Ubisoft - Prince of Persia franchise has been 'paused'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
See the full article at GoNintendo.com [Quote="Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallet"]Brand management is a tricky thing. It needs people's attention a lot. I think it is fair to say that, right now, Prince of Persia is being paused. But we said the same thing for some other brands that suddenly popped up because a team is willing to do it. I'm not scared at all for Prince of Persia fans, We'll find something to entertain them with in the future. Prince of Persia is part of Ubisoft's portfolio. As a matter of fact, we sometimes iterate on franchises and sometimes we give them time to breathe and time to grow, or time to rest. Prince of Persia is as important as any other franchise for Ubisoft. As soon as we have something to show, we will.

Thoughts? I personally think this is bullsh*t. I love Assassin's Creed series. I even liked AC1, Revelations, and AC3. But I also loved Sands of Time. And Forgotten Sands. And I love Prince of Persia 2008 very, very violently. Do you want a game where Nolan North actually gets to make good jokes? Go play PoP 2008. Do you want a game where a female character is more than her boobs and actually has a likable and sympathetic character? Go play PoP 2008. Do you want a game where the world is rendered in one of the best cel-shading graphics even to this date? Go play 2008. With some obvious refinements, PoP 2008 would have turned into a great series reboot. Instead, Ubisoft decided to become EActivision and went hell with it. No, actually, they became something worse. You know how EA alternates BF series and MoH series biannually? And how Activision alternates MW and Blops the same way? Why can't Ubisoft do the same? Do one year on AC, and the other on PoP. Ubi Montreal is big enough of a company to have 3-4 full projects going on at the same time, this would have been fine if they didn't just give up even before trying. I wasn't all that of a critique of AC going annual because I liked the fact at least it tried to improve. And I was waiting patiently, giving Ubi all the time they need to come up with a new PoP. And after AC3, I was hoping for that new PoP this year. Instead, they put the nail on the coffin. Yeah, I know you aren't scared at all of us PoP fans, Ubisoft, because if you were, you wouldn't be f*cking us this way.  Rest in Peace.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Lol they to busy milking AC to make 1 prince of persia game?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I would have bought a 2008 sequel without even thinking about it.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts
I would have bought a 2008 sequel without even thinking about it.Zeviander
Same, I really enjoyed that game. Guess they're too busy releasing an AC title on a yearly basis nowadays.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I would have bought a 2008 sequel without even thinking about it.travisstaggs
Same, I really enjoyed that game. Guess they're too busy releasing an AC title on a yearly basis nowadays.

Yeah, and to do that they need multiple teams working on multiple AC games at the same time. If they would just relase 1 great AC game every 2 years the franchise would live for 20+ years.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Same here instead of milking AC make a new PoP game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Meh, I haven't played a PoP game this gen. The last gen games were pretty good.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

same. I enjoyed the game and the 2 characters and they left a cliff hanger ending which is freaking bs. I even bought the dlc that continues it and its still cliff hanger WTF!

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
For the best...the last one was not fun.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I would have bought a 2008 sequel without even thinking about it.finalfantasy94

same. I enjoyed the game and the 2 characters and they left a cliff hanger ending which is freaking bs. I even bought the dlc that continues it and its still cliff hanger WTF!

Is it worth it? I mean, I liked the platforming of 2008 game, so.... how much more content is there? Like a whole new area with 4 stages and a boss?
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
For the best...the last one was not fun. senses_fail_06
It had potential, which means more the reasons to actually get going with it. Especially for a franchise that had a great trilogy last gen. And if you are talking about Forgotten Sands, I thought the platforming was great in that game. Combat sucked, but who cares, it was better than Sands of Time.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I would have bought a 2008 sequel without even thinking about it.funsohng

Is it worth it? I mean, I liked the platforming of 2008 game, so.... how much more content is there? Like a whole new area with 4 stages and a boss?

from memory no it wasint worth the cash. The level was really fast. It felt like it should have cost 2 bucks the most.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

[QUOTE="travisstaggs"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]I would have bought a 2008 sequel without even thinking about it.crimsonman1245

Yeah, and to do that they need multiple teams working on multiple AC games at the same time. If they would just relase 1 great AC game every 2 years the franchise would live for 20+ years.

