Ubisoft: we take our profits from Wii and DS and fund 360 and PS3 development

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSTriple4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSTriple4life
Member since 2007 • 508 Posts

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=16574

Ubi's casual games fund 360 and PS3 development

Buying into Ubisoft's casual range of games is going to fund its hardcore efforts.

August 26, 2007 - The development and subsequent sales success of casual games on Nintendo's Wii and DS is an "extremely profitable" business for Ubisoft, according to the company's CEO Yves Guillemot, who told Reuters at the Games Convention in Leipzig last week that these games help to finance the costly development of games for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

Guillemot explained that the development of casual games costs anywhere from 1 million euros to 4 million, depending on how many platforms they're being created for. By comparison, a normal Wii game costs about 5 to 10 million euros, while an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 one costs from 10 million to 20 million.

Casual games are expected to contribute 20% of Ubisoft's revenue this year, which is up 10% on last year. Meanwhile, the entire games industry is attracting many more customers which are, according to Guillemot, "going to grow the market tremendously. I expect the market to grow by 50 percent in the next four years," he said, concluding, "It's a very exciting time for all the developers and publishers."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha!!! Ubi does not take the Wii seriously for big titles. Every company including EA is doing the same as Ubi. Make casuals games for Wii to fund development for PC/PS3/X360 games.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
good stuff, they make all the money on wii and make all the triple a titles on ps3 and 360.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Um...well, duh.
PSTriple4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PSTriple4life

Sheep, what do you have to say about this?

Your console is a good system for devs to shove crap.

So they can make games for other consoles!!!

haha!!

RacoonusDoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 RacoonusDoodus
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

so let's see...

ubi is happy becuase they make money off of wii games and get to make more 360/ps3/pc games

nintendo is happy because the "casual" games help sell their system and get to make great titles for the "hardcore" wii consumers such as MP3 and SMG

sony/microsoft is happy because more "hardcore" games are made for their consoles/PC and they get to sell their system to more "hardocre" consumers

"casuals" are happy because they get more casual games

"hardcore" nintendo gamers are happy because their system will win on SW since the wii will sell more (even though i don't think sales should determine what wins, but w/e) and nintendo still makes good "hardcore" games such as MP3 and SMG

and ps3/360/PC gamers are happy because they also get more "hardcore" games!!!

EVERYONE'S HAPPY THIS WAY!!!!!

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
They have the right priorities. I'm glad they're not holding back technology (state of the art gaming technology that is).
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts
They are not alone in doing that. Take EA for example: They make trash like Boogie for the Wii to fund true games like Skate for the 360/PS3. It's painfully obvious that no third party take the Wii seriously.
PSTriple4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSTriple4life
They have the right priorities. I'm glad they're not holding back technology.tomarlyn
enral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 enral
Member since 2006 • 728 Posts

Since it's announced that they are targetting the casual market..you'll expect alot of casual games on the way to the wii.

PSTriple4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSTriple4life
They are not alone in doing that. Take EA for example: They make trash like Boogie for the Wii to fund true games like Skate for the 360/PS3. It's painfully obvious that no third party take the Wii seriously.dracula_16
AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts
Thats why dont buy their games... onany system
liljio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 liljio14
Member since 2007 • 2193 Posts
f ubi if i was nintendo i will give them theboot cuz they just going 2 make casul games for the wii but they cant make hardcore games for it but insead they using the money to make 360/ps3games that not fair
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

Sheep, what do you have to say about this?PSTriple4life

$#!t has a higher price tag on the 360/PS3.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
And now everyone who has ever said that casuals or the Wii is ruining the industry has been owned. I said it before and I'll say it again. Casuals help Hardcores. The more money a dev makes off casuals the more risks they can take in development.
TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
Guess the Wii is good for gaming after all.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
HAHA SO the PS3 and 360 would suck if it wasnt for the Wii.
monkeysrfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 monkeysrfat
Member since 2007 • 1789 Posts
Well this just shows Ubisoft are douchebags.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dracula_16

HAHA SO the PS3 and 360 would suck if it wasnt for the Wii.RyanShazam

No they wouldn't. They would still be great even if there were no Ubisoft games made on either console.

