Top 5 Innovations of Gaming in the last 2 gens

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts

What do you believe are the top 5 gaming innovations since last gen (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast)?

Here's my list:

1. Online - without a doubt the most innovative implentation for console gaming in recent memory. Starting with the Dreamcast and honed on the Xbox and PS2 and now 360 and PS3. Although monthly fees (XBL), micro-transactions, and taking the spot light off of splitscreen play, it still is a very welcoming feature that has changed the way we play our games.

2. Downloadable Content - I use this term in a general sense. I'm talking about all the expansion packs, Xbox Live Arcade games, PSN games, Wii-ware games, and the Virtual Console. Obviously there are plenty of useless downloads that are a waste of money (ie. horse armor), but I think this feature as a whole has had a positive impact on the industry and us, the consumers. Not only does it allow developers to expand upon their games after release, but it saves us the gas money and time to go to the store and pick up these expansions. Plus, it gives independant developers a chance to get into the industry.

3. Motion Sensing - Some may be skeptical of this, but thats only because its in its early stages of development. Clearly other companies are interested (Sony putting the 6-Axis in right after Nintendo unveiled it at E3), so I think we see it being perfected over the next few gens.

4. User Interfaces - I don't believe this should be considered all that "innovative", but they have definitely become a huge priority for the big 3. Sony with their Home system, Microsoft with their NXE, and Nintendo with their Mii's. It seems the more intuitive and more multi-media features available, the better the user interface is.

5. First Person Shooters - I think I'm going to get some flack for putting this in the list, but at least listen to my reasoning behind it. The FPS genre wasn't always an oversaturated genre with tons of clones and mediocre games. But for console gaming, I believe the FPS is the genre that has evolved the most over the last 2 generations of consoles. What did we have during the N64/PS gen? Goldeneye and Perfect Dark? Now we have so many blockbuster FPS titles, all with a plethora of different features (stat tracking, matchmaking, leaderboards, rank systems, unlockables, co-op is pretty much the norm, etc.).

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#2 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

1 better online play-wii ps3 360

2 fps on consoles starting with goldeneye sadly no fps today has split screen thanks to number 1

3 nintendo wii -motion sensing technology controller/wheel /zapper

4 nes-it evolved gamin if it werent there we wouldnt have lall these fun classics such as goldeneye mario bros etc

5 ps3-bluray

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
Online Gameplay/DLC for consoles
The Nintendo Wii (motio control)
The Nintendo DS (Stylus and Split Screen)
tktomo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 tktomo01
Member since 2008 • 1476 Posts
All true. I am in the position to agree with you, good sir.
Avatar image for kingcobrasoccer
kingcobrasoccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kingcobrasoccer
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts
i would add graphics to they have improved a lot through the years
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I would say.... a shifting of ideology from hardware to community.

We see this mostly with online, but online is now so much more than just playing multiplayer. There's idea that the gaming experience starts once you turn on your console and get connected to the community. See who's doing what. Check messages. See what's new for download. It now even extends outside of the console proper. You can check in with your slice of the community through the web.

The extent to which companies reach out to the public is unprecedented. Exciting times.

Avatar image for kingcobrasoccer
kingcobrasoccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 kingcobrasoccer
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts

I would say.... a shifting of ideology from hardware to community.

We see this mostly with online, but online is now so much more than just playing multiplayer. There's idea that the gaming experience starts once you turn on your console and get connected to the community. See who's doing what. Check messages. See what's new for download. It now even extends outside of the console proper. You can check in with your slice of the community through the web.

The extent to which companies reach out to the public is unprecedented. Exciting times.

VoodooHak
shows how much the world is globalized these days
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Online gaming, harddrive and general internet service integration, which is like the downloadable content but also patches and stuff, what used to require a recall, can now be a patch, as well as not having to buy magazine to get demos.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
I wouldn;t say any of those are really innovations, at least not among the top ones, they're more of "the most profound changes" that happened in console gaming
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

What do you believe are the top 5 gaming innovations since last gen (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast)?

Here's my list:

1. Online - without a doubt the most innovative implentation for console gaming in recent memory. Starting with the Dreamcast and honed on the Xbox and PS2 and now 360 and PS3. Although monthly fees (XBL), micro-transactions, and taking the spot light off of splitscreen play, it still is a very welcoming feature that has changed the way we play our games.

