BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

Take a look at this forest scene running on UE5 max settings on my system (no OC). Only 1440p and the frame rate is brutal. Sure, I can scale it to run better on my hardware and it will probably still look decent, but imagine trying to scale that to run on the much weaker console hardware. It is going to look and run like shit. The Matrix Awakens demo was already a disaster on consoles. It was blurry as fuk and couldn't even run at 30fps. This is why we need powerful hardware like the RTX 4090 to take advantage of the latest game engines. Advanced UE5 games are going to be shit on consoles. The mid-gen consoles can't come soon enough.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Obviously consoles are gonna hit hard limits, but in fairness those Mawi landscape packs aren't exactly optimal lol. That conifer biome is especially demanding.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1003 Posts

What system u running on

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39177 Posts

That lighting is so hot. Imagine RDR3 with these kind of graphics. Shieeeet.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69744 Posts

I guess if gaming is only about graphics this means something to you.🤷🏽‍♂️

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BassMan

@ConanTheStoner: Unreal Engine 5.1 Preview 1 has just released. There are supposed to be improvements to Lumen and Nanite to better handle foliage which could help that scene a lot. I have not tried it yet though.

@nfamouslegend said:

What system u running on

Specs are in the top left of the screenshots, but here u go...

CPU: 5950X

GPU: 3080

48GB DDR4 3600 CL 16

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8283 Posts

@Pedro: for real this means nothing to me. Bunch of stupid tress. Currently playing Rayman 2 on 3DS and having a blast 😂

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44290 Posts

Does that look amazing? Absolutely.

Do my games have to look that good in order for me to enjoy them? Absolutely not.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hardwenzen

For those wondering, Linus just ran the demo on the Xbox Series S.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BassMan

Classic System Wars behaviour on display here....

LOL

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@BassMan:

I still don't get why people compare PC to consoles. Different experience to this day.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1253 Posts

I'll enjoy these graphics in 2032 when I don't have to spend a small fortune to get them

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

Ohh, so amaaazzing yawn. Meanwhile, the game play is still stuck in 2008 level, except with a slightly larger scale. The next level in gaming will only be reached once we figure out how to get proper VR tech done. That means having a full body experience inside of a game. Until then, continue on with your graphics hoeing as usual.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371

@BassMan: Who in here has argued about Xbox or PlayStation having better graphics then the other but is now saying that graphics don’t matter because of the PC?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

@BassMan said:

Take a look at this forest scene running on UE5 max settings on my system (no OC). Only 1440p and the frame rate is brutal. Sure, I can scale it to run better on my hardware and it will probably still look decent, but imagine trying to scale that to run on the much weaker console hardware. It is going to look and run like shit. The Matrix Awakens demo was already a disaster on consoles. It was blurry as fuk and couldn't even run at 30fps. This is why we need powerful hardware like the RTX 4090 to take advantage of the latest game engines. Advanced UE5 games are going to be shit on consoles. The mid-gen consoles can't come soon enough.

Our current project is in Unreal 5, and it is without question a demanding, punishing beast of an engine.

This is where programmers do, in my opinion, some of their most impactful work in games. Whichever tech department can figure out how to whittle down what's being rendered, processed, etc, on screen with the smallest amount of overhead will be the dev team that's able to capitalize on what Unreal 5 can do the most.

I'm optimistic this will improve over time. Right now, everybody working on Unreal projects are trying to milk every bit of juice the engine has and are, from what I've seen personally, significantly less concerned with performance, compared to achieving the highest fidelity visuals imaginable.

Once the "look how pretty it is" honeymoon phase is over and people stop turning all the dials up to 100 (a good amount of which they won't need at any level for the project they're developing), people will start to figure out how to efficiently pull this type of stuff off, and more importantly, figure out which parts of UE5 they don't need to be using/aren't worth the performance cost.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I don't think devs are going to be targeting top end PC hardware without regard for finding balance on consoles, except maybe the devs that have no desire to put their games on consoles.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6909 Posts

PS5 and XSX ran the Matrix demo at 1440 and 30fps. It's not ideal but it's playable.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@Archangel3371 said:

@BassMan: Who in here has argued about Xbox or PlayStation having better graphics then the other but is now saying that graphics don’t matter because of the PC?

