still, it's a good read (on your opinion. :P Personally, I haven't tried the game yet).
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Just because you can rush through the missions using a scout doesn't mean the classes are unbalanced. If you take advantage of pairings with assault people and use your scouts well, they can make for fine additions to your team. I remember using Marine alot more than any of my scouts. Strategic sniping is great for base taking.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#38 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

DeathScape666

So you admit that the Order System is broken? Yeah, the game should have been penalized for that. I should be able to use everything the game offers me in my disposal to receive a challenge. That's like saying the Cave of Ordeals in Twilight Princess is hard if you have one fourth of a hear the entire cave. Sure, if you have all hearts it's extremely easy, but then you are "cheating yourself out of a challenge," as you say. I applied the same logic. You basically just told me to create the challenge for myself by limiting what the actions I take in game.

Hmmm, I can't say it's the exact same case. I'd rather say it's like grinding in an RPG. You can go through most RPG's without grinding, OR, you could choose to grind out of proportion, making the game too easy. That is ultimately not the game's fault, that is just a decision someone makes. It's the same with FFXII. Some people chose to exploit the Gambit system too much, when nothing said that they were to do so. It's a matter of choice in any SRPG, you choose the path yourself.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts

What say you?DeathScape666
I say that Super Mario Galaxy is a very broken game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
[QUOTE="NoobisMaxcimus"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

What say you?

I just started playing VC a few days ago and i was at level 9 or so. When do i get caution?

Sorry, but I forgot, to be honest. It's early on in the game, though, and defense boost is good enough for now. Actually, defense boost without caution is fine and dandy for the entire game, but you need to be more careful.
hansolo14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 hansolo14
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]What say you?metalgear-solid

I say that Super Mario Galaxy is a very broken game.

EDIT: Mario Galaxy is a very broken game (sarcasm)

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I love it when users think their opinion is fact. Not just on SW, but everywhere else.-PuLse

i cant believe people still post things like this. its like almost literally a negative post. like an intelligence black hole. sweet sig btw

anyway, maybe vc is broken, i dont know or care. its not a competitive game, which is really the only time that kind of thing matters. in a single player game, imo the 'chellenge' level is pretty much irrelevant, because in the end you're supposed to win anyway, so who cares? games where i am playing against people is another matter.

vc is the only game that made me seriously consider buying a ps3. i still sometimes think about buying one for it. cant say the same is true of any other single game/console combo this gen (though knights in the nightmare/ds is pretty close).

MegajerkNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MegajerkNYC
Member since 2009 • 505 Posts

If you weren't up on youtube looking for cheats and exploits to the game then you'd probobly think the game is more balanced.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Name me one SRPG that isn't broken.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

DeathScape666

No, the scout rush technique is pretty much known all over the Valkyria Chronicles board. As long as you know how effective Defense Boost and Caution is on a Scout, you don't need a guide. The rest is just figuring out the best route to take. So no guide, really. Hell, there's people on those boards that create these absurd challenges for themselves because the game is way too easy.

Actually I have to disagree. Many of the stages require more than just Alicia (I didn't say scouts because it's really her that's overpowered) going commando. You still need support from tanks/shockTs/snipers/lancers, and to a lesser extent engineers.

The only reason you're complaining is because in order to achieve A ranks, the game only recognizes the number of turns the battle took. The time constraint therefore forces the player to utilize the most mobile unit: Alicia. Not only is she a scout, her extremely useful potentials combined with orders can make her virtually unstoppable. However, she's still limited in terms of taking down tanks and crouching units save for a single grenade. You can say it's "easy", but there's still trial and error involved with you're running around with scouts. No one's forcing you to scout rush unless all you're looking for is A ranks.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Brownesque
[QUOTE="DeathScape666"][QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

What say you?

Funny you mention that mission particular (15b). I just got done with it in two turns. Caution plus Defense Boost plus Alicia works wonders in that level. I completely scout rushed that mission, but I did have my tank distract Selvaria. Yeah, Scouts get their ass handed to them if you don't use Caution plus Defense Boost. I honestly don't think you have used these orders enough to really understand how powerful they are. I cannot emphasize how useful they are. If they were not there, then you would have a case. Go to the Valkria Chronicles board in GameFAQs and look at the the threads. Scout rushing works wonders on many maps. Hell, I'll show you this one guy who has an account that just scout rushes everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7-ShfYoTk&feature=PlayList&p=57C9714488CAFDA6&index=18 15b in two turns. If you look to the right side, you'll see his other videos that are all done in about two turns or less. Check it out.

LoLwut? How did you kill Selvaria with a Scout?
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

I play games to have fun. I very much liked VC.

I suppose I could have bum rushed scouts all over. Just like I could have used the exploit to complete Oblivion in minutes. Or I could do a speed run through innumerable shooters. Or I could exploit various things like infinite gold in RPGs.

But I guess I am odd, so I played it the way it was meant to be played. Not the way it could be played.

Your loss, not mine.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Brownesque
In that video, he didn't kill Selvaria with a Scout, he did the killing blow with the Shocktrooper, and now I know how. First of all, he exploited the insanely stupid AI that doesn't recapture points, moves useless units, and wastes CP by not using a single unit more than 2 times per turn. Second, I had no idea how overpowered Awaken All was, because I'd never used it before. No wonder. Does hard mode fix any of the AI issues?
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#49 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
[QUOTE="Brownesque"] LoLwut? How did you kill Selvaria with a Scout?

You can, but you'll need to juice up the scout with a lot of orders, including importantly unlock potential, and they darn well better have undodgable shot and the one that ensures no return fire, otherwise they will die. Scout rushes are potent... when you already know what's going on. They are absolutely suicidal when you play the game properly.
milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts

Interesting read, I bought the game and played it for a few hours when it first came out but I just dont feel like playing it anymore. Perhaps eventually I will pick it up again