2. Downloadable Content - I use this term in a general sense. I'm talking about all the expansion packs, Xbox Live Arcade games, PSN games, Wii-ware games, and the Virtual Console. Obviously there are plenty of useless downloads that are a waste of money (ie. horse armor), but I think this feature as a whole has had a positive impact on the industry and us, the consumers. Not only does it allow developers to expand upon their games after release, but it saves us the gas money and time to go to the store and pick up these expansions. Plus, it gives independant developers a chance to get into the industry.

3. Motion Sensing - Some may be skeptical of this, but thats only because its in its early stages of development. Clearly other companies are interested (Sony putting the 6-Axis in right after Nintendo unveiled it at E3), so I think we see it being perfected over the next few gens.

4. User Interfaces - I don't believe this should be considered all that "innovative", but they have definitely become a huge priority for the big 3. Sony with their Home system, Microsoft with their NXE, and Nintendo with their Mii's. It seems the more intuitive and more multi-media features available, the better the user interface is.

5. First Person Shooters - I think I'm going to get some flack for putting this in the list, but at least listen to my reasoning behind it. The FPS genre wasn't always an oversaturated genre with tons of clones and mediocre games. But for console gaming, I believe the FPS is the genre that has evolved the most over the last 2 generations of consoles. What did we have during the N64/PS gen? Goldeneye and Perfect Dark? Now we have so many blockbuster FPS titles, all with a plethora of different features (stat tracking, matchmaking, leaderboards, rank systems, unlockables, co-op is pretty much the norm, etc.).

Trinexxx

Could you say console innovation please ? I mean PC had online play, FPS, we had User Interfaces, and downloadable content.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
Since when was copying what the PC did many years ago called innovation?
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jade_Monkey

Since when was copying what the PC did many years ago called innovation?XaosII

Since console users must make themselves feel like their toys accomplished anything.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 coakroach
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts

2 fps on consoles starting with goldeneye sadly no fps today has split screen thanks to number 1

mariokart64fan
Oh how it pains me so...
BBwlovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BBwlovers
Member since 2008 • 126 Posts
Online!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the #1 Innovation imo, yes pc has been doing this since the 90s but a little 200 dollar console doing this is pure greatness!
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jade_Monkey

Online!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the #1 Innovation imo, yes pc has been doing this since the 90s but a little 200 dollar console doing this is pure greatness! BBwlovers

Consoles: the little engine that could. I don't give credit to things just because they have low expectations.

BBwlovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BBwlovers

[QUOTE="BBwlovers"]Online!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the #1 Innovation imo, yes pc has been doing this since the 90s but a little 200 dollar console doing this is pure greatness! Jade_Monkey

Consoles: the little engine that could. I don't give credit to things just because they have low expectations.

Cute, did you make that up yourself.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="BBwlovers"]Online!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the #1 Innovation imo, yes pc has been doing this since the 90s but a little 200 dollar console doing this is pure greatness! BBwlovers

Yes I did. No need to give praise to me. Oh what the heck you can keep the praise coming.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
Since when was copying what the PC did many years ago called innovation?XaosII
I know, I thought this list was quite funny. The only thing that consoles did originally was motion sensing. It's kind of funny how some console users completely knock the PC when almost everything that they have now in their precious consoles was introduced by PC's first. Pretty ironic, isn't it?
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fire-of-Njozi
Member since 2009 • 468 Posts
1.) Online gaming on consoles. 2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre 3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. 4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. 5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jade_Monkey

1.) Online gaming on consoles. 2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre 3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. 4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. 5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree.Fire-of-Njozi

Your just regurgitating what the OP said, stuff he got owned on in the sense that consoles didn't do it first.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
The only thing that consoles did originally was motion sensing. DragonfireXZ95
Actualy as hilarious as it is even motion sensing isn't new. Nintendo actualy licensed patents from Gyration, a company making motion sensing 3D mouses for PC and then hired then to design Wiimote :D
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]1.) Online gaming on consoles. 2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre 3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. 4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. 5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree.

You really believe that xbox invented universal voice chat? That's nonsense. Also, what Jade_Monkey said is true. You did just repeat the others.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]The only thing that consoles did originally was motion sensing. AdrianWerner
Actualy as hilarious as it is even motion sensing isn't new. Nintendo actualy licensed patents from Gyration, a company making motion sensing 3D mouses for PC and then hired then to design Wiimote :D

Wasn't the power glove considered motion sensing? I thought it was... Maybe I'm wrong?
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fire-of-Njozi

[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]1.) Online gaming on consoles. 2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre 3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. 4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. 5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree.Jade_Monkey

Your just regurgitating what the OP said, stuff he got owned on in the sense that consoles didn't do it first.

