Ubisoft Thinks Gamers Are Ready For Next Xbox Always-On Console

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Ubisoft Montreal CEO: next-gen consoles will blur all the lines and create new ways to play

We talk to Yannis Mallat about Ubisoft's preparations for the next generation consoles

• Share 127
  • inShare24
  • Email

Yannis Mallat, CEO, Ubisoft Montreal: "We have to craft our experiences around the way people are now consuming entertainment"

With over 2000 staff and a range of triple A games, Ubisoft Montreal is one of the largest and consistently most interesting mainstream developers in the world. Currently working on the cyberpunk-fuelled conspiracy adventure, Watch Dogs, as well as the long-running Assassin's Creed and Far Cry series' it will be fascinating to see what this place does with the next generation consoles.

To find out how it is preparing, we spoke to the studio's CEO, Yannis Mallat, a 13-year Ubisoft veteran who originally started out as a producer on the Prince of Persia titles. Can the Montreal hit factory remain at the cutting edge of mainstream development in the next era? And if so, what will that take? Here's what Mallat had to say.

So how does a studio the size of Ubisoft Montreal prepare for the switch to next generation machines?
From a studio and a team perspective, we needed to get ready on two fronts - the technological front, of course, but also the mindset. We were pretty prepared on the technology side of things - we didn't wait for the console manufacturers to provide the specs, we'd already invested in high-end PCs and made sure our engines and pipelines were ready to tackle the next-gen machines. We were ready on that side.

The mindset preparation was in asking ourselves, 'what will define the next generation games?' It will be more about the connected experience, and all the services that go with that. From a creator's perspective then it's about how we craft the connected experiences that are going to represent new ways of playing. This is where we rely on the studio's strength, which is to empower the developers and the creative minds, and allow them to come up with their own vision of the next generation. This is what we've been able to propose with Watch Dogs and other titles new connected experiences for the next generation.

Okay, the next generation is going to be about connected experiences. But what do you mean by that? How will it differ from what we already have today, in terms of online multiplayer, social gaming, etc?
We have to understand that it is intrinsically linked to how we see the market. We used to say that we're not competing against other games, we're competing for leisure time. We have to craft our experiences around the way people are now consuming entertainment. For example, with the online multiplayer aspects of a game, we can say and this is true already of Watch Dogs that the next generation will help us to blur the lines between on and offline play and between single and multiplayer. It will be a totally new way to play. I think we showed that last year with the Watchdog trailer and also the live demo we did in February at the Sony PlayStation 4 event. Essentially it will be possible for friends to jump in and out of each other's games without completely changing the experience or becoming an essential part of the storyline that players craft for themselves.

Watch Dogs: the big surprise from Ubisoft at E3 2012

Essentially then, we'll see more, sort of jump-in, jump-out collaboration and competition. But Watch Dogs also has a companion app, allowing players to interact with facets of their game world on a tablet or smartphone. Do you also see gaming become more pervasive? Will more big games allow us to access elements of the experience while out and about?
Yeah, absolutely. Look at TV. I'm pretty sure you watch TV with a second screen on, be it a tablet or a smartphone, so we know that consumers are ready to consumer 90 minutes of entertainment in 45 minutes if you know what I mean. We will have companion games that let you stay immersed in the universe even when you're not in your living room. In the future, all those fantastic universes, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Far Cry they'll stay alive thanks to those devices, within our players' minds.

With all of those games it makes great sense actually, to have a pervasive element. They're all set in open worlds so its logical that you should be able to somehow exist in those worlds away from your console.
Yes, I think it's obvious now why Ubisoft Montreal decided to go for open-world games - which was terribly difficult at the time, in terms of tech and the skills needed to craft those games. It's just the beginning, though, not only because of the successes we're experiencing thanks to those games, but also to understand how those kinds of games lend themselves very well to what the next-generation will bring.

There are controversial aspects of very connected gaming experiences though. If you look at what happened with SimCity, and with the rumours that the next Xbox will require a constant online connection Are you concerned that a lot of people are worried about the implications and demands of 'always online' gaming?

The answer lies in the question as soon as players don't have to worry, then they will only take into account the benefits that those services bring. And I agree, these services need to provide clear benefits. It's important to be able to provide direct connections between us and our consumers, whether that's extra content or online services, a lot of successful games have that.

