Upgrade to 3DSXL or buy a Vita

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I've currently got the older 3DS and I was about to buy an XL. I could sell my 3DS for a decent amount to recoup some of the cost as it's mint, still got all the original packaging in mint condition also etc.

I do want FFXHD though and although I've got a PS3 I'd rather have it on a portable so it got me thinking about the Vita... Is it a worthwhile buy, what other RPG's or other worthwhile games are available for it these days? As great as Persona 4 is that's not much of a seller for me as it was only a couple of years back I finally played it on the PS2.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

FFX HD looks a lot better on PS3. Trust me.

Even though the Vita has a much better library, go upgrade since you already have a 3DS library.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#3  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Blabadon said:

FFX HD looks a lot better on PS3. Trust me.

Even though the Vita has a much better library, go upgrade since you already have a 3DS library.

Was thinking the same thing. Since you have a 3DS already, I take it you have games for it you like. Why move? For FFXHD? To each their own. I have both and my Vita library is majority games from PS1 and PSP. Its a great handheld FOR ME. But I doubt I'm as big a 3DS player.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

So it's a choice between a handheld with games...and the Vita which has been very openly abandoned by Sony.

I would pick the handheld that's still being supported by the company who made it. Keep in mind I'm a huge fan of the PSP and I what they've done with the Vita is downright shameful.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I would pick the handheld that's still being supported by the company who made it.

This is very good advice.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bulby_g

Sorry I should have said, I wouldn't sell my 3DS if I got a Vita, only if I got the XL. Still not worth consideration?

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#7  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I would pick the handheld that's still being supported by the company who made it.

This is very good advice.

Yeah I think vita has a lot of good games but it's not really clear if Sony wants to support it outside of Japan like Nintendo is willing to do with the 3DS. I have a vita myself but I kind of regret buying it because I feel its very possible it gets discontinued or it stops getting a constant stream of games in the future. But I also think that upgrading a 3DS isn't really productive either. I think you should just keep it as it is.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

upgrade the 3ds. there isn't anything on vita to play other than persona 4.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I love my vita but I would never recommend anyone to ever buy one.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

DO NOT WASTE MONEY on a Vita, esp since you're not interested in P4G. Go ahead and get FFX HD on PS3 and a 3D XL. Trust me, you'll regret it if you get the Vita instead.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

You can't go wrong with ether, personally though I'd go for the 3DS XL

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Get the 3DSXL, Wait for the Playstation TV aka Vita's replacement.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

3DS XL. Sony doesn't even support the Vita. Its dead.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bigboi500

If you got a Vita, at first you'd be like "wow, these games are cool and this hardware is sweet" and then a month or so later you'd be like "damn Sony, were are the games?" and then you'd be like " I spent $200 + on this damn thing for these few games? What the hell was I thinking?".

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Depends.

Do you like having games to play or tumbleweeds to watch?

If you like games- 3DS

If you like tumbleweeds- Vita

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@bulby_g said:

Sorry I should have said, I wouldn't sell my 3DS if I got a Vita, only if I got the XL. Still not worth consideration?

Well, the thing is. 3DS XL would be a nice improvement. But buying another handheld would mean you'll have access to a totally new library of games.

Just make sure first that there are games you want on Vita... If the 3DS has all the games you want, and you'll spend all your time on there, an XL would be a nice upgrade.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@bulby_g: You already have a 3DS which is a great machine and you are considering a Vita. I can tell you I own both handhelds, but truth be told I'm not much of a handheld gamer. That said, I've played both of these machines. While I would suggest a 3DS for a new handheld gamer, you already have one so this is easy. As long as you are keeping the 3DS and are considering adding a Vita to your arsenal, I say go for it.

@bulby_g said:

Got it. You are going to KEEP your 3DS? This is easy. I would rather have two different systems than one. Get the Vita to match your 3DS. Now you'll be able to play two different gaming libraries. I would also recommend PS+. In any event, if you play your cards right, you keep your 3DS library and 3DS and will have a Vita for new and different titles you like FFX HD. While I'm here, I would also suggest Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Persona 4: Golden, and Soul Sacrifice.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

That's a tough choice since the upgrade to the 3DS XL is such a good one. Both handhelds are worth owning.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Bigboi500: lol you are so full of bullshit

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bigboi500

@Blabadon said:

@Bigboi500: lol I am so full of bullshit

fixed. :P everybody knows you're the one with a unique perspective on Vita and 3DS. My views on the system go hand in hand with the general consensus.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Do you really want to join the ranks of demonic?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

If you get a 3DS XL then you should probably buy it first, transfer any content you have from your 3DS, then sell the smaller 3DS. Sucks you can't just transfer content by signing into your account, but it's either that or lose all your digital content (if you have any).

Anyhow, have you even exhausted all the great games the 3DS has in its library? Did you even own a Nintendo DS? If not, I'd look for games from there too. Plenty to pick from to play on a 3DS, and playing them on an XL makes it even better.

Same could be said about the Vita too, some of the PSP games are available to play on the Vita. And if you never had a PSP either then playing older PSP games should add value, I'd probably want to play through the Patapon series again.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45106 Posts

FFXHD looks fine on Vita, don't listen to those jabronies.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Sony is completely dropping support for the Vita, idk why anyone would buy one at this point.

Nintendo has its 1st party and also has lots of 3rd party support.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@Sword-Demon: Thing is, it's not so much a question of whether to buy a 3DS or a Vita (obviously the 3DS has the better library), but whether to spend money upgrading to an XL or spend it instead buying a Vita.

I wondered the same thing and, while the original 3DS is relatively uncomfortable to use, I think it makes sense using spare money to access more games rather than just accessing the same games on a slightly different system.

Another consideration is whether or not someone has a PS Plus account and has already "downloaded" Vita games during that time. Many of the Vita's most popular games have already shown up on PS Plus, so it's possible that buying the system would instantly unlock a large library of games for some people. This is the case for me, which is why I'm still considering buying one even if Sony abandons it or considers it to be some sort of Remote Play controller. In the end, it could save me hundreds of dollars on software purchases since I was already planning to keep PS Plus for my PS3/future PS4 purchase.

With that said, the Vita still has good exclusives in the '14 lineup, like Danganronpa and Freedom Wars.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

@SakusEnvoy:

I'd say either upgrade to the 3ds xl or save your money.

I simply can't recommend a system with no future.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

FFX qHD basically? Nope.

Also haven't amassed VITA PS+ material? Nope.

I think it's better for you to wait 2 years and hope the VITA's just $ 129 and hopefully with localized games such as GE 2: Burst, Digimon: CS, PS: Nova, etc.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Take a look at the existing Vita library. Is it worth the price of admission to access it as it stands now? Then go for it. If not, then personally I'd save your cash all together. I don't see the sense in paying for a system you already have access to, but that's me.

Also easier to recommend Vita if you're already a PS+ member, and especially if you've been building up vita titles. I didn't join until getting Vita and PS4, but a friend in town grabbed a Vita after more than a year of PS+ and had an instant smorgasbord of handheld gaming ready to go.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

vita has better games, you don't need to upgrade to an XL, a regular 3DS will be fine. I would get a vita, the RPGs on vita feel more modern, 3DS has mostly that old school RPG feel.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bulby_g

Cheers for all your thoughts! I'm still on the fence. There are a few Vita games I definitely want but not enough to make me go for it without some thought. If I knew some more were on the horizon I'd go ahead but I'm worried not much more will come other than Tales of Hearts R which I am interested in. On the other hand I have a fair few DS/3DS titles already and more on the horizon. A bigger screen would be nice as I do find the 3DS one tiny. Hmmmmmmmmmm.