I wish they would wait 2 to 3 years between the AC games, or just let AC3 be the final one. (I've not beat it yet so I'm not sure how it ends) Plus the 2008 PoP ended on a cliffhanger...Ubi are just ignoring it altogether it seems like.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]For the best...the last one was not fun. funsohng
It had potential, which means more the reasons to actually get going with it. Especially for a franchise that had a great trilogy last gen. And if you are talking about Forgotten Sands, I thought the platforming was great in that game. Combat sucked, but who cares, it was better than Sands of Time.

Never played that one. Didn't even know it existed until right now. I thought the last one was 2008's game. I think it was just called Prince of Persia.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]For the best...the last one was not fun. senses_fail_06

Never played that one. Didn't even know it existed until right now. I thought the last one was 2008's game. I think it was just called Prince of Persia.

Yeah that was the reboot. They made a game called Forgotten Sands that is strikingly similar to the story of the Sands of Time (almost a re-imagining) around the time the movie was in theatres. It was short, combat was bad, but the acrobatic platforming was really something, especially in the later stages.
caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Prince of Persia 2008 and Forgotten Sands sold very poorly. I love the POP series, but if the last few games have been poor sellers, than I can understand why Ubisoft is putting the series on hiatus while they review its future.

If I remember correctly, Prince of Persia has lagged behind Ubisoft's other series like Assissan's Creed, Splinter Cell, and the Tom Clancy Games when it comes to sales. Hell, back in the sixth generation, Warrior Within went for an M rating in an attempt to attract buyers after Sands of Time failed to meet Ubisoft's expectations.

I would love to see more Prince of Persia, but I also can't fault Ubisoft if the games aren't selling. The bigger issue is why these brilliant games keep getting ignored by most gamers.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I do love me some PoP, so its kind of sad that they killed it for now. My last one I played was 2008 (got the whole collection on Steam so still got some to go) and I also thought it was fairly good.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9860 Posts
I prefer PoP over AC. PoP is more pure with a stronger emphasis on gameplay. Even though the games are easy they still have enopugh player input to be fun (compare with the "hold your stick in the right direction"-tombs in AC for example). Was a bit dispointed with the direction they took after the excellent WW though. I think it's good that they have taken a break. But now it's perhaps time to switch again and put AC on ice instead?
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 funsohng

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Prince of Persia 2008 and Forgotten Sands sold very poorly. I love the POP series, but if the last few games have been poor sellers, than I can understand why Ubisoft is putting the series on hiatus while they review its future.

If I remember correctly, Prince of Persia has lagged behind Ubisoft's other series like Assissan's Creed, Splinter Cell, and the Tom Clancy Games when it comes to sales. Hell, back in the sixth generation, Warrior Within went for an M rating in an attempt to attract buyers after Sands of Time failed to meet Ubisoft's expectations.

I would love to see more Prince of Persia, but I also can't fault Ubisoft if the games aren't selling. The bigger issue is why these brilliant games keep getting ignored by most gamers.

caryslan2
PoP 2008 did okay. It was Forgotten Sands that flopped. And Ubi had those games at a bad launch window, IIRC.
dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
Speaking of PoP and AC... how would a open world PoP do?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#21 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
waste of dev time IMO so good
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Speaking of PoP and AC... how would a open world PoP do?dracolich55
POP 08 was open-world, sort of. More openness than that wouldn't fit the platforming style of the series.
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

That's disappointing. I loved the 2008 PoP. Hell, I still play it nowadays.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="dracolich55"]Speaking of PoP and AC... how would a open world PoP do?Cherokee_Jack
POP 08 was open-world, sort of. More openness than that wouldn't fit the platforming style of the series.

Yep, open world and 90% Barren. Which is annoying because you never find out what happend to Farah. She could've made traveling easier.
Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

A couple things.

Make the game like the old PoP games. WW was the best.

No black character. Hes suppose to be persian.

No hack n slash combat. its boring, easy, and lame.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Prince of Persia 2008 and Forgotten Sands sold very poorly.

caryslan2

08 sold over 2 million copies. A sequel was started, then cancelled and its assets were used for the Wii version of Forgotten Sands.

They tried to make a modern day PoP, cancelled it then started an open world Ancient Egypt PoP (lol) with God of War styIe combat.

That's being turned into a new IP called Osiris, hence the PoP hiatus.

Ubisoft is willing to have a new PoP, they just can't figure out a good way to bring it back. They never really knew how to handle the franchise, SoT was an accident...

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Not a fan of Pop 08.