? 1.) I didn't read the OP. 2.) I stand by everything I listed within their respective spaces. those things that were on PC first are things I'm very aware of. It does not, however, change the fact that they were big innovations when they came to the console space, as they had never been done on consoles before.
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fire-of-Njozi
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]1.) Online gaming on consoles. 2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre 3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. 4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. 5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree.

You really believe that xbox invented universal voice chat? That's nonsense. Also, what Jade_Monkey said is true. You did just repeat the others.

Universal voicechat? Yes, I do. I hope you're not going to say PC, unless I missed the years where every PC came with a microphone/headset. When I say "universal voicechat", I mean a service that came with headsets that saw mass adoption. thanks for trying.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]1.) Online gaming on consoles. 2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre 3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. 4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. 5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree.Fire-of-Njozi

? 1.) I didn't read the OP. 2.) I stand by everything I listed within their respective spaces. those things that were on PC first are things I'm very aware of. It does not, however, change the fact that they were big innovations when they came to the console space, as they had never been done on consoles before.

1. That's your own fault

2. Considering this is a thread titled "Top 5 Innovations of Gaming in the last 2 gens" it don't mean jack that it was big for consoles, it matters to all gaming and in these cases PC already stepped on your moon and colonized it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]1.) Online gaming on consoles. 2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre 3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. 4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. 5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree.

Universal voicechat? Yes, I do. I hope you're not going to say PC, unless I missed the years where every PC came with a microphone/headset. When I say "universal voicechat", I mean a service that came with headsets that saw mass adoption. thanks for trying.

I didn't realize that every xbox gamer had a headset. Because I don't see that many people online actually using them when I play. However, when I played Counter-strike, tons of people had them.
BBwlovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BBwlovers

[QUOTE="BBwlovers"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

Jade_Monkey

Yes I did. No need to give praise to me. Oh what the heck you can keep the praise coming.

No need to give praise to you bro but good post, you tried.
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fire-of-Njozi
[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]1.) Online gaming on consoles. 2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre 3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. 4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. 5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree.Jade_Monkey

1. That's your own fault

2. Considering this is a thread titled "Top 5 Innovations of Gaming in the last 2 gens" it don't mean jack that it was big for consoles, it matters to all gaming and in these cases PC already stepped on your moon and colonized it.

1.) no, it's nobody's "fault". we just share the same opinion. that's not a "problem". It just...is.

2.) I know what the topic title says. and I feel the things I listed had the biggest overall impact in GAMING in the last 2 gens. The topic title doesn't suggest they had to be things that impacted every area of gaming. they just had to have a great impact wherever they were. sorry, but you can't convince me that online gaming coming to consoles wasn't a watershed moment in gaming overall. you can't convince me that the evolution of sandbox gaming and the evolution of the FPS over the last two generations hasn't damn near typified gaming in general. you can't convince me that Xbox Live's inclusion of microphones STANDARD WITH THE SERVICE didn't help to make Live one leaders in online gaming in the opinions of the people. you can't convince me that motion controls won't make a gigantic impact on gaming in general over the next generation and then some.

there's nothing wrong with my thoughts. in case you didn't know, there is no right or wrong answer anyway. It's all subjective. Just because the OP shared some of my thoughts doesn't mean anything is a problem. Perhaps he just didn't have the best reasoning for them...but again, I don't really care what he listed anyway. I simply responded to the topic title.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jade_Monkey

1.) no, it's nobody's "fault". we just share the same opinion. that's not a "problem". It just...is.

2.) I know what the topic title says. and I feel the things I listed had the biggest overall impact in GAMING in the last 2 gens. The topic title doesn't suggest they had to be things that impacted every area of gaming. they just had to have a great impact wherever they were. sorry, but you can't convince me that online gaming coming to consoles wasn't a watershed moment in gaming overall. you can't convince me that the evolution of sandbox gaming and the evolution of the FPS over the last two generations hasn't damn near typified gaming in general. you can't convince me that Xbox Live's inclusion of microphones STANDARD WITH THE SERVICE didn't help to make Live one leaders in online gaming in the opinions of the people. you can't convince me that motion controls won't make a gigantic impact on gaming in general over the next generation and then some.

there's nothing wrong with my thoughts. in case you didn't know, there is no right or wrong answer anyway. It's all subjective. Just because the OP shared some of my thoughts doesn't mean anything is a problem. Perhaps he just didn't have the best reasoning for them...but again, I don't really care what he listed anyway. I simply responded to the topic title.Fire-of-Njozi

I guess I can't convince you that water is wet or that fire is hot can I. Facts seem to be worthless to you.

Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fire-of-Njozi
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] You really believe that xbox invented universal voice chat? That's nonsense. Also, what Jade_Monkey said is true. You did just repeat the others.

I didn't realize that every xbox gamer had a headset. Because I don't see that many people online actually using them when I play. However, when I played Counter-strike, tons of people had them.

I'm pretty sure that every Xbox Live account for the original Xbox came with a headset. I could be wrong, but I don't remember an option to purchase Xbox Live without the starter kit. Even if some didn't have headsets, the expeerience I recall having when I first got Xbox Live (first month it came out) along with MechAssault was an awesome moment in gaming for me. I had been a PC-only gamer for a few years before the PS2/Xbox...and I had been playing games like StarCraft and Unreal Tournament '99 online on PC for a long time. But nobody was using a mic. Not really. And certainly no big groups. Most of the type we'd just type "gg" and that would be it. Xbox Live, for the first time, made voicechat across games seem normal. No PC online game I had played before then did that. Not that they didn't offer voice support...but it was neither particularly popular nor particularly common. And again, that's when I was 100% hermit.
Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fire-of-Njozi

[QUOTE="Fire-of-Njozi"]

there's nothing wrong with my thoughts. in case you didn't know, there is no right or wrong answer anyway. It's all subjective. Just because the OP shared some of my thoughts doesn't mean anything is a problem. Perhaps he just didn't have the best reasoning for them...but again, I don't really care what he listed anyway. I simply responded to the topic title.Jade_Monkey

I guess I can't convince you that water is wet or that fire is hot can I. Facts seem to be worthless to you.

yes...and your replies to me thus far have been full of facts. wake me when you actually have an argument to rebut my thoughts. otherwise, don't bother. my 1-4 were pretty clearly presented. but I'll do it again for you:

1.) Online gaming on consoles. (yes. it exploded a new segment of console gaming)

2.) The evolution we've seen in the FPS genre (yes, the FPS genre grew in major ways over the last 2 generations)

3.) Sandbox games. Started by Rockstar, it's become a true staple genre. inFamous, Prototype, Spiderman, Superman, Crackdown and several others owe their existence to Rockstar's sandbox growth. (yes, the sandbox genre grew up over the last 2 generations...and will only get bigger)

4.) Voicechat in online games (Xbox Live in particular). The Xbox pioneered universal voice chat for all online gamers. It took the online experience to new heights. (yes, having a ton of original Xbox users gaming with a microphone as part of the Live kit meant a very refreshing gaming experience, regardless of platform)

5.) Motion controls. They've breathed new life into Nintendo and probably changed the future of console gaming. I think it's fair to expect that every nextGen console will utilize motion controls to some degree. (yes, motion controls are part of the future. and they took hold to the market this generation. Note: I didn't say they STARTED this generation; I said that they took hold to the market this generation and changed the future of gaming...starting now).

jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts

1- online

2- GTA 3D

3- motion sensing

4- bluray

5-cell

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

1. Online matchmaking. Sadly, people have a different view on matchmaking than it should be. Bungie created a great matchmaking system in halo 2, but it got butchered by other developers. The original matchmaking from halo 2, and present in halo 3 is a great idea for online gaming.

2. (attempt at) Persistend worlds. Where the world really reacts to what the player really does.

3. First person platforming, or Mirror's edge to be exact.

4. Skating games reinvention. The tony hawk way of skating games has made way for EA's Skate 1 and 2, which feels much more natural, and smooth.

5. Can you count MMORPG's in these 2 gens innovations? If so it would be #1 probably.

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]Since when was copying what the PC did many years ago called innovation?Jade_Monkey

Since console users must make themselves feel like their toys accomplished anything.

ive just got back in to pc gaming after about 8 year. i hope to god i never become like you guys
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
In no specific order; 1. Online Play 2. The Wii itself. 3. User-created content 4. Blu-ray 5.... cant think of another.
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

1. Consoles and their GUI's. It's become a major part of any console this generation and even handhelds have adopted them. They receive updates and extra features every now-and-then. I personally think this is number one this generation.

