Underrated oldschool RPGs

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts

List some of your alltime favorite older RPGS that you feel are underrated. I'll start....

Robotrek for the SNES

This game was and is very overlooked IMO. With the ammount of depth, customization, puzzles, etc this game had, it deserved more praise.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
Suikoden 1. Most fun I ever had with an RPG.
enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 enduin
Member since 2003 • 1364 Posts
Legend of Dragoon, one of my favorite battle systems always kept me in the game. Definitely deserved a sequel.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dream431ca

Legend of Dragoon, one of my favorite battle systems always kept me in the game. Definitely deserved a sequel. enduin

I still have that game. Have not touched it in years. I'll play that again after I finish playing FF6.

Onizuka36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Onizuka36
Member since 2005 • 8295 Posts

I'm not sure if it's underrated or not but Super Mario RPG.

Every time people are asked to list the best games of all time or even the best Mario games of all time, I always notice Super Mario RPG is oddly absent. I don't know if it's because it slips people's minds because Mario is traditionally a platformer. Still, there is no excuse for forgetting one of the greatest games ever created.

Otherwise, I'm going with Legend of Dragoon.

drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 drewtwo99
Member since 2005 • 9156 Posts
Phantasy Star 4. I think it's a superb example of how to make a truly awesome 16-bit turn based jRPG
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drewtwo99
Member since 2005 • 9156 Posts

Every time people are asked to list the best games of all time or even the best Mario games of all time, I always notice Super Mario RPG is oddly absent. I don't know if it's because it slips people's minds because Mario is traditionally a platformer. Still, there is no excuse for forgetting one of the greatest games ever created.

Onizuka36

Super Mario RPG is on my list of top faves. It is truly amazing. I mean, I LITTERALLY get chills up my back when I think about it. Not many games have that effect on me.

Onizuka36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Onizuka36
[QUOTE="Onizuka36"]

drewtwo99

Super Mario RPG is on my list of top faves. It is truly amazing. I mean, I LITTERALLY get chills up my back when I think about it. Not many games have that effect on me.

Same here. It is in my top 5 games of all time. Seriously, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and EarthBound keep me coming back and playing on the SNEs quite often. Actually, I've been playing EarthBound recently.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

Legend of Dragoon, one of my favorite battle systems always kept me in the game. Definitely deserved a sequel. enduin

YESS!! I loved LoD. I'm still hoping Sony makes a sequel :D.

MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MyzeDivine
Member since 2007 • 916 Posts

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom and Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. I loved those games back on the SNES. They made a couple more for the Gameboy Advance, but they never made a 3rd one. I'm not sure if the company that made the games is still really making full games, but I would love for them to bring back this series.

Earthbound was probably one of the weirdest games I have ever played, but it was awesome. I still have magazines that had ads for the game and have scratch and sniff pictures in it.

Illusion of Gaia was a great action RPG.

Secret of Mana is still one of my all time favorite RPGs (not sure it's underrated). Secret of Evermore had the same type of gameplay, but a completely different type of story, but I think was largely underrated and a lot of fun. Seiken Densetsu 3 was amazing as well, but never released in the US.

Terranigma was another great one (sequel to Illusion of Gaia).

Several of the Phantasy Star games were great, but not really underrated. Same goes for Shining Force 1-3, great games, but received a lot of praise, at least in Japan. Really wish they would release a new Shining Force.

Those are the main ones I can think of for the SNES. For some reason I don't really consider ps1/saturn old school. However, if you want to consider those, a few would be Alundra, Arc the Lad (first one), Magic Knight Rayearth, Dark Savior, Dragon Force (best game ever released on Saturn, imo...would kill for a new one). Xenogears is slightly underrated imo, but it is also my favorite game of all time. The original Wild ARMs didn't receive much praise in the US because it came out just a couple months before FFVII. The original Grandia is amazing. Persona 1 and 2 didn't sell well at all (in the US) but they were both awesome. Panzer Dragoon Saga was absolutely amazing and my second favorite Saturn game.

I won't go past ps1, but will name some Dreamcast RPGs: Skies of Arcadia, great game that didn't receive a whole lot of recognition for some reason. Grandia 2 wasn't quite as good as the first one, but still a great game (also on the ps2). Sadly, those two are pretty much it in the way of good Dreamcast RPGs, unless you count Phantasy Star Online, which was ok, but not really underrated.

MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MyzeDivine

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom and Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. I loved those games back on the SNES. They made a couple more for the Gameboy Advance, but they never made a 3rd one. I'm not sure if the company that made the games is still really making full games, but I would love for them to bring back this series.

Earthbound was probably one of the weirdest games I have ever played, but it was awesome. I still have magazines that had ads for the game and have scratch and sniff pictures in it.

Secret of Mana is still one of my all time favorite RPGs (not sure it's underrated). Secret of Evermore had the same type of gameplay, but a completely different type of story, but I think was largely underrated and a lot of fun. Seiken Densetsu 3 was amazing as well, but never released in the US.

Several of the Phantasy Star games were great, but not really underrated. Same goes for Shining Force 1-3, great games, but received a lot of praise, at least in Japan. Really wish they would release a new Shining Force.

Those are the main ones I can think of for the SNES (that were underrated). For some reason I don't really consider ps1/saturn old school. However, if you want to consider those, a few would be Alundra, Arc the Lad (first one), Magic Knight Rayearth, Dark Savior, Dragon Force (best game ever released on Saturn, imo...would kill for a new one). Xenogears is slightly underrated imo, but it is also my favorite game of all time. The original Wild ARMs didn't receive much praise in the US because it came out just a couple months before FFVII. The original Grandia is amazing. Persona 1 and 2 didn't sell well at all (in the US) but they were both awesome. Panzer Dragoon Saga was absolutely amazing and my second favorite Saturn game.

I won't go past ps1, but will name some Dreamcast RPGs: Skies of Arcadia, great game that didn't receive a whole lot of recognition for some reason. Grandia 2 wasn't quite as good as the first one, but still a great game (also on the ps2). Sadly, those two are pretty much it in the way of good Dreamcast RPGs, unless you count Phantasy Star Online, which was ok, but not really underrated.

soulsofblayck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soulsofblayck
Member since 2006 • 1591 Posts

Those are the main ones I can think of for the SNES (that were underrated). For some reason I don't really consider ps1/saturn old school. However, if you want to consider those, a few would be Alundra, Arc the Lad (first one), Magic Knight Rayearth, Dark Savior, Dragon Force (best game ever released on Saturn, imo...would kill for a new one). Xenogears is slightly underrated imo, but it is also my favorite game of all time. The original Wild ARMs didn't receive much praise in the US because it came out just a couple months before FFVII. The original Grandia is amazing. Persona 1 and 2 didn't sell well at all (in the US) but they were both awesome. Panzer Dragoon Saga was absolutely amazing and my second favorite Saturn game.

MyzeDivine

Secret of Mana for me is not too hot if played alone, need another person for a good experience but of course, that's just my preference.

Onizuka36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Onizuka36

In response to MyzeDivine:

Those are some great picks! I would point out though that the scratch and sniff pictures you're thinking of were in the back of the players guide that came with the game.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
Miracle Warriors
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
Sega Master System: Phantasy star.
Sega Mega Drive: Phantasy star 2,3,4, Shining force 1,2
PlayStation: Star Ocean 2
PlayStation 2: Dark Cloud 1,2, Grandia 2, 3.

Onizuka36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Onizuka36

Miracle WarriorsJiveT

It's like Phantasy Star

...except not as good

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

That was the first game I thought of, heh. Good ol' Legend of Dragoon. I did like that battle system. It's partly why I dig Lost Odyssey's ring system. It reminds me a lot of LoD.

Also Star Ocean 2: The Second Story.

Also Seiken Densetsu 3, aka Secret of Mana 2, never released in the States for some completely idiotic reason, but available through alternate means (clearly, I'm only only talking about importing...........). You think Chrono Trigger and FF3 are good? This was actually the best SNES RPG.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dream431ca
Speaking of Star Ocean 2, it's getting re-released on the PSP.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JLF1

Speaking of Star Ocean 2, it's getting re-released on the PSP.dream431ca

Yeah but what's the chance of it releasing in US?

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

[QUOTE="JiveT"]Miracle WarriorsOnizuka36

It's like Phantasy Star

...except not as good

Miracle Warriors is a hell of a lot better than SUPER MARIO RPG.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Final Fantasy 6 (3 here) & Illusion of Gaia
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

Speaking of Star Ocean 2, it's getting re-released on the PSP.dream431ca

That's cool. Ashton gets to make his triumphant comeback:

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]Speaking of Star Ocean 2, it's getting re-released on the PSP.JLF1

I think it's pretty good. Also Star Ocean 1 is also coming to PSP.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JLF1
[QUOTE="JLF1"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]Speaking of Star Ocean 2, it's getting re-released on the PSP.dream431ca

I think it's pretty good. Also Star Ocean 1 is coming to PSP.

