This is ain't no console war, this is a massacre

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
Xbone never had a chance
NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Agreed.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
It's sold out...
Shiftfallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Shiftfallout
Member since 2006 • 2635 Posts

Dont be so sure about that.

PS4 will sell at a loss. Third party publishers and developers will be less interested in making games for the PS4. Why? Because used games hurt them...it  hurts them bad. Retailers do not restock new copies when they can just put up more used games and make more profit for themselves. No restocking of new games = no profit for the publisher/developer.

So now what happens when the Xbox one or even the steambox start looking more appealing for those developers who are interested in not getting screwed over by the used game industry? Games are software, dont forget. Software is intellectual property and there are limitations tied to the sale and resale of software....and rightfully so.

IN the long term, Sony not only hurt themselves but they kept alive the very type of cannibalization the industry was trying to join hands to stop. When gamers are pro-used game, they are in essense anti-developer. Think about that for a second. Gamers rely on the developer to "feed" them games, yet oppose the very thing that keeps the game development going strong. Now that, my friend, is not very smart. It is ignorance at its best.

richsena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 richsena
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

As much as I don't like to join in the hyperbole of this forum, Sony has really put their best foot forward in their effort. They've also done a great job in taking jabs at the Xbox One which will surely get the attention of consumers. The price point is ultimately what will give them the big advantage early in the generation. I think Sony really wants to build a strong launch base much like Microsoft did with the Xbox 360. Microsoft has built a formidable brand with the Xbox, but I'm not sure it's enough to overcome the appeal of PS4 out of the gate.

$399.99 is such an aggressive price point, I was really shell shocked with that announcement.

ElectricEchoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ElectricEchoes
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

PS4 will sell at a loss. Third party publishers and developers will be less interested in making games for the PS4. Why? Because used games hurt them...it  hurts them bad. Retailers do not restock new copies when they can just put up more used games and make more profit for themselves. No restocking of new games = no profit for the publisher/developer.

So now what happens when the Xbox one or even the steambox start looking more appealing for those developers who are interested in not getting screwed over by the used game industry? Games are software, dont forget. Software is intellectual property and there are limitations tied to the sale and resale of software....and rightfully so.

IN the long term, Sony not only hurt themselves but they kept alive the very type of cannibalization the industry was trying to join hands to stop. When gamers are pro-used game, they are in essense anti-developer. Think about that for a second. Gamers rely on the developer to "feed" them games, yet oppose the very thing that keeps the game development going strong. Now that, my friend, is not very smart. It is ignorance at its best.

Shiftfallout
Publishers/developers also are interested in making games for the dominant system in the market. As it stands MS are in big trouble.
randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts

I like the xbox one better to be honest. I already have it pre ordered.

richsena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 richsena
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

Shiftfallout

I think you've made a couple of oversights in your observation. 1) Developers aren't "anti" used games, publishers are and 2) you're not giving the consumer enough credit. Sony is trying to build a PS2, Xbox 360 type launch base and selling their product's value. Sony, in my opinion, has created a clear cut superior value proposition for the consumer and its now their job to take advantage of that. It is udeniable that Microsoft is going to have a harder job trying to sell their machine over Sony's based on value. I commend Sony by putting their consumers first and ignoring the pressures of the industry.

Swedish_Chef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Swedish_Chef
Member since 2003 • 623 Posts
3rd party publishers worry about second hand games, sure... but you know what they worry about more? First hand game sales. They're not going to not develop for 1 console because they don't have DRM... But that's also not exactly true either, because people aren't talking about the fact that the PS4 will have DRM because people will buy digital copies of games, which all publishers like.
Shiftfallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Shiftfallout
Member since 2006 • 2635 Posts
[QUOTE="ElectricEchoes"] Publishers/developers also are interested in making games for the dominant system in the market. As it stands MS are in big trouble.

No I dont think microsoft is. If that were also true then there would be far more games on the PC, of which is technically the most dominant gaming system of all. They reason they lean towards consoles is because they have some form of control. The last generation showed them that they made a grave mistake and lost that control. So the answer was to make the next generation hardware anti-used game...but sony pulled a fast one and thought to out play microsoft despite opposing used games being of mutual interest. So now the situation is much worse, more muddy than before. MS is not in big trouble. They will have their exclusives and those who buy their console, they will have their secondary market sales and operating system exposure. Sony on the other hand just sent the wrong message to their third party developers and will lose out on the cost of console hardware being sold. In many ways PC gaming might really get a boost from all this.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

The stickies just massacred this pointless thread.