However I liked Forgotten Sands alot. It had platforming that's arguably best in the series. It's just too bad it was so short. I would've much rather gotten a prince of persia game then Brotherhood and Revelations.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Would've been nice if we had gotten a sequel to PoP 08 instead of Forgotten Sands. I'm guessing the PoP movie was the deciding factor there. Looks like we'll be waiting a long time for more PoP now and that really sucks considering the open ending to PoP 08. Hopefully this Osiris game doesn't disappoint.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Damn, PoP SoT was the first game that got me into action-adventure genre then WW was just a blast. I consider WW to be superior than GoW. And Ubi whatever you do please don't make anything like PoP2008, that game literally plays by it self with crap combat.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#30 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

2008 Prince of Persia and the Forgotten Sands sucked balls.

The 2 Thrones was the best one. Why can't they just build on that game instead of downgrading the combat/gameplay for the last 2 PoP games?

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="dracolich55"]Speaking of PoP and AC... how would a open world PoP do?Lulekani

Yep, open world and 90% Barren. Which is annoying because you never find out what happend to Farah. She could've made traveling easier.

It was more like a web of pre-determined routes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Was not a fan of 2008. Honestly found the woman annoying.
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Thoughts? I personally think this is bullsh*t. I love Assassin's Creed series. I even liked AC1, Revelations, and AC3. But I also loved Sands of Time. And Forgotten Sands. And I love Prince of Persia 2008 very, very violently. Do you want a game where Nolan North actually gets to make good jokes? Go play PoP 2008. Do you want a game where a female character is more than her boobs and actually has a likable and sympathetic character? Go play PoP 2008. Do you want a game where the world is rendered in one of the best cel-shading graphics even to this date? Go play 2008. With some obvious refinements, PoP 2008 would have turned into a great series reboot. Instead, Ubisoft decided to become EActivision and went hell with it. No, actually, they became something worse. You know how EA alternates BF series and MoH series biannually? And how Activision alternates MW and Blops the same way? Why can't Ubisoft do the same? Do one year on AC, and the other on PoP. Ubi Montreal is big enough of a company to have 3-4 full projects going on at the same time, this would have been fine if they didn't just give up even before trying. I wasn't all that of a critique of AC going annual because I liked the fact at least it tried to improve. And I was waiting patiently, giving Ubi all the time they need to come up with a new PoP. And after AC3, I was hoping for that new PoP this year. Instead, they put the nail on the coffin. Yeah, I know you aren't scared at all of us PoP fans, Ubisoft, because if you were, you wouldn't be f*cking us this way.  Rest in Peace.funsohng

The Sands of Time trilogy was easily one the best series of last gen and PoP 2008 is fantastic. People hate on it but it has so many great ideas and it's silly that we don't have a sequel. I really enjoy Assassin's Creed myself but that series can f*ck off if it's why there's no more Prince of Persia. The on-off cycle that you suggested would be great though. We don't need yearly AC games anyway.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Lol they to busy milking AC to make 1 prince of persia game?

crimsonman1245

i agree

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

PoP 2008 was awful

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

POP 2008 sucks! it was as boring as hell

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] POP 08 was open-world, sort of. More openness than that wouldn't fit the platforming style of the series.Gxgear

It was more like a web of pre-determined routes.

I gues the level Design wasnt bad at all (Deserts are suppose to be empty, just like journey) I just wish that dude would finaly get a name and find his damn donkey (to make traveling easier).
Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#39 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

While I would've been pissed off about this, after seeing how AC went on a downward spiral I'm glad they are staying away from PoP. Forgotten Sands was, well, forgettable and while 2008 was fantastic, it lacked substance.

I prefer PoP as a whole over AC, but there's no shame or problem in admitting that they simply don't know where to go with the franchise. If them making Forgotten Sands to try to cash in on the movie and interest old fans wasn't a red flag, this clearly means Ubi has no clue where they want to go with this franchise, especially when they are riding high off of AC.

Better to bow out several years later than trying and failing to recreate Sands of Time or even 2008 in a similar manner to Sonic. Come back strong in a couple of years PoP, I'll be semi-waiting.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

Make another one like WW with PoP2008 characters & humour then i'm happy, that'd never happen though. If there's a new PoP game one day, it will have multiplayer & quite a few DLC/microtransaction.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I don't care about Prince of Persia (that peaked with Warrioor Within) or Butt Creed, so I'm meh to this.