Both games are already out in Japan on PSP but i don't now about the chance of them releasing in the US. As A fan of the franchise I would hate to see it stay in Japan.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JLF1
[QUOTE="JLF1"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]Speaking of Star Ocean 2, it's getting re-released on the PSP.dream431ca

I think it's pretty good. Also Star Ocean 1 is coming to PSP.

Both games are already out in Japan on PSP but i don't know about the chance of them releasing in the US. As A fan of the franchise I would hate to see it stay in Japan.
Moroeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Moroeus
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

Metabots Ftw

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44168 Posts
Phantasy Star 4. I think it's a superb example of how to make a truly awesome 16-bit turn based jRPGdrewtwo99
The first one on Master System is still in my possession - I think it was my first JRPG and after, I was hooked though only recently has my love for the genre been rekindled with a modern take on old school JRPG known as the Highly underrated.............. Lost Odyssey. :D
Lothenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lothenon
Member since 2003 • 1177 Posts

I'll go ahead and say Final Fantasy VII. The praise it gets is not enough. I have yet to find a review that fittingly describes just how orgasmic this game really is. :D

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cute_Red_Panda
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts

Legend of Legia

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

suikoden 1/2

and

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

and

Lunar Eternam Blue

silver is far better than blue but blue is still really good

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

suikoden 1/2

and

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

and

Lunar Eternam Blue Complete

silver is far better than blue but blue is still really good

edit: also pokemans red/blue :P

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts
I really loved the original Breath of Fire.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Definately Lufia. The most forgotten JRPG of great quality in the SNES era. You have you Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy, Tales, Chrono Triggers, Breath of Fire ect but nobody knows of Lufia and Lufia 2 which are pretty darn good games. If you're interest you can find them on GBA as well I believe.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. Greatest game I've ever played. It eats Chrono Trigger for breakfast and craps out Secret of Mana.
MagnuzGuerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MagnuzGuerra
Member since 2004 • 1037 Posts
Lufia 1 & 2, Suikoden 1 & 2.
MyzeDivine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MyzeDivine

In response to MyzeDivine:

Those are some great picks! I would point out though that the scratch and sniff pictures you're thinking of were in the back of the players guide that came with the game.

Onizuka36

Yeah, they were in the guide (full sized guide with the game, not just manual), but they were also in ads present at the time in various game magazines. I still have the magazines, and they still have a smell. :P

D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts

[QUOTE="enduin"]Legend of Dragoon, one of my favorite battle systems always kept me in the game. Definitely deserved a sequel. Pure_Awesome

great game there,

also FF8 is great, i personally like it more than FF7.

Omfg you stole my brain...

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts
Adding the best action RPG to hit the NES, forget Zelda. Crystils by SNK was a masterpeice for it's time and completely owned the original Zelda (IMO)
Wahoo2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wahoo2k
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts
lots of people don't seem to mention panzer dragoon saga very much. The game was awesome.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Illusion of Gaia (SNES)

My favourite action RPG ever. It's seriously underrated. Everybody should try it.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Earthbound

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blackbond

[QUOTE="Blackbond"]Definately Lufia. The most forgotten JRPG of great quality in the SNES era. You have you Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy, Tales, Chrono Triggers, Breath of Fire ect but nobody knows of Lufia and Lufia 2 which are pretty darn good games. If you're interest you can find them on GBA as well I believe.SmashBrosLegend
The GBA version is a terrible spin-off. The one for GBC is okay, but not nearly as good as the SNES games.

You are right I seem to have been mistaken. It was Breath of Fire which had GBA ports not Lufia.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blackbond

Adding the best action RPG to hit the NES, forget Zelda. Crystils by SNK was a masterpeice for it's time and completely owned the original Zelda (IMO)Utensilman

I think you should try Terranigma. You won't be disappointed.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blackbond

Earthbound

ArisShadows

Lufia I/II and of course Terranigma.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts
I think Legend of Dragoon was underrated
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JLF1
Ogre Battle for the SNES
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

Daggerfall, RPGs simply don't get more epic.

EazyD91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EazyD91
Member since 2007 • 781 Posts

Chrono Trigger

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts

Does the Dark Cloud Series count?

Still believe a 3rd one will come.....very soon....hopefully....please?