This will be ignored

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

The tech behind UE5 is awesome and if you were tech savvy wise in the PC realm, you would appreciate what UE5 can truly do. Graphics is just a bonus here so never mind what Bass is saying. The tech is more important.

We do know Gears 6, new Witcher game, the next Tomb Raider, Redfall, Hellblade II, Black Myth: Wukong, & Kingdom Hearts 4 will all benefit what UE5 is capable of...that includes current-gen consoles.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BassMan
@eni232 said:

@BassMan:

I still don't get why people compare PC to consoles. Different experience to this day.

They all render graphics and output them to a display. PC does it best.

@Archangel3371 said:

Console gamers love to boast about graphics until they get owned and it no longer fits their narrative.... Then they downplay their importance and start deflecting to gameplay and other things. LOL

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: I agree with what you are saying. I am just showing how shit the consoles will be at dynamic and simulated worlds (looking forward to Racer RTX). Things like path/ray tracing do not come cheap. Games that use these features on consoles will struggle. Unreal Engine 5 is ahead of its time for these consoles.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Archangel3371

@davillain: Oh yeah for sure, I get all that. I’m just curious as to what motivated him to that comment is all. Definitely looking forward to see what UE5 will bring to those games you mention and more in the future.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371

@BassMan: Umm, ok? But what triggered you to make that comment in this thread? My question was who’s comment was that.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BassMan

@Archangel3371: Multiple people started downplaying graphics and deflecting. SargentD, Pedro, and you.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371

@BassMan: Well just speaking for myself I’ve always said that I don’t need the best in graphics to enjoy games. I can easily enjoy lower end graphics in games. The entire basis of this thread and your OP states how UE5 is going to “run like shit” on current gen consoles. I simply said what I’ve always said. I like nice graphics but I can enjoy games that may not be the best looking. That’s hardly fitting your description there of what “classic” System Wars entails. Not deflecting in the least either, just responding to your OP. 🤷‍♂️

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Unreal Engine 5 is awesome. I can only imagine how much money Epic Games is making from it. Apparently they are like a $30 billion company by now?

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Those graphics are awesome, but we have to consider the fact that lots of low end PCs (including Steam Deck) won’t be able to uphold these visual standards. Developers will need to use strong optimisation and innovative thinking if they want to target enthusiast PC gamers with 4090s in addition to Steam Deck owners and console owners. This will be challenging, but it’s still do-able. Everybody should have something made for them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Also it's worth mentioning the new Mass Effect (4) game will also use UE5 (reported last year) so it looks like both EA/Bioware are ditching Frostbite engine which is good cause Frostbite engine was a nightmare on Mass Effect: Andromeda. UE5 is proving to be the next big engine for most developers.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2145 Posts

Looks terrible with all that chromatic aberration and shitty lens blur. Disable that crap, if you want to show off how great UE5 can look.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

@davillain said:

Also it's worth mentioning the new Mass Effect (4) game will also use UE5 (reported last year) so it looks like both EA/Bioware are ditching Frostbite engine which is good cause Frostbite engine was a nightmare on Mass Effect: Andromeda. UE5 is proving to be the next big engine for most developers.

At this point Frostbite is a nightmare on every game. If the devs behind the creation of the engine can't even use it in a battlefield game, then we have a massive problem. As for ME4, not only has bioware made a bunch of garbage titles as of late, but for how many years have they been developing the new dragon age? ME4 is most likely a 2027-2028 game lol.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BassMan
@rmpumper said:

Looks terrible with all that chromatic aberration and shitty lens blur. Disable that crap, if you want to show off how great UE5 can look.

