Trophies and achievements - a game ruiner or a game improver

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JuliaanStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JuliaanStark
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

I feel like trophies and achievements can be a game destroyer, because they tend to make you play the game just to get them. It's like if you bought a game and you don't really like it, you're gonna spend countless hours on it anyways just to get that trophy or achievement so you can brag to your friends about it.

So what do you guys think; Do achievements and trophies improve games or do they ruin them?

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Since they add replay value, I think they improve games. If you don't like them then don't go for them.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#3 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

As someone who is addicted to collecting them, I can honestly say I wish they were never invented.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
"HEY BRO, LET ME GET TORQUE BOW. I'M TRYING TO GET THE ACHIEVEMENT" I'm guilty of achievement whoring too though :(
JuliaanStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JuliaanStark

Since they add replay value, I think they improve games. If you don't like them then don't go for them.fabz_95

That's exactly what the problem is. I don't like them, but I feel a need to go for them cause I can't stand when my friends keep saying they're better than me at a game just because they have more trophies than me

shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

I personally have never really cared about them. I can see why a lot of people feel they ad replay time to a game, and if that's important to you then I guess they can be a good thing. Personally I like to play a game because I'm enjoying the story and/or it's fun. If I'm not enjoying the game, then there really isn't any reason for me to be playing it.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Its only positive (as long as none of them are online related with stupid objectives) because you can ignore them. You are playing for fun (well atleast that's why I play games) so how you enjoy it is up to you.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Pretty much a non factor unless they're out of the box like some of crackdown 1's.
jj42883

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jj42883
Member since 2003 • 390 Posts

I personally have never really cared about them. I can see why a lot of people feel they ad replay time to a game, and if that's important to you then I guess they can be a good thing. Personally I like to play a game because I'm enjoying the story and/or it's fun. If I'm not enjoying the game, then there really isn't any reason for me to be playing it.

shadowcat2576
exactly. i don't have as much time to spend playing video games as i did when i was younger so if the game isn't fun, then i'm not going to play it anymore. but if the game IS fun, and the trophies/achievements extend that fun, then its good. If your wasting your time playing a game you don't like just because you "need" to get that next achievement, don't blame the game.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

They add to the game. I like going on a trophy hunt to get a few extra Trophies / Achievements.

If you don't like them then don't worry about them when they pop up. No one is forcing you to collect them.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Its only positive (as long as none of them are online related with stupid objectives) because you can ignore them. You are playing for fun (well atleast that's why I play games) so how you enjoy it is up to you.

ActicEdge
Fun comes from rewards tho. A new gun in COD, a level up in Dragon Age, a gold star in Mario, etc. Achievements are just another layer of rewards, I really don't get why people could not like them?
icygangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 icygangsta
Member since 2006 • 2897 Posts
It doesn't ruin games. If you don't like them ignore them. If you like them don't ignore them. The rest is all personal preference. Nothing much else to understand.
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

Game ruiner in some cases and improver in others e.g. achievements like get 100 kills with knife etc i tend to go for them from the very first mission which ends up with me dying so many times trying to kill everyone with knife that the game becomes frustrating and im no longer enjoying the game but some achievements improve the game by increasing replay value e.g. completeing gears on the hardest difficulty and collecting all dog tags or doing all side quests in oblivion. I wouldnt have done that if it wasnt for the cheevos.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Part of the issue is when people stop playing the game for fun and instead play it for virtual points or trophies. Once people forget about what gaming is all about, then we have a problem, especially when they're boasting about achievement points from shovelware games. Not every game needs it, and sometimes I feel that achievements can impede the enjoyment of a game.
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

I dig 'em. IMO its better than replaying a game just to get a higher score (remember when gamers did that?).

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

Trophies and achievements - a self-esteem ruiner or a self-esteem improver

:P

JuliaanStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JuliaanStark
Part of the issue is when people stop playing the game for fun and instead play it for virtual points or trophies. Once people forget about what gaming is all about, then we have a problem, especially when they're boasting about achievement points from shovelware games. Not every game needs it, and sometimes I feel that achievements can impede the enjoyment of a game.hiphops_savior
Exactly!
JuliaanStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JuliaanStark

I dig 'em. IMO its better than replaying a game just to get a higher score (remember when gamers did that?).

NEStorianPriest

That was even lamer...

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

I see nothing wrong with trophies and achievements.

So what if people hunt for them? For them it's a fun experiance and a form of enjoyment. Just because some people hunt for trophies doesn't mean they forget about why we play video games which if for fun but it's their form of entertainment. I don't see how it really can ruin a game. It's not like your forced to get them. If someone rants about their trophies/achievements just ignore them.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

Agreed.

However, I play games to enjoy them, and for A challenge. Once I'm "done" with a game I like to go back and try to get all the trophies...because I think its fun and sometimes challenging. Just because I like trophies doesn't mean I don't know how to enjoy agame.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
They are definitely aren't a game ruiner. I'm not sure how having them in forces you to do anything you don't want to do.
JuliaanStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JuliaanStark

Trophies and achievements - a self-esteem ruiner or a self-esteem improver

:P

catfishmoon23
Yeah
JuliaanStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JuliaanStark

I see nothing wrong with trophies and achievements.