But are we ready for 'always online' consoles?
Well, that's a question you should put to Microsoft and Sony! I would say that a lot of people are already always online through other devices I would suspect that the audience is ready.

I suspect that team sizes will need to grow with the demands of the next generation. If that's the case, can Ubisoft remain creative? The risks are going to increase aren't they? How do you ensure you're still able to explore original new ideas?
If there is one question thing that keeps me awake at night it's this one. It's an everyday concern in terms of studio DNA and how we approach production. There is no magical recipe to making successful new games you can only ever adopt the best practises. Actually, the only recipe I know is that you take the best team, you give them the means, you give them faith and confidence and you give them incredible challenges to tackle and they usually come back with great stuff.

As for creating new experiences, we really believe in our Breakthrough Strategy, which is linked with technological evolution. Our successes in the past, whether that was the first Splinter Cell, or the first Assassin's Creed, each time we found a technological breakthrough that led to a new way to play that no one had experienced before. It was dynamic lighting that allowed the stealth gameplay in Splinter Cell; when you think about the free-running in Assassin's Creed, the ability of a character to grasp and climb any architectural detail, that was also derived from a technological breakthrough. And this new way to play through technology, was a minimum guarantee to the players of a new game experience. I don't think technology will impair our ability to be creative. On the contrary, you have to embrace technological evolution.

And I guess it's important though that your games are never about technology - that they instead use technology as a creative springboard?
Absolutely. And you know, we're all game designers - the engineers are game designers, the level creators are game designers, the programmers are game designers. It's all about the mindset.

In the past, generational leaps in console technology have really been about graphical evolution. But do you think things will be different with the next generation consoles? Do you think games will look radically different in three years time?
I don't think you're going like my answer! I think yes and no. Yes, because of all we've talked about the connectivity, the social aspects, that will shape new play experiences. But also no, because games will be games - the gameplay is at the heart of it. Good gameplay provides immense pleasure and satisfaction - that is going to stay forever, as long as we're talking about video games.

Source http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/apr/15/yannis-mallat-ubisoft-interview

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Shielder7"] Um no it hasn't, when has AO-DRM EVER proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy? Every Game with AO-DRM has been cracked. clyde46
More-so, games with always online DRM don't magically sell better.

Diablo 3, 12 million copies.

It's Diablo. Diablo 2 had record sales as well. 1 million sold in 2 weeks. It was a world record back then. Without the DRM it would have kept selling.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

wtl;dr

However if the title is accurate they can gtfo, the world isnt ready for an always-on console.

Hell, the world isnt even ready for always-online games, the ones that have been released have started off disastrous and have continued to be terribly inconvenient to honest consumers.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23062 Posts

he said the same thing about sony... you highlighted it and didnt put it in the title.... why?

But are we ready for 'always online' consoles? Well, that's a question you should put to Microsoft and Sony! I would say that a lot of people are already always online through other devices I would suspect that the audience is ready.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Xbox 720 is going to fail so hard, it might even do worse than the Wii U

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

Seems like they haven't learned from their PC community

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

My body is not redy for Always-On

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#9 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41600 Posts

Seems like they haven't learned from their PC community

NoodleFighter
You'd think they would after they dropped the DRM starting with the belated PC port of Rayman Origins
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

did ubisoft learn nothing?

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shielder7
To comment on this it seems Ubisoft is on M$'s ****, While forgetting what a failed DRM practice his own company experienced. He talks about the services DRM needs to provide clear benefits, but without actually stating what those benefits are or how they require DRM. It sounds like M$ is paying off publishers to support "Always On" IMO.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I am ready for a always on console, The publishers are the ones that aren't ready.

Guarantee me always on connectivity with no downtime and we got a deal.

But you can't, so eff you.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
DRM doesn't work, and not everyone has internet, why can't they understand that?
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shielder7

lostrib
Obviously not he seems to think "Or Paid to Think" That always on problem is just consumers worrying. But even if that were true the worry that in 5-10 years when the servers go off line your games will become unplayable isn't going to go away.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
All DRM does is restrict legitimate customers.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shielder7

I am ready for a always on console, The publishers are the ones that aren't ready.

heretrix
You might be the majority of the public isn't. Name me one benefit to the consumer of having an always on console.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I'm not reading all that, but I did read the red bit. If a company can show me clear benefits for me to be always online, then back them up, and it dosn't cripple the device during the odd connection outage, it has a chance. If the benefit is to publishers, they can kiss my money goodbye.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

lostrib
Considering how much the company has grown over this gen I would think they have learned a lot.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

CanYouDiglt

Considering how much the company has grown over this gen I would think they have learned a lot.

apparently not about the perils of always online DRM

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Well considering they know the numbers of games being sold I think they have a better idea then any of us. They actually know what sells and what does not.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clyde46
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Considering how much the company has grown over this gen I would think they have learned a lot.CanYouDiglt

Well considering they know the numbers of games being sold I think they have a better idea then any of us. They actually know what sells and what does not.