Ubisoft does not determine winners and losers.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts

Well this just shows Ubisoft are douchebags. monkeysrfat

x2

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dracula_16

Well this just shows Ubisoft are douchebags. monkeysrfat

From a business perspective...actually it is quite logical if you think about it. Why put effort into a 360 game when you can rush out a Wii game and have it sell?

7arek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 7arek
Member since 2007 • 725 Posts

Sheep, what do you have to say about this?

Your console is a good system for devs to shove crap.

So they can make games for other consoles!!!

haha!!

PSTriple4life

K... I think we all knew this, that's why no "sheep" buy a Nintendo console for it's Third Party games and that's why many Wii owners have an alternate console or plan on getting one. It's ll about the First Party games that never fail to deliver.

afmsquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 afmsquid
Member since 2006 • 1623 Posts
Thank you, Nintendo. Now I can buy more great games for my 360 and PS3.:D
Avatar image for depresedmichfan
depresedmichfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 depresedmichfan
Member since 2005 • 1109 Posts

f ubi if i was nintendo i will give them theboot cuz they just going 2 make casul games for the wii but they cant make hardcore games for it but insead they using the money to make 360/ps3games that not fairliljio14

it's not personal, it's business.

V_Isle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 V_Isle
Member since 2006 • 1785 Posts
Haha, you sheep have your 3rd party support...not! I get awesome games like Splinter Cell Conviction while you get casual crap and inferior multi-plat's. :lol:
Xolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Xolver
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts

=[

Does anyone else see "we make crappy, profitable games for the Wii that fund our quality, not-so-profitable games"?

Cause if that's true, then soon enough they'll figure out they might as-well just stick to the Wii -- And in the bad way. And maybe so other devs in the future -- In the bad way. :\

I think this is the first gen ever when a win of one console *can* in fact be bad for gaming.

depresedmichfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 depresedmichfan

[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"]Well this just shows Ubisoft are douchebags. dracula_16

From a business perspective...actually it is quite logical if you think about it. Why put effort into a 360 game when you can rush out a Wii game and have it sell?

because the games for the 360 that they put effort into sell a lot more

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
The Wii was ruining the industry teh fanboys cried.:lol: It's a good business strategy. I'm sure other devs are doing the same.
monkeysrfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 monkeysrfat

[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"]Well this just shows Ubisoft are douchebags. dracula_16

Why make a game for the 360 when its more expensive to make and will probably sell less because not a many people will own it? Crap games don't sell on the wii. Look at that thread dencore made a while ago which showed that.

depresedmichfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 depresedmichfan

=[

Does anyone else see "we make crappy, profitable games for the Wii that fund our quality, not-so-profitable games"?

Cause if that's true, then soon enough they'll figure out they might as-well just stick to the Wii -- And in the bad way. And maybe so other devs in the future -- In the bad way. :\

I think this is the first gen ever when a win of one console *can* in fact be bad for gaming.

Xolver

I don't think so, at least I hope not. I've seen no evidence that ubi will start slacking on the 360.

monkeysrfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 monkeysrfat

=[

Xolver

Oh noes the wii is going to kill us all! So cos the wii is selling its going to kill gaming?

afmsquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 afmsquid
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"]Well this just shows Ubisoft are douchebags. monkeysrfat

Why make a game for the 360 when its more expensive to make and will probably sell less because not a many people will own it? Crap games don't sell on the wii. Look at that thread dencore made a while ago which showed that.

