This can't be legal? (M$)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I just got gifted an Xbox one yesterday ,but because of work I haven't had time to get a game. So I downloaded Killer Instinct and I'm having a blast.

I'm liking the game so much, I start going for the achievements. So I go to check which one I want to do first and then I see achievements where you have to purchase something to unlock them.

WTF? I know this must be old, but how is this fair play? I don't care that much (not the type who needs 1000/1000) but some people take pride in their score. What if this gets to the point where it's like paying to get to the top of leaderboards.

I must say, I'm pretty disgusted

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

You think there's a law about unlocking achievements in a vidya game? Seriously?

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghost120x

@locopatho said:

You think there's a law about unlocking achievements in a vidya game? Seriously?

Of course not. It's kind of like how Google is changing the way it displays "Free" games on android. The practices on there are technically not illegal, but pretty unethical imo.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Ah buying achievements. Mmm, that sounds quite ridiculous.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

This can't be legal?

"legal"

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Did you download the free version of KI? And when you say 'purchase something', do you mean a fighter?

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghost120x

@RR360DD said:

Did you download the free version of KI? And when you say 'purchase something', do you mean a fighter?

It's in the achievement list. Things like "stylish jago"

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

It's basically just a free demo with one playable character. You pay to unlock the full game. I got the 20 dollar version and it's worth it in my opinion.

-edit-

Yeah the buy a costume for a character achievements are pretty dumb.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

An achievement is a terrible thing to waste.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

It's a free to play game, so technically, one of the achievements can indeed be 'bought something that 99% of the people won't buy.' It's a bit unfortunate, but it is what it is, Microsoft isn't exactly obligated to give you anything for free.

It's no different than the Xbox One Day One Edition Achievement, although yes, I suppose, it does feel a little shady.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This game was highly disappointing. Way too easy, you learn one character and it feels like you learned how the entire combo system works for every character. That doesn't sound so bad if you know nothing of the series, but for a LONG time series fan and a LONG TIME fan of fighters, this game was way too dumbed down for non-fans. It was DEFINITELY not the KI I expected being an arcade, SNES, and N64 KI fan. Of course, I knew going it at launch it was being made by a different developer with helpsies, but that dev is now owned by Amazon. Eh.

KI looks GREAT in videos. The game MAKES you feel like you are AMAZING, the problem is there is very little to being a bad ass in-comparison to high level fighting gameplay from other fighting games. It lacks that depth which is apparent once you play.

I kick ass in it, but people are babies and cuss and quit before the matches end. Whatever. It makes a good impression the first few hours until you learn how the game works.

I got the $20 version for free at Xbone launch due to high gamerscore.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Downloads free game. Plays free game. Gamerscore still 0. Mad at the world.

BAWAHAHAHAHA.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@SolidTy said:

This game was highly disappointing. Way to easy, you learn one character and it feels like you learned how the entire combo system works for every character. That doesn't sound so bad if you know nothing of the series, but for a LONG time series fan and a LONG TIME fan of fighters, this game was way too dumbed down for non-fans. It was DEFINITELY not the KI I expected being an arcade, SNES, and N64 KI fan. Of course, I knew going it at launch it was being made by a different developer with helpsies, but that dev is now owned by Amazon. Eh.

I kick ass in it, but people are babies and cuss and quit before the matches end. Whatever. It makes a good impression the first few hours until you learn how the game works.

Whoah, what? They respect high gamerscores? Where?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

This game was highly disappointing. Way too easy, you learn one character and it feels like you learned how the entire combo system works for every character. That doesn't sound so bad if you know nothing of the series, but for a LONG time series fan and a LONG TIME fan of fighters, this game was way too dumbed down for non-fans. It was DEFINITELY not the KI I expected being an arcade, SNES, and N64 KI fan. Of course, I knew going it at launch it was being made by a different developer with helpsies, but that dev is now owned by Amazon. Eh.

KI looks GREAT in videos. The game MAKES you feel like you are AMAZING, the problem is there is very little to being a bad ass in-comparison to high level fighting gameplay from other fighting games. It lacks that depth which is apparent once you play.

Xbox respects high gamerscores, they gave the game away to me for free. KI was a reward for buying and playing so many Xbox games.

I don't think many people respect high gamerscores though, ha. I'm just glad having a high score actually got me some swag for once, lol.

TC, basically you are playing a glorified demo and demos Do NOT get achievements. That's how it goes. I own the game and it's hardly a full game on my end either.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

It's more or less a demo unfortunately.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@SolidTy: we have to throw down sometime

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

I just got gifted an Xbox one yesterday ,but because of work I haven't had time to get a game. So I downloaded Killer Instinct and I'm having a blast.

I'm liking the game so much, I start going for the achievements. So I go to check which one I want to do first and then I see achievements where you have to purchase something to unlock them.

WTF? I know this must be old, but how is this fair play? I don't care that much (not the type who needs 1000/1000) but some people take pride in their score. What if this gets to the point where it's like paying to get to the top of leaderboards.

You don't have to purchase achievements. Perhaps you have to purchase other characters in order to get the achievement?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

um, there have been achievements in sony and ms games that require dlc to unlock for years. i dont see the problem.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

This game was highly disappointing. Way to easy, you learn one character and it feels like you learned how the entire combo system works for every character. That doesn't sound so bad if you know nothing of the series, but for a LONG time series fan and a LONG TIME fan of fighters, this game was way too dumbed down for non-fans. It was DEFINITELY not the KI I expected being an arcade, SNES, and N64 KI fan. Of course, I knew going it at launch it was being made by a different developer with helpsies, but that dev is now owned by Amazon. Eh.

Xbox respects high gamerscores, they gave the game away to me for free. KI was a reward for buying and playing so many Xbox games.

I don't think many people respect high gamerscores though, ha. I'm just glad having a high score actually got me some swag for once, lol.

TC, basically you are playing a glorified demo and demos doesn't get achievements. That's how it goes. I own the game and it's hardly a full game on my end either.

Hasn't MS been doing that for awhile now? I think I got some XBLA game because of my gamerscore a few years ago. I think it was Shadow Complex or something. Also, I watched the top 8 for KI at EVO and the game looked fantastic at a high level. Makes me jelly to not have a Xbox One.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

It's the same with a TON of games, if you want to Max out your Score on Skyrim you have to buy and download the DLC to get it, most games now with DLC go beyond 1000/1000, also, think about all the people who don't pay for XBL gold who cannot get the online achievements in most games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I don't understand why people think achievements are a big deal anyway. They add nothing tangible to a game.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

It's morality wrong

/uninspiredcup

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I don't see what's the legal issue

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

MS up to its dastardly deeds once again.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

you downloaded a free game, and got mad you have to pay for more?

lol

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Dat Microshit innovation.

Thank you based Phil.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

The OP is wrong. You win in game currency by playing the game. When you unlock different costumes youll get rewards such as "Stylish Jago" SMH. If people want to buy this with real money, then its their choice.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

*sigh* Achievements....what ever happened to playing the game for entertainment/fun. It's like everyone needs to be graded against others now to prove worth.