So what if people hunt for them? For them it's a fun experiance and a form of enjoyment. Just because some people hunt for trophies doesn't mean they forget about why we play video games which if for fun but it's their form of entertainment. I don't see how it really can ruin a game. It's not like your forced to get them. If someone rants about their trophies/achievements just ignore them.

fusionhunter
I guess you're right
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
[QUOTE="JuliaanStark"]

I feel like trophies and achievements can be a game destroyer, because they tend to make you play the game just to get them. It's like if you bought a game and you don't really like it, you're gonna spend countless hours on it anyways just to get that trophy or achievement so you can brag to your friends about it.

So what do you guys think; Do achievements and trophies improve games or do they ruin them?

Who cares how others spend their countless hours? I am responsible for me. I spend time gaming because I want to, and enjoy achievements and trophies, but they don't drive me.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Depends on how they are used many different games do them many different ways.
Orange box for example has one of the best examples of achievements/trophies instead of giving so few they give us a plathoria of them and make up whacky stuff to do in game to get them.

Who else loved carrying a garden gnome across huge stretches just to put it in a rocket ship and wave good bye?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

I enjoy them. However, I don't think they really improve, nor ruin a game. The option is there, go to town or don't bother.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

i think they're just a fun addition, and don't really add or detract from a game. i love wii games, and they don't offer achievements or trophies. then again, when i'm playing 360 or PS3, i get a kick out of earning one.

NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
they are nothing but a chore. Tedious chores for no purpose.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
they are nothing but a chore. Tedious chores for no purpose.NintendoNite
But because they have no purpose, you shouldn't call them a chore surely? You're implying that they're unnecessary which means they don't affect gameplay. I love them, even if I don't tend to get very many out of a game. GT5 is one that I'll aim for though, because I can see myself loving this for a long time. (It deserves way more than 8.0 :P)
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
they are nothing but a chore. Tedious chores for no purpose.NintendoNite
you'll often get an achievement/trophy for simply beating a stage or level. so progressing in a game is a chore?
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

i think they add to the game alot. when i like a game that has achievements/trophies, i will replay that game alot more til i have most if not all the achievements. during my first play with said liked game, i play it normally. it's when i replay it that i aim to capture achievemtns/trophies. if a bad game has achievements/trophies, i simply just choose to not play a bad game, because a bad game is exactly that, A BAD GAME!

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
I don't see how it could deter from the experience... You can still play the game like you normally would.
thrillh0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thrillh0
Member since 2008 • 335 Posts

Depends on the implementation.

I remember early on there were some damn impossibly hard cheeves to get, like online leaderboard cheeves for Quake IV or Chromehounds. Then you get softballs like Airbender which give you all 1000 GS points by spamming the B button for 5 minutes.

And yeah, I'm guilty of letting my tykes play on my gamertag just to get the GS for Lego and Dreamworks games. I'm not a proud man.

I thought Fable 3 had a great implementation of rewards - quite a few gained just by finishing the main quest, even more by exploring Albion after the main quest, and a few gained online. To get some of the cheeves you had to keep playing & exploring, and there was a lot of areas I hadn't even ventured to during the main game.

Proudest/hardest cheeve yet: Finishing FEAR on Extreme. Damn. Took over a year & 2 smashed controllers.

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts
Definitely a game improver and I think most would agree.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

How on earth could trophies/achievements be a bad thing? They literally do nothing for you except give you a goal to complete. If anything, they strive for me to play games on harder modes and give me a reason to challenge myself.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
None of the above. They are just there for completionists.
Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

I don't have a problem with them

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#38 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
It's neither, really.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

locopatho

Fun comes from rewards tho. A new gun in COD, a level up in Dragon Age, a gold star in Mario, etc. Achievements are just another layer of rewards, I really don't get why people could not like them?

I wouldn't try to define fun if I were you. Nothing good can come from it.

JuliaanStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JuliaanStark

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I wouldn't try to define fun if I were you. Nothing good can come from it.

Agreed
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#42 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I think virtual rewards in the form of text boxes have not the slightest ability of influencing a game's quality.

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

"HEY BRO, LET ME GET TORQUE BOW. I'M TRYING TO GET THE ACHIEVEMENT" I'm guilty of achievement whoring too though :(Juggernaut140

Typical. You'd get it eventually and it would have been legit as well. Back when I had a 360 and Gears. I only needed the achievements, "This is Annex" and "Seriously" :(

reiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 reiv
Member since 2008 • 1038 Posts
I think they add value to a game you already enjoy playing.
JuliaanStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JuliaanStark
I think they add value to a game you already enjoy playing.reiv
There! That's what I was looking for! I wanted the opinion of a like-minded individual. Great! Thanks!
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

They aren't really either for me. They are just simply there. I don't usually go out of my way to try and get them all.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Game improver. They can make games last longer and make additional thing to do in them.

FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts
Improver for me. Because of being strapped for time, I would play through most games last gen once and never touch them again. I'm even more strapped for time, but I find that achievements make me play a game longer than I normally would. Which I think is great because it increases a games replay value for me and I buy less games because of it, which helps the wallet with all my bills lol.
diegobf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 diegobf
Member since 2003 • 930 Posts

I don't actually care at a conscious level.... but I still wonder why my MGS4 is getting dust on my shelf... as opposed to all other PS3 games I have finished with trophy support...

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

They help add replay to games, so improver.