Because the 360 has the highest attach rate of all the current consoles, and one of the largest installed bases of this generation. So, the game will probably sell more on the 360.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dracula_16

Why make a game for the 360 when its more expensive to make and will probably sell less because not a many people will own it? Crap games don't sell on the wii. Look at that thread dencore made a while ago which showed that. monkeysrfat

That's not entirely true. Mario Party 8, Red Steel and Big Brain Academy all have strong sales.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blackbond
And now everyone who has ever said that casuals or the Wii is ruining the industry has been owned. I said it before and I'll say it again. Casuals help Hardcores. The more money a dev makes off casuals the more risks they can take in development.
afmsquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 afmsquid

And now everyone who has ever said that casuals or the Wii is ruining the industry has been owned. I said it before and I'll say it again. Casuals help Hardcores. The more money a dev makes off casuals the more risks they can take in development.Blackbond

Yes, we have been owned. And now, we can own more great games on the 360 and PS3 because of the Wii.:D

MythManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MythManiac
Member since 2005 • 511 Posts

so let's see...

ubi is happy becuase they make money off of wii games and get to make more 360/ps3/pc games

nintendo is happy because the "casual" games help sell their system and get to make great titles for the "hardcore" wii consumers such as MP3 and SMG

sony/microsoft is happy because more "hardcore" games are made for their consoles/PC and they get to sell their system to more "hardocre" consumers

"casuals" are happy because they get more casual games

"hardcore" nintendo gamers are happy because their system will win on SW since the wii will sell more (even though i don't think sales should determine what wins, but w/e) and nintendo still makes good "hardcore" games such as MP3 and SMG

and ps3/360/PC gamers are happy because they also get more "hardcore" games!!!

EVERYONE'S HAPPY THIS WAY!!!!!

RacoonusDoodus

Lol, so true. Haha. I agree with this post.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Where exactly is he quoted as saying that they fund games for 360 and PS3 only?
monkeysrfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 monkeysrfat

[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"]

Why make a game for the 360 when its more expensive to make and will probably sell less because not a many people will own it? Crap games don't sell on the wii. Look at that thread dencore made a while ago which showed that. dracula_16

That's not entirely true. Mario Party 8, Red Steel and Big Brain Academy all have strong sales.

Big brain academy isn't even out yet. Sorry that statement was misleading. Good games sell on the wii and crap games usually sell less than the good games. But games people claim are selling and ruining the industry like cooking mama don't sell very well.

monkeysrfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 monkeysrfat
[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"][QUOTE="dracula_16"]

[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"]Well this just shows Ubisoft are douchebags. afmsquid

Because the 360 has the highest attach rate of all the current consoles, and one of the largest installed bases of this generation. So, the game will probably sell more on the 360.

true but the wii is selling heaps of consoles, and the attachment rate will get higher the longer the wii is out. But why concentrate on the PS3?

afmsquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 afmsquid
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"]

Why make a game for the 360 when its more expensive to make and will probably sell less because not a many people will own it? Crap games don't sell on the wii. Look at that thread dencore made a while ago which showed that. monkeysrfat

Big brain academy isn't even out yet. Sorry that statement was misleading. Good games sell on the wii and crap games usually sell less than the good games. But games people claim are selling and ruining the industry like cooking mama don't sell very well.

Wasn't Mario Party 8 the biggest selling game on the Wii? That game sucked.

monkeysrfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 monkeysrfat

[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"]

Why make a game for the 360 when its more expensive to make and will probably sell less because not a many people will own it? Crap games don't sell on the wii. Look at that thread dencore made a while ago which showed that. afmsquid

Wasn't Mario Party 8 the biggest selling game on the Wii? That game sucked.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't.. It was something like wii sports or TP. But wii sports comes with the wii so its not surprising

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

Red Steel was the Wii's second best selling game during launch. That's what happens during a console's infancy, early adopters will buy any somewhat hyped game simply because they need something to play.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blackbond

[QUOTE="Blackbond"]And now everyone who has ever said that casuals or the Wii is ruining the industry has been owned. I said it before and I'll say it again. Casuals help Hardcores. The more money a dev makes off casuals the more risks they can take in development.afmsquid

Yes, we have been owned. And now, we can own more great games on the 360 and PS3 because of the Wii.:D

Exactly so everyone needs to stop crying and complaining about how the Wii is destroying the industry :|

Xolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Xolver
[QUOTE="Xolver"]

=[

monkeysrfat

Oh noes the wii is going to kill us all! So cos the wii is selling its going to kill gaming?