I am not a fan of that shit either, but it is just a prepackaged demo without options to change it. I did not buy the asset pack or package the demo. Had I packaged it, I would have disabled that shit and then added DLSS and ultrawide support. :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Oh wow that's crazy, I mean that forest looks good... but bringing a 3080 to its knees?

I'm not worried though, by the time the first native UE5 games start appearing, I'm sure we'll have a RTX5080.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rmpumper

@BassMan: Don't know about UE5, but the UE4 demos used to have config files with all the settings in some folder.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro

@BassMan: If games looked like shit graphically you would have a point but the current state of games games visually is great. The continued obsession with graphics despite diminishing returns seems rather detached. I am more amazed that gamers who have supposedly been around a long time is still being hoodwinked with these demos especially PC gamers.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BassMan
@rmpumper said:

@BassMan: Don't know about UE5, but the UE4 demos used to have config files with all the settings in some folder.

I overlooked the folder before, but applied the works:

[SystemSettings]

r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0

r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0

r.MotionBlurQuality=0

r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

Just for you bud...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BassMan

@Pedro: I started back in the Atari days. So, I am well aware of how far we have come, the current state and where we are going.... and I know it is not just about graphics.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1164 Posts

If you want realistic graphics, go outside.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BassMan
@mycatismilk said:

... or buy a 4090. :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pedro

@BassMan said:

@Pedro: I started back in the Atari days. So, I am well aware of how far we have come, the current state and where we are going.... and I know it is not just about graphics.

Then stop acting to the contrary 🙃

@BassMan said:
@mycatismilk said:

Or buy a 3080 or 3070 or 3060..😏

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1164 Posts

@BassMan said:
@mycatismilk said:

I appreciate that you didn't get offended by my comment. I meant it all in jest and it gave me a hearty chuckle. :) All things aside, I would go PC at this point.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

That's fine, they'll get PS5 Pro for $600-700 in a year, after just spending $600 on PS5, and pretend consoles don't have loose "upgrading" now. And even then still run these UE5 games at half the FPS with lower settings of PC.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BassMan

@mycatismilk said:
@BassMan said:
@mycatismilk said:

I appreciate that you didn't get offended by my comment. I meant it all in jest and it gave me a hearty chuckle. :) All things aside, I would go PC at this point.

I know it is all in fun. I am blessed with beautiful ray tracing nearby. Taken during a walk a few weeks ago...

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rmpumper
@BassMan said:

Just for you bud...

Now that's another matter entirely, it does not look as "good" when you can actually see the fucking details, but at least you don't fell like you are looking at something after drinking half a liter of vodka.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:
@mycatismilk said:
@BassMan said:
@mycatismilk said:

I know it is all in fun. I am blessed with beautiful ray tracing nearby. Taken during a walk a few weeks ago...

Nice, took this shot when I headed off to work by bike yesterday. Beautiful bounced lighting:

Right after all the corn had been harvested.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BassMan

@R4gn4r0k: Looks good. Are the birds by the tree full models or is it just a particle emitter? hehe ;)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:

@R4gn4r0k: Looks good. Are the birds by the tree full models or is it just a particle emitter? hehe ;)

Think they're rendered like in Assassin's Creed: 2D sprites.

Gotta save on something :D

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

PC tech demos and spec reveals are the only things that unite the Lem and Cow factions. The deflection and dismissal of this demo by members of both factions is showing a unity that brings a tear to my eye. Very heartwarming stuff on display here. But give it time. They’ll be clowning Nintendo fans over graphics and specs before you know it…

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15944 Posts

Dont care game still will look great. We are hitting dimishing returns with these graphics I really couldn't care if pc have extra details or not I am gonna enjoy my games and commenting on how beautiful it looks on whatever platform I am on, except on nintendo of course even I have limits lmao.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

SuperMighty XSX MonsterBox will cure all that ails you. lol :P

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12322 Posts

UE5 scales down to mobile phones so I don't quite understand how we can apply a blanket statement like that.