They had to remove the AO DRM from their games to get them to sell.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9932 Posts
My internet connection is ok, so I guess it would work for me. At the same time I can't think of a single benefit. So I'd prefer if they skipped it. Ofc a lot of other gamers live in less developed areas and will encounter a bunch of other problems.
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts
Totally idiotic of them to support always on.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Considering how much the company has grown over this gen I would think they have learned a lot.CanYouDiglt

Except they actually removed the always online DRM from their products because " they're more inconvenient to our paying customers, so in listening to our players, we removed them" (http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/09/05/1716230/ubisoft-ditches-always-online-drm-requirement-from-pc-games)

and even with the always online DRM, their games were pirated to hell

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CanYouDiglt

lostrib

Except they actually removed the always online DRM from their products because " they're more inconvenient to our paying customers, so in listening to our players, we removed them" (http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/09/05/1716230/ubisoft-ditches-always-online-drm-requirement-from-pc-games)

and even with the always online DRM, their games were pirated to hell

lol I guess they do not know what they are talking about then.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
What was that saying about insanity and it being someone who does the same thing over and over expecting different results? I think someone should let Ubisoft know that they're tried this before.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

My internet connection is ok, so I guess it would work for me. At the same time I can't think of a single benefit. So I'd prefer if they skipped it. Ofc a lot of other gamers live in less developed areas and will encounter a bunch of other problems.Sushiglutton

problem is not necessarily your internet, but their servers.  If their servers go down for whatever reason, then you can't play

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

He's lying, this better be a joke.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Did they forget about the DRM fiasco with the PC community?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Shielder7

You might be the majority of the public isn't. Name me one benefit to the consumer of having an always on console.

You miss my point. I'm not wishing for an always on console, I'm just stating that while I can support one, the people who are trying to push such a device can't really provide a satisfactory experience for me. I have a 80 Mbps fiber connection so it's not a problem ON MY END.

The real problem is, and I've stated this during the Simcity debacle, when their downtime interferes with me wanting to play a game when I want to. 

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shielder7

clyde46

They had to remove the AO DRM from their games to get them to sell.

And for some reason they don't think history will repeat it's self.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KungfuKitten

I wanna be sponsored by MS.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clyde46
Trouble is, AO-DRM has proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy, however you are also hurting your customers in the process.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shielder7
Totally idiotic of them to support always on.I_can_haz
I think M$ is trying to build support for it. Easy to support something that someone is paying you to support even if you know it's bad.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

heretrix

You miss my point. I'm not wishing for an always on console, I'm just stating that while I can support one, the people who are trying to push such a device can't really provide a satisfactory experience for me. I have a 80 Mbps fiber connection so it's not a problem ON MY END.

The real problem is, and I've stated this during the Simcity debacle, when their downtime interferes with me wanting to play a game when I want to. 

Yeah it becomes more of a play around their schedule sort of thing. 

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

With so many lemmings using hacked 360s do they really have a choice?

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shielder7
Trouble is, AO-DRM has proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy, however you are also hurting your customers in the process. clyde46
Um no it hasn't, when has AO-DRM EVER proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy? Every Game with AO-DRM has been cracked.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Trouble is, AO-DRM has proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy, however you are also hurting your customers in the process. Shielder7
Um no it hasn't, when has AO-DRM EVER proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy? Every Game with AO-DRM has been cracked.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Trouble is, AO-DRM has proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy, however you are also hurting your customers in the process. Shielder7

I said combat, not defeat. Most pirates are lazy, if they can't get something to work they won't bother. AO-DRM is a hassle in the extreme for them, sure if you are persistent enough you can break it but for many it is a deterrent.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clyde46
[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="clyde46"]Trouble is, AO-DRM has proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy, however you are also hurting your customers in the process. KungfuKitten

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shielder7

With so many lemmings using hacked 360s do they really have a choice?

tenaka2
hacked 360s are limited you're a fool to go online with them, and it's not going to stop people from hacking them in fact odds are it will increase. Look at the PS 3 not too many hacked PS 3s going around especially online.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shielder7
[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="clyde46"]Trouble is, AO-DRM has proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy, however you are also hurting your customers in the process. clyde46

I said combat, not defeat. Most pirates are lazy, if they can't get something to work they won't bother. AO-DRM is a hassle in the extreme for them, sure if you are persistent enough you can break it but for many it is a deterrent.