I guess you have a Wii, and saying something that isn't even that negative hurts you, but what's with the attitude? Are you 12?

I'm only stating my concerns, and I didn't say the Wii will kill game per se. If developers start seeing that small Wii games net them more profit than big PS3/360 games which also take more time to make and cost more money, why the heck would they continue working on them after a while?

Honestly though, SW needs to get rid of this childish way of speaking. It's like writing like a child and adding a:lol: in the end gives you more credit than just about any other post. =\

monkeysrfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 monkeysrfat
[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"][QUOTE="Xolver"]

=[

Xolver

I guess you have a Wii, and saying something that isn't even that negative hurts you, but what's with the attitude? Are you 12?

I'm only stating my concerns, and I didn't say the Wii will kill game per se. If developers start seeing that small Wii games net them more profit than big PS3/360 games which also take more time to make and cost more money, why the heck would they continue working on them after a while?

Honestly though, SW needs to get rid of this childish way of speaking. It's like writing like a child and adding a:lol: in the end gives you more credit than just about any other post. =\

thats fine by me. You can get concerned over nothing, not my problem. and System wars is not a really serious place. don't need to act so grumpy

Xolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Xolver
[QUOTE="Xolver"][QUOTE="monkeysrfat"][QUOTE="Xolver"]

=[

monkeysrfat

thats fine by me. You can get concerned over nothing, not my problem. and System wars is not a really serious place. don't need to act so grumpy

Eh, it's fine by you that developers shift full focus to the Wii... But with small games? Period?

Avatar image for Russell_Burrows
Russell_Burrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Russell_Burrows
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

Wiiplay is garbage and sold plenty and the MAJORITY of Wii games are bad.

http://play.tm/wire/click/1483576

1.) Wii Play (Wii) - Up from No.2
2.) Guitar Hero II with Guitar Controller (PS2) - Up from No.14
3.) Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (PS2) - NEW
4.) Pokémon Diamond (NDS) - Down from No.3
5.) Mario Party 8 (Wii) - Down from No.1
6.) Guitar Hero II with Guitar Controller (360) - Sticking at No.6
7.) Transformers: The Game (PS2) - NEW
8.) Pokémon Pearl (NDS) - Down from No.5
9.) New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) - Up from No.10
10.) Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (NDS) - NEW
11.) Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Wii) - Down from No.7
12.) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - Down from N

http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/reviews/106229.shtml

Review: Wii Play

Let's not mince words here: As a stand-alone game, Wii Play is awful.

It has 9 mini-games but they are all, without exception or fail, repetitive and mediocre.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

[QUOTE="monkeysrfat"]Well this just shows Ubisoft are douchebags. RussellBurrows

Wiiplay is garbage and sold plenty and the MAJORITY of Wii games are bad.

http://play.tm/wire/click/1483576

1.) Wii Play (Wii) - Up from No.2
2.) Guitar Hero II with Guitar Controller (PS2) - Up from No.14
3.) Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (PS2) - NEW
4.) Pokémon Diamond (NDS) - Down from No.3
5.) Mario Party 8 (Wii) - Down from No.1
6.) Guitar Hero II with Guitar Controller (360) - Sticking at No.6
7.) Transformers: The Game (PS2) - NEW
8.) Pokémon Pearl (NDS) - Down from No.5
9.) New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) - Up from No.10
10.) Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (NDS) - NEW
11.) Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Wii) - Down from No.7
12.) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - Down from N

http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/reviews/106229.shtml

Review: Wii Play

Let's not mince words here: As a stand-alone game, Wii Play is awful.

It has 9 mini-games but they are all, without exception or fail, repetitive and mediocre.

WiiPlay sold well because of the bundled Wiimote. The Wiimote suffered a worse shortage than the Wii did at launch because everyone wanted three extra ones.

taikthebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 taikthebate
Member since 2007 • 1427 Posts

Thats why dont buy their games... onany systemAntiType

They actually do make some great games.