2. Firmware updates are surely one of my favorite things. Consoles aren't just stuck to being they same. They can be improved if the need/want is there and it's a great thing for consumers.

3. Online has become involved in just about everything. Communication, multiplayer, DLC, updates, etc. It helps players feel like they are connected to a network of their peers and friends. Though, it's still no substitute to being together with your friends.

4. DLC has become a major addition to this generation and I love it. I enjoy being able to purchase my old favorites on my Wii from the comfort of my home. Plus, it allows smaller developers to get their feet wet in programming and you can see some unique software that would not make it as a stand-alone game.

5. Motion controls are probably going to be the next evolution of gaming. While not perfectly utilized at the moment, the end of this generation should prove how great they really are. Actually, WM+ should help to prove the importance of motion controls.

MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts
[QUOTE="Trinexxx"]

Here's my list:

Um, just so you know, online multiplayer didn't start with the Dreamcast. SNES, and Genesis had it with Xband.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9161 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]The only thing that consoles did originally was motion sensing. DragonfireXZ95

Wasn't the power glove considered motion sensing? I thought it was... Maybe I'm wrong?

no, youre right. the powerglove had motion-sensing

angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts
Online is definitely the most important. I hate the DLC crap though, I wish it was never started, now we get un-finished games and they put the rest on as DLC for an extra price.
Innocentguy757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Innocentguy757
Member since 2004 • 5410 Posts
Everything Halo.
Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts
Wow, my thread got stormed by the hermit elitists more quickly than usual. Online play was innovative for consoles, even if it did just replicate what the PC has already done. Theres no winning with you hermits; if consoles never had online play you would bash them more, and since they do have online play they simply are just copying the PC. Ever think people enjoy playing consoles more than PCs and giving them the option to play online makes it even more enjoyable? I guess that would make too much sense, eh? Its innovative for console gaming, which is a faction of gaming. Deal with it.
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts

Could you say console innovation please ? I mean PC had online play, FPS, we had User Interfaces, and downloadable content.

Jade_Monkey
What other unified service could you use before Xbox Live that allowed users to connect, play, chat, message, download content, add friends etc?
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Wow, my thread got stormed by the hermit elitists more quickly than usual. Online play was innovative for consoles, even if it did just replicate what the PC has already done. Theres no winning with you hermits; if consoles never had online play you would bash them more, and since they do have online play they simply are just copying the PC. Ever think people enjoy playing consoles more than PCs and giving them the option to play online makes it even more enjoyable? I guess that would make too much sense, eh? Its innovative for console gaming, which is a faction of gaming. Deal with it.Trinexxx

No.

Its not innovative if PC was doing it at least ten years longer.

I think the most innovative thing for consoles is over the last two gens is the evolution of the wireless controller. Sure they were around before but they never really worked that well until the wavebird came along.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95
Wow, my thread got stormed by the hermit elitists more quickly than usual. Online play was innovative for consoles, even if it did just replicate what the PC has already done. Theres no winning with you hermits; if consoles never had online play you would bash them more, and since they do have online play they simply are just copying the PC. Ever think people enjoy playing consoles more than PCs and giving them the option to play online makes it even more enjoyable? I guess that would make too much sense, eh? Its innovative for console gaming, which is a faction of gaming. Deal with it.Trinexxx
As someone else said, all you had to do was say "console innovations." It's hardly innovation considering consoles were basically mini locked computers by the time they actually were well designed enough to be able to support online gaming and the like. By the way, shouldn't you be saying thank you to the PC? :P
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]Since when was copying what the PC did many years ago called innovation?doobie1975

ive just got back in to pc gaming after about 8 year. i hope to god i never become like you guys

What? You refuse to become someone that acknowledges the truth? I'd like you to correct what was wrong about my statement.

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
Xbox Live.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
There's been very few inovations recently, most so called "innovations" have been used before in a lower budget game. Regenerative health is the only ones i can think of, alot of the rest have existed fro a while. Motion sensing is quite new in the home gaming world but started off in the arcades many years ago. User interfaces havn't changed much since windows 3.1, if you used the filing system inteligently you could practically make it like any modern UI, all the new UIs have done is improve the visuals and make the small step from icons to thumbnails of the content. Online has existed for a while, maybe not on consoles but it has on PC and downloadable ccontent is just a small step up from content expansions which have been made for years sometimes by the developer and sometimes by users.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
Touch screen.