Do want dat Watch Dogs, though. But it's Ubisoft, so they'll probably find some way to f*ck it up.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 finalfantasy94

Damn, PoP SoT was the first game that got me into action-adventure genre then WW was just a blast. I consider WW to be superior than GoW. And Ubi whatever you do please don't make anything like PoP2008, that game literally plays by it self with crap combat.

zeeshanhaider

Really i didint know I can lay downt he controller and it just play by itself. Man was I playing it wrong. Also SOT combat was boring and while 08 was simple as well I still find it better then sot "combat".

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]

finalfantasy94

Really i didint know I can lay downt he controller and it just play by itself. Man was I playing it wrong. Also SOT combat was boring and while 08 was simple as well I still find it better then sot "combat".

I on the other hand think combat is one of the best feature in pop2008, the mechanic that is, feel pretty fluid and fun, though stupid enemy/battle designs kill all the potential. WW has the best combat, as well as being the best game in the series imo.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]

rjdofu

I on the other hand think combat is one of the best feature in pop2008, the mechanic that is, feel pretty fluid and fun, though stupid enemy/battle designs kill all the potential. WW has the best combat, as well as being the best game in the series imo.

brofist-brocode.jpg

Prince of Persia should have stopped after WW. Such a good game, and it had a really good story, too. It was clear they were never going to top it.

But like pretty much every trilogy, they ignored that and made a third act that disappointed everyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 205212669269561485377169522720

I don't care about Prince of Persia (that peaked with Warrioor Within) or Butt Creed, so I'm meh to this.

Do want dat Watch Dogs, though. But it's Ubisoft, so they'll probably find some way to f*ck it up.

DarkLink77

Pretty much. I know they will screw up Watch Dogs some how. They managed with AC3 so I wouldn't put it past them.

Ubisoft Montreal has a lot of talent, but I don't know.. In the past few years they simply haven't been scratching that itch for me. (Finally I see someone praise Warrior Within for once, I absolutely loved it)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 205212669269561485377169522720

DarkLink77

Pretty much. I know they will screw up Watch Dogs some how. They managed with AC3 so I wouldn't put it past them.

Ubisoft Montreal has a lot of talent, but I don't know.. In the past few years they simply haven't been scratching that itch for me. (Finally I see someone praise Warrior Within for once, I absolutely loved it)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

sanim02

Ubisoft Montreal is very talented, but holy hell do they have problems executing their concepts.

And yeah, Warrior Within is fantastic. Good gameplay, good story, very memorable. It should have been the end of the PoP series, imo. Especially considering the ending(s).

I don't know why everyone is so opposed to dualologies when most trilogies drop the ball somewhere along the line. I would rather have two great things than one good thing, one great thing, and one disappointing thing. Imagine the Alien series with just Alien or Aliens. Or Indiana Jones with just Raiders and The Last Crusade. Or Bioshock without Bioshock 2. Or Uncharted without Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Or Halo without Halo 2's mess of a rushed campaign. Or Metal Gear Solid with just 1 and 3. Or Gears without Gears 2.

Truly, the world would be a better place.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tryagainlater

I always thought I was the only one who thought Warrior Within was the best Prince of Persia game. I'm so glad I'm not alone :cry: People always complained that the music was sh*t (which it was admittedly) and that Ubisoft tried to make the Prince overly badass while overlooking the fact that the combat was awesome, the same old platforming that we loved was still there and the Dahaka chases were tense as hell.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I always thought I was the only one who thought Warrior Within was the best Prince of Persia game. I'm so glad I'm not alone :cry: People always complained that the music was sh*t (which it was admittedly) and that Ubisoft tried to make the Prince overly badass while overlooking the fact that the combat was awesome, the same old platforming that we loved was still there and the Dahaka chases were tense as hell.

tryagainlater

They dissed WW because of the gothic theme and overall darker story, which i didn't mind at all. I mean, if i recall correctly a demon of time has ben hunting the prince for 7 years, the stress and fear effectivelly turning the prince from his charming SoT, to a psychopath.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tryagainlater

[QUOTE="tryagainlater"]

Lucianu

They dissed WW because of the gothic theme and overall darker story, which i didn't mind at all. I mean, if i recall correctly a demon of time has ben hunting the prince for 7 years, the stress and fear effectivelly turning the prince from his charming SoT, to a psychopath.

Yes, I did think they had a decent narrative reason for the new Prince but I'm fairly sure that's not why Ubisoft did it :P I think they wanted to attract a new audience. Doesn't bother me at all though.