Yeah I guess if every hacker had to crack his own copy yeah you'd be right, but there's always one (usually hundreds if the game is good) That crack it and put it online for everyone. You don't need to crack the game yourself.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shielder7
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Shielder7"] Um no it hasn't, when has AO-DRM EVER proved that it is an effective means of combating piracy? Every Game with AO-DRM has been cracked.

Exception not the rule and Diablo 3 sucked it sold because of Diablo 2. Also ironically Ubisoft had to get rid of DRM to make their games sell.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clyde46
[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"] More-so, games with always online DRM don't magically sell better.

Exception not the rule and Diablo 3 sucked it sold because of Diablo 2. Also ironically Ubisoft had to get rid of DRM to make their games sell.

Correct, however now that people have been burned by this AO-DRM they will think twice about buying games with it in the future. As I stated previously, AO-DRM does nothing but hurt legitimate customers.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Shielder7"] You might be the majority of the public isn't. Name me one benefit to the consumer of having an always on console.seanmcloughlin

Yes, and that is unacceptable.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shielder7

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]You miss my point. I'm not wishing for an always on console, I'm just stating that while I can support one, the people who are trying to push such a device can't really provide a satisfactory experience for me. I have a 80 Mbps fiber connection so it's not a problem ON MY END.

heretrix

Yes, and that is unacceptable.

Besides that it also hinders performance, regardless of how good your machine is there is always going to be added lag with Always online.
razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts
well ubisoft is wrong
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#48 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
In other news Ubisoft skims gamer forums for marketing purposes.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Shielder7

[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] The question is directed at Microsoft? wha?

you can't possibly have deduced from the question...

"There are controversial aspects of very connected gaming experiences though. If you look at what happened with SimCity, and with the rumours that the next Xbox will require a constant online connection Are you concerned that a lot of people are worried about the implications and demands of 'always online' gaming?

...that they are asking him for anything more than a comment as to the actual question of "are you concerned that a lot of people are worried about the implications and demands of always online gaming"... especially when his response is, to go ask Microsoft AND sony... there is just no way.  Again, If always online and DRM rear an ugly head this gen then we will all pass, but why paint a picture of innacuracy just to serve your agenda?  your title is wrong... Gamespot even reported it and didnt have anything about microsoft in the title, just that he comments that gamers are ready for always online.

TheEroica

"rumours that the next Xbox will require a constant online connection Are you concerned that a lot of people are worried about the implications and demands of 'always online' gaming?" The question was directed at Microsoft as they are the only ones with the "Always On" DRM issue. Sony is not doing Always on so there is no need to mention them period, why can't you get that through your head?

Im literally laughing right now... wow man... just wow. :lol: so you never stopped to think that he sites simcity and rumors of the next xbox as being simply examples of the industry inching closer to always online? and further you just never noticed his completely vanilla and balanced response of, go ask microsoft and sony, as giving no such comment in singling out microsoft alone. just wow... It's not a sony thing yep... its a rumor thing about where the industry may be heading and the person asking the question cited a rumor (xbox) and a fact (simcity) and the person answering responded by not saying a word about xbox alone... yet the title still reads... "Ubisoft Thinks Gamers Are Ready For Next Xbox Always-On Console". sad... "Ubisoft comments that gamers are ready for always online consoles" wouldve been much more accurate, but thats not as system wars catchy.

Are you trying to be stupid, is your reading comprehension that bad or has your Fanboyism actually made you this dumb? The Question was directed at the Next Box as it's the only console that is doing the "Always Online"  I never mentioned sony because it's not even an issue with Sony only MS as far as Consoles are concerned.  Stop being stupid, thank you.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shielder7
wtl;dr

However if the title is accurate they can gtfo, the world isnt ready for an always-on console.Snugenz

It's accurate read the red part.